• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kobe Bryant slinging homophobic slur during nationally televised NBA game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

Londa said:
I don't follow sports or know what one game nets a person like him. All I know is, to me that is a ton. Ok, cool he is going to appeal. Why not write him a angry email?

He makes around $300k a game.

numble

Dead Man said:
The guy earns 2 million a month. $100,000 is not the same for him as it is for regular people. If you earn $4000/m it would be like being fined $200.
It's the largest fine the NBA has ever handed out to a player. If Allen Iverson (who made just as much money as Kobe) got fined $5000 for it, and Kenyon Martin and Tim Hardaway got fined $0 in 2009 and 2007, $100k is a lot.

Londa

Banned
Mercury Fred said:
And to some people in the world, a dollar and a couple hot meals is a ton. Just go and read the thread, some Kobe fans were loling at the small amount in comparison to what he pulls in.

It's tacky and makes him seem like a complete douche for appealing the fine.

But to be fair, I guess he must need the extra dough for rohypnol, gags and restraints for his next victim.

ok, nice to know. But you know that I don't follow sports, so how was I to know this?

Dali

ZephyrFate said:
Yeah, because clearly Kobe said something totally different from 'fucking faggot'
Well, Kenyon Martin didn't leave anything to the imagination and was directly threatening an owner. As pointed out, I don't think he got any sort of fine levied against him.

SolKane

Dead Man said:
I would like to know what way he MEANT the comment.

It doesn't really matter how he meant it, that's what my post is arguing. Besides, it's obviously meant to be taken as an insult.

Dali said:
Well, Kenyon Martin didn't leave anything to the imagination and was directly threatening an owner. As pointed out, I don't think he got any sort of fine levied against him.
Well I don't know why that didn't happen. You'd have to ask the NBA about it.

Londa

Banned
Devolution said:
Nah just amused you called some of my well thought out posts trolls, when you purposefully exaggerate up and down this thread.

Because you were not reading anything I had said and you put words in my mouth that I never said.

Gaborn

numble said:
It's the largest fine the NBA has ever handed out to a player. If Allen Iverson (who made just as much money as Kobe) got fined $5000 for it, and Kenyon Martin and Tim Hardaway got fined $0 in 2009 and 2007, $100k is a lot.

Are you suggesting the NBA has the power to fine retired players? Hardaway's last season was 2003.

Dali

Red Blaster said:
How about Kevin Garnett? Hell, if the league went after what KG has said he'd be banned for life.
I couldn't help but lol at this one; Breaking to commercial so it's in slow-mo plus the crazy eyes.

edit:

It was only posted yesterday, my bad.

Kinitari said:
This may be a problem with me, I usually assume people are more likely to empathize than reject similarities. And the issue is, I was never comparing people - or comparing their struggles or their history, I know one or two people were, but I specifically avoided that just because I know how difficult such grounds can be to navigate. No, I just compared the words, and the effects those words carry. I know some of the posters I talked to were black, and I hoped they would have thought "You know what, even if Nigger was used out of a racial context, if it was still used as an insult, it would bother me. So I guess I can see how faggot would bother a gay person as well" - I was honestly surprised when, after how careful I was, I was still met with many upon many scoffs.

If people come away from this thinking to themselves "You know I didn't really think how much me using the word faggot might bother gay people, I guess I'll try to avoid it" then I'm happy. I couldn't care less about Kobe and his Lakes, I just wanted people to think on some things they probably weren't looking at too hard.
I couldn't care less about Kobe or whatever he does. I'm not a basketball fan at all and I'm not the biggest Kobe fan in the world, but I did not need to conversate with myself with, "Oh, what if a white guy called Kobe a nigger. Wouldn't that be similar?"

It came to me immediately that saying the word "faggot" was wrong on Kobe's part and that he should be reprimanded. Now if a proposed/hypothetical situation happened with a white basketball player speaking down angrily on a black player occurred, would you even need such a comparison for people to realize that the word "nigger" is a bad thing to do? More than likely no, because you can't use "nigger" in a different context other than referring to your friends in a slang manner when fooling around. I'd also bet if "faggot" couldn't be used in the context that people claim Kobe to be using, a comparison like this wouldn't be needed.

If that paragraph was unreadable, you'll have to excuse me. Allergy pills cause drowsiness.

Ultimately, context is the killer.

ZephyrFate said:
I do, it's starting off a bit slow at the minute. But I'd love it if you could explain why Koodo's point isn't totally true.
Nowhere in my post did I discredit Koodo's point or implied that his post was false, don't put words in my mouth. All I said was that although the two terms put down their respective groups of people -- that's where the similarities end. I more or less fortified his last paragraph.

Gaborn said:
Are you suggesting the NBA has the power to fine retired players? Hardaway's last season was 2003.
This subject has me quite conflicted, but yeah. Wife just asked how me how much Hardaway was fined not 5 minutes ago..what is the league to do to make these retired folks shut their dirty mouths?! Lol

Zeke

Red Blaster said:
How about Kevin Garnett? Hell, if the of the league went after what KG said he'd be banned for life.
again he's not Kobe. Kobe like it or not is the face of the NBA probably the most successful player next to Jordan. Of course the NBA is going to hit him hard. Is it fucked up he said what he did? Sure do I care to the extent a lot of people in here do? Hell no, I've heard a ton worse playing sports myself.

Dead Man

SolKane said:
It doesn't really matter how he meant it, that's what my post is arguing. Besides, it's obviously meant to be taken as an insult.
Oh, I agree with you, I was just amused at the wording, as if there was some way in which it was NOT offensive.

IIRC, The players association appeals ALL fines handed out to players (excluding technicals and flagrants) no matter the reason behind the fine. It's standard operating procedure. Even when Kobe said he was appealing the fine he said because "it's standard" to do so.

The appeal is about office politics, so to speak, not about the issue at all.

Dali said:
I couldn't help but lol at this one; Breaking to commercial so it's in slow-mo plus the crazy eyes.

edit:

It was only posted yesterday, my bad.

wu2laq.gif

SolKane

spindashing said:
It came to me immediately that saying the word "faggot" was wrong on Kobe's part and that he should be reprimanded. Now if a proposed/hypothetical situation happened with a white basketball player speaking down angrily on a black player occurred, would you even need such a comparison for people to realize that the word "nigger" is a bad thing to do? More than likely no, because you can't use "nigger" in a different context other than referring to your friends in a slang manner when fooling around. I'd also bet if "faggot" couldn't be used in the context that people claim Kobe to be using, a comparison like this wouldn't be needed.

You're missing the point that the supposed other "context" for the word faggot is divorced or separated from is prescribed use. It's instead an extension of its derogatory meaning, essentially sanctioning anti-gay speech by saying it's a different context. This other context that people are speaking of is intricately bound to society's overall negative view of homosexuality. I don't understand how people can miss so crucial a point.

Dali

Zeke said:
again he's not Kobe. Kobe like it or not is the face of the NBA probably the most successful player next to Jordan. Of course the NBA is going to hit him hard. Is it fucked up he said what he did? Sure do I care to the extent a lot of people in here do? Hell no, I've heard a ton worse playing sports myself.
Does he get some sort of "face of the NBA" bonus? No? Alright then they should have some uniformity or not fine them at all. Arbitrarily deciding who gets slapped with a fine and who doesn't isn't fair to anyone. I think that's the best thing Kobe has going for him when he appeals.

etiolate

Banned
SolKane said:
You're missing the point that the supposed other "context" for the word faggot is divorced or separated from is prescribed use. It's instead an extension of its derogatory meaning, essentially sanctioning anti-gay speech by saying it's a different context. This other context that people are speaking of is intricately bound to society's overall negative view of homosexuality. I don't understand how people can miss so crucial a point.

Because not everyone agrees in that assessment of the word.

SolKane said:
I understand.

I'm not on the train supporting the, "Kobe shouldn't be reprimanded because he used the word in a different context than what it 'really means'." I wholeheartedly agree that he should be punished because regardless of how Kobe or his supporters see the word, I'm just saying that such a "context" exists, and may or may not be changed in said people's minds.

Zeke

Dali said:
Does he get some sort of "face of the NBA" bonus? No? Alright then they should have some uniformity or not fine them at all. Arbitrarily deciding who gets slapped with a fine and who doesn't isn't fair to anyone. I think that's the best thing Kobe has going for him when he appeals.
no disagreement. Call Stern and tell him.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
spindashing said:
I couldn't care less about Kobe or whatever he does. I'm not a basketball fan at all and I'm not the biggest Kobe fan in the world, but I did not need to conversate with myself with, "Oh, what if a white guy called Kobe a nigger. Wouldn't that be similar?"

If that paragraph was unreadable, you'll have to excuse me. Allergy pills cause drowsiness.

Ultimately, context is the killer.

First lemme just say I appreciate the long thought out responses, it's a lot more than I am used to getting in this thread, now let me get into it.

When I was juxtaposing the word nigger with faggot, it was never a white person calling a black person a nigger. No that was too easy, that's a different thing entirely. I would use examples like playing WoW, where someone would call Prince Malchazeer a Nigger for placing the flaming totems in impossible to avoid places. I asked people, if I started calling people who were intellectually dishonest "niggers" and people who were terrible at picking up women "chinks" - knowing that these words still were associated with their respective minorities, would these words no longer offend black people, or Asians?

My point was always to show people, that the association is still there, and with the word faggot it is there stronger than in my examples because when you call someone a faggot, a lot of the times it's because you are deriding his effeminate attributes, implying he is less than a man - not necessarily a homosexual, but he exhibits traits 'found in homosexuality'.

SolKane

etiolate said:
Because not everyone agrees in that assessment of the word.

What don't you agree with:

Faggot is a slur and derogatory term.
Faggot in modern parlance denotes a male homosexual.
Faggot, when applied to a male homosexual, is an insult.
Faggot, when applied to anyone, is an insult.

These are the suppositions underlying my post. What do you feel is wrong, or needs to be added?

edit: Obviously, there is an underlying assumption that to be called a male homosexual is an insult. That is the main issue here.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This is the first place, ever, that I've seen someone (well, more than a few) try to argue in all seriousness that 'faggot' isn't a derogatory term referring to gay men and instead can be used as a term meaning 'asshole' or the like. The fuck?

I have my own feelings on the outrage over this thing and peoples sensitivity to it but if you're seriously arguing the above, you're full of shit.

etiolate

Banned
This:

It's instead an extension of its derogatory meaning, essentially sanctioning anti-gay speech by saying it's a different context. This other context that people are speaking of is intricately bound to society's overall negative view of homosexuality

involves some assumption.

It could be that the other use of the word has a context involving acting a certain way that is disliked and at this point has become divorced from the word's tie to homosexuality. If it has become a meaning of its own that has divorced itself from attack speech against homosexuals then it is not an extension of the previous meaning. Now, I say at this point because maybe at some point it was used both ways and then developed away from being an insult to moniker someone as being homosexual and homosexual being bad, but I cannot know that for sure because it would involve the impossible ability to have heard the word every time anyone used it and tracked its development. Yet, even then, if I could know that, the nature of language would still distance meanings over usage and time.

Dead Man

etiolate said:
This:

It could be that the other use of the word has a context involving acting a certain way that is disliked and at this point has become divorced from the word's tie to homosexuality. If it has become a meaning of its own that has divorced itself from attack speech against homosexuals then it is not an extension of the previous meaning. Now, I say at this point because maybe at some point it was used both ways and then developed away from being an insult to moniker someone as being homosexual and homosexual being bad, but I cannot know that for sure because it would involve the impossible ability to have heard the word every time anyone used it and tracked its development. Yet, even then, if I could know that, the nature of language would still distance meanings over usage and time.
The difficulty with saying it is divorced from it's meaning as a slur against gay people is, who gets to decide that. With the word 'nigger' black people, correctly, get to determine that based on their feelings, since the word referenced them originally. It doesn't seem that gay people get to decide when that point is reached for 'faggot'.

Kinitari said:
First lemme just say I appreciate the long thought out responses, it's a lot more than I am used to getting in this thread, now let me get into it.

When I was juxtaposing the word nigger with faggot, it was never a white person calling a black person a nigger. No that was too easy, that's a different thing entirely. I would use examples like playing WoW, where someone would call Prince Malchazeer a Nigger for placing the flaming totems in impossible to avoid places. I asked people, if I started calling people who were intellectually dishonest "niggers" and people who were terrible at picking up women "chinks" - knowing that these words still were associated with their respective minorities, would these words no longer offend black people, or Asians?

My point was always to show people, that the association is still there, and with the word faggot it is there stronger than in my examples because when you call someone a faggot, a lot of the times it's because you are deriding his effeminate attributes, implying he is less than a man - not necessarily a homosexual, but he exhibits traits 'found in homosexuality'.
I am still under the belief that the words are different. They may incite similar reactions in the people utilizing them and or receiving them, but that's it. I agree totally with those who say that the terms are similar, for they are slurs aimed in putting the speaker at a higher state than the receiver.

In your WoW example, those words should offend their respective minorities. Merely because the words are apparently being used in a different context by the speaker should not decrease the amount of negative potency in the words. I'm sure the NBA would have took the same action if any other person of any descent was in the same position Kobe was in.

But also when you call a black person (or quite possibly any other race, I'm speaking for myself here out of experience) a nigger out of sheer anger, the word implies that the receiver is sub-human and nor not on the speaker's level; it's almost as if the receiver is not capable of human thoughts/skills and only exists to cater to/entertain the person utilizing the term. It is as if the receiver is uneducated..

It's quite similar to "faggot", some may agree, some may disagree. For the people that cannot agree that Kobe was wrong saying such a word, even as a model for children/people, I cannot agree or fathom why. Regardless of connotation, it should never be used.

etiolate

Banned
The truth is everyone ends up deciding by continued use and variation of a word.

Hell, if a culture becomes more dominant than American western culture, and that culture has a radically different meaning for shit, then by influence and use, that new meaning can take hold. Unless, by being introduced to our idea of shit, their use of the word is altered and transformed. So, in the end, nobody owns shit, it just happens.

Ollie Pooch

etiolate said:
This:

This is complete garbage. The word has not 'evolved over time' to mean anything different at all. Would you say 'stop being a fuckin' faggot' to someone in front of a gay guy? Probably not. The word hasn't been divorced from its original meaning, not even close! Do you seriously believe this? Monocle summed this up perfectly earlier in the thread. It's a slur because it's likening someone to the supposedly undesirable trait of being an (effeminate) gay man.

Gaborn

julls said:
This is complete garbage. The word has not 'evolved over time' to mean anything different at all. Would you say 'stop being a fuckin' faggot' to someone in front of a gay guy? Probably not. The word hasn't been divorced from its original meaning, not even close! Do you seriously believe this? Monocle summed this up perfectly earlier in the thread. It's a slur because it's likening someone to the supposedly undesirable trait of being an (effeminate) gay man.

It's like I said. There is a REASON that you'd never call a girl a faggot.

Ollie Pooch

Gaborn said:
It's like I said. There is a REASON that you'd never call a girl a faggot.
Yeah. Madness. Like I said, you ask 100 people what a 'faggot' means and they'll all say the same thing.

SolKane

etiolate said:
This:

Words don't evolve in a bubble. There are larger social and cultural contexts that determine meanings of words. The onus is on someone who would deny the connection between faggot as an insult to a homosexual and faggot as a more general slur to prove they are separate, IMO. There's a clear logical connection between the two. As an example, the word "wigger." Well, it's a portmanteau of "white" and "nigger." It didn't evolve into its use as derogatory term without some connection to its origins, namely, that being a nigger is a bad thing, and that being a white nigger is also a bad thing. One hundred years from now, hypothetically, sure, we could say that "faggot" eventually becomes a generalized insult that personifies some negative quality about a person. The same could be said of a word like "geek" which historically meant a crazy person, or fool. But that ignores the present context completely. The present context is that prevailing, normative attitudes construct homosexuality as something that is wrong or aberrant, and its effect on language is to sanction use of homosexual slurs in a general derogatory sense. The ideology is that homosexuality is wrong, and that people are condemned not for practicing it, but are condemned as implicit practioners through the use of faggot as an insult. We have to keep in mind faggot is always directed at someone - it's always meant as an insult. It's not entered into the modern lexicon as a general exclamation or interjection. To my knowledge people aren't saying "Oh, faggot, I forgot my keys in the house!" They are saying instead "I don't like you - You are a faggot."

etiolate

Banned
If people aren't using it to mean acting effeminate then is the connection still there in your mind?

I find it strange that the slur is what people are talking about. It is the least interesting or offending part of this. Stern is using gay rights issues for his own interests and that sort of patronizing doesn't do the cause any good.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
spindashing said:
I am still under the belief that the words are different. They may incite similar reactions in the people utilizing them and or receiving them, but that's it. I agree totally with those who say that the terms are similar, for they are slurs aimed in putting the speaker at a higher state than the receiver.

In your WoW example, those words should offend their respective minorities. Merely because the words are apparently being used in a different context by the speaker should not decrease the amount of negative potency in the words. I'm sure the NBA would have took the same action if any other person of any descent was in the same position Kobe was in.

But also when you call a black person (or quite possibly any other race, I'm speaking for myself here out of experience) a nigger out of sheer anger, the word implies that the receiver is sub-human and nor not on the speaker's level; it's almost as if the receiver is not capable of human thoughts/skills and only exists to cater to/entertain the person utilizing the term. It is as if the receiver is uneducated..

It's quite similar to "faggot", some may agree, some may disagree. For the people that cannot agree that Kobe was wrong saying such a word, even as a model for children/people, I cannot agree or fathom why. Regardless of connotation, it should never be used.

I pretty much agree with everything you say here.

etiolate said:
If people aren't using it to mean acting effeminate then is the connection still there in your mind?

I find it strange that the slur is what people are talking about. It is the least interesting or offending part of this. Stern is using gay rights issues for his own interests and that sort of patronizing doesn't do the cause any good.

People are still using it as an insult. Take any other insult directed at a minority, and use it to insult someone - lets say someone who scratches your paint when parking next to your car, and the word is still hurtful to the minority. I am not sure you are a minority, or if you have any slurs that can be attributed to you, but imagine if people instead of saying "Dude, did you see that fucking asshole?" they said "Dude, did you see that fucking wetback?" - wouldn't that word still offend you, even in the context it was used?

I don't know who Stern is.

Ollie Pooch

etiolate said:

I know what you're trying to say, but of course he didn't say it because the ref was 'acting effeminate'. "Faggot" is a slur used against another man (and never a woman as Gaborn pointed out) because it's attempting to insult/belittle someone's masculinity for the reasons I said earlier. It's a slur because of its origins!

Also like I said, I really don't care what Kobe Bryant says, or the repercussions to him - I am more confused by how anyone is attempting to argue what you're claiming. It's ridiculous.

etiolate

Banned
You can use faggot against a woman. It seems the word is turning into an insult that means that person is killing the vibe. That, whatever they are doing, is screwing up how things were going. It can still be used as you say, but I think there is a meaning here that's developed beyond the masculinity and homosexuality angle.

MIMIC

Banned
julls said:
I know what you're trying to say, but of course he didn't say it because the ref was 'acting effeminate'. "Faggot" is a slur used against another man (and never a woman as Gaborn pointed out) because it's attempting to insult/belittle someone's masculinity for the reasons I said earlier. It's a slur because of its origins!

And that's what Kobe was doing?

JLG-

Black Mamba said:
IIRC, The players association appeals ALL fines handed out to players (excluding technicals and flagrants) no matter the reason behind the fine. It's standard operating procedure. Even when Kobe said he was appealing the fine he said because "it's standard" to do so.

The appeal is about office politics, so to speak, not about the issue at all.
Yes, this is true. It's standard protocol.

Kobe was on Mason & Ireland
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/radio/show?showId=masonireland

9 minute interview in the Audio Highlights section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom