• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

BlackRock

RPS Review

John Walker gonna John Walker.

(I have no opinions about the game so far myself, havent' played it, haven't had any expectations at all).

What a terribly unfair review. Right from the start he makes it clear he didn't like the old King's Quest games. I'll agree the game starts abruptly but after a minute or two it's pretty clear that this is a flashback sequence when the narration begins. Not sure how this managed to befuddle him so badly. He then complains about the keyboard controls, but I used them the whole way through with no issues. It's pretty much the same movement system as Grim Fandango, which we all know is a terrible game and hardly playable. Then he complains about instant deaths which have only been a staple of adventure games since Colossal Cave Adventure. Yes, the LucasArts games moved us away from that, but it's hardly out of place in a game paying homage to a classic series. The game restores your progress nearly immediately before you died, in any case. It's pretty clear at this point Walker just has an axe to grind.

I'll agree with him about the action sequences and QTEs. They could be removed in the future and I'd not miss them at all. They aren't terrible, though, and they are all easy. I can't imagine anyone getting stuck at them.

I also agree about not being able to skip dialog sequences. That's a real oversight. It ought to be patched in.

Everything else I don't agree with. The opening seemed to ruin the game for him and he even admits that the rest of the game was much better, but he couldn't give it a fair chance at that point. He clearly just didn't get it, but that's not necessarily the game's fault.

PooBone

I answered this a bit better in the spoiler thread, but no, not really. The story is self-contained, but the framing story has a tiny cliffhanger to lead into the next episode.

Whew, this whole review screams, "I don't get it, so it must be awful."

I saw that, thanks. I am probably gonna roll through this starting tonight. Nothing much else to play until Rare Replay hits.

I am pleasantly surprised that this turned out to be great. King's Quest is one of my earliest gaming memories.

King's Quest 3 on DOS was one of the first games I ever remember playing. Never got very far, and I remember it taking me forever to get down that mountain trail.

BlackRock

Sad thing is, look at the responses and people are actually listening to him and refraining from buying it. This game was a breath of fresh air to me, its been a long time since I have played something like this.

His replies to comments in the review section basically boil down to "I hate Sierra adventure games". Why he wasted his time with this game is beyond me. Guess he just wanted the chance to unfairly trash a game.

Hopefully he won't result in many people giving this a pass since most other reviewers disagree with him.

JP

A quick question for people with the PS4 version, I've seen t mentioned but not seen a definitive answer yet.

The game downloaded fine and I'm able to play but it shows me that the Epilogue is there to download also but I keep getting an error message when trying to download it. Am I correct in thinking that the Epilogue shouldn't be there to download yet and it will presumably be available sometime after the standard 5 chapters?

Also, it downloaded 4 themes (Cliff, Well, Across & Merchant themes) with the game but the Merchant Theme is still locked and unusable, is this something that others have been able to use? I'm not actually bothered about the themes and didn't know anything about them until they all started downloading with the game but it's just going to annoy me if I supposed to be able to access that theme.

Thanks.

spinz

Sad thing is, look at the responses and people are actually listening to him and refraining from buying it. This game was a breath of fresh air to me, its been a long time since I have played something like this.

people like negative reviews of games they dont play.
Also theres a group of people that just hate on the adventure genre and sees the characteristics of the genre as being flaws.

PooBone

people like negative reviews of games they dont play.
Also theres a group of people that just hate on the adventure genre and sees the characteristics of the genre as being flaws.

I remember when I had a little wiener and cheered for bad reviews of big wieners.

/asinine

Sciz

The game downloaded fine and I'm able to play but it shows me that the Epilogue is there to download also but I keep getting an error message when trying to download it. Am I correct in thinking that the Epilogue shouldn't be there to download yet and it will presumably be available sometime after the standard 5 chapters?

We don't even have a release date for the second chapter yet, much less the epilogue. Definitely an error.

JeTmAn81

This might've been discussed already, but is there any word on how the last-gen versions are? Specifically PS3?

FrsDvl

Anyone that could steer me in the right direction, as I am lost on what to do.

Is there any way to make more money after spending it all?

I bought pie
for the troll, and did the eye thing

Now I still need? to buy the
Candle and gardening tool

I need to move
the large rock for the bakers ingredients

I also need to catch
a frog
and I have no clue how.

I've been wandering around for the last hour, to no avail. What am I missing!

Well, this is a good start for the whole series, but I played Life is Strange ep 4 before this and LiS is the God of this genre. Unfortunately King's Quest felt quite boring and unispired after that.

I hope KQ ep 2 will blow my mind after LiS gets its conclusion.

spinz

Well, this is a good start for the whole series, but I played Life is Strange ep 4 before this and LiS is the God of this genre. Unfortunately King's Quest felt quite boring and unispired after that.

I hope KQ ep 2 will blow my mind after LiS gets its conclusion.

i am eagerly waiting to play life is strange once all of the episodes are out. Iv heard no shortage of very good things.

mackattk

Anyone that could steer me in the right direction, as I am lost on what to do.

I've been wandering around for the last hour, to no avail. What am I missing!

I will try to give hints out, if you need anything in more depth I can make a separate post.

you do find money as you walk around. you will find some in the same area as below.

I bought pie

you got the pie for the troll right? so you should be able to cross the bridge... there are things you can do there now.

you will find money as you travel to new areas

I need to move

once you get the candle this will open up

I also need to catch
a frog
and I have no clue how.

won't get this until later

FrsDvl

I will try to give hints out, if you need anything in more depth I can make a separate post.

you do find money as you walk around. you will find some in the same area as below.

I bought pie

you got the pie for the troll right? so you should be able to cross the bridge... there are things you can do there now.

you will find money as you travel to new areas

I need to move

once you get the candle this will open up

I also need to catch
a frog
and I have no clue how.

won't get this until later

Oh lol, I completely forgot that I opened up the path where the
Troll
was. Thanks!

BlackRock

Yes, you are stuck because
you need to find some more coins. You can't complete the other tasks you mentioned yet. Keep looking around. I don't remember any of the coins being too very hard to find.

Further spoiler:
Have you been to the floating island? I think there is a coin there, but can't remember for certain.

John Walker's review is excellent, really excellent:

1. "The game is a Telltale-alike"
2. "Deaths are cheap!"

and then you have to pick between two identical wooden wheels to open a door. By pressing A. Pick the “wrong” one and you instantly die.

There's a skeleton sitting right next to the wheel on the left. The wheel on the left kills you. Insert DSP "THERE'S NOTHING I COULD DO" soundbyte here.

Sciz

This might've been discussed already, but is there any word on how the last-gen versions are? Specifically PS3?

I haven't seen anything, but it's a regular old UE3 game that runs great on near min spec PC hardware. Can't imagine last gen console performance is too bad.

mackattk

John Walker's review is excellent, really excellent:

1. "The game is a Telltale-alike"
2. "Deaths are cheap!"

There's a skeleton sitting right next to the wheel on the left. The wheel on the left kills you. Insert DSP "THERE'S NOTHING I COULD DO" soundbyte here.

And the death takes 5 whole seconds before it reloads you to exactly where you were before. What a fucking chore, might as well stop playing right then, right?

And the death takes 5 whole seconds before it reloads you to exactly where you were before. What a fucking chore, might as well stop playing right then, right?

I know, right?

He might well have a point about K+M controls, too. All I know is that it's perfectly fine with a controller.

I can't disagree more with his assessment that it's a horrendous first hour. It's simplistic but charming.

There's more:

There was a reason why incorrect solutions to puzzles became met with jokes, rather than random and unfair death. In 1992. 23 years ago. That reason was because it’s hideously boring to play. What could possibly have possessed anyone involved in this peculiarity to think that this was the nostalgic kick everyone was after once more? King’s Quest has a surprise way of killing you every other minute.

"Man, I died in Dark Souls a bunch, game sux"

There was a reason why adventure games stopped trying to have action sequences. In 1995. Because they were utterly incongruous to the tone of the genre, put off people who were playing for narrative, and were invariably extremely poorly made. King’s Quest has you hammering at quick-time-event keys from the start, firing arrows at ropes on the fly, and kills you if you don’t react within the first second of its latest interrupting cutscene ending. And then makes you watch the cutscene again.

Adventure games can't have action sequences! Then they'd be too exciting!

I beat the river sequence in one go, because it's not very hard

What we have, for the first hour, and then permeating throughout, is the worst platform game ever made, trying to exist inside a deeply clumsy and inferior copy of Telltale’s already ungainly adventure engine. It’s embarrassingly obvious how desperately the game wants to both look and behave like Telltale’s recent successes, right down to the rotoscoped look of the art, and the tedious over-reliance on QTEs instead of wit.

This game looks better than TT games, though. It actually has an art direction beyond copying what came before. And the animation is far superior.

I think John Walker is accidentally playing a David Cage game or something.

JP

Such a strange atmosphere playing this game, can't quite put my finger on it but it's a feeling that I haven't had for such a long time playing games. Really happy to be playing it and although I'm generally not a fan of episodic content, I'm absolutely loving this so far.

Let's hope they make enough money to convince them that another project will be worth doing.

Sciz

Adventure games can't have action sequences! Then they'd be too exciting!

I get the sentiment behind being wary of action sequences in point and clicks, given the genre's legacy of hamfisted, barely playable moments like Fate of Atlantis's fistfights and Full Throttle's death races, but the action here all plays well and it's super forgiving.

King's Quest never shied away from precision movement and the occasional "think fast!" moment the way LucasArts games did, and I've been viewing this game's use of action as the less fiddly successor to those bits.

FrsDvl

I love the little jabs at TellTale

Did the squirrels remember that?

Did the merchant remember that?

The opening seemed to ruin the game for him and he even admits that the rest of the game was much better, but he couldn't give it a fair chance at that point. He clearly just didn't get it, but that's not necessarily the game's fault.

Well, that's vintage John Walker that :).

I haven't played the game, and I have no real affection for either that or the old games (I only playe bits of KQ1 and KQ5), so I have no interest in defending this game at all, but it kinda funny to see how this is Broken Age all over again for him. When he gets annoyed at something, the game cannot recover for him after that, and he not only slaughters the game in his review, but also goes on twitter and makes snide remarks about the reviewers who did like the game.

I'm still not sure if or when I will buy this game, but one things that's sure, is that I will not let John Walker have any influence over which adventure games I buy. :)

John Walker said:
People can like shitty games, clearly. But it makes me genuinely cross when reviewers ignore or dismiss horrendous design issues.

https://twitter.com/botherer/status/626745912505798656

"People can have wrong opinions if they like, but only if they acknowledge my opinions first".

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Well, that's vintage John Walker that :).

I haven't played the game, and I have no real affection for either that or the old games (I only playe bits of KQ1 and KQ5), so I have no interest in defending this game at all, but it kinda funny to see how this is Broken Age all over again for him. When he gets annoyed at something, the game cannot recover for him after that, and he not only slaughters the game in his review, but also goes on twitter and makes snide remarks about the reviewers who did like the game.

I'm still not sure if or when I will buy this game, but one things that's sure, is that I will not let John Walker have any influence over which adventure games I buy. :)

https://twitter.com/botherer/status/626745912505798656

"People can have wrong opinions if they like, but only if they acknowledge my opinions first".

Christ. Never heard of this man-child, and I wish it stayed that way.

Though I would agree Broken Age was a real bummer.

For the first time, I am stuck. Can someone give me a vague hint?

I am looking for
raisins
, and also trying to snatch
a golden horn
from the
female bridge troll while she is attempting to light a fire.

spinz

For the first time, I am stuck. Can someone give me a vague hint?

I am looking for
raisins
, and also trying to snatch
a golden horn
from the
female bridge troll while she is attempting to light a fire.

your two problems are veeeery much related.
Is that enough of a hint ? :)

DMczaf

I've been playing King's Quest games since I was 10-11. It was my introduction to the point and click adventure genre.

So this game is legit???

mackattk

another vague hint if you need it:
sometimes what youre looking for, was right in front of you :)
yeah don't think too hard about it..I actually solved it by accident, after spending a good 15 or 20 minutes running around.

Ok decided to get this, like it a lot so far. One thing i am unsure about though -

Is there multiple ways to go about this game or do I have to do everything? I've spent all my gold coins on a tip for the wheel i stole, the tournament ticket and the pie, but other people want gold to. Just curious

spinz

Ok decided to get this, like it a lot so far. One thing i am unsure about though -

Is there multiple ways to go about this game or do I have to do everything? I've spent all my gold coins on a tip for the wheel i stole, the tournament ticket and the pie, but other people want gold to. Just curious

the answer to your question is... yes :p
your choices on spending gold influences how you advance through the puzzles... and also you can find more gold.

the answer to your question is... yes :p
your choices on spending gold influences how you advance through the puzzles... and also you can find more gold.

Alright, thanks. Another question -

I forgot to close the door for the blacksmith and she didn't give me the patch what did the patch do

FrsDvl

Just finished it!

Loved every moment of it, probably should've waited till everything was released though, cause I just want to keep going.

I wish games like this were more popular, so we'd see more like this.

FrsDvl

How long is the first chapter?

It took me roughly 5 to 6 hours. Probably a lot shorter if you figure everything out right off the bat.

edit:

Yup 6 hours for me, thanks Xbox app

5r1mAAt.jpg

Grimsen

Played a little bit tonight. Wonderful little game. I'm glad I bought it.

EDIT: I'd totally buy a physical edition, compete with a vintage hint book (the highlighter ones).

RPS Review

John Walker gonna John Walker.

(I have no opinions about the game so far myself, havent' played it, haven't had any expectations at all).
All you have to do is read John's stupid tweets on the subject. Once I did I knew I could safely disregard his opinion since he obviously has nothing in common with my tastes.
I think all you need to know about the positive reviews of King's Quest is that ALL of them say the old series was great. Um, oh dear.
These reviews are the equivalent of a film review that begins, "Finally, a film to match the neglected classic Battlefield Earth."
People can like shitty games, clearly. But it makes me genuinely cross when reviewers ignore or dismiss horrendous design issues.
So far as I can tell, from this and the odd adulation Telltale's mostly decent recent games get, people just don't want to *play* games.
They want to watch them, occasionally reaching over to a controller to press X or Y to temporarily pick a slightly different story.

EDIT: Lol, alright, I was reading the comments on the review, and this gem is just lovely too:
Although this does seem similar to when the very mediocre Sam & Max games came out, and nearly every site reviewed their memory of the original game rather than the ones in front of them.
Uh huh John. jenniferlawrenceok.gif. He's certainly welcome to his opinion, but I'm self-aware enough to know that I never need to read another review of his if his tastes are so difference compared to mine. We obviously live on different sides of the gaming world.

Grimsen

I've rarely seen a reviewer so irrationally angry at a game's positive reception.

At least I know to avoid anything he has to say in the future.

Crom

Is there going to be a retail version down the road? Any word or rumors? I prefer physical copies.

Top Bottom