• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

Yus. Season 1, BEGIN! Can't wait to get rolling today. GAF games? Add me to your list, I'm a cool dude. Summoner name: AOD Croc

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Auth is down of course, but the patch went through and you can get to the new login screen. Prior jankiness addressed ;b

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm really excited to see what they do with S1. There are times where I feel like jumping off of HoN and trying LoL, but the amateur hour look of everything turns me off.

Any idea if the in-game UI will be touched up a little? Better font kerning/smoothing? Better in-game menu? Shorter load times?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Lyphen said:
I'm really excited to see what they do with S1. There are times where I feel like jumping off of HoN and trying LoL, but the amateur hour look of everything turns me off.

Any idea if the in-game UI will be touched up a little? Better font kerning/smoothing? Better in-game menu? Shorter load times?

You should try playing Ultima VII some time ;b

hobart

eznark said:
when is the last time Nasus even got a tweak? Most perfectly balanced champ ever?

Probably... but I also don't think he's played enough (and therefore, complained about) for anyone to really say 'x' needs to be changed. Which is funny... because he's rather high on a few tier lists I've read.

As a Trist player.. I can tell you I haven't seen a tweak in quite some time. But again... she's another character that doesn't get all that much play. In my last 20 games I can say that maybe I've seen 2 oppose me....... and I've NEVER seen anyone grab Trist over me on the picking stage.

I just like seeing that some of these champs aren't tweaked for the hell of it. I like reading that it's minor bug fixes over major reworking. Makes me believe that much of the champion creation process done by Riot is quite ample.

Disappointed in the lack of Heimer nerf. His grenades aren't even the issue imo.

And I was looking forward to Riot Squad Singed after being teased by it's art during champ select for weeks : /

Rayven

aka surume
hobart said:
Odds on a seamless transition today?
Huge optimizations and changes across the board. Fingers crossed.

Lyphen said:

I've seen your posts and I don't think anything we do will be enough for you. We didn't get in all of the skinning changes we had lined up, but many of them made it. Improvements will keep rolling in through the next couple patches. No real changes to the in-game UI, all platform side.

DrBo42

First time jumping into a Ranked match, so excited then just as I'm about to pick Ezreal, I see his name appear in the BANNED section at the bottom left. Wtf? They nerfed my hero and people want to ban him still? Sigh.

Edit: Note for any devs reading, with the new interface is it impossible to see which rune page is which just before the match begins? That's the only thing I've seen that appears to go backwards in terms of optimizations.

Double Edit: Apparently you can hover over them to see it. Rad. :)

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Would like to try playing this with GAFfers. I'm "Oldats" in-game. Used to play Morgana (average skill level), now I'm learning Kayle and Katarina. Anyone use Vent or some other form of voicechat while playing this?

caromelo

Disappointed there weren't any Malphite buffs since I used to main him alot. Every time there's a patch he's barely touched. Anyways, just logged onto the new PVP.NET UI and it does look pretty nice. A huge improvement to the previous UI.

I want more rune pages though, I have enough runes to optimize 3 pages for general tanking, AD and AP type heroes but find it really annoying to have to clear and rebuild pages.

So, I just went to play the character I spent all last week playing and am told that they change the free characters each week. Thats some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Well, I found HoN unplayable for much more significant reasons than fonts or UI imperfections.

-Dark, glowing, bloomed out heroes on dark, glowing, bloomed out backgrounds. Can be impossible to distinguish what is going on, especially in team battles.

-Copy/paste of DotA mechanics left archaic limitations in place, like no ability damage scaling.

-In-match item shop is organized nonsensically and extremely difficult to get a grip on.

-Worst community of all time. Was berated by gaffers continuously for not being good enough while attempting to learn the game, left to get ganked and then called a feeder, was given an item recommendation by a teammate that turned out to be completely useless for my champion and then laughed at for not knowing that before buying, etc. etc. etc. And that's just playing with people from GAF, who I wouldn't expect to be such cunts to me for no reason.

I'll take the inferior UI...

eznark

Banned
HeartAttackJones said:
I've seen your posts and I don't think anything we do will be enough for you. We didn't get in all of the skinning changes we had lined up, but many of them made it. Improvements will keep rolling in through the next couple patches. No real changes to the in-game UI, all platform side.

Can't please everyone, his posts in the thread are generally "I would like to give this game a chance but man I fucking hate it"

Servers not up? nevermind

Ooooh, fancy log in. Jumping into a ranked game! Everything looks really nice. Banning faze! Man I am already stoked.

caromelo

Servers are up. Pretty exciting having the draft mode instead of lame blind picks. So far, heimer, taric, shen and pantheon have been the main ones that have been banned.

eznark

Banned
:lol

So matchmaking is starting over I take it. Just played with a Singed who died 8 times in the first 18 minutes. I didn't even know that was possible.

Our team started out 1-10 thanks to that...man, I lost 32 points! Once Blitz and Zin were fed it was impossible to do anything. Sucks that when you get way down, turtling til 25 is probably the only way to not lose a ton of points thanks to cheapo meaningless deaths while you wait for /surrender

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
HeartAttackJones said:
You're probably right. Sometimes its best to throw in the towel, no matter how interested you are in a game. I just can't get past the imperfections (they're horribly distracting and ugly to me, but to most, probably unnoticeable).

EviLore said:
Well, I found HoN unplayable for much more significant reasons than fonts or UI imperfections.

-Dark, glowing, bloomed out heroes on dark, glowing, bloomed out backgrounds. Can be impossible to distinguish what is going on, especially in team battles.

-Copy/paste of DotA mechanics left archaic limitations in place, like no ability damage scaling.

-In-match item shop is organized nonsensically and extremely difficult to get a grip on.

-Worst community of all time. Was berated by gaffers continuously for not being good enough while attempting to learn the game, left to get ganked and then called a feeder, was given an item recommendation by a teammate that turned out to be completely useless for my champion and then laughed at for not knowing that before buying, etc. etc. etc. And that's just playing with people from GAF, who I wouldn't expect to be such cunts to me for no reason.

Some abilities are a bit too flashy, but I've never had any difficulty differentiating the heroes from the backgrounds, or from other elements. I know the game had issues with nVidia cards during beta, so maybe it was a digital vibrance/gamma issue, I don't know.

As for the shop and DotA copy, well, those were design decisions to try to appease a certain audience, and some people will be against them. I for one, think abilities like armor/magic penetration, whose bonuses aren't instantly apparent, are silly and more convoluted than they should be, considering a goal seem to be ease of use. And HoN's shop, though organized in its own way, is definitely less accessible than LoL's 'tag' system. Both games do a lot that I don't agree with (HoN's tooltips are way too big and wordy, making them stupidly imposing for new players), but I'm in between where both games are targeting, so they can't hit all the marks.

As for raging, yeah. Maybe HoN's report a player will change the game's meta attitude in a few months, but I think they just need to make a playpen for casual gamers, because I feel threatened a lot of the time. Problem is, matchmaking and public games are based on PSR and not gaming style, so if a raging hardcore guy sucks enough to get to the beginner PSR level, he'll get the opportunity to confront and attack hatchlings new to the game.

Ideally, both games would try to expand into eachother's territory and a little a improve on what their offering. I'd like LoL to have HoN's extremely high level of polish and HoN to have LoL's accessibility (shop, community attitude). But like HeartAttackJones said, that's just an unattainable dream on my part.

hobart

Aight I played one ranked... prolly like everyone... few thoughts:

1. UI is cleaner, nicer. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it... but it resembles WoW Armory a lot. Not a bad thing... big cartoony buttons... easy to read stats. It'll be really nice once a couple hundred games will be played. Lotta info available.

2. Laggy... but not terrible. I expected it to be a lot worse on deployment. We'll see tonight.. but I've definitely seen a LOT worse (*cough* Blizzard *cough*).

3. Mixing the skills of seasoned vets and less than weathered players, right now, is going to be trying. I know everyone loves to talk about how much better the community is here than it is over with DOTA and HoN... but I've already encountered a couple elitist punks. None had anything to say to me... but we had a couple of players who weren't up to snuff. This game really gives you the ability to mount comebacks... so... having complaining players on your side... throw /s all's to the other team....... so boring and less than positive. I expect this will even out after a few weeks... but... for now we'll have to deal with it.

EviLore: Shame... but expected. I think the community just rubs off on everyone, unfortunately.

Rayven

aka surume
Lyphen said:
You're probably right. Sometimes its best to throw in the towel, no matter how interested you are in a game. I just can't get past the imperfections (they're horribly distracting and ugly to me, but to most, probably unnoticeable).
I'm passionate about UI too so I appreciate your enthusiasm. All I can say is, we are constantly working to improve the look, feel, and functionality of both the client and in-game HUD. It will continue to get better.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Grueling, terrible 3v3 normal match where I had to solo the enemy team for the most part while Katarina sat in spawn for minutes at a time deciding what items to get while the enemy team was dead (multiple times...). Game clock ran 58:10. Pulled it out, somehow, though.

lollongest3v3.jpg

Chozo

Door2Dawn said:
Anyone else having trouble logging on?

BUSY
BUSY
BUSY
UNAVAILABLE (Are you connected to the Internet?)
BUSY
BUSY
BUSY
BUSY
BUSY
BUSY
BUSY
BUSY
BUSY
BUSY

Yeah =|

hobart

For those that are Busy... at the Launcher press on the directionals:

Up down left right up up down down

Enjoy.

EviLore said:

Yeah, Hon's community is really horrendous. However, it's gotten a lot better since the release of the report a player function.

Anyone playing LoL right now? I feel like taking a short break from hon.

eznark

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Yeah, Hon's community is really horrendous. However, it's gotten a lot better since the release of the report a player function.

Anyone playing LoL right now? I feel like taking a short break from hon.
whats your name? setting one up now

hobart

eznark and I were on a bit ago. I just haven't had enough time to complete a whole game. I should be on a bit later for a few games. I really recommend having a whole arranged team (5) before entering the queue.

Door2/Jazzy: Lemme know when it works for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom