• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

ok , so even though I bought full package, at the very start
goign right down the well is normal? the old graham starts talking like hes been talking forever. seems weird as a start

An instant purchase for me, in 2016. I hope this isn`t frowned upon but I`m so over waiting for these games to complete development. I have the season pass ready and waiting for whenever Tales From Borderlands and Game Of Thrones are complete. And I`ll get the season pass for Life Is Strange whenever that is finished (whether or not there is a sale).

The game looks gorgeous and I`m sure I will really enjoy it, but I can`t just play Episode 1 and then wait a couple of weeks/months anymore.

am with you 100%. I cant stand episodic content in games. I just bought all the back to the future games on the steam sale because now i can play through them all in one piece.

Ill get this, but only once it is all out.

Stiler

Is there any kind of rewind feature? Made a mistake (Cause I like saying the failures and hearing what Christopher Lloyd says about it) and instead of having it fail or anything it continues and you have to make another choice instead of that one.

One of the things I like about Telltale games, you can rewind if you end up not making a choice you wanted to make so you don't have to replay the whole chapter.

spinz

ok , so even though I bought full package, at the very start
goign right down the well is normal? the old graham starts talking like hes been talking forever. seems weird as a start

yes, play a bit more and they'll explain. I think that "talking forever" sense is what they were going for, to give you the feel hes been telling a lot of stories.

Sciz

The game starts in media res, just roll with it.

Hope this hasn't been asked a million times already, but I'd love to play this in comfy couch mode. Is there a significant (graphical) advantage to playing on PC? It seems like it's got a really lovely, but not so demanding, art style.

Doubtful. There's basically no graphical settings, and my old, barely above min spec PC is running it with almost no load times and only the occasional frame hitch.

Unity2012

The game is beautiful and... endearing, and fun to play. I am on the second part of the chapter and loving every minute.

BlackRock

Well, the game is much better than I had expected it to be. There are some problems with it, but it's overall very good. It feels like revisiting an old friend watching Graham don his adventure cap again. I have to admit it put a big smile on my face. I've played a little over 4 hours so far and would guess I'm about 75% through the episode. The 5-6 hours of playtime seems about right.

The graphics are great and one of the best features of the game. Incredibly smooth and zero performance issues. I really like the backgrounds and overall setting design, in particular. The voice acting is also first rate. Overall, it makes a very polished presentation.

I've been playing with keyboard and mouse and had no issues. The game doesn't need a controller. In fact, a few of the action sequences may be easier with mouse control.

One thing that I haven't liked are that the game seems to have a certain amount of branch points and consequences. This isn't a bad idea in theory, but unfortunately the game forces you to live with the decisions that are made (no ability to rewind or reload) and there is virtually no way for the player to know ahead of time what the consequences will be. I'll have to replay the game to be certain this is how it works, but if so it's bad design and really smacks of "gotcha".

The game is quite easy. If you are a seasoned adventure gamer it won't give you any trouble at all. It's still quite fun, however, and I bet you'll enjoy revisiting Daventry and (not quite yet Sir) Graham.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
am with you 100%. I cant stand episodic content in games. I just bought all the back to the future games on the steam sale because now i can play through them all in one piece.

Ill get this, but only once it is all out.

Episode 2 isn't out so it's too early to say, but this feels like it really is episodic in the sense that the individual episodes don't interconnect too much, and it's the frame story that's the glue, but again, we'll have to wait to ep 2 to see where it picks up

NolbertoS

I haven't played a Kings Quest since Kings Quest IV. Glad all these PC's gaming classics are migrating to console. Now all I need is Ultima Underworld III and I'll be in heaven.

Going in I was wary of the episodic structure but the way it's handled is great. It seems like each episode will be self-contained enough to stand on its own, while still building up to something via the Gwendolyn stuff (which is a highlight).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Well, the game is much better than I had expected it to be. There are some problems with it, but it's overall very good. It feels like revisiting an old friend watching Graham don his adventure cap again. I have to admit it put a big smile on my face. I've played a little over 4 hours so far and would guess I'm about 75% through the episode. The 5-6 hours of playtime seems about right.

The graphics are great and one of the best features of the game. Incredibly smooth and zero performance issues. I really like the backgrounds and overall setting design, in particular. The voice acting is also first rate. Overall, it makes a very polished presentation.

I've been playing with keyboard and mouse and had no issues. The game doesn't need a controller. In fact, a few of the action sequences may be easier with mouse control.

One thing that I haven't liked are that the game seems to have a certain amount of branch points and consequences. This isn't a bad idea in theory, but unfortunately the game forces you to live with the decisions that are made (no ability to rewind or reload) and there is virtually no way for the player to know ahead of time what the consequences will be. I'll have to replay the game to be certain this is how it works, but if so it's bad design and really smacks of "gotcha".

The game is quite easy. If you are a seasoned adventure gamer it won't give you any trouble at all. It's still quite fun, however, and I bet you'll enjoy revisiting Daventry and (not quite yet Sir) Graham.

Came to post something very similar after spending a couple hours with it last night.

Really love how they have modernized the brand without entirely losing its puzzle-centric focus and exploration tilt. All of the loading issues that dragged down the Polygon review score are absolutely not present in the PS4 version, very snappy and smooth. It is simple and elegant, but much broader in scope than other episodic games.

Had similar thoughts regarding the handling of choices and consequences, limited information makes 'decision-making' feel a bit more arbitrary compared to similar games. I'm not bothered by the lack of 'rewind', but rather just the desire for a bit more information regarding them.

No 'Skip text' option is an embarrassing oversight, especially if they intend for players to replay the game or not feel punished when forced to endure repeated dialogue for experimenting with items and world objects.

Adore the game otherwise. Some direct references to the older games were smartly handled.

RetroMG

So I double-dipped on the Steam and Xbox One versions, and after playing a little bit with the Xbox One version, I can see some of the complaints that Polygon review had. The load times seem significantly worse than on the Steam version. (Longer load times when coming back from a death, and occasional long loads when moving around the world.)

I was going to switch to Xbox because Windows 10 doesn't want to play nice with my controller, but I think instead I'll stick with Steam and figure out how to make the controller work. Might go trade my DS4 in for an Xbox One controller, since those are supposed to work natively.

Pleasantly surprised with the positive buzz this has received, was not expecting this to be remotely good. Will have to pick it up if it hits GOG.

BlackRock

No 'Skip text' option is an embarrassing oversight, especially if they intend for players to replay the game or not feel punished when forced to endure repeated dialogue for experimenting with items and world objects.

I agree, it's an annoying oversight. I hope it can be patched in. None of the dialog sequences are too long, but it is indeed annoying to be stuck listening to the lines you've already heard when conversing or examine things. Especially since the game encourages you to repeat actions to hear the full dialog tree.

Adore the game otherwise. Some direct references to the older games were smartly handled.

There are some fun references in the game for the old fans. They aren't distracting, though, and there's nothing important that new players will miss out on. I do like that the developers are treating the legacy with respect instead of throwing it all out.

Quick question, as I haven't played yet and don't want to watch any playthroughs for spoilers.

In terms of gameplay, on a scale of Grim Fandango-style puzzles to Walking Dead-style visual novel, how much am I actually "playing" this game?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
There are some fun references in the game for the old fans. They aren't distracting, though, and there's nothing important that new players will miss out on. I do like that the developers are treating the legacy with respect instead of throwing it all out.

Yea, I squeeled a bit when noticing the tapestries hanging in Gwendolen's room during the initial part of the episode. Nice subtle callbacks. :)

RetroMG

Quick question, as I haven't played yet and don't want to watch any playthroughs for spoilers.

In terms of gameplay, on a scale of Grim Fandango-style puzzles to Walking Dead-style visual novel, how much am I actually "playing" this game?

It's on the Grim Fandango end of the scale. Actually, GF is a good example of how it controls, although KQ is much more fluid.

Slime

Banned
This looks so damn charming!

I want to support it but I'm also certain there's going to be a boxed compilation at some point.

Replaying I-III in the meantime.

Tizoc

This being my first King's Quest game (shut up I'll play the old ones in due time), I don't mind this being similar to Telltale's games at least from the onset. It's colorful and the voice acting's nice.

Someone remind me who Gwen's voice actor/actress is? I swear I've heard in a bunch of cartoons...

Shame about the console ver. though, you'd think the PS4 and X1 could run an UE3 game like this without much issues :/

Sciz

The puzzles remind me a lot of the level of complexity and difficulty of Telltale's earlier games, when they were still identifiable as classic point-and-clicks but most of the dedicated adventure gaming crowd decried them as being too simple.

There's also slightly more physical dexterity involved than you might expect, in keeping with KQ1-4's occasional taste for precision and timing.

Has any body tried the PS4 version? Is it good? How are the framerates, loading times, etc? I'm not sure whether I buy this game on PC or PS4, I'd rather play it on console, but I don't want to be stuck with shitty technical problems.

BlackRock

Definitely more GF than WD. It's not a visual novel. None of the puzzles are too hard, though. Nothing as involving as GF. It's a pretty light and breezy game, but fun.

It's on the Grim Fandango end of the scale. Actually, GF is a good example of how it controls, although KQ is much more fluid.

The puzzles remind me a lot of the level of complexity and difficulty of Telltale's earlier games, when they were still identifiable as classic point-and-clicks but most of the dedicated adventure gaming crowd decried them as being too simple.

There's also slightly more physical dexterity involved than you might expect, in keeping with KQ1-4's occasional taste for precision and timing.

Definitely more GF than WD. It's not a visual novel. None of the puzzles are too hard, though. Nothing as involving as GF. It's a pretty light and breezy game, but fun.

Awesome, thanks guys! Can't wait!

level1

Has any body tried the PS4 version? Is it good? How are the framerates, loading times, etc? I'm not sure whether I buy this game on PC or PS4, I'd rather play it on console, but I don't want to be stuck with shitty technical problems.

Been playing it on ps4 and it's perfectly fine. Framerate seems pretty steady and load times are infrequent and quite brief (3-5 seconds). If you'd rather play it on console I'd say go for the ps4 version

I'm about halfway through and I have to say this game is great. It has a ton of personality and I can see myself getting hooked. Voice acting is wonderful as well.

I want to get this game but I hate waiting for episodes so I'll just wait till the entire thing releases. However, the thread brought back fond memories of when I used to play King's Quest 7 with my mom.

kingsquest_vii_PCBOX2006.jpg

Good times.

Tomtis

Alright, you guys have convinced me. Bought it for my PS4. Totaly missed about this game, but you got me kinda hyped up. Hope it's good.

Sciz

Was the King's Quest series always humorous like The Princess Bride or were the old games more serious?

This one goes further out of its way to have distinct jokes and punchlines than the prior games, but they've always been home to a certain wry sense of humor, and the fairy tale patchwork they're built out of practically demands a whimsical tone. It's as happy to mock your death or be incredulous at whatever you typed into the text parser as it is to have the Batmobile cameo for no apparent reason.

BlackRock

Was the King's Quest series always humorous like The Princess Bride or were the old games more serious?

They definitely made Graham more Guybrush Threepwood than he used to be, but it's not something that I minded while playing. There was always a silly streak in King's Quest, although not as goofy as Leisure Suit Larry or Space Quest. King's Quest played it a bit more straight. King's Quest was always heavily pulling from fairy tales and mythology and that more than the humor is what formed the foundation of the series.

RetroMG

There's no way to
save Achaka,
is there?

I know he's clearly the corpse that Graham gets the bow from at the beginning, but in theory, that could have happened any time after he and Graham went down there. I know it's silly, but my wife was crushed when he died, and she wanted to know if another option would let him live longer. (We did the option to shoot the Dragon, BTW.)

BlackRock

There's no way to
save Achaka,
is there?

I know he's clearly the corpse that Graham gets the bow from at the beginning, but in theory, that could have happened any time after he and Graham went down there. I know it's silly, but my wife was crushed when he died, and she wanted to know if another option would let him live longer. (We did the option to shoot the Dragon, BTW.)

I took the option to not shoot the dragon. I thought for sure I'd chosen "wrongly", but I guess not. I played the heart path, for what it's worth. I'm still not sure how much your decisions matter in the game and whether they will carry over into the other episodes. Do you know?

Thought this was going to be a throwaway game or a mediocre Telltale knockoff, but from the sound of things, it's a worthy sequel. Definitely grabbing this when I have the chance.

georly

DIdn't get a chance to play yesterday but I'm so happy everyone has positive reviews of this game. No idea how happy it makes me to not only see KQ again but also that it's GOOD!? ;_; I'm so happy.

I hope activision keeps this franchise alive, both making new entries and remaking the old in this new style/reboot. If not remakes then at least let us revisit some of the classic areas and scenery ;_; Catch us up on what some characters have been doing this whole time.

Arkeband

Banned
They definitely made Graham more Guybrush Threepwood than he used to be, but it's not something that I minded while playing. There was always a silly streak in King's Quest, although not as goofy as Leisure Suit Larry or Space Quest. King's Quest played it a bit more straight. King's Quest was always heavily pulling from fairy tales and mythology and that more than the humor is what formed the foundation of the series.

The protagonists of KQ were always the foil to the events happening around them. Graham and especially Alexander were not goofy, and considering anything and everything was out to kill you, so the more bizarre or fairy-tale like your environment, the more you had to be wary.

The comparison to Guybrush is pretty apt, he didn't use to be that way. They were silly games, but staying alive was serious business.

RetroMG

I took the option to not shoot the dragon. I thought for sure I'd chosen "wrongly", but I guess not. I played the heart path, for what it's worth. I'm still not sure how much your decisions matter in the game and whether they will carry over into the other episodes. Do you know?

I'm told that the choices you make open or close other paths, but I haven't seen exactly how. We're on the
mind path,
but my wife is insistent that we're going to go back when we finish and try some of the different options.

I did replay the beginning this morning, and
remembered to close the town gate after I got a new wheel for the wagon.
As a result,
there were no wolves fighting in the town square, and Amaya didn't give me the speech about the wolves and making sure the gate was closed. No patch for me, I guess.

I kind of feel like this game needs a spoiler thread so we can really discuss the decisions. I don't want to be the one who makes it, though.

Thought this was going to be a throwaway game or a mediocre Telltale knockoff, but from the sound of things, it's a worthy sequel. Definitely grabbing this when I have the chance.

I used to really like Telltale, and I was really sad when they lost the license, but after playing this game, I could not be happier.

The protagonists of KQ were always the foil to the events happening around them. Graham and especially Alexander were not goofy, and considering anything and everything was out to kill you, so the more bizarre or fairy-tale like your environment, the more you had to be wary.

The comparison to Guybrush is pretty apt, he didn't use to be that way. They were silly games, but staying alive was serious business.

I wonder how much of it is that we're playing young Graham, though. Maybe he'll be more serious as the series goes on.

I do love that Old Graham loves his puns. That feels so right to me.

BlackRock

I did replay the beginning this morning, and
remembered to close the town gate after I got a new wheel for the wagon.
As a result,
there were no wolves fighting in the town square, and Amaya didn't give me the speech about the wolves and making sure the gate was closed. No patch for me, I guess.

I had done that from the beginning.
I never actually received a patch from the blacksmith in game, however. She said I was well on my way to earning one, but nothing came of it. I also didn't get the achievement, but I think that's because I spoiled the picnic not knowing any better beforehand.

I kind of feel like this game needs a spoiler thread so we can really discuss the decisions. I don't want to be the one who makes it, though.

Agreed. The fact that you can't rewind or reload means that you have no way of easily seeing what would have happened if you had chosen differently. I already want to take another run through just to see what changes.

I wonder how much of it is that we're playing young Graham, though. Maybe he'll be more serious as the series goes on.

I wonder the same. I felt it worked at this point, given Graham's youth, but probably won't fit as well as he ages. From the Episode selection menu it shows Graham progressively older, so I assume that the episodes will be later and later stories from his life.

I'm also interested in seeing where the framing story with Gwendolyn goes. Might be a setup to continue the series?

Top Bottom