• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huzzah! I'm no longer a lurker! Feel free to add me on League. Summoner name is Bdizdog been level 30 since Poppy came out so I know my way around the block a little. Look forward to playing with you guys.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Glad they went with reducing the Deathcap's base AP down to 140 instead of reducing the pasive to just 25%. Yorick still doesn't sound that great.

Does the line "Removed the health decay on the Revenant and Reanimated pets" mean revived champs won't go away till you kill them?

Ferga said:
teleports to the back

Leona can tp to squishies. nice!
The problem is I can see this often turning into a Death Wish for her, but it will be a way to initiate team fights.

Alirstar's nerfs don't sound to bad, but his heal AP being halved is likely the biggest lost, since Heal with a decent amount of Mana regen can normally be spammed constantly with net zero mana cost.

red13th

Leona seems fun to play. I'm at around 7k IP since I ended up not getting Yorick, I guess I'll buy her. Either her or Maokai.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looking at the stats and abilities, wouldn't Warwick be nearly as good as backdooring as Yi? Have him Jungle in the start, and switch to backdooring once the laning phase is over? He won't have nearly as high of a base attack damage due to Yi's Wuju Style, but Hunters Call is very slimier to Highlander's Attack Speed buff (Highlander will last 2 extra seconds though), and has a much shorter cooldown (18 seconds instead of 75)

Gaaraz

What would you guys suggest is the best thing to spend points/experience on? Characters?

The only one I'm consistently not bad with is the girl with two swords and the smoke bomb attack (also the one where she kinda instantly teleports and attacks an enemy) so considering unlocking her full time...

idlewild_

Drkirby said:
Looking at the stats and abilities, wouldn't Warwick be nearly as good as backdooring as Yi? Have him Jungle in the start, and switch to backdooring once the laning phase is over? He won't have nearly as high of a base attack damage due to Yi's Wuju Style, but Hunters Call is very slimier to Highlander's Attack Speed buff (Highlander will last 2 extra seconds though), and has a much shorter cooldown (18 seconds instead of 75)

yi attacks faster, does more dmg per attack, and double strike works on towers. warwick would bd towers like mf or trist, in that they don't have any move/passive that does extra dmg to the turret, but with enough +dmg/as items and their as steroids they can mow a tower down.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gaaraz said:
What would you guys suggest is the best thing to spend points/experience on? Characters?

The only one I'm consistently not bad with is the girl with two swords and the smoke bomb attack (also the one where she kinda instantly teleports and attacks an enemy) so considering unlocking her full time...
I would think so. If you want to play around with runes, I would stick to level 1 runes till you are fully sure that the runes at level 3 are that you want to buy are a good idea.

I would unlock all the 450 champs if you haven't done so, they are dirt cheap and most of them are pretty good.

Then again, mistakes can lead to stumbling upon some unique concepts. Wouldn't have thought of Glass Canon Smasher Taric if I didn't buy Magic Pen Runes instead of AP runes by mistake, but the burst damage from levels 5 till about 14 with 28.5 Magic Pen is really good for that stage in the game for a mobile support character. Boots of Mobility + Haunting Guise makes Taric able to poke people who have only 30 MR like a beast.

EXGN

idlewild_ said:
yi attacks faster, does more dmg per attack, and double strike works on towers. warwick would bd towers like mf or trist, in that they don't have any move/passive that does extra dmg to the turret, but with enough +dmg/as items and their as steroids they can mow a tower down.

Plus, I think the biggest reason Yi is frustrating as a backdoorer is because he can pop Highlander to escape, making him invulnerable to any slows and impossible to catch. If your team notices WW back dooring, you can send a few people to go catch him and as long as you aren't completely all the way across the map, you may actually get the kill.

Gaaraz

Many thanks, I shall try a couple of the 450 champs before just purchasing them though :D Was tempted by runes but honestly none of them looked particularly good, I guess every little helps though? Like you said it could provide for some interesting (and unexpected) results too if I manage to find a good setup!

2th

Banned
wow just read the patch notes... they are bad for some. they completely nerfed Ali into oblivion as far as actually being support goes. all he is now is a CC cow that takes a beating. nothing else.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Drkirby said:
You really should stop stat playing.

Reason why Yi is popular for it is his ult+Zig Zag thing(Forgot name). His ult allows him to down the tower fast... or it allows him to escape after doing so. He is the fastest in the game once its activated. So he can safely backdoor and back out before they can catch him. Or it allows him to push to the next one at an extremely fast rate. One tower will be gone as you port back, the next one will be gone by the time you get there. He is that quick at it.

His ult also makes him impossible to kite, and the Zig Zag allows him to close/create a gap. So if they send a squishy back to deal with him. You'll just have a dead squishy and a loss tower.

All this is amplified if you build him Warmogers/Tank Yi with a Ghostblade.

Tyrand is another popular choice for similar reasons. His dash allows him to go through bushes, his ult allows him to dive safely, and how you build him, will allow you to bring down most towers in a few shots.

WW isn't a bad choice. Q allows him to constantly keep up HP with minions next to it. So only thing he would have to worry about 2 players or a hard carry. But he also gets caught easily.

Leezard

2th said:
wow just read the patch notes... they are bad for some. they completely nerfed Ali into oblivion as far as actually being support goes. all he is now is a CC cow that takes a beating. nothing else.
You act as if you build loads of AP on a support. AP Alistar was hurt by this, support Alistar lost nearly nothing.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
DnjU5.png

omg I must have this skin.

Boken

Banned
IIRC he heals off champion's more now and less off minions which is a nerf to his lane sustainability (which beat even vlad before his nerf) but a buff to his team fight ability. So yes, you're gonna eat people!

Amumu has too many skins.

Very interested to see how the buffs affect Yorick. As far as I'm concerned, he only got released after this patch.

EXGN

Boken said:
Very interested to see how the buffs affect Yorick. As far as I'm concerned, he only got released after this patch.

I agree. Are they changing the champ rotation before the next patch hits? It would be nice to try Yorick for free, post buffs. Then again, I absolutely loathe this current cycle of free champs with Blitz and Heimer, so I'm down for it to be over lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I really hate it when Riot tries to force certain heroes into specific roles they had in mind.

Why kill variety? What does it do for the game when you take away choices from the player?

I guess Lane Udyr's next on the chopping block.

I approve of nerfing Deathcap, however.

Gaaraz

What's a good class for some real serious PVP damage? Sometimes characters can use a combo of three or so skills that will completely destroy my health in seconds. I want to be able to do that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gaaraz said:
What's a good class for some real serious PVP damage? Sometimes characters can use a combo of three or so skills that will completely destroy my health in seconds. I want to be able to do that.
Annie is the personification of the doom combo.

Brand and Veigar can also do something similar.

EXGN said:
I agree. Are they changing the champ rotation before the next patch hits? It would be nice to try Yorick for free, post buffs. Then again, I absolutely loathe this current cycle of free champs with Blitz and Heimer, so I'm down for it to be over lol.
the patch video said you'd have a few days with free yorick so try to compare him pre-patch and post-patch. so yeah I don't think they're changing the rotation until the normal day.

RedGamer

Neo Member
Anyone up for some games when the server's come up? I'll be on Mumble for the forseeable future today. I'm currently Summoner Level 18 but I'm fine with playing with any summoner level GAF player.

Gaaraz said:
Many thanks, I shall try a couple of the 450 champs before just purchasing them though :D Was tempted by runes but honestly none of them looked particularly good, I guess every little helps though? Like you said it could provide for some interesting (and unexpected) results too if I manage to find a good setup!

Runes make a world of difference on some champs. I know my Caitlyn and Jarvan really benefit from the ArmPen and ManaReg from the runes. The approach to runes, imo, is to ask "What does this champ REALLY need early game?" Runes become irrelevant late game, except for specific runes like % critical change and % cooldown reduction.

EXGN

Halycon said:
I really hate it when Riot tries to force certain heroes into specific roles they had in mind.

Why kill variety? What does it do for the game when you take away choices from the player?

I guess Lane Udyr's next on the chopping block.

I approve of nerfing Deathcap, however.

Totally agree. I actually think that's one of the coolest things about the early champions, there are a number of different ways to play them. I definitely think Twisted Fate was designed to be a DPS but he ended up being a better AP caster. Builds like AP Yi, AP Trist, AP Alistar, DPS Kass are all really fun, though some may not be the most viable way to play.

Seems like all the new champs that have very specific roles to fill and now they are even changing older champs to play in specific ways.

I'll be up for some games. I'll also be on Mumble.

---

Please get Mumble if you want to play with GAF!

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

---

Also, I'm starting to feel hesitant about forming 5 man GAF Groups. If you don't play together regularly and you don't chat, losses are almost guaranteed. 2-3 is probably the optimal size, since I've noticed GAFfers seriously dislike having 4 GAFfers and a random.

I think it's when variety in a character allows for them to dual role with each role being as good as someone dong a single role.

AP alistar is also great at support and tanking. Lowering ap ratios means alistar needs more ap to be ap, and thus can't waste space on tanky or support items.

Kyoufu

Leona + Valkyrie Profile skin... delicious.

2th said:

So he'll still be super annoying to play against.

2th

Banned
SO i noticed they didnt buff anything on Yorick really.

Yorick

- Omen of War
Fixed a bug where the Spectral Ghoul would not spawn if Yorick was silenced.
- Omen of Pestilence
Increased the cast range by 50
Improved the consistency of the AoE slow by increasing the radius and rate of application.
Mana cost reduced to 40/45/50/55//60 from 50/55/60/65/70
- Omen of Famine
Mana cost reduced to 55/60/65/70/75 from 60/65/70/75/80
- Omen of Death
Updated the visual of Reanimated Champions to better show when a Champion has revived.
Removed the health decay on the Revenant and Reanimated pets
Fixed a bug with the interaction between Chronoshift and Revenants
Fixed a bug with Heimerdinger's turrets and the Reanimated state
- Unholy Symbiosis
Yorick now takes 5% reduced damage for each summon that is active.
Increased the Attack Damage and Health of ghouls to 35% from 30% of Yorick's Attack Damage and Health
- Ghouls
Ghouls are now immune to slows.
Ghouls take 50% reduced damage from AoE abilities
- General
Mana per level increased to 35 from 30
Health per level increased to 85 from 80
Armor per level increased to 3.6 from 3
Base Movement speed increased to 320 from 315
Slightly increased his base Attack Speed

Basically they just made him a little tankier by changing his passive up and buffed his ghouls by 5%. Overall his damage is still going to be subpar. The only thing now is that he wont be completely OOM while spamming spells that tickle.

Oh and now someone who gets temporarily revived might actually survive the 10 seconds to get revenge cause their health dont be decaying.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
RedGamer said:
Anyone up for some games when the server's come up? I'll be on Mumble for the forseeable future today. I'm currently Summoner Level 18 but I'm fine with playing with any summoner level GAF player.

I'm in. Level 27, summoner name canseesea

2th said:

Basically they just made him a little tankier by changing his passive up and buffed his ghouls by 5%. Overall his damage is still going to be subpar. The only thing now is that he wont be completely OOM while spamming spells that tickle.

Oh and now someone who gets temporarily revived might actually survive the 10 seconds to get revenge cause their health dont be decaying.
Treat his ult as a shaco you can cast on anyone. If you max e/w and with 0 q, you can harass a lot lot lot.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
2th said:

I think you're underestimating the changes to his ghouls. The fact that they no longer have decaying health is huge.

Dance In My Blood said:
I think you're underestimating the changes to his ghouls. The fact that they no longer have decaying health is huge.
Uh. "reminants" = ult... are you saying "reanimated pets" = ghouls? I thought ghouls are still a 5 second timer.

Dance In My Blood said:

I think that's the biggest change, personally. Before I could just outlast the ghouls by ignoring them straightout. Now I'll have to actually deal with them.

Gaaraz

Halycon said:
Annie is the personification of the doom combo.

Brand and Veigar can also do something similar.
Many thanks! I tried Annie as my first character and did badly for obvious reasons, just played in a game where someone as her got 22 kills and 0 deaths - so thinking that's a really good shout for a character that just completely destroys other players!

Haven't tried Brand or Viegar yet (or even seen them in a match tbh!) so will give them a look sometime:)

2th

Banned
Owlowiscious said:
Uh. "reminants" = ult... are you saying "reanimated pets" = ghouls? I thought ghouls are still a 5 second timer.

this. Ghouls now have 35% of Yoricks health instead of 30% and last 5 seconds at most.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Owlowiscious said:
Oh, guess I just misread it. The changes probably won't be enough to really push him towards being worthwhile if that's the case.

EXGN

So wait, Leona pretty much has the equivalent of Amumu's bandage grab, except it goes through creeps and damages multiple hero units AND Sion's shield AND both a single and multi target stun? Shes gonna be instabanned in every ranked game.

EXGN said:
So wait, Leona pretty much has the equivalent of Amumu's bandage grab, except it goes through creeps and damages multiple hero units AND Sion's shield AND both a single and multi target stun? Shes gonna be instabanned in every ranked game.
Passive: Lux Passive that procs for anyone
Q- Blitz's pop up but it's a stun
W- Sion's shield but is AR/MR, and the explosion is always at 3s
E- Amumu's bandage grab but can go through minions and WITHOUT THE STUN
R- Veigar's meteor + heimer's grenade

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
2th said:

Meh, I dislike him either way. Such an annoying lane partner. AE skills that do little damage, no CC, squishy, etc. Its just another annoying character that fucks up dual lanes.

shintoki said:
Meh, I dislike him either way. Such an annoying lane partner. AE skills that do little damage,
true, but at least idiots can't push a lane needlessly
his W slows?
is he? it didn't feel like that to me.
etc. Its just another annoying character that fucks up dual lanes.
W+E fucks people up. I don't know what a good dual lane pertner would be to finish them off though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom