• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

undu

What I don't understand is why aren't they building reliant servers using tools specific for that (erlang language, for example) instead of just splitting a server.

The migration seems complicated enough, and it needs to be done everytime a problem like this emerges. On the contrary the other solution, once it's done it you've already solved the problem. :/

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Completely stupid and one server will end up becoming more popular than the other and people will just join that one, also their map of the UK and Ireland is wrong :lol

There's a scan of the graphics update floating around, looks awful.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
So dumb. HoN and Dota 2 both allow Euros and Americans to mingle with each other (if they want to). Why does LoL have to be segregated?

EXGN said:
From my understanding, this means players from Europe 1 won't be able to play others from Europe 2, just as North Americans can't play Europeans. I know a lot of the European teams have players from all over Europe, which means not only will the top teams be able to play against each other consistently, but it may split teams up.

Although I support this for American servers. Please split, North and South America, I don't want to play with any Morde es No. 1 Brazilians.

If you would rather be on the platform other than the one to which you were assigned, there will be an option in game to transfer your account for free.

Problem solved, it seems.

Ikuu

Archie said:
So dumb. HoN and Dota 2 both allow Euros and Americans to mingle with each other (if they want to). Why does LoL have to be segregated?
I think LoL is, or was, run by someone different from the US.

Leezard

Drkirby said:
Why is this not an issue in North America?
http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=246170

-why does US never face problems
Ymir said:
I can answer this one quickly. we have an order of magnitude more players here in Europe, along with a few other factors like the several hour time zone break in the US to hold off a major peak.

We really do have a lot more people playing in Europe and that's why there is no queue on NA.

EU must have loads of players.

LALALALALA JUST GOT DONE GOIN TO BATHROOM NO PROB -- NOW WHO AM I UP AGA....

Oh... my.... uh-god...

they stealthed baron mid game and raped both of our inhibs, we almost lost the game

luckily, they over stayed and after many double aces on each other (thanks rambo you jack ass) we finally won.

Ferga

Ikuu said:
Completely stupid and one server will end up becoming more popular than the other and people will just join that one, also their map of the UK and Ireland is wrong :lol

There's a scan of the graphics update floating around, looks awful.

come on man. link us D:

red13th

Wait, are you referring to those old Rammus/Kayle/Morde/Gragas pics that look like grimdark shit or are there new pics of Project Shiny?

eosos

Banned
Wow this game is real fun. I was knocking it hard at first for being to casual or whatever after coming from DotA, but wow. I love it! I don't like that heroes are so expensive though. But, I've unlocked two by just playing. If I were to buy a hero what would you all recommend? I like range the most so far.

eosos said:
Wow this game is real fun. I was knocking it hard at first for being to casual or whatever after coming from DotA, but wow. I love it! I don't like that heroes are so expensive though. But, I've unlocked two by just playing. If I were to buy a hero what would you all recommend? I like range the most so far.

Ashe, Caitlyn, Tristana, Miss Fortune, Nidalee, Vayne.

Also, WELCOME TO GAF

Swig_

Wow the new GP is mean. I used to loathe getting grouped with any GP.. 2nd game ever as him and I got a quadrakill. O_O

cdyhybrid

Jumping into this during my SC2 offtime since I'm getting tired of Oblivion. I was pretty good at DotA, and played random mostly (only did pub games most of the time) but I usually did well with AGI heroes. I'll play anything though.

Which heroes should I try out starting out? I haven't played DotA in years and I know literally nothing about the heroes and items in LoL, but the skillset is like riding a bike :p I just need a little starting info before jumping in.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I really don't like the idea of splitting EU. In case of Polish player it'll probably with EU East server full of kids who don't know English and rest of the players migrating to EU West. I wonder when exactly will we get the free transfer option...

IceIpor

cdyhybrid said:
Jumping into this during my SC2 offtime since I'm getting tired of Oblivion. I was pretty good at DotA, and played random mostly (only did pub games most of the time) but I usually did well with AGI heroes. I'll play anything though.

Which heroes should I try out starting out? I haven't played DotA in years and I know literally nothing about the heroes and items in LoL, but the skillset is like riding a bike :p I just need a little starting info before jumping in.

I would say that each hero looks exactly like how they would play.

Are they fat or have heavy armour? Tank. Do they only wear clothy materials? Mage. etc.

If you want a ranged agi hero to play with. Try Ashe. She's the Drow Ranger of the game.

If you want a melee agi, try Master Yi. He's like... umm... Yunero/Blade Master. (it's been too long since I've played DOTA in WC3).

Warwick is like Bloodseeker.

Mind you the characters have somewhat different skillsets from the original, but generally they play the same.

The shop in the game is easier to navigate than DOTA or HoN, in my opinion. All the items/recipes are listed under one shop and under different categories.
i.e. if you like Health Regain items, look under defense > health regen. If you want life steal items, Attack > life steal. Wards/Pots are under consumables.

That's pretty much all you need to know to get started, minus inclusive summoner skills that let you affect the battlefield slightly.

Try it out, or find some GAFfers to team up with to help you ease into the game.

cdyhybrid

Just did the tutorial, played as Garen. I'll try one more before I have to hit the sack. Unlocked the Master Yi guy so I'll give him a shot.

Edit: OK what the fuck is with this Annie character. She's taking 75% of my life with one spell.

Edit 2: Oh god, DotA flashbacks. Teammates so enthralled by jungling and farming gold that they don't call MIAs or come to help when their entire team pushes a lane. Maybe I should reconsider playing this -.-

Valygar

I've made a suggestion on the LoL forums that they should allow EU players to choose in which platform they want to login. So the servers are split, but the players are not.

I'm from Spain so I don't really care that much of this solution, at least it's a solution, but there are lots of people from what will be the "East platform" that are pissed a lot, and I understand why. Plus, the western platform will be more crowded than the eastern one, so we will have more stability problems.

Juravsky

Splitting may not be the best solution, but al least they are trying to do something. I think Valygar's idea is better than a total split, accounts valid on both west and east servers and people able to join one or the other server each time they play, althoug I don't know if it's tecnically possible.

Uchip

Banned
cdyhybrid said:
Just did the tutorial, played as Garen. I'll try one more before I have to hit the sack. Unlocked the Master Yi guy so I'll give him a shot.

Edit: OK what the fuck is with this Annie character. She's taking 75% of my life with one spell.

Edit 2: Oh god, DotA flashbacks. Teammates so enthralled by jungling and farming gold that they don't call MIAs or come to help when their entire team pushes a lane. Maybe I should reconsider playing this -.-

dont judge from low level games
seriously

Valygar

And finally, a response for the "multiple realm selection" suggestion:

Trust me, if this would have been an option for us, we would have been all over it.

What most of these other games do is provide a login layer where any player can login, and then put them on a shard. This means that players cannot chat with each other across shards or start games with each other. This is not an option for us.

Please don't think we decided on the split hastily. A LOT of very smart people have been working on this for the last half year or so (ever since we saw irrefutable trends in our numbers that made it clear this split would be necessary). We've literally explored every other option there was.

I am not a network expert, but this does not seem reasonable. Does it really work that way?

Ikuu

Sounds to me like this is the easiest/cheapest solution, rather than the best. Oh well, Dota 2 will be along soon enough.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Does this sound like a good idea or a bad one?

A Heavy Attack Speed Taric. Taric has the 4th highest base attack in the game, has a skill that lowers armor, has a toggle ult that raises attack damage, is naturally tanky, is moderately fast (at 315), and who has a stun, which can help when chasing someone down.

What would be a good build for him though? Some items I have been playing around with in mind are The Stinger-> Nashor's Tooth, a Recurve Bow build into something (All 4 items it builds into have their own pros or cons), a Eleisa's Miracle to deal with Mana, a Force of Nature, and the good Ol' Phantom Dancer.

Or is this something totally obvious/a horrible idea?

Neki

base attack means nothing besides easier last hitting in the early game. he's going to get out damaged by any ranged / melee carry with a steroid skill and/or once they achieve Infinity Edge / Madreds.

Card Boy

Banned
I had the worst game ever. We get this Malzahar on 3v3's that feeds the crap out of the enemy team he goes 0-9-0. 20 minutes in he HASN'T SPOKEN A SINGLE WORD, no mias no ping nothing, for all i know he could of being a Bot. At this point i was pissed and was just hurling abuse at him since he was wasn't speaking a word and feeding like crazy. He then goes FUCK OYU UDYR (yes in caps and with You spelt oyu) then starts speaking in Spanish or Portuguese. We proceed to lose due to the enemy team being fed to the max, i only coped 2-2-2 . The Malzahars final score was 2-15-3.

This is why i dont play ranked and never will in a million years unless i know the people i'm playing with in real life.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
zqS8N.png

Does anyone else get this? Also my friends list hasn't correctly shown up for a day.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The EU servers are down at the moment:
We are encountering issues with and need to extend our maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
As for the US one:
We're conducting maintenance on the Chat service. Our revised expectation is to return to service at 7AM PDT. We apologize for any inconvenience.

undu

Valygar said:
And finally, a response for the "multiple realm selection" suggestion:

I am not a network expert, but this does not seem reasonable. Does it really work that way?
While the matchmaking can be done more locally, there can be many login servers and the chat has absolutely no reason to be splitted, since the workload can be shared. Think of an irc network with multiple servers to wich people connect to chat. Or messaging networks. They all work this way, so they are scalable networks and don't get shot down because there are many people using it at the same time.

It riddles me why they've thought this was not feasable to do.

KJTB

cdyhybrid said:

Most low level players have no experience with a DOTA type of game and therefore don't even know to call out MIA's and stuff. I'd just keep playing until you reach a skill threshold among the players where they do call out MIA's and stuff.

I laughed, heartily.

I was disconnected from a game once, some driver thing, and when I reconnected somehow live players had entered the game opposite me. It would be hard to contain this horror with language alone, its heinous violence, its juxtapositions; it was as though the Omaha Beach landing had crashed through a faerie picnic.

And then I guffawed.

Neki

Nidalee is too good for some reason, been doing well with her. Throwing spears has never been so fun. I think I'd lose if we ever got to the late game with her though. I remember facing a farmed Nidalee as Ashe and I beat her pretty bad.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Halycon said:
Penny Arcade LTTP, but still good:
i-Nd34phz-L.jpg
10 minutes into the game
"Hey guys, this is my first time playing"
...................................................................................
"Why the fuck are you 30"
"Just fucking leave"
"GTFO"
"Got play with bots"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom