• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

Rimshot

Has anyone gotten this on PS4, and if so are you able to download the epilogue addon? I keep getting an error when doing so (CE-37700-7) and nothing seems to help :/

wouwie

Has anyone gotten this on PS4, and if so are you able to download the epilogue addon? I keep getting an error when doing so (CE-37700-7) and nothing seems to help :/

I think the (bonus) epilogue is meant to come at a later date (iirc) but i'm not 100% sure on that.

Heartfyre

I want to get this game but I hate waiting for episodes so I'll just wait till the entire thing releases. However, the thread brought back fond memories of when I used to play King's Quest 7 with my mom.

Good times.

I've a similar attachment. I think the King's Quest games were the first video games I played, since my parents played them first. My dad used to put an hour into each game during his lunchbreak in the early nineties. (Prince of Persia too.) I played them from there. Played VII with my mom as well. We were stuck in the graveyard for a long time, I vividly recall. I even loved Mask of Eternity. They're not at all interested in this new one, but they goddamn should be.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Wait....is there a retail version coming?

just making an guess. sorry to get your hopes up!

for some reason i feel like this will get a retail release when all eps. have come out. same with Life is Strange.

if nothing gets announced i'll buy the complete edition digitally down the road

Hot quick time events in the prologue/opening.

Is anyone else playing at 4K or other high resolutions? Subtitles look low res on my tv.

just making an guess. sorry to get your hopes up!

for some reason i feel like this will get a retail release when all eps. have come out. same with Life is Strange.

if nothing gets announced i'll buy the complete edition digitally down the road

I'll be shocked if they don't release a retail version after all eps are out.

Been playing it on ps4 and it's perfectly fine. Framerate seems pretty steady and load times are infrequent and quite brief (3-5 seconds). If you'd rather play it on console I'd say go for the ps4 version

Thanks for the feedback. I eventually bought the PS4 version today, and it's great. I've only played the intro, but so far, the tech is great. The framerate is great (60fps?), and I haven't seen any aliasing. It's as good a PC version, I didn't notice the loading times too. It's a big difference with the few Telltale games I played on PS3 !

The game is pretty good so far, it's really charming and I like the small touch of humor. I'm not a big fan of the art style but the animations are great.

Sciz

The protagonists of KQ were always the foil to the events happening around them. Graham and especially Alexander were not goofy, and considering anything and everything was out to kill you, so the more bizarre or fairy-tale like your environment, the more you had to be wary.

The comparison to Guybrush is pretty apt, he didn't use to be that way. They were silly games, but staying alive was serious business.

I, for one, remember Graham spending a lot of time falling down stairs, walking off bridges, and generally plummeting into every available hole in Daventry and beyond.

I think that's what they're going for with Graham's characterization, anyway, since there aren't as many ways to get yourself killed at a moment's notice to provide the slapstick.

Gonna laugh if he grows out of it as these episodes go on to mirror the change from direct control to point and click.

BlackRock

There's a 10GB update for the XB1 version. Anyone know what that's about?

Performance issues patch? People have been complaining about the XB1 version. The PS4 and PC versions don't seem to have those issues.

There's no patch on Steam for the PC version, for what it's worth.

RetroMG

Wait...the XB1 version has performance issues? Damnit. Any XB1 owners of this game care to chime in with impressions?

I mentioned it earlier in the thread. It's nothing game breaking, but there are some long load times after a death or when walking into a new area. It's annoying, especially if you started out on something like Steam that doesn't have the issue.. (That was my experience.)

Question regarding the secret knock puzzle:
Trying to ring the small bell and it won't work?

Edit: Nevermind, found the somewhat obvious but silly solution.

I wish they showed you Graham's dead body based on the type of damage (eaten alive, crushed, drowned, etc) because that was part of the humor in the old games. You would think they could get away with it since the graphics are not realistic-looking. I get it though. I'm the guy asking for a bit of gore in what looks like a classic Disney movie.

edit: And come to think of it, the whole concept would not fit within the context of Graham telling his grand-daughter a story. Still... if a guy gets eaten alive I want to see a modicum of blood. Maybe just a single drop on principle. I'll stop being silly now.

edit #2: This post just keeps on giving. Anyway, I was trying to find examples and I may have conflated my memories of King's Quest and Space Quest games. I thought both had gruesome images of your character's death but I could only find examples from SQ:

spacequest.jpg

So I'm way too young to have played a King's Quest game when it came out but I love the genre and am pretty sick of Telltale-style games which focus heavily on choices and characters.

This is more puzzle/humor focused right? Is it worth buying?

I mentioned it earlier in the thread. It's nothing game breaking, but there are some long load times after a death or when walking into a new area. It's annoying, especially if you started out on something like Steam that doesn't have the issue.. (That was my experience.)

10 GB loading issue patch?

Load times are about a second long on the PC, wonderful. And 4K, 60 FPS was pretty nice!

Don't think it looks as good as others do overall. There's certainly some stunning backgrounds but the general texture quality is abysmal and some of the building's don't have the same cartoon artstyle so they stick out like a sore thumb.

mackattk

Really liking the game and I think I am getting close to finishing the first part. I am playing the ps4, is anyone else getting frame rate hitches? It is a little annoying but generally not a huge deal.

Sciz

So I'm way too young to have played a King's Quest game when it came out but I love the genre and am pretty sick of Telltale-style games which focus heavily on choices and characters.

This is more puzzle/humor focused right? Is it worth buying?

It's much more like Telltale's earlier games than their current stuff or the old school point and clicks. It's a nice mix of light puzzles, conversations, conversation puzzles, and the occasional simple action sequence. There's a few Telltale style choices to be made, but they mostly manifest as alternate puzzle solutions, and the narrators poke fun at the whole "character will remember that" thing.

Wouldn't call it a straight up comedy, but it's certainly comical.

Load times are about a second long on the PC, wonderful. And 4K, 60 FPS was pretty nice!

Don't think it looks as good as others do overall. There's certainly some stunning backgrounds but the general texture quality is abysmal and some of the building's don't have the same cartoon artstyle so they stick out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, for all that they talked up the hand painted textures, I'm not really sold on them. What makes the look work is the combination of great animation and camera work. I spent a lot of time moving from place to place at walking speed instead of jogging, just to soak in the atmosphere. Felt just like casually wandering through the forests always did.

nikos

Just picked this up for the PS4. Downloading now, really looking forward to trying it. No clue how it plays or what to expect.

Apt101

Got it working. Had to download the latest version then restore licenses again.

The game has the same humor and charm as the originals, but plays and watches more like Dragon's Lair. So far, an hour in, it's more action game than adventure. I'm digging it but not what I was expecting. Solid game though. Wicked animation and voice acting.

Cleve

The closeups of a dismembered Roger Wilco was definitely a sq thing. Kings quest had some violentish scenes but nothing on the level of being pulled limb from limb, dissolved in acid, eaten by aliens, or bleeding to death for picking up trash like you could see in SQ. King's quest usually just showed a gravestone with a funny message.

Still I'm pretty excited this is getting so much praise. I can't wait to play it once I have more time.

Sciz

The game has the same humor and charm as the originals, but plays and watches more like Dragon's Lair. So far, an hour in, it's more action game than adventure. I'm digging it but not what I was expecting. Solid game though. Wicked animation and voice acting.

Keep going. There's a specific moment where it'll open up and start feeling like King's Quest.

schick85

Bought this based on all the positive impressions here. I was going to buy this when they had a price drop or something but realized Activision games don't get heavily discounted anyways.

FrsDvl

Anyone finished this yet? Was wondering how long it is! I really want to play it, but I'm considering waiting till everything has been released.

spinz

Anyone finished this yet? Was wondering how long it is! I really want to play it, but I'm considering waiting till everything has been released.

roughly 5 hours. It feels loooong, especially compared to other episodic games.
The first 1-2 hours feel kind of QTE driven and like a "modern game".
The next few are full of exploration and moments where its like "yeah, im playing KQ again".

Apt101

Keep going. There's a specific moment where it'll open up and start feeling like King's Quest.

I got there, and yes it is a proper King's Quest game, just with a new perspective. I forgot how fun it was tooling around the maps with their little imaginative set pieces.

robotrock

Banned
Is there any reason to buy the full game yet instead of just buying the episode?

On Steam, the first episode is $10, and the season pass for the other episodes is $30. Total of $40.

If I buy the full game now instead of buying the first episode for $10 and the season pass for $30, it's $40.

Am I missing something here?

Is there any reason to buy the full game yet instead of just buying the episode?

On Steam, the first episode is $10, and the season pass for the other episodes is $30. Total of $40.

If I buy the full game now instead of buying the first episode for $10 and the season pass for $30, it's $40.

You get the bonus Epilogue chapter for going with The Complete Collection. But that might get sold on its own at some point.

Rimshot

I think the season pass availability is just for those who wanted to try one or two episodes before getting the whole game, so that you won't have to pay more just because you got one game separate first.

robotrock

Banned
You get the bonus Epilogue chapter for going with The Complete Collection. But that might get sold on its own at some point.
I think the season pass availability is just for those who wanted to try one or two episodes before getting the whole game, so that you won't have to pay more just because you got one game separate first.

Thanks guys. Are we super sure that epilogue isn't contained in the season pass? I guess that'd make sense, but damn. I'll probably definitely have to wait a bit to plop 40 down then.

Had that $10 decision been easy, I'd be playing right now! Curses.

Thanks guys. Are we super sure that epilogue isn't contained in the season pass? I guess that'd make sense, but damn. I'll probably definitely have to wait a bit to plop 40 down then.

Had that $10 decision been easy, I'd be playing right now! Curses.

I've been searching around and can't find anything about it being included with the season pass. I'd count on it becoming DLC once it's available though.

BTails

Love all the positive reviews!! I've been a King's Quest fan since before I can remember, having grown up with Sierra adventure games. Very much looking forward to this, though I'll probably wait for a retail release before picking it up.

ced

This is really good.

I was put off by the first hour / intro, but it's great after that.

Voice acting is great, characters are charming and it's actually quite funny.

chrislowe

omg! the graphics looks amazing. and it looks like a great kings quest just like I just to play as a kid =)
Gonna get this.

BlackRock

I was put off by the first hour / intro, but it's great after that.

Voice acting is great, characters are charming and it's actually quite funny.

Yeah, the action, QTE heavy prologue isn't my favorite part either. I didn't hate it, but the adventure gaming parts are just so much better.

To see all the humor you must try actions multiple times. Graham's puns and jokes had me in stitches. Seriously, don't quit after 1-2 tries, or you're missing out.

Forgot this was coming out this week. So the consensus is it's a good start? I had concerns about it but it seems like things are looking good...

FrsDvl

roughly 5 hours. It feels loooong, especially compared to other episodic games.
The first 1-2 hours feel kind of QTE driven and like a "modern game".
The next few are full of exploration and moments where its like "yeah, im playing KQ again".

Sweet that's pretty good! Maybe I'll jump on it today.

PooBone

My wife ended up talking me into buying this. I played about the first ten minutes last night. It's gorgeous. Can anyone who's played through episode 1 tell me if it ends in a cliff hanger? I'm curious if these are more self-contained chapters than the average telltale adventure. I know it sounds like it's about 3-4 times longer than that so I may decide to play through then as they come out instead of waiting til the end like I usually do.

RPS Review

John Walker gonna John Walker.

(I have no opinions about the game so far myself, havent' played it, haven't had any expectations at all).

Ouch. I actually thought the beginning was charming. And I don't agree with the comments about the animation being "embarrassingly" like Telltale's, considering the game runs smoothly (I'm on PC) and looks the way it does because of the designers' vision and not because of the limits of the Telltale Tool.

PooBone

Ouch. I actually thought the beginning was charming. And I don't agree with the comments about the animation being "embarrassingly" like Telltale's, considering the game runs smoothly (I'm on PC) and looks the way it does because of the designers' vision and not because of the limits of the Telltale Tool.

The animation looks solid. Waaaaaaaay better than in Telltale's games. Makes me think this guy's either blind, dumb, or just didn't play the game. Then again, maybe he just really hates Activision and wanted to write a poor review for one of their products. Either way, he's not correct.

mackattk

RPS Review

(I have no opinions about the game so far myself, havent' played it, haven't had any expectations at all).

Good lord that is an awful review of this game. The only two things I agree about that review is that it does indeed start out suddenly, and there really needs to be a dialogue/action skip button after the first time. A mostly single button control for this type of game isn't a bad thing, and if the controls were more complex - he would have probably hated that too. I don't know why he harps on it so much, there is very limited platforming (not sure why he says it is a platforming game), and so many of the other things he hates has been a staple in the past King's Quest games; such as instant deaths and taking directions from some of the more classic stories of the past.

Anyway, I think I am getting close to the end of this episode,
I finished the two trials and went on my way to the last one at the castle, but got ambushed by squirrels
, and that is where I stopped last night. I look forward to beating it tonight and then do a trophy playthrough in the next few days. I think doing this game in episodes works well, it is short enough to be satisfying, but not too long to burn me out. Hopefully the future episodes will be of similar quality.

Sciz

To see all the humor you must try actions multiple times. Graham's puns and jokes had me in stitches. Seriously, don't quit after 1-2 tries, or you're missing out.

By extension, there's a reason why Graham makes a big deal out of not using the hatchet on everything when you get it.

RetroMG

My wife ended up talking me into buying this. I played about the first ten minutes last night. It's gorgeous. Can anyone who's played through episode 1 tell me if it ends in a cliff hanger? I'm curious if these are more self-contained chapters than the average telltale adventure. I know it sounds like it's about 3-4 times longer than that so I may decide to play through then as they come out instead of waiting til the end like I usually do.

I answered this a bit better in the spoiler thread, but no, not really. The story is self-contained, but the framing story has a tiny cliffhanger to lead into the next episode.

RPS Review

Whew, this whole review screams, "I don't get it, so it must be awful."

FrsDvl

Just finished the beginning part, really enjoying it so far. Now to wait for the download to finish so I can continue.

Playing on XB1 and the only issues I've encountered was a frame drop while running away, and had one instance of screen tearing, but nothing I couldn't live with.

I never played the original games (I know..."Boo This Man", lol) and I didn't really pay much attention to this new version but I finally took the time to look into it and I like what I see. I did look at a review video that was posted and saw a small part of the beginning of Chapter 1. I want to get this (PC version most likely) and hopefully I will soon.

Top Bottom