• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Ranker [JP] |OT| - Breath of Fire VI Hopes and Dreams

Bebpo

Banned
I think it was a good experiment, sure. I mean it's a game that's fun to play, looks pretty and sound great. Even the story is satisfying and feels like a couple volume manga or a 13ep anime series.

It's definitely better than the only two other Image Epoch games I've played: World Destruction & ARF. So IE is definitely improving.

LR makes me want to check out 7th Dragon just to see what Niinou can really do with a bigger scope game (which will hopefully be his next 3d game).

I'd love IE to grow and become a Nautilus type rpg developer who can make a game at least on par with Shadow Hearts 1 in terms of creative good battle system, good story/characters, and somewhat balanced gameplay that delivers a lot of satisfying content. They seem like they could get there soon if their talent keeps improving and their budgets keep rising.

GhaleonQ said:
Thanks for the impressions, all. It sounds like it didn't overcome its self-evident limitations. Do you think that this turned out to be a worthwhile experiment, or was the concept underbaked and this turned out to be "for fans of the genre" (i.e., this generation's norm)?

Given the way they made this game they could market it at people not familiar with RPGs but that's just my 0.01x2 on that. Overall I think the game delivered on what it set to do, it wasn't exactly going to set the charts on fire.

duckroll

Made it to rank 47! Maybe I'll be able to beat this during the weekend. It's been tough finding time to progress much with Starcraft 2 in the way... ^^;

duckroll

I beat the game. I did every single quest/subplot in the game and fought every single ranker (except the bonus post-game stuff in the arena, haven't done those yet). Took me about 29 hours to beat the game. I really enjoyed it. I think the world and story was pretty cute and well executed, and I really liked the characters and writing. The music was a on a whole did a decent job, but the battle themes were pretty outstanding. Gameplay was fun throughout the game, and overall a really fun ride. I tried to fight various battles in different ways, even though there were more straight forward ways to win most fights, and it felt pretty rewarding when I succeed with unorthodox methods. It's a really solid small scale RPG with lots of interesting ideas. Not all of them hit the mark, but the battles and characters definitely do.

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

It seems natural to love Last Ranker . It marks the return of a large publisher to this king kind of game with modesty and by using the backdoor. Without getting dirty hands, it's probably what Capcom has done the best in the genre since Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. Between the epic story and an original and perfectly oiled system, the publisher has chosen to completely drop the former. Graphics on top and incredible musics embellish a fascinating prototype RPG like a 'concept car' with the freshness of a PS1 RPG during the end of last century. A risky bet that will appeal especially those like owerpowered characters.

+ an original RPG where you only play one character
+ catchy battle system
+ nice graphics
+ very fast trips
+ awesome musics

- a very small world
- no real freedom
- no real scenario

7/10 (editor's pick)

Bebpo

Banned
I think "no scenario" is kind of factually wrong.

The game has a story, it's just very low-key and small in scale. It's the story of rising up the ranks while getting hints about the real story in the world and then dealing with that story in the last 1/3rd.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Purchased and downloaded this on my Vita tonight. After putting a little bit of time in I'm definitely enjoying it. Especially not bad for 1600 yen.

duckroll

Purchased and downloaded this on my Vita tonight. After putting a little bit of time in I'm definitely enjoying it. Especially not bad for 1600 yen.

Cool, it only took 2 years for you to get to it! Lol. Hope you enjoy the rest of the game. It's a pretty cool JRPG take on shounen fighting storylines imo. The attacks later on are pretty cool too. :D

Top Bottom