• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Vashetti

Banned
I'll never understand the hate for the KH II's prologe. When "Kingdom Hearts II" finally pops up in the screen after that cutscene showing Sora waking up you get the feeling that a great journey is just ahead as a great game. Thank you, Nomura. *manlytears

Funny, my feeling was "thank fuck that's over".

botty

Banned
GOY5MN6.gif

Deep Space blobmob as I described.

^_^'

Kinsei

Banned
Marluxia is the last Absent Silhouette fight I have left.

Any tips?

Use the aerial counter reaction command instead of the one that restores your counter. After you block his combo that starts with him pulling you in with a whirlwind go to his right side away from the scythe to activate in.

In the second phase use firaga right as the cherry blossoms disapper after he teleports to stop him from creating the pools of death. The timing is pretty specific so it will take a few trys to get right, but you should be able to get it.

His first DM (the scythe spin) is easy to dodge. Once he gets close to you just start keep walking in a tight circle around him while locked on to him. His second DM is harder to avaoid, but still not that tough. Angle the camera so you can as close to a top down view as possible and just keep walking around avoiding the death gysers and when he starts his combo at the end reflect spam through it.

demonkaze

So I just finished Terra's story on critical on BBS and then started Ventus' and at the first save point, while not paying complete attention, I overwrote the completed Terra save file >.<

Am I screwed out of the critical trophy now (or just the plat, of which I probably won't go for) or the Final/Secret Episodes?

Falk

that puzzling face
... yes on all three counts

edit: Actually I'm not so sure, when you go into the game's extras, does it show Terra as completed? Because the conditions for unlocking Secret Episode are pretty lax on Critical if I remember, so it really depends on the game's logic for checking. Not that I've tried it myself obviously. You're definitely SoL on platinum though since you needed to go back and do the extra bosses on Terra's file.

I'd just do Ventus and Aqua on Critical and see what happens, and if it doesn't unlock, shrug and bum-rush through Terra again.

Kinsei

Banned
So I just finished Terra's story on critical on BBS and then started Ventus' and at the first save point, while not paying complete attention, I overwrote the completed Terra save file >.<

Am I screwed out of the critical trophy now (or just the plat, of which I probably won't go for) or the Final/Secret Episodes?

Did you get the Xehanort report by beating the Weaver Fever arena match with Terra? If not you're gonna have to replay his story to get the final and secret episodes.

I think it keeps record of you completing Terras story (you can check it in the main menu if there is the trinity report option). If thats the case and you got all Xehanort Reports with him I think you will be able to unlock Final+Secret and the critical trophy but you will need to start a new game with him if you want the platinum since you need to 100% all 3 characters.

demonkaze

... yes on all three counts

edit: Actually I'm not so sure, when you go into the game's extras, does it show Terra as completed?

So in other words, i've got to redo Terra on Critical? Jesus, I think my urge to keep playing this game took a complete nosedive >.< I mean, yeah, I accept its my fault, should have been paying attention but on the other hand, why even let me access Terra's save file on a different character's playthrough.

So in other words, i've got to redo Terra on Critical? Jesus, I think my urge to keep playing this game took a complete nosedive >.< I mean, yeah, I accept its my fault, should have been paying attention but on the other hand, why even let me access Terra's save file on a different character's playthrough.

If you got the Xehanort reports on your Critical run and it keeps track of it you might be fine with beginner mode run with Terra.

Kinsei

Banned

If you have the trinity report on the title screen and you can view Terra's cutscenes and timeline you'll be fine if you got the reports..

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm actually kind of frustrated that the one legitimate chance for sorting out the terrible save/game state confusion for BBS got squandered. Even something as simple as a better UI for displaying unlock conditions/fulfillment would have sorted things out somewhat. The ideal situation would have been a save state overhaul so every save file had all 3 character's progress stored. It's not like there's PSP infrastructure limitations anymore. Would also mean no combat level glitch. (Ugh)

Finished Sephiroth yesterday and on to the last boss, I will most likely come back later to do the data replica's. I also started BBS, but I'm not sure if I should go proud or critical. I usually play it on proud, and ?I thought it was said here that critical isn't all that fun.

demonkaze

Just checked and I still have the Trinity Archives at the title screen and I did get all of Terra's reports. So if I do decide to go for the platinum, I can go back and do a beginner run of Terra to complete his report?

Ludist210

I picked this up from Best Buy yesterday for $30. The only games in the series I haven't played to this point are Re:coded (which I own) and Birth by Sleep (which I don't own). Looking forward to trying Birth by Sleep (finally).

Kinsei

Banned
I picked this up from Best Buy yesterday for $30. The only games in the series I haven't played to this point are Re:coded (which I own) and Birth by Sleep (which I don't own). Looking forward to trying Birth by Sleep (finally).

If you haven't seen/played 2FM yet I'd reccommend you do that first. The new cutscenes and LW add a lot to BbS.

Just checked and I still have the Trinity Archives at the title screen and I did get all of Terra's reports. So if I do decide to go for the platinum, I can go back and do a beginner run of Terra to complete his report?

Probably but I'd suggest not starting a new Terra file until you have unlocked the Secret Episode just in case it overwrites something.

I have a question. About to Start KH2 for the first time, so what difficulty should I do? I found KH1 on standard to be fairly easy except for the last 2 world where it got a bit more difficult (but still not too hard). I found COM to be pretty fucking hard on standard (but was still able to beat it). So what difficulty would be best? I see that there's also a secret ending you can get so if I wanted to get it how would that factor in? Thanks.

iosefe

I have a question. About to Start KH2 for the first time, so what difficulty should I do? I found KH1 on standard to be fairly easy except for the last 2 world where it got a bit more difficult (but still not too hard). I found COM to be pretty fucking hard on standard (but was still able to beat it). So what difficulty would be best? I see that there's also a secret ending you can get so if I wanted to get it how would that factor in? Thanks.

Critical, pick whichever struggle bat based on what bonus you want (STR, MAG, DEF,) but for a little bit easier abilities wise, pick Shield at the Awakening

Shahadan

Aqua sounds bored whatever happens around her. Or half bored, half depressed.
I think some people said that about the actress' performance in Arrow too so that's probably her every day voice.

Even on the command board. "That's the way :|"

Critical, pick whichever struggle bat based on what bonus you want (STR, MAG, DEF,) but for a little bit easier abilities wise, pick Shield at the Awakening

How Challenging is Critical? I found COM extremely frustrating and don't want another experience like that while playing this, so how would critical compare to standard on the first 2 games? I'm leaning towards proud but is there any other real benefit for critical?

Kinsei

Banned

Critical is the only difficulty worth a damn in KH2. On critical you just have to beat all of the super bosses to get the secret ending.

I'd recommend selecting the staff at the beginning of the game. Sure, you won't get once more or second chance until later, but you get thunder boost early and that makes you damn near invincible against regular enemies.

How Challenging is Critical? I found COM extremely frustrating and don't want another experience like that while playing this, so how would critical compare to standard on the first 2 games? I'm leaning towards proud but is there any other real benefit for critical?

Standard and Proud are mind numbingly easy outside of two story bosses, one mandatory fight against regular enemies, and the optional bosses.

Pandacon

I just beat 1.5 over this last week, just normal playthroughs, didn't try for 100% or anything.

I started KH2 yesterday, all this brings back a lot of memories since I haven't played the KH games since their original release. But man, Twilight Town was still rough to get through, a good example of too much talking, not enough fighting. I wanted to do more of those fights with the foam bats. I'm also spending too much time building and rebuilding my Gummi Ships.

I dearly miss my roll ability, I hope I get it soon.

I love this series, why do they take so long to give me more.

Critical is the only difficulty worth a damn in KH2. On critical you just have to beat all of the super bosses to get the secret ending.

I'd recommend selecting the staff at the beginning of the game. Sure, you won't get once more or second chance until later, but you get thunder boost early and that makes you damn near invincible against regular enemies.

Standard and Proud are mind numbingly easy outside of two story bosses, one mandatory fight against regular enemies, and the optional bosses.

^that about answers it

it means you have to take some care during some battles, too

Cool, thanks guys. Guess I'm doing critical hoping it's not too too hard.

Aru

Silhouette Marluxia is a pain in the ass. Will try again later.

Man, Combo Master is such a great ability. Glad they put it in this game too.

Aqua sounds bored whatever happens around her. Or half bored, half depressed.
I think some people said that about the actress' performance in Arrow too so that's probably her every day voice.

Even on the command board. "That's the way :|"

I'm not sure about that. Though I'm not familiar with Arrow, I've seen her work on Gossip Girl and she's wildly expressive in her role there. And one need only look up an interview to know that flat boredom is not her default tone of voice.

No, I think I'm going to chalk it up to whoever was in charge of directing her voicework for this one.

Silhouette Marluxia is a pain in the ass. Will try again later.

Man, Combo Master is such a great ability. Glad they put it in this game too.

Combo Master was always in KH2, I'm pretty sure.

But yeah, going back and adding it to KH 1.5 is a huge deal for the quality of the combat, I think, especially considering how awesome the new finishers for KHFM are.

Man, imagine KH1 with Finishing Plus.

Psxphile

Reached the mid-point with Aqua. Now that she's buffed up a bit and acquired her first MegaFlare, she has become the Great Destructor. Time to shift back to Ventus and finish up the second set of worlds. I'll just keep hopping around each character's scenarios in this way until I reach the end.

something something spoiler-ish something:
After meeting wittle Kairi Aqua gains Destiny's Embrace, the same keyblade Kairi gets from Riku in KH2. While it could be seen as a neat reference to a keyblade that got so little screentime and even less of an explanation, you can also turn it around and see it as an inheritance.

I can see the same happening in KH III actually, but instead of Roxas we play as Kairi in the prologue.

fixed for accuracy

On the subject of BBS VA direction, most everyone else save for Terra and Aqua played their roles well. The old and new Disney pros did quite well with the few lines they had, and Hamill and Nimoy were excellent as the old Masters. Jesse and Haley hit their roles out of the park as per usual, even if Haley still sounds too old for Sora. His Vanitas was great though.

Shahadan

So....in the inevitable Frozen world in KH3, will there be songs? We need to know.

At least an annoying and awful snowman building minigame.

HeelPower

So....in the inevitable Frozen world in KH3, will there be songs? We need to know.

At least an annoying and awful snowman building minigame.

I expect something like Beast's castle.

First fight you calm down Elsa and another fight against the(Frozen end of movie spoilers if you haven't watched)
underwhelming Hans and then it ends with Elsa saving Anna through the power of love.

Valus

I got 1.5 & 2.5 for xmas so I started playing KH1:FM the other day on Proud mode. Took staff, sacrificed sword. Went with the slow burner exp table. I got completely wrecked by the Trickster in Wonderland. Like, terrible. I think I need to go back to the area and interact with the room more to make the fight easier or something because once he gets to the fireplace all he does is just spam fireballs till the end of time. Such an annoying fight. :(

Psxphile

because once he gets to the fireplace all he does is just spam fireballs till the end of time. Such an annoying fight. :(

You can cast Blizzard into the vent underneath the stove to turn it off. No more fireball spam. You might have to do this every once in a while since it doesn't stay off for very long.

I'm fighting Roxas's Data Battle just for fun now even if I already defeated him several times, this is my favorite battle of the whole series, it's so much fun.

You're not inspiring much confidence in me if the data org battles are giving you a hard time. I feel like I'm going to regret going for the plat on a critical run ;_;

I'm not very good at this game so don't worry that much about it haha, just learn to block properly and you&#8217;ll be fine, it also helps to read online the best strategies for the boss fights as some are just weird.

The feeling of clearing everything in Critical Mode is worth it so far.

I'm fighting Roxas's Data Battle just for fun now even if I already defeated him several times, this is my favorite battle of the whole series, it's so much fun.

I'm not very good at this game so don't worry that much about it haha, just learn to block properly and you’ll be fine, it also helps to read online the best strategies for the boss fights as some are just weird.

The feeling of clearing everything in Critical Mode is worth it so far.
Yeah I hear ya. I just finished the story battle with Roxas and man, it's such a good fight. Music, choreography, and difficulty. It felt like Dark Souls with the amount of rolling and dodging I did. I wanted to be more stylish but I don't have all of his moves memorized so I got hit. I look forward to the data battle &#128528;

I finally beat KH2.
:)
:'(
Feels so weird, it's a game i've chipped away at over an 8 year period...and now it's done. Such a great ending compared to the awful intro...which now seeing the ending, I actually don't mind as much because all those questions and new characters that were ignored are actually explained in the end.
I can't see myself playing on the harder difficulties, but I will level up Sora to 99 and deal with the extra bosses.

A few questions:
1) There's two missing cutscenes in the theater mode. One I think is from Sephiroth, but how do I unlock the last one?
2) What's the best way to progress in the series now? I own the 2 DS games and the 3DS game, while Birth By Sleep and RE:coded's story is the rest of 2.5
Are the DS games worth playing or is the HD collections extended movie versions the better way to take them?

Falk

that puzzling face
Re:Coded is a fun time and a chance to revisit classic worlds with updated combat.

Problem is it's on a DS which depending on your tolerance for shit controls may make you rage at life.

Soriku

I just got 99 hits on Mushroom VIII.

Turn off all MP abilities on Sora, equip Fatal Crest, have Thundaga on a shortcut, and use Wisdom Form. Once you pull out the Mushroom, keep casting Thundaga until you run out of MP. Then just keep spamming Wisdom Form's regular attack until your MP fills again, then start the process again by spamming Thundaga until you run out of MP again, then just keep shooting. I had to close in on it a few times once it got a bit far.

Took several tries, but it's possible.

Falk

that puzzling face
That's probably exactly one of the things everyone's been trying. You got lucky. It's like saying 'guys i got 0.00 on chocobo racing on my 2nd try'

I dare you to do it till you get it again.

:mad:

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
A few questions:
1) There's two missing cutscenes in the theater mode. One I think is from Sephiroth, but how do I unlock the last one?
2) What's the best way to progress in the series now? I own the 2 DS games and the 3DS game, while Birth By Sleep and RE:coded's story is the rest of 2.5
Are the DS games worth playing or is the HD collections extended movie versions the better way to take them?

The last movie is the Secret Movie. You unlock by fulfilling a certain requirement then beating Xemnas again.
On Standard: Complete Jiminy's Journal and all the Gummi Missions (or get all the treasures, I forget)
On Proud: Just complete Jiminy's Journal.
On Critical: Get the Golden Crown by beating the Mushroom XIII, the Data Organization and the Lingering Will.

358/2 Days is odd... the movie cuts out some important parts, but the game isn't very good. I'd still say watch the movie.
Then play Birth by Sleep FM
Then either watch Re:coded or play it.
All this leads into Dream Drop Distance. Up to you if you want to play it on 3DS, or wait for the possible HD version that's been teased.

Top Bottom