• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXGN

Aiaiai, ranked is giving me such a headache lately. Just lost two games where the other team had troll players (DPS Annivia and DPS Zil) making it essentially 5v4, but my team was just so horrible that we couldn't win anyways. One game had a 2/17 Tryn, the other had a 5/22 Vlad. HOW DO YOU GO 5/22 WITH VLAD!?

EXGN said:
Aiaiai, ranked is giving me such a headache lately. Just lost two games where the other team had troll players (DPS Annivia and DPS Zil) making it essentially 5v4, but my team was just so horrible that we couldn't win anyways. One game had a 2/17 Tryn, the other had a 5/22 Vlad. HOW DO YOU GO 5/22 WITH VLAD!?

Using pool as an offensive ability :p

BluWacky

Melhisedek said:
How is community in this game? Will I get flamed for not knowing stuff or can I still have some fun?

It's quite flamey but not as flamey as Heroes of Newerth - LOL. being free and slightly less "hardcore" in tone, is much more accessible.

In theory at the start you'll be paired up with people who are the same level as you so you're less likely to get flamed. There's also a tutorial you can do to give you some idea of how to play until you learn what every character can do to you, what their strengths are etc.

Melhisedek said:
How is community in this game? Will I get flamed for not knowing stuff or can I still have some fun?
You get your fair share of really really bad stupid 6 year olds as you do in most games, and since this is a team game this is why it is worse than something like Halo. However if you find some sane people form a group and play the game as it was meant to be played. Everyone who is a twat, report them.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
LoL is just as bad as HoN when you get into ranked, but with LoL you need to hit level 30 before you can play ranked (which takes a fair bit of time) so it's not as harsh to start with. At low levels most people will be just as bad as you are, you'll get the occasional person who talks shit though.

If you don't know the genre then check something like this out before you jump in.

zlatko

Banned
Melhisedek said:

As someone who tried HoN before this for a few games, and has been playing LoL for around 4 days now, I can say LoL is much more approachable game in various ways. People on LoL tend to friend me after games, and the first few games I played with real people I asked for tips and got them. In HoN this was not the case, and I found no matter how hard I'd try to play careful to not over commit or get too close to enemies I'd still die and piss off team mates to say I'm feeding.

Another great part of LoL is you can build up some confidence in the game by playing co-op against A.I bots. The tutorial also felt well composed that I could get in without feeling overwhelmed. Gaf here is super helpful so far too on answering questions and linking to the best information when necessary.

Give it a shot, and if things turn shitty, then maybe you can find some people to play with here. :)

Yeah, HoN is not very friendly for new people because of one thing; how rapidly team battles start and resolve. Fights last 5 seconds or less, because abilities are so strong and mana costs are so high. People just melt in that game, which gives little room for error.

If you want to avoid the shitty community, play with other GAFfers. There are some up-and-comers in the thread, too. Once you hit 25+, friend whichever GAFfer you want. UChip, MrMisterious, and I regularly host games.

EXGN

FlightOfHeaven said:
I am the closest I have ever been to an even win/loss since I started this game

343/355

Hahaha, that means we aren't allowed to play together for 12 more games, given our past record :p

EXGN said:
Hahaha, that means we aren't allowed to play together for 12 more games, given our past record :p

We have to break that streak SOMETIME. My Cait's getting more and more solid, we'll pull out a victory sooner or later.
shintoki said:
You even boost with Gaf members and you're still not even. For shame.

Well, it's actually pretty inconsistent. I lost 3 with GAF a couple of nights ago, but won 5-6 solo queue.

That, and I had a huge deficit to make up. I was once at 40~ losses. :/ Forget ELO, I was climbing torturously out of my own w/l hell.

But yeah, playing with GAFfers generally helps, especially if it's 3-4 GAFfers. That's the sweet spot for boosting. 5 GAFfers almost requires voice chat to win, because it'll be a 5v5 premade.

Jangocube

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
I am the closest I have ever been to an even win/loss since I started this game

343/355

Where do you find your win loss record? I see my wins, then I see the ladder stuff, but I tried typing in my name to see my results in the little search bar thing and it didn't work.

Also, who's the best tank at the moment?

Grakl

Was at a 2:1 win ratio, and decided to try out new champions. Lost 7 in a row, hahaha.

Got Alistair yesterday, and played a couple games with him in solo. Getting better.

6itwM.png

vesp

Anyone feel free to add me, especially if you play pacific time late night.

summoner name : vesp (level 30 and stuck in the bowels of elo hell)

@Grakl

You have a really ideal score in your last match as Alistar. He is one of my favorite Tank/Support and can be a mean AP caster if built that way. Even if you don't build him tanky he can be a great initiator and a deceiving champ to kill, I save my ult when I have 40% health at times just so they target me hardcore with ults and summoners then just flash away and stay near the fight then jump in with some W and Q love when the cooldowns are up.
When you go AP tell your team so they know you are using your abilities to kill an ash in like 3 hits and not for protecting your team.

Any Gaffers below level 20 want to add my smurf Pupwoofbark (tell me you are going to add me so I can click accept xD) that way you guys don't have to duke it out with level 30's.

EXGN

Grakl said:
Was at a 2:1 win ratio, and decided to try out new champions. Lost 7 in a row, hahaha.

Got Alistair yesterday, and played a couple games with him in solo. Getting better.

6itwM.png

Alistar can be tough to get a hang of, but hes so fun. Flash > Pulverize > Headbutt into turret = free kills and major lolz.

Ultimoo said:
looks like me and uchip carrying you is starting to pay off!

<3

Totally serious, what's your summoner name? I always forget.

Also, yeah, you guys totally carry me early game, but then I return the favor by knocking down 7 buildings and getting quadra-kills. <3

Neki

FlightOfHeaven said:
Totally serious, what's your summoner name? I always forget.

Also, yeah, you guys totally carry me early game, but then I return the favor by knocking down 7 buildings and getting quadra-kills. <3

you're so mean, you always forget me. :( carrying as lux is a thankless job!

*cries in the corner*

Kind of wish LoL had a penalty system where if you don't buy a ward every 5 mins you get ulted by Karthus and 10 teemo shrooms appears in your jungle. Hate being the only one who wards. Wards is an investment it pays itself for so much.

Jangocube

Banned
Ok, I have a question on how turrets work. When fighting an enemy near a turret and some of my ally units are next to me, the turret targets my ally units if I am just attacking the turret. I get that.

What I don't get is that if I have ally units with me near a turret, and I use a special ability near the turret to hit my enemy, does the turret always then focus on me? What queues the AI to switch from all PC units to me? Is it a distance thing? Or just me using a special ability near it?

In other words, what causes the turret to switch?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For allies, I think it will target the last one to hit an enemies champion (Or their pet, though I don't think that include Yoricks Minion Pets), and this is likely wrong, but I think when there is no minions and no on has agro, it will target the highest level champion.

Edit: Or instead of my likely wrong info, check the wiki: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Turret

Jangocube

Banned
Drkirby said:
For allies, I think it will target the last one to hit an enemies champion (Or their pet, though I don't think that include Yoricks Minion Pets), and this is likely wrong, but I think when there is no minions and no on has agro, it will target the highest level champion.

Edit: Or instead of my likely wrong info, check the wiki: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Turret

Doh, didn't even think about checking to see if their was a wiki. Thanks for the link!

EXGN

FlightOfHeaven said:
Excel, we're cursed, dude. Like, shit.

Dude, I've never felt so useless as in that last game. Every time I would try to initiate, they would absolutely melt me. My mistake for going ROA before Banshees, but I figured Noc + Xin woulda been a bigger threat then Brand + Zil.

We were totally outclassed that game.

12 games down.

I am so close I can taste it, but I gotta chill out for a bit. I've made up a huge deficit fast.

And I thought I was ballin' with 13k IP. Uchip's got 70k, wtf. I think I'll go for a full Jarvan build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom