• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Am I the only one that enjoyed the beta UI much more than current? I feel like the beta one had lots of style, while the current feels really bland."

I hope so. That shit was terrible to actually play with. Takes up waaaay too much real estate.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't usually complain about my teammates, but Jesus Christ is everyone terrible with the free champions this week.

Blizzard

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
I don't usually complain about my teammates, but Jesus Christ is everyone terrible with the free champions this week.
Ditto, I was awful with Rumble, and then did seemingly competently with Malphite but we always got stomped. I don't know if it's my fault or not.

I don't know anything about the weird bird thing (which shall henceforth be known as Articuno), but it did excel at prolonging our defense by crushing super minions with its blizzard attack. Even as malphite with smite super minions take forever to die.

I have started learning to activate the damage/armor boost BEFORE entering battles (lol), but I think one of my biggest problems is the default selection of items. I don't know that there is a single AP-boosting recommended item. I will look into thornmail, thanks. One later-game Yi I faced could NOT be slowed by the Q move, so I'm assuming he got some item to grant that.

A good tank gets few, if any, kills, some deaths, and tons of assists.

Malphite is particularly fun and easy to play.

Blizzard said:
I don't know anything about the weird bird thing (which shall henceforth be known as Articuno)

Anivia
Blizzard said:
I have started learning to activate the damage/armor boost BEFORE entering battles (lol), but I think one of my biggest problems is the default selection of items. I don't know that there is a single AP-boosting recommended item. I will look into thornmail, thanks. One later-game Yi I faced could NOT be slowed by the Q move, so I'm assuming he got some item to grant that.

That's his ult. You can still steal speed from him, you just can't slow him down. He can be stunned, snared, and knocked up, but he can't be slowed.

siddhu33

TF is on free week.......
Great.
Isn't he top on the tier lists? If so, i haven't a chance of picking him before some other idiot, who wont know how to play him...
:(

Do lifesteal apply to the magic damage done from items such as bloodrazor, wits, sword of divine, etc.? does the magic damage (on hit) from teemo's toxic shot apply to lifesteal?

Future

siddhu33 said:
TF is on free week.......
Great.
Isn't he top on the tier lists? If so, i haven't a chance of picking him before some other idiot, who wont know how to play him...
:(
Dude is hard to play. I wouldn't count on tons of people playing him

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Oh Nasus <3.

Had a heavy tank/melee game. Our Alistar and Blitz are feeding a Panth and Xin. God knows why, the the entire team were bloody idiots. Lets go chase Ashe through their forest. Wander off alone. And ignore wards.

Anyways, nothing is going to stop the Giant Sand Dog of Doom.

Ladyboy101 said:
Do lifesteal apply to the magic damage done from items such as bloodrazor, wits, sword of divine, etc.? does the magic damage (on hit) from teemo's toxic shot apply to lifesteal?

Nope. Spellvamp would, though.

Blizzard

Banned
Future said:
Dude is hard to play. I wouldn't count on tons of people playing him
In my vast experience of some 5 days of gameplay, I -might- have seen one or two competent twisted fates. With most of them I might get hit by a card occasionally and that's it.

Mordekaiser, Ashe, and Rumble in the hands of someone who does the combo stuff (not me) seem to work really well.

EXGN

Blizzard said:
Are they going to split the US server considering it's been semi-broken for days? :p *edit* Double too slow!

I lost 3 straight Malphite games trying EU. He -seems- reasonable/fun, and 2/3 of the games I reached 18. Every game I was at the top or near the top level for my team, but not top kills. Does anyone have advice/items for him? The recommended items mostly seem to improve his health/armor, but I run out of mana a lot for the first half of the game, and the last half (possibly due to good opposing teams) I take crushing damage, typically from mordekaiser and yi.

Malphite is a great conditional tank. He's really strong against physical damage heavy teams (Yi, Ashe, Tryn, Vayne) because his E gets more powerful the more armor he has.

I don't know what his recommended items are, but they are generally inaccurate. You should probably look for featured/approved guides over at SoloMid or highly ranked ones at LeagueCraft for a better idea of how to play him.

As for the mana, Malphite isn't a champion you want to be spamming skills on. Save them for team fights, don't blow them killing minions or repeatedly harassing enemies. That said, you should consider tanky items that give mana, like Frozen Heart or Banshees Veil if you're having mana issues.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for all the advice and links. :) I look forward to potentially getting a win at last, tonight, especially if the US server actually lets me play with my higher level account.

Ultimoo said:
I miss heart of gold stacking on malphite. :(
You know what I miss?

bIcT4.jpg

2th

Banned
Ultimoo said:
I miss heart of gold stacking on malphite. :(

back when it was health and armor was so broken lol

Drkirby said:
Yes, how I do miss crappy jpeg compression.

I wasn't around when you could stack Sunfire Capes

garennnn.png

the only people who could do shit against this was ww, udyr, olaf, shaco, kogmaw. get a bloodrazor on them and laugh as the tanks melt. it was funny. that or get a mage wth 600+ ap. and kite the hell out of them.

Pjodor

Neo Member
undu said:
Malphite's objects depend heavily on the chars of opponent team, making you build Magic Resistance or Armour, stacking life also helps a lot with it's passive.

Here's a good guide: http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=1251
I use that guide and it works well for me, and Malphite is fun to play. I also had the chanse now to play Maokai and he is also really fun, tried him in three games now and won all of them. He is not that hard to play and have a great harrass with the saplings long range :D

2th

Banned
Ultimoo said:
oh god, please do not run ignite on malphite for the love of god. run flash at least.

you dont really need flash on malphite. the only use it will have is escaping and he is a bloody tank so escaping isnt really a priority. I mean his ult is one of the best initiators in the game. and ignite isnt a bad spell for a tank since it helps do damage and reduces incoming healing.

Neki

2th said:
you dont really need flash on malphite. the only use it will have is escaping and he is a bloody tank so escaping isnt really a priority. I mean his ult is one of the best initiators in the game. and ignite isnt a bad spell for a tank since it helps do damage and reduces incoming healing.
flash makes your initiation range huge. your job in a team fight is to ult the carry and rape him, flash helps with that. you don't need ignite.

Boken

Banned
Ultimoo said:
flash makes your initiation range huge. your job in a team fight is to ult the carry and rape him, flash helps with that. you don't need ignite.
Tank chases carry, carry's team kills tank's team, carry is still alive. Wut.
Neki's gonna Neki I guess.

I don't like ignite on tanks anyway. Exhaust yo.

Drkirby said:
Yes, how I do miss crappy jpeg compression.

I wasn't around when you could stack Sunfire Capes
Beautiful stories of 3+ sunfire Eve staying stealthed walking next to enemies and their health mysteriously melting away.

And my picture was perfect, it just melted in the heat of a dozen sunfires.

Neki

Boken said:

if you lose when you've disabled the carry, then I'm not sure how you'd win with the carry actually in the fight :p

Boken said:

What? No. I think he means that you ult the carry and your team (with you) then rapes the carry, after which your team kills everyone else on the enemy's team.

that's one thing I like about Leona. While most tanks have to flash to get a good position to distract the carry, Leona has other options. Her sword teleports to the last champ hit. Most carries hide in the back using the team as a meat shield. Your E Sword goes right through them all and hits the carry last. Or you can just use your ult on the carry then walk up and E->Q

Boken

Banned
You've disabled the carry sure, but you won't kill them. Meanwhile they can kill your allies because you're busy chasing the carry and not protecting them!

"if you lose when you've disabled the carry, then I'm not sure how you'd win with the carry actually in the fight :p"
You win because your carry is better than their carry. By not chasing after the enemy carry you can protect your own carry instead.

I'm not saying never ult the carry, it's just not a rule tanks should stick to. Tanks are NOT anti-carries. They're tanks, eg. if it's ult the enemy carry alone vs ult the two melee going for your carry, you should always go for the two melee.

@owl: "What? No. I think he means that you ult the carry and your team (with you) then rapes the carry, after which your team kills everyone else on the enemy's team."
yes that sounds good on paper. But you make it sound as if the carry is standing completely out of position. Suddenly ulting the carry in a gank might be good but in a head on team fight, a good carry is in a good position and that is far behind the tank and the melee if the big ticket skills (malph's ult) haven't been used yet. Now if you have a few anti-carries/assassins on your team then ulting the carry to insta-gib might be ok. But otherwise, your team has to go through their tanks/melee first which then leaves your own carry exposed and increases the damage your team took.

2th

Banned
Ultimoo said:

meh... malphites ult range is already pretty large and being an AOE knockup it is fantastic. if you are flashing in to get close and ulting then you are already doing it wrong.

and ignite is damage. exhaust is damage reduction... flash is for escaping or initiating for people like annie to drop stun tibbers.

Neki

2th said:
meh... malphites ult range is already pretty large and being an AOE knockup it is fantastic. if you are flashing in to get close and ulting then you are already doing it wrong.

and ignite is damage. exhaust is damage reduction... flash is for escaping or initiating for people like annie to drop stun tibbers.

flash basically lets you stay out of sight and initiate. you flash over a well or out of bushes and you get the jump on them. the range on his ult is good, but having flash to make it extended or to make it less predictable is even better.

Blizzard

Banned
All I wanted was to not suck with malphite, and look at the argument I've started. *cries in corner*

I ran smite and exhaust, but I'm tempted to try ignite since I kept nearly killing people who would then suddenly get tons of insurmountable healing

Neki

Blizzard said:
All I wanted was to not suck with malphite, and look at the argument I've started. *cries in corner*

I ran smite and exhaust, but I'm tempted to try ignite since I kept nearly killing people who would then suddenly get tons of insurmountable healing

or run flash/ignite and everyone is happy. :p

Boken

Banned
Or run ghost/exhaust like a real tank.

EDIT: Flash is only good on squishies, instant initiation (annie, ww, malz ult) and positioning dependant champions. Tank examples of those - Amumu (who doesn't even take flash that often) and Galio (position dependant + instant cc) and Rammus (flash over minions, instant taunts). Malphite isn't positioning dependant - you can aim his ultimate nor is he an instant initiator since he has to travel to the location. Unless you want to flash to position his E perfectly...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Flash is best. It's just too useful not to have.

Even if you don't want it, the fact that other people might have flash should be reason enough for you to get it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Boken said:

EDIT: Flash is only good on squishies, instant initiation (annie, ww, malz ult) and positioning dependant champions. Tank examples of those - Amumu (who doesn't even take flash that often) and Galio (position dependant + instant cc) and Rammus (flash over minions, instant taunts). Malphite isn't positioning dependant - you can aim his ultimate nor is he an instant initiator since he has to travel to the location. Unless you want to flash to position his E perfectly...
The benefits for Flash over Ghost seem pretty apparent to me. The instant distance in the jump it gives you can be huge for getting away, and Flash gives you loads more options to get away/pursue through walls.

Even if Flash doesn't benefit Malphite's Ult very much, and I agree, he definitely shouldn't be Flashing into the Ult because it's a waste most of the time, it is still one of the most versatile spells in the game, even for a tank.

Ghost/Exhaust seems somewhat redundant to me. Exhaust is just the better spell and works in almost every combat situation. Ghost would only really be useful if you had to be somewhere as fast as possible, but if that's what you want you should probably just take Teleport.

2th

Banned
Ultimoo said:
flash basically lets you stay out of sight and initiate. you flash over a well or out of bushes and you get the jump on them. the range on his ult is good, but having flash to make it extended or to make it less predictable is even better.

yeah at your elo maybe. but having been playing the game since mid 2009 and having seen every incarnation of every champion so far really. flash isnt worth it. ability to flash in on a 5 minute CD is worthless. get ignite. make them panic. do some damage. laugh as they cant get healed. oh and get a kill as you laugh cause you are malphite and a tank.

Boken said:

pretty much this. though i despise having flash on rammus because since rammus is one of my mains i feel that if you cant ge the position you want then you are bad period considering every single initiation should come from powerball and since it makes you so far you dont need flash to maneuver properly if you have a brain.

Boken said:
You've disabled the carry sure, but you won't kill them. Meanwhile they can kill your allies because you're busy chasing the carry and not protecting them!

"if you lose when you've disabled the carry, then I'm not sure how you'd win with the carry actually in the fight :p"
You win because your carry is better than their carry. By not chasing after the enemy carry you can protect your own carry instead.

I'm not saying never ult the carry, it's just not a rule tanks should stick to. Tanks are NOT anti-carries. They're tanks, eg. if it's ult the enemy carry alone vs ult the two melee going for your carry, you should always go for the two melee.

@owl: "What? No. I think he means that you ult the carry and your team (with you) then rapes the carry, after which your team kills everyone else on the enemy's team."
yes that sounds good on paper. But you make it sound as if the carry is standing completely out of position. Suddenly ulting the carry in a gank might be good but in a head on team fight, a good carry is in a good position and that is far behind the tank and the melee if the big ticket skills (malph's ult) haven't been used yet. Now if you have a few anti-carries/assassins on your team then ulting the carry to insta-gib might be ok. But otherwise, your team has to go through their tanks/melee first which then leaves your own carry exposed and increases the damage your team took.
I agree with what you said. I mostly play idiots who do have carries easy to init on while at the same time occupying the rest of the team and keeping our own carries safe.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Rank has been pretty harsh to me recently. Last few days, I've basically lost every match I've played a support in, but won everyone I played a carry in. Lost one of my games as Ashe, but won both with Nasus, one with Leona, one with Avi, and one with Xin. Lux, last 4 games in a row. All having to babysit a range AD carry on the bottom.

Last one was particularly brutal, but I shouldn't have got my hopes up when Ashe refuses to going back till she has enough gold for her BF. And then decided to go face check the corner bush. While saying good job to the Vayne where you even saw her invis action going. Completed by having two bars of health and forcing me to babysit her. Goddamn, fuck this carry babysitting shit.

What is the Gaf channel anyways. I want to try and get some games with yall finally. Got to see how the two high ranks with us play their carries. Time for me to carry myself >_<

Neki

yeah at your elo maybe. but having been playing the game since mid 2009 and having seen every incarnation of every champion so far really. flash isnt worth it. ability to flash in on a 5 minute CD is worthless. get ignite. make them panic. do some damage. laugh as they cant get healed. oh and get a kill as you laugh cause you are malphite and a tank.
my elo? what's your elo again? and you realize that besides support, EVERYONE runs flash. even support runs flash sometimes too, run Clairvoyance + Flash on support and you're set for the whole game. pretty sure people were running that in the Season 1 finals of League.

pretty much this. though i despise having flash on rammus because since rammus is one of my mains i feel that if you cant ge the position you want then you are bad period considering every single initiation should come from powerball and since it makes you so far you dont need flash to maneuver properly if you have a brain.
holy shit now I know you're just trolling me, my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom