• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Famassu

Come on, DDD is not that bad!

The story is shit, the pokemons are shit and flowmotion is broken but... well, yeah it's a somewhat shit game.

But you get to play as Riku and use Dark Splicer, so it's totally OK.
Only petting the pokemon is shit, otherwise they give some fun offensive abilities during combat and provide an ok way of character development/ability managment. Flowmotion is a fun way to get around levels and gets progressively less broken (at least combat-wise) by the end of the game.

Just finished the final mission or whatever of BBS. Maybe I'm missing something but those final fights sucked. All I did was spam dodge and get in a few hits every once in a while. I liked the ending though
Aqua deserved better.
Going to watch the secret ending on youtube after dinner.

Soriku

Yes, beat Data Xaldin! I didn't know you can spam triangle a bunch of times when the prompt come up and steal a ton of Jumps. Guardian Soul might've helped, but I went with Ultima Weapon for this particular fight for the faster MP healing. That helped me do good damage in the beginning, then I just had to keep up with Reflects and healing. Once he got to his last 3-4 life bars, I finished him with spamming a few Jumps and then comboing him with Final Form.

Xemnas is last. Imma get you bitch.

botty

Banned
I feel like Dream Drop Distance fails to do anything particularly better than any other game in the series... which is odd, since the other games do that, too.

KH1: the OG
KH2: the gameplay/speed/bosses
KH:com: unique gameplay
KH re:coded: diverse gameplay
KHdays: story/multiplayer
BBS: Aqua
DDD: ???

It really has nothing.... unless you were really into Nintendogs.
iboyJrJ8MEK8RS.gif

I feel like Dream Drop Distance fails to do anything particularly better than any other game in the series... which is odd, since the other games do that, too.

iboyJrJ8MEK8RS.gif

...best Riku?

iboyJrJ8MEK8RS.gif

It does have the most diverse OST out of any game in the series, at least. That has to count for something.

Playable Riku is a pretty awesome addition for me, considering he also borrows commands from Aqua's and Terra's movesets. Appropriate that he should learn from the best!

Famassu

iboyJrJ8MEK8RS.gif
It's perhaps not the best in anything, but even the craziness of the end is way preferable to the endless sea salt icecream of Days and pointlessness of Coded, the combat is (almost) on par with BBS and it has some neat worlds (TWEWY, Fantasia, Tron) + it actually does have the best OST in the series.

Shahadan

I don't know why they called it Limit Form tbh (well it uses limits, yes). Considering you basically transform into KH1 Sora.
I don't know how it is called in japanese though.

In french they chose something that could be translated as Remembrance Form and I kinda like that better.

Finalow

it is true that sora asks for riku a lot, everytime you enter a new world or zone even he shouts "RIIIKU?" or asks to someone "DID U SEE MAH RIKU? Oh yeah and the king, maybe that kaira-something girl too?" to the point that he becomes even more retarded than what he already was.

Finally got this and started!

Holy shit is the intro more terrible every time I play it. This should be a crime.

I absolutely hate this part of the game. So much that when I had it for the PS2, I only had one play through and when I tried to replay the game again (numerous times) I would always quit within the first 30 minutes and never get past the Roxas part. I hope I can get through it this time, it's been what? 8 years? Haha

RK128

iboyJrJ8MEK8RS.gif

Well, the game has a great OST that is very varied across its seven/eight worlds, a fun combat system that (while broken) is a lot of fun to play with, the worlds are a lot of fun to explore (a great mix of platforming and combat), a surprisingly solid camera system and (I think at least) great use of the 3DS's touch screen with the reality shift moves.

The story is.....something to say the least and the game isn't that hard if you are level 40+ by the end, but I enjoyed the game :). Granted, I never played BbS yet (plan to soon though; it is great to finally have the means to play the thing via 2.5 collection :D), but I enjoyed this games combat system a lot and that was based on BbS's combat system :).

I guess they made this games story so....meh in an attempt to set up KH3. Man, its is sure going to be fun to see how crazy that games story will be XD.

botty

Banned
The Roxas sections really aren't bad at all... and probably offer up the best "world" experience in the game. Twilight town could arguably be considered the most lively world in the series, and that only comes about because of Roxas' ability to interact with Twilight Town in so many ways: He has friends, rivals, his own secret hang out, jobs, actual town residents, the functioning trolleys, the tunnel system, the town's lore/urban legends, and recreation in the form of struggle battles.

I think the real issue people have with it is how disconnected it is from the rest of the story since you don't actually get to continue using Roxas. Imagine if KH2 was a stand alone game, where Roxas was the main character and went off on his own journey. There would be no disappointment because the prologue would flow into the main story in a familiar and seamless way. It kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy X, and how Tidus has his prologue section with blitz ball and Zanarkand or Cloud in Midgar. You start in these places, get introduced to the characters, experience their "normal" lives for a moment, and then you're thrown into the real game. The only difference here is that you go from Roxas to Sora, with nothing that happened in Twilight Town having much weight.

Think about this: The Kingdom Hearts 1 prologue is far more boring and tedious than the KH2 prologue, yet no one complains about it much. I think it's because you transition into the main game with the character you started with.

/khblogs

The problem I have with the KH2 opening is the fact that it takes too long, and yes, I know I will not be using Roxas for long so I just want to start using the character that I will be using for the remainder of the game and start leveling up and fighting enemies/bosses. And also, I hate with a passion, forced mini games.

botty

Banned
The problem I have with the KH2 opening is the fact that it takes too long, and yes, I know I will not be using Roxas for long so I just want to start using the character that I will be using for the remainder of the game and start leveling up and fighting enemies/bosses. And also, I hate with a passion, forced mini games.

There are only 2 forced mini games in the Roxas prologue. One of which you can beat by mashing triangle. :/

Finalow

zzz

in order to get the last orichalcum+ from moogle I need to finish all the mushroom challenges if I'm reading things right?

also I just did the run on TWTNW 2 times and went from 47 to 54, with both experience boosts equipped. now if there are no more experience boosts I have to say that it's pretty fucking slow to get at lvl99.

RK128

The Roxas sections really aren't bad at all... and probably offer up the best "world" experience in the game. Twilight town could arguably be considered the most lively world in the series, and that only comes about because of Roxas' ability to interact with Twilight Town in so many ways: He has friends, rivals, his own secret hang out, jobs, actual town residents, the functioning trolleys, the tunnel system, the town's lore/urban legends, and recreation in the form of struggle battles.

I think the real issue people have with it is how disconnected it is from the rest of the story since you don't actually get to continue using Roxas. Imagine if KH2 was a stand alone game, where Roxas was the main character and went off on his own journey. There would be no disappointment because the prologue would flow into the main story in a familiar and seamless way. It kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy X, and how Tidus has his prologue section with blitz ball and Zanarkand or Cloud in Midgar. You start in these places, get introduced to the characters, experience their "normal" lives for a moment, and then you're thrown into the real game. The only difference here is that you go from Roxas to Sora, with nothing that happened in Twilight Town having much weight.

Think about this: The Kingdom Hearts 1 prologue is far more boring and tedious than the KH2 prologue, yet no one complains about it much. I think it's because you transition into the main game with the character you started with.

/khblogs

You make a great point; if we played a Roxas for at least 1/3rd of the game, the transition from him to Sora would have been a bit more smoother. Besides, your level, items and stats all carry over to Sora anyway after his section, so maybe it could of been set up like this:
-
Prolog happens like it does but Roxas leaves instead of fusing with Sora
-Learns he can travel to worlds via Keyblade, but winds up in The World that Never Was
-You fight your way through that world (with his goal being the same as it was at the end of Days; destroying Organization XIII
-Roxas losses his first fight with one of its members but Mickey or Riku jump in to help out.
-They defeat that member and explain why he has to go back to Sora
-He understands and agrees to do so; they go back to Twilight Town and he goes into Sora

That sounds like a bit of a normal transition; Roxas has a reason to go back to Sora (he isn't strong enough to fight the Organization on his own; needs Sora's powers to stop them) and it gives the player enough to work with understanding why Organization XIII needs to be stopped (with Roxas explaining what happened in Days when in The World that Never Was). I think that would have been a good idea :).

botty

Banned
zzz

in order to get the last orichalcum+ from moogle I need to finish all the mushroom challenges if I'm reading things right?

also I just did the run on TWTNW 2 times and went from 47 to 54, with both experience boosts equipped. now if there are no more experience boosts I have to say that it's pretty fucking slow to get at lvl99.

You should definitely put some Lucky Lucky items on as well in order to grind for drops while you're at it.

You make a great point; if we played a Roxas for at least 1/3rd of the game, the transition from him to Sora would have been a bit more smoother. Besides, your level, items and stats all carry over to Sora anyway after his section, so maybe it could of been set up like this:
-
Prolog happens like it does but Roxas leaves instead of fusing with Sora
-Learns he can travel to worlds via Keyblade, but winds up in The World that Never Was
-You fight your way through that world (with his goal being the same as it was at the end of Days; destroying Organization XIII
-Roxas losses his first fight with one of its members but Mickey or Riku jump in to help out.
-They defeat that member and explain why he has to go back to Sora
-He understands and agrees to do so; they go back to Twilight Town and he goes into Sora

That sounds like a bit of a normal transition; Roxas has a reason to go back to Sora (he isn't strong enough to fight the Organization on his own; needs Sora's powers to stop them) and it gives the player enough to work with understanding why Organization XIII needs to be stopped (with Roxas explaining what happened in Days when in The World that Never Was). I think that would have been a good idea :).

This is a great idea actually. Some of the tutorial stuff could have been replaced by more plot heavy things.

Finalow

I do have 4-5 Lucky Lucky, I need them to grind items from the Mushrooms? How exactly do they drop them. and I pretty much have all of the other items, I just need to finish CoR last part. (which apparently I can't reach until I get air slide)

There are only 2 forced mini games in the Roxas prologue. One of which you can beat by mashing triangle. :/
well, you do have to play them, more than one time, to get 800 munnies. that's probably what he meant and it is pretty annoying. I did the faster one over and over again but still.

I think that first KH prologue sucked more than this one, and as you mentioned it can be interesting to "live" for a couple of days in the town and do stuff. if it was shorter and didn't force you to waste time at playing shitty mini-games (not talking about the struggle tournament, that was fun) I'd have enjoyed it a lot more.

Hahaha, I know. But to me, it's just like a giant mountain that I need to climb and it's all I see even though on the other side is an enjoyable, great and fun game. Those first 45-60 minutes seem like Mt. Everest to me. Although, I'm sure I can climb it this time. (I hope so, otherwise I just dropped $30 for nothing!)

This time though, I should just make a save right after the Roxas part so I never have to do it again.

Woo, the combat in KH2 really is a mess at times. That last Xemnas fight was basically this:

b7e.jpg

Saix was just as bad. Like honestly, what am I even looking at? Now, onto BBS.

RK128

This is a great idea actually. Some of the tutorial stuff could have been replaced by more plot heavy things.

Thank you :). After watching the Days movie on Youtube, I couldn't help but feel bad for Roxas :(; he is his own person and had a life (both as a member and as a normal kid), so for him to lose all of that to be part of someone who already lived a life was sad.

Heck, I honestly thought when I first played the game that he wasn't going to go back to Sora. I think the story would have been very interesting if KH2 explored Roxas's refusal to be part of Sora.

Like, he could of said something like this when he found Sora:
"Oh....so your Sora. And, I have to be part of you again. Why should I?! YOU live a life, explored tons of amazing worlds, and had two grand adventures. You even had life long friends and got them back in the end. What happened to me?! I was a pawn in helping the Organization, lost one of my closest friends due to her being a part of YOU and when things finally got normal in Twilight Town, that had to be taken from me too. ....You know what? You stay asleep Sora, I am my OWN person and I will stop the Organization without your powers."

And when Sora encounters the Organization in Hallow Bastion, Roxas could take over. He is part of Sora, so why not have him possess him at points in the game? He has a mind and being like Sora does, so within the world of KH, it should be possible for Roxas to take over Sora when emotions reach high. This could of also be explored with Sora's drive forms, with one literally being Roxas himself (with dual Keyblades in hand). Heck, I'm surprised that Ventus and Xion didn't manfest via Drive forms too (that would of been a very clear hint that Sora was very important if he could shape-shift into different people; interactions with other characters could really change when this happens too as both Riku and Mickey know these different beings).

I spent so many hours trying to defeat the Data Org battles, I'm terrible at it and Axel was the one that took me the damn longest, I have defeated 10 of them and all I have left is Xenmas, Zexion, and Xaldin.

Doing this shit in critical has been insane, I consider myself very good at games but this has been testing my limits. Tell me that pleasing the damn Mushrooms will not be this crazy. -___-

Berordn

Doing this shit in critical has been insane, I consider myself very good at games but this has been testing my limits. Tell me that pleasing the damn Mushrooms will not be this crazy. -___-

hah. ahaha.

They're generally all pretty easy since there's a strategy that'll knock them out in a matter of seconds, except for a couple like Mushroom VIII who feels like pure luck 80% of the time.

I spent so many hours trying to defeat the Data Org battles, I'm terrible at it and Axel was the one that took me the damn longest, I have defeated 10 of them and all I have left is Xenmas, Zexion, and Xaldin.

Mushroom VIII took me longer than all the data battles combined. Depends on your luck i guess.

Psxphile

DREAM RIKU

Not objectively the same power level as real Riku.

yes i know how the ending goes
falk pls

Splitting hairs. It's nothing like Data Sora who got reset when everything was said and done. It's like saying Mer-Sora or Cub-Sora isn't the real Sora. His abilities were limited or wildly inconsistent in those forms but he's still Sora when all is said and done.

I don't know why they called it Limit Form tbh (well it uses limits, yes). Considering you basically transform into KH1 Sora.
I don't know how it is called in japanese though.

In french they chose something that could be translated as Remembrance Form and I kinda like that better.

Yeah, that is nice. I like it. I guess 'Nostalgia Form' doesn't quite have the same ring to it, though. The Japanese version calls it
Limit Form
. Welp.

Falk

that puzzling face
falk pls

Splitting hairs. It's nothing like Data Sora who got reset when everything was said and done. It's like saying Mer-Sora or Cub-Sora isn't the real Sora. His abilities were limited or wildly inconsistent in those forms but he's still Sora when all is said and done.

On that note, pls no more specialized forms for worlds. Having your list of actions taken away is not fun.

You're not inspiring much confidence in me if the data org battles are giving you a hard time. I feel like I'm going to regret going for the plat on a critical run ;_;

Famassu

Finally got this and started!

Holy shit is the intro more terrible every time I play it. This should be a crime.
Eh? If anything, it gets better as you remember where to go and what to do and, thus, can get to the good parts faster (and there ARE good parts in the Roxas intro). It also gets better because, as much as people hate KHs stories, the story of Roxas' last days is actually quite decent in many ways (dialogue can still be kind of bad, but the events themselves that start taking place are pretty good, imo) and you know exactly where the story is headed for Roxas, so you can kind of appreciate the sadness of it all a bit better.

What's the recommended level~ for Critical mode optional bosses in BBS. Is there any trick for Exp grinding outside of the Exp walker+rubber band?

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't think there's any definite recommended level per-se as they gradually get less tedious the more levels you get, and a couple of hits bring you to 1 hp anyway. It's a gradual scale. If you can't beat them, go level up more.

As to tricks, Victory Pose with EXP Chance on those splitting jellyfish really add up.

The interaction seems to double dip - when you kill something, EXP Chance multiplies that by 2. Then when you use Victory Pose, you get 3x of that 2x, which EXP Chance then multiplies again by 2 for 12x of the actual mob XP.

That, along with the fact that the jellyfish unversed splits into a total of 8 tiny jellyfish, each of which give more than 1k XP per victory pose as mentioned above = $$$$

edit: That's actually the second fastest way and the fallback if you glitch your save files. Fastest way is to mega flare twice at that one spot in Radiant Garden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Z7LOcuFFM

edit2: In any situation you're using Victory Pose you want to disable EXP Walker so you don't accidentally get 3x 1xp (lol)

I'll never understand the hate for the KH II's prologe. When "Kingdom Hearts II" finally pops up in the screen after that cutscene showing Sora waking up you get the feeling that a great journey is just ahead as a great game. Thank you, Nomura. *manlytears

Top Bottom