• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Ranker [JP] |OT| - Breath of Fire VI Hopes and Dreams

duckroll

2vcf2gw.jpg

Platform: PSP
Genre: RPG
Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Image Epoch / Capcom
Release Date: 15th July 2010
Price: 5990yen (Regular), 6300yen (E-Capcom LE)
Official Site: http://www.capcom.co.jp/LR/index.html

pic_package.jpg

Staff and Cast

Producer - Minae Matsukawa (Breath of Fire V, Ace Attorney 4)
Director - Kazuya Niinou (Etrian Odyssey, 7th Dragon)
Character Design - Tatsuya Yoshikawa (Breath of Fire series, Devil May Cry 4)
Scenario - Kazushige Nojima (Final Fantasy series, Kingdom Hearts series)
Composer - Yoko Shimomura (Parasite Eve, Kingdom Hearts series)
Main Planner - Hiroyuki Kanemaru (Tales of Symphonia, Arc Rise Fantasia)
Lead Programmer - Takashi Kawamoto (Arc Rise Fantasia)

Zig - Hiroshi Kamiya
Faz - Yuuichi Nakamura
Ren - Marine Inoue
Makis - Wataru Hatano
Tylong - Hiroki Yasumoto
Harth - Tomokazu Seki
Yuli - Mitsuki Saiga
Rosa - Aya Endo
Zebrila - Banjo Ginga
Norma - Kotono Mitsuishi
Sengoku - Rikiya Koyama
Igorida - Megumi Toyoguichi
Galgano - Jun Fukuyama
Missy - Kaori Nazuka

Theme Song - "Ultimate" by UVERworld

What's this game

This is a PSP JRPG from Image Epoch (7th Dragon, Arc Rise Fantasia) and Capcom (Breath of Fire series). It is about a young man named Zig who decides to leave his village to join the outside world. The world beyond his birth place is controlled by an empire where strength is valued above all else, and everyone is a fighter who is ranked by their performance. To challenge himself, and to discover his true worth in the world, Zig decides to train and fight his way to the top.

Yes, this is a shounen manga style JRPG, with awesome character designs and great art direction. It's really strange coming from Niinou, who previously directed EO and 7D, but he said he wanted to make a RPG that would be fitting for Capcom's legacy - hence the focus on combat with a wide variety of different characters and weapons. Nojima was roped in because he felt he was the right man to write the script for such a concept.

Gameplay

WORLD

pic_ss2b.jpg
pic_ss2a.jpg

Every NPC in the game has a rank, this appears over their heads as you move close to them on the field. When you talk to any NPC, you have a choice of challenging them to combat.

pic_ss4a.jpg
pic_ss4b.jpg

Any NPC in the game can be challenged to one on one combat, and they all have their unique designs, names and titles, and combat voices. Defeating someone higher in rank will increase Zig's rank to the defeated opponent's rank.

pic_ss3c.jpg
pic_ss3d.jpg

There is also a Trial Board where quest jobs are listed. Zig can carry out these quests instead to improve his rank, without engaging in Ranking Battles. While this takes much longer in improve his standing in society, it also allows him to better prepare for eventual Ranking Battles by leveling up and getting better equipment while questing against monsters and so on.

pic_ss5a.jpg
pic_ss5b.jpg

When Zig passes certain milestones in rank, his standing in society goes up and this unlocks clearance for him to access additional areas around the world, giving him access to more events, quests and Rankers to challenge.

BATTLE COMMANDS

You map Commands onto the face buttons. During battles you hold R and press a face button to activate the skill.

pic_ss13a.jpg

When you win Ranking battles, you can get Skill Chips from defeated Rankers as rewards.

pic_ss14a.jpg

You can set an Active and Sub Style for your character, each with its own equipment and command load based on the style's weapon choices. You Toggle between the two styles in realtime with the L button in battle.

pic_ss19a.jpg

SKILL CHIPS

The different types of Skill Chips:

txt_skill1.gif

Command Skill - These are skills which are related to normal commands. For example "Counter" and "Just Guard", which give you the ability to aim your regular attack or guard to gain extra advantages in battle.

txt_skill2.gif

R Skill - These are special attack skills which you map onto the face buttons, and trigger in battle by holding R and then pressing the respective face button. These are limited to a number of uses in each battle.

txt_skill3.gif

Ultimate Attack Skills - These are like limit breaks. Extremely powerful special attacks with cinematic execution. The Ultimate Attack can be triggered by holding R and pressing L. When an Ultimate Attack is used, the use count for all R Skills are reduced to zero.

txt_skill4.gif

Combination Skills - These skills are connected to other Skill Chips and alter the properties of the connected skills, sometimes creating special properties.

txt_skill5.gif

Auto Skills - These are skills which automatically trigger in battles when the condition is met. For example a skill which recovers your health automatically when your HP drops below a certain level.

txt_skill6.gif

Parameter Skills - These are Skill Chips which increase your stats. Depending on the chip, it will boost stats like HP, Attack, Defense, etc.

CUSTOMIZATION

pic_ss24a.jpg
pic_ss24b.jpg

Beat rankers to get Skill Chips, equip skills on the Skill Nest.

pic_ss25a.jpg
pic_ss25b.jpg

As you level up, you Skill Nest grows in capacity, allowing you to equip more skills.

pic_ss27a.jpg
pic_ss27b.jpg

Visible accessories and weapons!

pic_ss28a.jpg
pic_ss28b.jpg

Collect Ranker profiles as you play the game and encounter more characters!

ULTIMATE ATTACKS

pic_ss20a.jpg
pic_ss20b.jpg

These moves are special cinematic moves that major characters in the game have. When they are activated, the battle turns into a cutscene presentation ala Limit Breaks.

pic_ss21a.jpg
pic_ss21b.jpg

If such an attack is used against you, there will be a QTE during the cinematic sequence where the player has a chance to evade or counter the rest of the move, canceling the rest of the attack.

pic_ss22a.jpg
pic_ss22b.jpg

When you defeat Rankers who have such special moves, Zig will learn the moves himself allowing the player to set the Ultimate Attack skill on his Skill Nest.

pic_ss23a.jpg
pic_ss23b.jpg

The Ultimate Attack which is equipped can be executed in battle by holding L and pressing R. While the moves are deadly on their own, using one will automatically drain all your command skills to zero.

Videos

Trailers:
Jump Festa 2010 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPyL9eDZ9Xc
7 Knights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCb-4QXklBw
UVERworld - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-TxcrakOc
Battle Medley - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBR9jwI4b-Q

Gameplay:
World - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbW7ci0Nk1I
Battle Basics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WYP1EYFrv4
Advanced Combat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw3kxr0bhEE
Ultimate Attacks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL5wJTolZUg
Customization - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lns2bSTVMYI

Last Ranker TV:
Field and Encounters - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZS5O__noo
Ranking Battles - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAd-jJ4ql4

Limited Edition

pic_cd_jacket.jpg
pic_cd_label.gif

pic_note_main.jpg

All pre-orders of the game will come with a special soundtrack CD with selected tracks presented in a special Piano Trio Arrangement. In addition to this, Capcom's E-Capcom site is offering a special Extended Edition of the game which includes the CD, as well as a 48-page full color hardcover B5-size artbook.

duckroll

I'm too lazy to go dig up all the awesome official artwork for the game, but I know they were in a bunch of online articles and stuff. Someone feel free to spam them all on this thread so more people can see the AWESOME art the game has. :)

Stumpokapow said:
What's the lowest (worst) possible rank? 100,000?

The empire is supposed to have 100,000 Rankers, so I suppose 100k is the lowest.

Great OP :) Currently on the fence as to whether to import this or wait for news of a US/EU release (lol). At the minute, I'm definitely tempted to order this from Playasia :)

Skilletor

Amazing OP.

I want to play this sooooooooooo bad. :( I hope it's not long until the NA release.

Gameplay sounds really fun and being able to challenge every NPC to a battle makes me :D.

Thread needs moar art!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Had 0 interest in this game, but your damn thread title... now I'm forced to check it out because you say has BoF influence? Poo.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I hope it goes great in term of sales, from all the videos to the staff & cast involved, seems like its aiming really high and for good reasons.

madara

Darn you duckroll! It was hard enough to resist a psp with Falcom stuff coming over, now this. I watched two videos and am I still not sure. Can you travel in a over world going town to town? Or do you just choose and warp to locations with a map?

duckroll

madara said:
Darn you duckroll! It was hard enough to resist a psp with Falcom stuff coming over, now this. I watched two videos and am I still not sure. Can you travel in a over world going town to town? Or do you just choose and warp to locations with a map?

I'm pretty sure you can just travel the world and places are connected like any normal RPG. I'm not sure how many "towns" there really are in the game though. It seems like there is one big capital city, and then there are smaller settlements outside the capital. The warping shown in one of the videos is just a form of fast travel using the menu map.

Duckroll using the BOF VI tagline is both hilarious & appropriate. Nonetheless a few more weeks until release. Getting rather excited here.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hook + line = me clicking this thread. Nice informative OP, this looks and sounds great.

Spiegel

I look foward to reading your impressions duckroll but I'm getting worried because if Capcom was planning to release the game outside of Japan anytime soon they would've shown it at E3.

Also, with the cancellation of Resident Evil Portable, it seems like Capcom is done with the psp outside of Japan/Monster Hunter.
bernardobri said:
I hope it goes great in term of sales, from all the videos to the staff & cast involved, seems like its aiming really high and for good reasons.

Preorder numbers aren't looking good :/

KTallguy

Banned
Having played about as much Peace Walker as I can stomach (great game tho), I will try to nab this asap :)

Great thread!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd totally buy this if it came to the states. Very curious to see if I'm gonna like the combat system.

I'm a sucker for sexy yet functional UI in games (like in the Dept. Heaven games, for example), and this game is no exception. Is it weird that I want this because I like the menus?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I would like this game inside my PSP. Hope the localization is fast/happens at all.

mollipen

digita1alchemy said:
I'm a sucker for sexy yet functional UI in games (like in the Dept. Heaven games, for example), and this game is no exception. Is it weird that I want this because I like the menus?

Don't feel bad, because I'm feeling the exact same thing. I'm more interested in the overal UI design than I am the actual game right now. *heh*

digita1alchemy said:

not weird,

but i'm getting lots of persona 4 vibes from these.

Takao

Banned
Spiegel said:
Also, with the cancellation of Resident Evil Portable, it seems like Capcom is done with the psp outside of Japan/Monster Hunter.

We know that's actually dead for sure?

But yes, TLR not showing up at E3 is very suspect. If Capcom doesn't localize it, I'm sure one of the smaller publishers will try to.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Takao said:
We know that's actually dead for sure?

But yes, TLR not showing up at E3 is very suspect. If Capcom doesn't localize it, I'm sure one of the smaller publishers will try to.
No it's not dead, they still have the trademark for it and it could take longer to localize than Ghost Trick and Okamiden so they haven't announced it yet.

Spiegel

jj984jj said:
No it's not dead, they still have the trademark for it and it could take longer to localize than Ghost Trick and Okamiden so they haven't announced it yet.

He was asking about RE Portable and everything points to yes, unless Capcom decides to port Resident Evil 3DS. They are not going to develop two different portable Resident Evil games at the same time.

And about Last Ranker, you are probably right but Okamiden is a 2011 game(outside of Japan) and it was at E3 :/

BlueWord

I really want this, but it looks like it might be little beyond my 日本語 ability. I'll import if I have to, but I hope it makes it overseas...

Aeana

Buying this game so hard. It looks so awesome, and yes, the UI looks fantastic. Downside is the awful dialog font. :/

Can't waittt.

Grimmy

Banned
I hope Capcom hasn't given up on the PSP in North America... They've released, like, 1 PSP game since last year?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Spiegel said:
He was asking about RE Portable and everything points to yes, unless Capcom decides to port Resident Evil 3DS. They are not going to develop two different portable Resident Evil games at the same time.

And about Last Ranker, you are probably right but Okamiden is a 2011 game(outside of Japan) and it was at E3 :/
Oh. I'm sorry, I didn't notice only part of your post was quoted.

I think they showed Okamiden because they are going to get it out in English sooner and already have a build to show, not because they have decided not to bring over Last Ranker. Or maybe that's what I'm hoping for...

Azure J

Came in because I heard about this game and Breath of Fire art. Now have a frothing need for it. The concept is awesome sounding, the art is gorgeous and the mechanics sound great. A triple victory in my book. :D

duckroll

I went with free shipping from Play-Asia, so I'll probably get the game a week after it's released. Maybe I'll do a Dragon Quarter replay to pass the time when the game ships. :)

Top Bottom