• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
barnone said:
I am about to hit 20, and I have been saving up my IP for runes! Can anyone recommend runes to buy first? I enjoy tanks and support champions the most.

you shouldn't worry about buying tier 3 runes, they're not much better then the tier 1 at least compared to the price.

VaLiancY

barnone said:
I am about to hit 20, and I have been saving up my IP for runes! Can anyone recommend runes to buy first? I enjoy tanks and support champions the most.
Flat cdr blues. Flat mana regen yellows. Armor pen or magic pen reds. Health or swiftness quints.

Duress

So every case, so far, I've hit the punish button. Do I get IP for judging these cases or is this just a test run that doesn't count?

idlewild_

Duress said:
So every case, so far, I've hit the punish button. Do I get IP for judging these cases or is this just a test run that doesn't count?

The first IP is being sent out tomorrow, so if you correctly voted on a case that was closed by Riot, you'll be getting IP.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
On buying runes, Tier 1 are a good choice. They are a 10th of the cost, and provide about 60-65% of what Tier 3 do. You can always work your way up to the tier 3 when your comfortable

Guess what I'm trying to say, don't even bother with the Tier 3 till you are well pass 30, with a few dozen champions and a few favorites.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Why? As soon as you can start grabbing the Armor and Magic pen ones for a start, they make a big difference and you're going to need them eventually. Not sure why you would recommend someone to not getting proper runes right away.

Hey, ProCarbine! Surprised to see you trying out LoL! You'll find the GAF community very helpful and fun to play with. Ask questions, we'll be glad to answer. I'll see if I can justify playing a game or two tonight.

Also, I agree with Shintoki. Buying level 1 runes is a great, cheap way to try out a rune page build without the massive commitment going for level 3 entails.

For comparison, level 1 runes cost around 30 IP while level 3 costs around 410. Level 1 Quints cost 80 while Level 3 costs around 1050.

Go for level 1s, see what works for you, then go build a full level 3 page.

EXGN

Yeah, I would definitely hold off on purchasing level 3 runes until you know which characters you like to play. Hell, I've got nearly some 400 wins under my belt and I still have a pretty broad list of rotating champions.

The only thing that'd make the Tribunal more delectable would be knowing what their eventual fate is.

I just got two immature assholes who, upon giving first blood or not getting their lane, would proceed to feed. The third would feed every game, for no reason.

I would like to violent to these people, ruining other people's good time just to get kicks because of their sadistic tendencies.

There are certain runes though that are never bad though, so just buying the cheaper ones doesn't make any sense. Magic/Armor pen marks, Health quints and cooldown reduction glyphs are useful on every champ in the game, and youre just wasting ip if your buying something else before those universally good runes.

If you wanna try some weird build, definitely buy cheaper ones. Otherwise, invest in runes that help as many champs as possible, especially when starting out.

EXGN

Have you guys been following the Season One Championship drama? Apparently Riot has switched the seeding of teams, which has a number of people up in arms.

The first round of the finals was supposed to be CLG VS WHALE and Team Solo Mid VS Epik Gaming. However, Reginald is on Team Solo Mid and his brother is on Epik Gaming, which Riot fears may cause a conflict of interest. So they decided to switch the seeding and now CLG has to face Epik Gaming first, which is (from what I've heard) a much better team than WHALE.

Seems kinda ridiculous - I don't think any professional sporting organization would do this without anything more for a suspicion, and even then they would punish it if it happened, not based on speculation.

caromelo

Yeah I've been following it. I can see why CLG and HotshotGG in particular are upset, but watching his non-stop whining on his stream was getting annoying.

Riot dropped the ball on this one however. They basically punished CLG and rewarded TSM for suspicions of foul play with no real proof. Who would in their right mind, throw a game for a chance to go to Dreamhack to win $100k?

In any case, this weekend is going to be pretty exciting if you're a competitive League follower.

caromelo

Lol yeah. Seriously, I was watching his stream in the morning at 10ish during the NBA game. He was whining then. 12 hours later I check his stream again and he was still whining (even worse than before). At some point you have to accept the decision and just settle on doing your best in the tournament.

For those who want to know more read this:

http://clgaming.net/redtracker/topic/5158/?p=1

caromelo

Archie said:
Guardsman Bob is an infinitely better streamer, and he has awesome taste in music.

I don't prefer listening to Rock music in streams but he does do some sound, yet interesting things in game. He's pretty chill and says some pretty intelligent things, much like TreeEskimo whom I enjoy watching. I like watching Bigfatjiji when he streams because he's pretty damn skillful.

I also particularly enjoy watching Team Solomid streams especially when the do scrims or other competitive matches. They're probably in my opinion the #1 team in NA currently and their coordination and their counter jungling is quite fun to watch. I'd watch CLG if they streamed their scrims and matches as well but as far as I know they don't.

EXGN

Ferny73 said:
This

Also I read the explanation by Riot and totally agree with their decision. It was the best decision to make in that situation.

It just seems really unprofessional to me. I mean, in major sports you frequently have brothers/sisters playing against each other in major finals and these organizations don't fix the seeding as a result. Venus VS Serena Williams @ Wimbledon, the Grobowski brothers in the NFL, etc.

It's like someone mentioned previously, even if Reginald's brother wanted to throw the match, he still has four other people on his team that would be PISSED at him who still want the $100,000. Moreover, it seems pretty ridiculous to changes the seeding based on suspicion alone.

Moreover, with the current seeding, Epik will now face Solo Mid later on in the tournament, which has even bigger ramifications if one team were to throw the match.

EXGN said:
It just seems really unprofessional to me. I mean, in major sports you frequently have brothers/sisters playing against each other in major finals and these organizations don't fix the seeding as a result. Venus VS Serena Williams @ Wimbledon, the Grobowski brothers in the NFL, etc.

It's like someone mentioned previously, even if Reginald's brother wanted to throw the match, he still has four other people on his team that would be PISSED at him who still want the $100,000. Moreover, it seems pretty ridiculous to changes the seeding based on suspicion alone.

Moreover, with the current seeding, Epik will now face Solo Mid later on in the tournament, which has even bigger ramifications if one team were to throw the match.

Did you read Riot's reasoning? It was pretty thorough and made sense to me. If you disagree, I'd like to know what other people think about this. Their long form answer addressed some of the points you made.

EXGN

FlightOfHeaven said:
Did you read Riot's reasoning? It was pretty thorough and made sense to me. If you disagree, I'd like to know what other people think about this. Their long form answer addressed some of the points you made.

I read it and understand their reasoning, I just think its unprofessional (as I mentioned) to changed the seeding. It's pretty much unheard of to change the seeding order in any professional sport and you have people competing with conflicting interests all the time (playing against an old team with friends on it, playing against siblings, etc.)

Hmm. The way I see it is that they are trying their damnedest to establish the credibility of this particular eSport. Are there any precedents like this in young eSports?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
FlightOfHeaven said:
Hmm. The way I see it is that they are trying their damnedest to establish the credibility of this particular eSport. Are there any precedents like this in young eSports?

I'm pretty sure this is done all the time in fighting games.

Inkblot went into this kind of thing in detail recently on wakeupSRK podcast. How seeding at Evo is done by zipcode to keep people from the same area from playing each other too early for similar reasons.

Sucks for CLG but it seems in cases like these it always sucks for someone.

I personally have no problem with this as long as the players themselves aren't the ones dictating how the brackets are run

It's pretty much unheard of to change the seeding order in any professional sport and you have people competing with conflicting interests all the time (playing against an old team with friends on it, playing against siblings, etc.)

I think it's different in e-sports since there's usually a cash prize directly associated with how high you place in the tournament

Entwain

Note to self, friday nights do not play, brings out the people who can't see past anything. Top feeds a fiddle as mord and mundo.. and proceeds to run away as i come up to gank a half health fiddle, who lo and behold has 9 kills at 11 minutes on said duo.

Gotta love who they blame the rest of the game on their loss by, the vayne who got screwed by feeders, but im the magical carry that should be able to make up for their failures ; ;

/vent off

*edit* not to mention a reporting from the duo who proceed to feed, glad i rarely rage at this.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Entwain said:
Note to self, friday nights do not play, brings out the people who can't see past anything. Top feeds a fiddle as mord and mundo.. and proceeds to run away as i come up to gank a half health fiddle, who lo and behold has 9 kills at 11 minutes on said duo.

I don't really blame them, even I do stupid shit like face checking bush as Sona when the whole team is mia, trying tanking sona, use ult to steal kills, etc. Friday night, tire and lazy =/

Ferny

Lol yesterday I had the worst/funniest co-op game ever. I was trying out Xin in a couple bot games since it was the first time ever using him so first game, I went 20-0-15 not a bad game at all. Went to try him one more time and was laned up with Annivia. She made this game a living hell for me. Every time I got into trouble, she would wall me in with the bots and try to get me killed. She literally followed me around the map doing this and it got me so frustrated. Ugh hate Friday nights in LoL.

caromelo

Ferny73 said:
Lol yesterday I had the worst/funniest co-op game ever. I was trying out Xin in a couple bot games since it was the first time ever using him so first game, I went 20-0-15 not a bad game at all. Went to try him one more time and was laned up with Annivia. She made this game a living hell for me. Every time I got into trouble, she would wall me in with the bots and try to get me killed. She literally followed me around the map doing this and it got me so frustrated. Ugh hate Friday nights in LoL.

It's a co-op game, I'd be laughing hard at those Anivia shenanigans! :p

Ferny

caromelo said:
It's a co-op game, I'd be laughing hard at those Anivia shenanigans! :p
Oh I was laughing as well but at the same time the game went on for an hour and a half...that doesn't make it fun by any stretch. It was pretty funny though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Well, I think I had my first rage case. I got dove a few minutes in by 3 at center tower. I hate being center for starters, And it just put me in a sour mood for the rest of the game. We did however absolutely crush them and got them surrender only a few minutes after 20. But fuck me that makes me pissy as all hell.

Ended up getting 3 Lux combos in on their team too ^_^

caromelo

Ferny73 said:
Oh I was laughing as well but at the same time the game went on for an hour and a half...that doesn't make it fun by any stretch. It was pretty funny though.

Wtf, an hour and a half coop game? How does that happen even with Anivia griefing?

caromelo

Also for anyone interested in League of Legends eSports, the Season One Championship qualifiers for both EU and NA are happening over this weekend. Top 3 teams from EU and NA are going to Dreamhack. Qualifiers from Singapore and Philippines have already been decided. Currently the EU qualifiers are being held and streamed.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/events/season_one_qualifiers

Right now, I believe SK Gaming and gamed.de are in the second round of the winners bracket. SK is leading 1-0 in a best out of 3 series.

Ferny

caromelo said:
Wtf, an hour and a half coop game? How does that happen even with Anivia griefing?
Its simple...when u have another buddy of his afk and a shaco who didnt know what the hell he was doing, the bots can be pretty strong that late into the game. Trust me I was bamboozled too -__-

Kozak

Banned
caromelo said:
Also for anyone interested in League of Legends eSports, the Season One Championship qualifiers for both EU and NA are happening over this weekend. Currently the EU qualifiers are being held and streamed.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/events/season_one_qualifiers

Right now, I believe SK Gaming and gamed.de are in the second round of the winners bracket. SK is leading 1-0 in a best out of 3 series.

Wow FnaticMSI are 3rd seed and are getting destroyed. No team focus at all.

caromelo

Kozak said:
This new game is amazing. So good.

Yeah gamed.de is really taking it to the number 1 seed in SK Gaming.

EDIT: It's still not over! gamed.de wins a teamfight but fails to take baron.

EDIT: Another teamfight won by gamed.de but somehow it's still not over. Its still at the point where SK can come back by winning a teamfight and winning it all.

EDIT: OMG PLEASE BACKDOOR TOP gamed.de...SPLIT PUSH FOR THE WIN GUISE.

Kozak

Banned
caromelo said:
Yeah gamed.de is really taking it to the number 1 seed in SK Gaming.

EDIT: It's still not over! gamed.de wins a teamfight but fails to take baron.

EDIT: Another teamfight won by gamed.de but somehow it's still not over. Its still at the point where SK can come back by winning a teamfight and winning it all.

EDIT: OMG PLEASE BACKDOOR TOP gamed.de...SPLIT PUSH FOR THE WIN GUISE.

Its all going to come down to Nunu for SK Gaming imo. If he manages to pop a devastating ult that takes at least 2 from the equation than it might just be GG for gamed.de.

Kozak

Banned
caromelo said:
Wow what a game. GG.

Great game. They almost choked after their great laning phase but managed to move on from that which was great to see.

Great play from Gragas even though he did put in a couple fail ults.

edit:

would love for gamed to win the tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom