• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsuo9

HeartAttackJones said:
Nah, the servers are fine. Chat went down, everyone logged out, then tried to log back in at once. It'll get fixed.
Well for some reason I tried to reconect and relog for more than 15 minutes and then I gave up. Not only that, there was a lot of lag in game for me, I couldn't last hit well.

Kyoufu

Starting to hate the game now. The fact that the game is so unbalanced that ranked games resort to banned characters makes the whole game feel dumb IMO.

And then there are the non "high elo" characters like Akali who can't do anything against the better champions.......

Yuck.

Tetsuo9

Kyoufu said:
Starting to hate the game now. The fact that the game is so unbalanced that ranked games resort to banned characters makes the whole game feel dumb IMO.

Meh.
It's not really for that, the idea is to ban characters that make some teams too strong. Dota, hon and now lol have this system in place for tournaments and ranked games.

And I think perfect balance is something impossible in this game, something will always be op and it will change over time, so the only way to deal with that is with constant small updates.

IcedTea

Kyoufu said:

And then there are the non "high elo" characters like Akali who can't do anything against the better champions.......

Yuck.
The idea is that you'll be able to plan a team comp with your team, and then ban any champs that counter it especially well, or to ban a champ that you know your opponents build their team around. For instance, take an aoe dmg team, it would probably consist of something like Amumu to hold people in place, Morgana and Fiddle and Annie to come in and blow people up, and probably an Ashe or something for dps. They'd probably want to ban Janna because Janna's ult can really counter their aoe burst well, and can otherwise disrupt it well with her tornadoes. Or, if you're the other team, you'll probably end up banning Amumu and/or Morg to prevent them from being able to set up the aoe in the first place.

Of course in solo queues people will just ban whatever the most annoying champ is. But the banning is not to balance characters, that's what the patches are for (see the recent Heimer, Pantheon, Ezreal, etc nerfs).

And unless you're in a high level tournament, individual skill has a much bigger impact than whether or not you're using an 'overpowered' or 'underpowered' champion. If you're good you can still do fine with champs like Akali. Watch some livestreams of some top ~500-1000 level players, they're always doing random crap like AP Alistar or AP Trynd and still dominating.

JoeFu

Banned
Been on a terrible losing streak, not really sure who to play at the moment either, oh well.

Anybody going to play a game now?

JoeFu said:
Been on a terrible losing streak, not really sure who to play at the moment either, oh well.

Anybody going to play a game now?
A few of us just started a game but whats your summoner name so we can get one going after.

Inskipp

Had a nice winstreak with guillotine and other gaffers. Imma play more Shen in US now that he is in rotation :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Kyoufu said:

Yuck.
That isn't the point behind banning drafts. Watch a HoN or DotA competitive game's picking phase to see. Banning Draft is to done to put a damper on your opponent team synergy, and possibly remove some counters to what you are planning to pick.

Right now in LoL, it's working differently, because Riot has never taken the opportunity to balance for competitive play, but once they start balancing based on Ranked results, the strategy behind picking phase will become more interesting.

Fjord

Name is Papple if anyone is up for some games in 20 minutes.

I'm disappointed there is no solo ranked 3s, I went something like 65-6 with Shaco doing that.

VaLiancY

Pantheon's early game really got hurt.:( Christ, now I have to find a way to make him better. Spear Shot's higher mana cost fucks over my farming hard. :lol

Never got into DOTA, the veteran players made it impossible to try to learn the game and I didn't have any friends to teach me locally.

But considering how good this game looks and being that its free, I'm downloading it now. I remember taking part in the beta a while back but I don't remember much of it.

eznark

Banned
We were able to get a couple game in there with Tekno and Papple. Touch and go on the first one but pulled it out, absolutely stomped them the second one. Man this game is too much fun.

FatalT

Banned
I just bought the Collector's Pack for $20 at Gamestop and can't get on to redeem the codes for my stuff. I'm not even sure if they're going to work because the box was gutted and they had everything behind the counter. Blarg. WORK YOU STUPID SERVER!

DrBo42

Throw me an invite when the servers return to some normalcy. I need some wins, solo queuing is fucking me over.

StormyTheRabbit said:
Never got into DOTA, the veteran players made it impossible to try to learn the game and I didn't have any friends to teach me locally.

But considering how good this game looks and being that its free, I'm downloading it now. I remember taking part in the beta a while back but I don't remember much of it.
Ya.. this game has a lot of nice users but more jackasses that I've seen in the past 28 years :lol <3 LOL

thestopsign said:
You haven't played HoN, have you?
If I had HoN I doubt I'd be here.. but from what I've been reading its not as bad as its used to be. I really love this game but I just wanna play Katarina and now that I can't this week I have nothing to do =\ I was just starting to learn the game and they take away my little whore.

Macattk15

DarkAngelYuna said:
If I had HoN I doubt I'd be here.. but from what I've been reading its not as bad as its used to be. I really love this game but I just wanna play Katarina and now that I can't this week I have nothing to do =\ I was just starting to learn the game and they take away my little whore.

Learn a new character!

Play Ryze, his burst is OP.

Tendo

I finally decide to jump in and practice games are offline :( I have never played a DOTA game before and this looks daunting, but a ton of fun.

Name is tendo85. Add me dudebros, so you may laugh at my noobness.

Leezard

DarkAngelYuna said:
You should, at least, be able to afford Kat once you've gotten some first win of the days. Take the opportunity to find other characters you like!

Leezard said:
You should, at least, be able to afford Kat once you've gotten some first win of the days. Take the opportunity to find other characters you like!
Oh I will. I was just nerd raging after spending an entire week trying to learn the game, using only her and still sucking to just have her stolen away :D <3 this game. Its more addicting than wow..

Actually been using cho'gath tonight since he's free for keeps. I think he's fun and interesting, just gotta work on not running out of mana.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Is there anyway to check your k/d ratio overall and for each specific champion in normal games? I was negative with Fiddle, but I just went +46 in the last two days and I wanted to see my overall k/d with Fiddle.

It would be boss if we could get all get on a vent for future gaf games. The game is so much better over a chat.

-if you are new to the game or don't have a dota background the easiest thing to learn that will improve your game dramatically is learning to last hit (aka the art of waiting till a creep is at low enough hp to die in one hit before swooping in for the $$)

During laning you want to last hit. You will get MORE creep kills ( and more gold) than if you just bashed at the creeps. You will also be relatively safe from ganks because you won't be overextended. It also frees you up to harass them if you can. If you opponents are too aggressive then this will open THEM up for ganks.

Now if you're worried about pushing, most heroes cannot push effectively lvl 1-6 unless you score a double kill. So it's not an issue. Once a gank happens and your lane is clear you will be able to push much more effectively.

Ranged heroes will always have an easier time than melee but give it a try in your next game!

Zhengi

DarkAngelYuna said:
Actually been using cho'gath tonight since he's free for keeps. I think he's fun and interesting, just gotta work on not running out of mana.

Use his passive to regain mana. One of the things I like about Cho is putting more points into his vorpal blades(?) skill. This way, when he farms, it is easier to kill minions for last hits and it restores both his HP and mana. Cho is one of the only champs who can stay in lane for a long time.

Inskipp

Zhengi said:
Cho is one of the only champs who can stay in lane for a long time.
There are plenty of champs who can lane for quite a long time (Shen, Mundo and Morde just to name a few)

DrBo42

Some people have no business being in the ranked queue. I keep getting fucked over by some of the worst team mates ever. Fuck it's frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom