• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pjodor

Neo Member
Jazzy Network said:
I feel Renekton is just bad. When you build DPS, he just doesn't do enough damage. When you go tanky, he just can't survive unless he has his ult up and even then he still dies fast.
I have been trying this build, with some modifications on the rune side because I don't have all the runes.
http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=300
And I don't feel like I die that fast or that I do no damage and I think I do preatty well, I'm lvl 27 (soon to be 28) atm so it might be diffrent in ranked games. I don't feel like he is godlike or anything just a fun champion that's not so bad :)

Boken

Banned
Drkirby said:
A Haunting Guise and some Magic Pen Runes makes mid game Taric a beast to take down glass canons and anyone else who doesn't build any MR. -28.5 MR leaves a lot of champs with 1.5 MR left, making them take 98.5% of all my Magic Damage, and while Taric caps off low, he can burst down very well mid game.

Or if they do build a touch of MR, just skip the guise and build a death cap quicker.
I think you should just play sion instead if stun + burst shield is your thing lol

Free this week: Heimerdinger, Blitzcrank and Pantheon. I can already tell that solo queue is going to be a scary time.

Renekton isn't terrible or anything, it's just that there are a bunch of other bulky melee that are better than him at everything.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't know, I think I like Taric's ability to heal. Looking at their stats, they actually have a close bust damage output, but Sion is definitely more suited for a tank roll with his shild while Taric is more suited for Support. Both Taric's and Sion's shield burst have the same base damage, Sion's Shield has better AP scaling and range(1 instead of .5 for AP, 550 instead of 450 for range), but it can't be instantly used, so it isn't as good for any sort of surprise hit, the enemy will often see it coming.

Sion's stun does more consistent damage, but Taric's lasts longer and has a longer range (And at max level and zero range, will actually do more damage then Sion's), they both have the same AP ratio of 1.0.

The big differentiation between the two is the final skill. Sion has his Enrage which gives him a AD buff while on and builds his max health, while Taric has a normal stun.

The passive for Sion is also built for tanking, with the 40% chance of absorbing extra damage, while Taric's is a bit underwhelming with having 7.5% mana vamp with auto attacks.

Taric's Ult is mainly good for getting a tower fast or for getting away from a tight spot (Due to healing your self while on), while Sion's is good for just raw DPS, while having the odd effect of healing allies around you when you do damage.

Lets look at the base stats...

HP: Taric will have more base HP till level 5, when Sion will pull ahead with 5 more HP. At 18, Sion will have 187 more HP before counting in the extra HP from Enrage.
Health Regen per 5: Sion just plan has more. It start out higher and increases at a faster rate. Taric ends up at 16.1, while Sion will be at a clean 25.

Mana: Taric starts and ends up with far more mana. At 18, he has 1263 without any items, Sion has 625 Mana though.
Mana Regen per 5: As expected, Taric has a much higher then that of Sion built in. Sion get 7.4 at 18, while Taric gets 11.3

Now, for Mana consumptions with spells. Taric's Shield Shatter costs only 90 mana at level 18, while Sion's costs 110. For the stuns, Sions's costs 100, while Taric's costs 95. So taric is able to toss off far more spells then Sion without having to build any items to increase the mana poll. Sion's shield at min has a 12 second effective cooldown for the attack (8 seconds to recharge after burst, 4 seconds after started to burst), while Taric's has a 16 second cool down. Sion's stun has and 8 second cooldown, where Taric's has a 10 second.

The biggest mana problem that can pop up with Taric that Sion doesn't have to worry about is casting heals. Heals are the most expensive spell at 18, at 140 mana. His ult can also start draining mana very quickly if left on to long, since it has a stacking 10 mana more per second on to keep it up.

Armor: Sion has 76 Base Armor at 18, while Taric has 74. BUT, the passive on Taric's Shield gives hims from 30 to 60 more armor, depending if he has the actual shield up or not, giving him from 104 to 134 armor base at 18.

Attack Speed: A bit to my surprise, Taric has the faster attack speed the entire game. At 18, Sion has .699, while Taric has .823

MR: Both have 30
Speed: Both move a 315

So, overall, they are both really close characters. Sion can output more damage and is defiantly the better tank, but his attacks are less versatile (For Sion, your shield needs to be ready before the stun making it harder to pull off, while with Taric you can stun, run up, burst, mallet once, and run away). Taric is the better support character though. So it comes down to if I need more tankyness or more supportability.

I can give Sion some more play time the next time he is free or when I decided to unlock him though. Though I think Taric is still better for mid game burst due to not having to prep the shield, and not having to buy a mana item like sion would, but Sion would pull ahead the longer the game goes on.

EXGN

Boken said:
Free this week: Heimerdinger, Blitzcrank and Pantheon. I can already tell that solo queue is going to be a scary time.

Fuck my life. Last Blitzcrank week I played him pretty much every game just so no one else on my team could pick him. I vividly remember the one time someone else got to him before me, the person who picked him went 2/14, missed easy grabs and once pulled an Amumu (with his stun ready) into our party.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh god, I am on a team of 4 tanks. Mundo, Bliz, Yorick, and Galio. AP Hemier go...

Edit: And a loss. Very little damage output from our team.

winnarps

Lately been alternating between Orianna, Twisted Fate, and Xin Zhao. Never had this much fun in solo queue.

TF and XZ are sick. And Orianna's ball is so damn versatile - poke, scout, protect, farm, etc. Love it.

goober

LMAO I tried playing this game on my laptop. Played coop vs AI oh man. So much performance lag even on lowest settings. I'm desperate to play this game again.

Neki

goober said:
LMAO I tried playing this game on my laptop. Played coop vs AI oh man. So much performance lag even on lowest settings. I'm desperate to play this game again.
My laptop is at least 6 years old and it plays it fine. Yours must be really old.

joelseph

goober said:

Something is not right with your laptop then. Any working hardware can play this game. Are you sure you have your gfx drivers installed properly? Even an onboard intel gpu can play this game.

I ran it on my iMac 06, and it ran fine. Well, it took 4 minutes to load and I'd have horrendous lag whenever the first team fight occurred, but after that it ran with zero problems.

goober

joelseph said:
Something is not right with your laptop then. Any working hardware can play this game. Are you sure you have your gfx drivers installed properly? Even an onboard intel gpu can play this game.

Yeah I know something is definitely wrong with my laptop. Sound just randomly stopped working one day, overheating issues, battery problems, wireless connection stopped working etc.

It used to run HoN at like around 15 or so fps back in the early beta (when Magmus was OP). LoL runs sub-15 fps on lowest settings.

Grakl said:
Carrying teams with Caitlyn is so fun and easy, wow.

She's an excellent DPS. Got one escape, though, and if you blow it...

Also, be wary of champs that can jump at you, like Xin, Kassadin, Akali, Alistar... then you're fucked.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gez said:
After i buy Dr. Mundo what 3150 IP hero should i buy out of these?

Jax
Lux
Nidalee
Olaf
Shaco
Mordekaiser

?
From most useful to least useful:
Nidalee
Lux
Shaco (if you can jungle with him)
Mordekaiser
Jax
Olaf

From most fun to least fun:
Lux
Shaco
Nidalee
Jax
Mordekaiser
Olaf

Simple to play to Difficult:
Mordekaiser
Lux
Shaco
Jax
Olaf
Nidalee

Uchip

Banned
so my korean friend (bocky)
his dads name is Moon Doh

whether or not he goes where he pleases has yet to be seen

Diglet

Neo Member
If you really want a fun and difficult champion, go ap shaco. One of the most satisfying ways to get a kill is by your box halfway across the map. Don't just place a box to see if their jungler is coming, see their jungler and do 1/4th of the junglers health. Shivs do massive damage, and when your ult explodes you get triple kills.

Lux is not second least difficult by the way. Her kit is landing 3 skillshots in a row. Olaf is about as difficult as yi. But nidalee I agree i difficult.

EXGN

Diglet said:
If you really want a fun and difficult champion, go ap shaco. One of the most satisfying ways to get a kill is by your box halfway across the map. Don't just place a box to see if their jungler is coming, see their jungler and do 1/4th of the junglers health. Shivs do massive damage, and when your ult explodes you get triple kills.

Lux is not second least difficult by the way. Her kit is landing 3 skillshots in a row. Olaf is about as difficult as yi. But nidalee I agree i difficult.

I played AP Shaco for a while. Really fun, but not very viable IMO. I think I built Rabadon>Deathfire>Lichbane, if you did DFG>Shiv>Lich Bane proc you can 3 shot just about any squishy.

Also, gotta love setting up boxes in the brush and dominating facechecking noobs :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ultimoo said:
Olaf as least useful and least fun? OLAF DOES NOT APPROVE.
I wish they buffed Olaf. I like his hero concept, I really do. But he relies way too heavily on being able to auto attack someone freely. Even with his ult a lot of players can just flash/blink/run away.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ferga said:
Free blitzcrank week. :|

Think i'll just co-op for my daily IP boost for the first few days
I'm pretty new to the game, but is it really that big of a deal? He's not super hard to play and he can be huge for setting up assists, has great survivability and can even do a decent amount of damage.

I feel like I'm the only one even picking him though at my level.

Entwain

Dance In My Blood said:
I'm pretty new to the game, but is it really that big of a deal? He's not super hard to play and he can be huge for setting up assists, has great survivability and can even do a decent amount of damage.

I feel like I'm the only one even picking him though at my level.

It's the problem of people using him who have no idea what they are doing. Missing a hook is one thing, but constantly missing it over and over, causing entire ganks to fail, pulling the wrong hero (well hi there amumu ult outta no where) which screws the team over etc is the big problem.

Build him with 40% cdr, knock up every 3 seconds (if i remember right), and hook as they are running away, works very well, and is hilarious when people expect to get hooked first but get a golem in their face.

Entwain said:
It's the problem of people using him who have no idea what they are doing. Missing a hook is one thing, but constantly missing it over and over, causing entire ganks to fail, pulling the wrong hero (well hi there amumu ult outta no where) which screws the team over etc is the big problem.

Build him with 40% cdr, knock up every 3 seconds (if i remember right), and hook as they are running away, works very well, and is hilarious when people expect to get hooked first but get a golem in their face.

Yes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Entwain said:

I guess from what I've encountered so far I just see being a bad player and wasting a slot as something that isn't exclusive to Blitzcrank. Especially when this week there's Pantheon, Yorik, and Alistar for people to screw up.

And yes, picking people back up with the hand as they try to escape is amazing.

2th

Banned
Entwain said:

this is how you play blitz. especially later in the game. you get tanky to start fights
and as people run from your team you bring them back in.

Entwain

I loves me some golem.. makes me really wonder why i've never purchased him, but have a multitude of characters I never touch..

Entwain said:
a thousand times this :p <3

I like how you threatened to troll me, and I ended up trolling you.

I honestly didn't mean to. Jarvan is fun for me, but I do mindlessly jump. I need to learn to flag->spear first, and I should probably get GA after Trinity Force.

Entwain

Its all about that flag and spear in, the knock up can be combo'd into others knock ups so long as they use their damn brains. His ult really should be used to get one off to the side whos the biggest problem.

If it makes you feel better ive had nothing but feeders all night, jax who wanted mid and proceeded to jump minions only, irelia who thought she could 1v1 xin at level 1 etc. Just fun stuff, enjoying blitz this week kills any fun when you get games such as that ; ;

EXGN

I also hate free Blitz week because I get idiots that forget about his mana shield.

Warwick: "Oh, only 100 HP left? Let's dive!"

::Hits Blitz with skill, mana shield procs giving Blitz an extra 500 HP::

Warwick: "WTF!?"

::Warwick tries to run but gets hooked and knocked up in turret range::

Announcer: An ally has been slain.

Me:

fuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Flare

Holy shit, I don't care what people say about Galeo, that champ's a beast. He's given me my first 6 game win streak. If played properly, he's amazing.

Pjodor

Neo Member
solblade00 said:
Holy shit, I don't care what people say about Galeo, that champ's a beast. He's given me my first 6 game win streak. If played properly, he's amazing.
Yes, his ult is like Amumus ult the problem with Galeo is that he needs flash to initiate in a good way where Amumu have his bandage toss, that is also a stun.

EXGN

Pjodor said:
Yes, his ult is like Amumus ult the problem with Galeo is that he needs flash to initiate in a good way where Amumu have his bandage toss, that is also a stun.

Galeo's ult also sucks in the fact that it is a channeling ult that can be canceled quite easily. I still don't think he's a really great character, but it's nice to be able to build pure MR and still get a ton of AP. He's definitely a strategic pick - you need the right team comp on your side and the enemy's for him to be a really good choice.

red13th

Entwain said:

Yeah that's what I usually have to do because of my ping.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Love Taric.

Just gave Yorick a try in a bot game, I can see why people don't feel he is any good. He has no damage output if you don't build AD, but has no survivability if you don't build tanky. (Also had only caster runes set up, which didn't help)

Build him tanky with damage then. Items like Atma's, Sunfire, Banshees, and Trinity ought to work well with him.

And I dunno, but I find him dangerous to play against early to mid game. His constant, instant nuking is a pain. Late game he's only a nuisance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom