• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

I have to say I hate jungling when there's an Eve or Twitch on the opposing team.
I mean, I jungled Amumu before the Twitch nerf. That sucked.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
At the very least, you can counter Eve/Twitch with items (though not very well, I always thought sight wards had a ridiculously low detection range). There is no direct counter, however, to TF/Panth's ult. Even if they nerf the range it'll still be like fighting Nocturne, which is a pain in the butt anyone who's faced a good jungle Nocturne knows well.

Haly

Clan Channels (your own and others) that you log into on automatically. A clan tag in front of your name. A rank system, three should be enough: Leader, Officer, Everyone else. A simple way to pass leadership from one account to another without overmuch hassle. A way to broadcast to everyone in your clan, whether they are inside or outside a game.

Clan channels are the big thing though. The biggest obstacle to organizing LoL GAF games is that not everyone has everyone else added and no one wants to bother with the full list, also we don't know who's who when our names here and names in LoL differ. And it's hard to get to know one another (thereby building the trust necessary for teamwork) if we don't really talk.

eosos

Banned
Halycon said:
Clan Channels (your own and others) that you log into on automatically. A clan tag in front of your name. A rank system, three should be enough: Leader, Officer, Everyone else. A simple way to pass leadership from one account to another without overmuch hassle. A way to broadcast to everyone in your clan, whether they are inside or outside a game.

Clan channels are the big thing though. The biggest obstacle to organizing LoL GAF games is that not everyone has everyone else added and no one wants to bother with the full list, also we don't know who's who when our names here and names in LoL differ. And it's hard to get to know one another (thereby building the trust necessary for teamwork) if we don't really talk.
Yeah, that. Maybe some more ranks though or a way to add a profile to your name like a bio saying what rank you are. Last part isn't really important though.

Edit : Basically he warcraft 3 system.

Haly

Another nice addition would be playing stats on mouse over. Although this is only tangentially related to the Clan system, if I'm putting together a group of Gaffers I'd like to know who can play what, are suited to which roles, etc.

Deadly

I skipped tutorials and went straight to game. Bad idea. Played 1 game solo, as Annie, seemed simple, went kinda well. Played another as Cas and did not like, went terrible :lol

Haly

You should try out the ones with a low difficulty rating. They're pretty accurate if you're just looking for a general impression of skill level.

AP Sivir. You heard it here first. Go 3x Doran's Ring ---> Spellvamp Gun ---> Will of Ancients or Hextech ---> Will of Ancients or Hextech ---> Guinsoo's ---> Rylai's/Lich's Bane

I went 4-0 with it tonight haha. This was in normal games.

Kyoufu

thestopsign said:
AP Sivir. You heard it here first. Go 3x Doran's Ring ---> Spellvamp Gun ---> Will of Ancients or Hextech ---> Will of Ancients or Hextech ---> Guinsoo's ---> Rylai's/Lich's Bane

I went 4-0 with it tonight haha. This was in normal games.

AP Sivir is so 2010 man.

Blizzard

Banned
Someone said I should download this, and I played through the first tutorial (easy), second tutorial (picked the knight and it took FOREVER), and my first ever online game vs beginner bots (basically 4v5, and we got slaughtered finally, me playing the snake lady Cass).

The second game, someone instantly disconnected and we were 4v5 but rolled over the bots. I played Soraka and healed/mana boosted my team out the wazoo, no kills but like 22 assists. Someone on my team as Kayne had like 41 kills and 1 death though. >_>

The game seems fun but it seems like there should be more than one map, plus thus far the little subquest areas on the map don't seem to be too useful, or maybe I just need to learn their timing and strategy.

Ferga

Can't seem to win anything lately. Usually on scores like 3-0 4-0 in laning phase but after that all the team does is die so i end up negative

getting pretty frustrating

red13th

Twisted Fate (or Pantheon, not sure) teleport range is "currently 5500".

Not sure how long that is. Just checked, for comparison Nocture's teleport is 3500 at rank 3.

Rayven said:
What is the element of clan support you are looking forward to most (anyone feel free to chime in)?

Like previously stated, Clan Channels, and all that goes with it. It's hard to build a community. I probably have one of the most extensive GAF lists and even I got tired of trying to round everyone up. It's be nice to have a centralized location for everyone to meet, chat, and organize games.

Blizzard said:
Someone said I should download this, and I played through the first tutorial (easy), second tutorial (picked the knight and it took FOREVER), and my first ever online game vs beginner bots (basically 4v5, and we got slaughtered finally, me playing the snake lady Cass).
The second game, someone instantly disconnected and we were 4v5 but rolled over the bots. I played Soraka and healed/mana boosted my team out the wazoo, no kills but like 22 assists. Someone on my team as Kayne had like 41 kills and 1 death though. >_>
The game seems fun but it seems like there should be more than one map, plus thus far the little subquest areas on the map don't seem to be too useful, or maybe I just need to learn their timing and strategy.

The subquest areas are incredible useful, particularly the red/blue aura monsters, the Dragon, and Baron. Everything else is just free gold to pick up on your way to somewhere.

CrazedProfessional said:
Is yorick worth buying yet, whats the best build I can follow, if so?

He's worth buying, but builds haven't been finalized yet due to his abysmal start.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
After a few terrible games with Vayne I think I'm getting a hang of her. Will probably buy her when this week ends.

Blizzard

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
The subquest areas are incredible useful, particularly the red/blue aura monsters, the Dragon, and Baron. Everything else is just free gold to pick up on your way to somewhere.
Thanks, I will have to learn where those are then. I thought that the tutorial said the dragon basically just gave everyone gold, but I am probably wrong.

Is there ever any other map besides the basic three-lane map that shows up in beginner human vs. AI games? I haven't tried PVP yet.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The game only has 2 maps at the moment, the 5v5 3 lane map, and a 3v3 2 lane map. Their was supposed to be a second 5v5 map, but Riot has been dragging their feet with it for a while and their is a quote from E3 implying it may of been canned.

The biggest problem I think with coming out with more maps is balancing them. There are 78 characters right now.

Blizzard said:
Thanks, I will have to learn where those are then. I thought that the tutorial said the dragon basically just gave everyone gold, but I am probably wrong.

It gives everyone gold, and gives a massive XP boost to everyone present at the killing of the dragon. It's 190 gold regardless, which is a considerable amount of team gold.

Blue buff reduces cooldowns by 22% and increases your mana regen by 1.5% of your mana pool, which is especially good for casters but almost anyone can find a benefit from it.

Red buff slows the opponent when you auto attack them and deals a tiny bit of true damage over time. Not as useful to most of the cast, imo, but excels on autoattackers.

Baron is like an endgame boss and requires at least 3 to take it down. A very risky boost to seek, as the other team could gank you in a weakened state.

People told me to, because I'm a beginner, play 1 or 2 characters and get really good at them.

Thank god I didn't take their advice and play every single free character I can, because without knowing the enemy, you are useless. Yesterday, I played against a very well fed Blue Bird dude and we lost, probably because they were fed like crazy thanks to 2 losers on my team, but also because I had no freggin clue what to do against the blue bird of death. Really hope to see that champ in the free line up soon so I can play him once or twice and piece it together.

Nothing is worse than seeing the enemy line up and not knowing a character for me. I hate that. And sure there's a lot nuance in the game, but it doesn't take that long to get a good enough grasp of a character and a build to play a character "right." I still have more wins than losses and so far I've only played Solo 5 vs 5 AND I can switch to tank, support, whatever you need me to. If you're new to this game, don't get stuck playing a few characters. Play all of them. Play some beginner Vs AI at first and play them all. When you played them all, choose the one you like most and play some 5 vs 5 with him and see how you do and get a better sense if its a match.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Anivia is a classic Glass Canon. Easy to kill if you can get them by them selves and stun lock them for a moment, but can kill you in a few seconds flat. Its a character you don't want to tower dive unless you are sure they don't have their egg up (If you click the character, you can check the icon to see if their egg is up or not)

I have a few characters I have put a lot of time into and know a lot of ins and outs of them, but I do give the new characters a try every week. I tend to pick one of the free ones to hunker down on and really try out before deciding if to buy them or not.

Mr. B Natural said:
People told me to, because I'm a beginner, play 1 or 2 characters and get really good at them.

Thank god I didn't take their advice and play every single free character I can, because without knowing the enemy, you are useless. Yesterday, I played against a very well fed Blue Bird dude and we lost, probably because they were fed like crazy thanks to 2 losers on my team, but also because I had no freggin clue what to do against the blue bird of death. Really hope to see that champ in the free line up soon so I can play him once or twice and piece it together.

Nothing is worse than seeing the enemy line up and not knowing a character for me. I hate that.

That experience comes one of three ways:

1) Time - You end up figuring out what the opposing champions do. Ex. Icy circle of death slows me and does a fuck ton of damage. Also, apparently has no cooldown.

2) Reading - leagueoflegends.com/champions has every champion and every ability in the game. Read through the list to know what each champion is capable of.

3) Play - Play each champion to get a personal feel for how they play, and a more intimate knowledge of their personal ranges.

Obviously, playing the champion gives you the best sense of what they are capable of. I played at least one game as half the cast, but it's very time consuming. I personally read every champion's profile, and then just played a ton of games.

So I did all three. I tend to play a champion when I'm really interested in their abilities and design, or if I am having particular trouble against them.

FlightOfHeaven said:
That experience comes one of three ways:

1) Time - You end up figuring out what the opposing champions do. Ex. Icy circle of death slows me and does a fuck ton of damage. Also, apparently has no cooldown.

2) Reading - leagueoflegends.com/champions has every champion and every ability in the game. Read through the list to know what each champion is capable of.

3) Play - Play each champion to get a personal feel for how they play, and a more intimate knowledge of their personal ranges.

Obviously, playing the champion gives you the best sense of what they are capable of. I played at least one game as half the cast, but it's very time consuming. I personally read every champion's profile, and then just played a ton of games.

So I did all three. I tend to play a champion when I'm really interested in their abilities and design, or if I am having particular trouble against them.
Oh yeah, definitely, but I, personally, couldn't get a REAL grasp of how a champion is suppose to play until I actually play them. Because there's more going on than buffs, CC and damage. There's range, there's cooldown, there's little things about an ability that you might not pick up without just playing it. Silly little If Thens that make or break.

And when I was beginning, I was overwhelmed by looking at documentation, but a lot of that documentation became clear once I put myself in the champion's shoes. Now maybe not so much. Maybe now I can read a good build and piece it all together in my head without diving it, but I still doubt it.

And I'd rather learn by winning a pointless easy 20 minute game of Co-op Vs Ai then lose it for 4 other people in an hour long vs match.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
FlightOfHeaven said:
Baron is like an endgame boss and requires at least 3 to take it down. A very risky boost to seek, as the other team could gank you in a weakened state.

Soloable late game, or doable with 2 AD heroes at the 30-35 minute mark if they have lifesteal. 100% need to ward baron at all times after the 25 minute mark against a competent team.

EviLore said:
Soloable late game, or doable with 2 AD heroes at the 30-35 minute mark if they have lifesteal. 100% need to ward baron at all times after the 25 minute mark against a competent team.

True, but I don't think that's applicable at his level. Thanks for pointing that out, though.

Also, the champs that can solo that are limited, right? I can only think of Jax, Yi, and Xin Zhao as capable. Surely there are others.

red13th

FallingEdge said:
I had forgotten how much fun Soraka is. I love dealing out 700+ heals during late game.

I hate going against Soraka (so much RAGE) and I love having one on my team.
Nidalee's heal makes me rage even harder though. I'm looking forward to the heal nerfs.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EviLore said:
Only a few people can solo baron even late game IMO. To add to the list, I have seen Tryndamere do it quiet a few times.

Ranked can be annoying. Loose a bunch of games in a row, -50 elo each. Win a game, +20. Maybe it was due to the enemy team having one rage quitter, and a leaver, and surrneded right at 20 though. We completely screwed up a Fiddle Stick's Jungle, didn't start at blue so we just warded it and left, bottom went there when he went to get it, killed him with no problem, he later died to the golems by his own doing, and when he came to top, we were floored he was only level 1 still. Got bursted down so fast. He got a few levels, we kept blue buff warded, Xin went their and killed him again when he tried to get it, and just raged quit.

Gangplank just went AFK after that, likely gave up with the leaver on his team and our team just mopping the floor with them. The enemy tried to say Yi was also AFK, but he was properly leveled, itemed, and fighting us, so I just ignored that.

Pjodor

Neo Member
FlightOfHeaven said:
True, but I don't think that's applicable at his level. Thanks for pointing that out, though.

Also, the champs that can solo that are limited, right? I can only think of Jax, Yi, and Xin Zhao as capable. Surely there are others.
Warwick should be able to solo baron also, and probobly tryndamare

shintoki said:
You keep saying this, but there have been many players who have proven to be able to carry themselves out of "Elo Hell". Someone did it entirely by playing Jungle Shaco and last time I checked, was at 1700 Elo, who started at 900.

Reality is that if what you said is true, where it is the luck of the draw and continually your team's fault carrying you down. Wouldn't the opposing team actually have a greater chance of getting a feeder, troll, afk, etc. You have 4 chances to get one, they have 5 chances.

Soloing out of ELO Hell is entirely based on luck. The greater majority of players are terrible, they have 5 chances to get a shit team comp but on the other hand, there are fair amount of good players trapped in ELO Hell it makes that chance 50/50 or less.

As a matter of fact, the ELO system is specifically designed to make sure you don't get a win streak. It eventually wants you to lose; because then you spend more time climbing up.

That's why it's Hell, it's never ending.

In the lower ranks it's hell, in the higher ranks it's a grind. Probably because the game becomes enjoyable after getting out of ELO Hell. That shouldn't be the case. It should just be enjoyable; period. This is the reason DOTA 2 will have more than 1 gameplay mode. Because Valve knows that they don't want the majority of players stuck in sour land with a bunch of idiots who skipped the tutorial. With more game modes, the bad players will be less concentrated.

In the Starcraft 2 System there were placement matches and brackets and all that stuff. Something like that will also fix this problem.

I love this game but the ELO system can just be damn right retarded for those of us who have fallen victim to a wheel of fortune matchmaker.

That should not be the case.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Achtius said:
Any tips on Morgana, I like using her but I miss 50% of the time with her skillshot ;O
Get some skill!

Edit: People in Co-Op Vs AI need to lighten up. I joke how someone looks like they are going to do Jungle Soraka, and they get super offended.

Kozak

Banned
CrazedProfessional said:
Soloing out of ELO Hell is entirely based on luck.

Gonna have to agree with this to some extent.

Climbing out of 800 ELO I did hit my fair amount of team mates who would manage to go 14-0 with Leblanc and such...

Now after being dragged down from 1250+ to 1000 it feels like there is no escape :\

But I guess dragging myself out of ELO hell to some extent I do believe it is possible.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Drkirby said:
Only a few people can solo baron even late game IMO. To add to the list, I have seen Tryndamere do it quiet a few times.

Just tested with AD Soraka, and soloed baron with her. 2 phantom dancers, 3 bloodthirsters, madred's bloodrazor. No spells required.

:D

Uchip

Banned
EviLore said:
Just tested with AD Soraka, and soloed baron with her. 2 phantom dancers, 3 bloodthirsters, madred's bloodrazor. No spells required.

our AD annie went 7-1 laning with my 20% crit chance blitz
then my internet died :(

Blizzard

Banned
EviLore said:

...*tries to add you to LoL friends list*

The game seems fun though. Someone should have told me it was fun! Of course now I have to do a ton of reading to figure out the AD stuff, and what masteries and runes and spells I'm supposed to pick (I just go with heal and exhaust so far), and what dancers and bloodthirsters and bloodrazors are.

2th

Banned
EviLore said:

You had probably 400 AD, 2.0 attack speed, about 50% lifesteal, and the madreds doing 4% of his max health per hit. ANYONE can do baron when they have those items. I mean that is something like 14000 golds worth of items.

Note: all numbers are estimates from memory since I'm sitting in Costco getting new tires and am not looking up all the items and soraka's stats on my phone.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Its slightly annoying to finish a game and see "First win of the day bonus available in 00:30"

2th said:
You had probably 400 AD, 2.0 attack speed, about 50% lifesteal, and the madreds doing 4% of his max health per hit. ANYONE can do baron when they have those items. I mean that is something like 14000 golds worth of items.

Note: all numbers are estimates from memory since I'm sitting in Costco getting new tires and am not looking up all the items and soraka's stats on my phone.
Madred's bloodrazor cap at 100 damage for monsters solely because of Baron.

2th said:

That's the joke.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom