• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
slayzz said:
gotta agree with Jazzy Network, you don't see nunu much once you get to lvl30. When I do see them, most of them are feeders.

Indeed, and so am I. But after watching Dan Dinh* play him on high ELO matches, you'll see he's actually viable. The trick is hybrid tank nunu, not just full on AP nunu.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How do you play Ezreal effectively? Ap is definitely not the way to go, he looks like he'd be more suited to DPS.

Inskipp

Blackface said:
How do you go about getting runes? Do you have to buy them with IP? If so, do you suggest I save up for the Champion I want before buying some runes?
Don't bother with runes until you are level 20, which is when you get access to level 3- runes. Lower- level runes are not worth it imo (sans a few special- event runes, but those are rare and currently none are on sale.)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I like to play amumu but everyone complains about me every single game. Thing is i have almost 300 games under my belt so you would think my elo is accurate enough to make me go at least 50/50 win loss. Funny thing is i actually have a positive win loss record (170-130). I guess amumu's amazing tanking and team fighting more then makes up for a stupid death here and there, problem is the team only remembers about the stupid death and poor k/d ratio.

A level one rune book is *totally* worth it. 60% the power for 5% the price? It is totally worth the cost of delaying one or two tier 3 runes to fill a book of tier 1s.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
<Tre`> League of Shaco

^

Sums up my half dozen consecutive losses with Tekno on TT just now.

VaLiancY

y2dvd said:
Is free Cho still available? How do I get it?

http://www.alienwarearena.com/news/119/league-of-legends-nightmare-cho-39-gath-giveaway/

DarkAngelYuna said:
I'm still new but this chogath guy I've been playing as for a few days seems pretty amazing.

I love Cho'gath. An awesome AoE silence and FEAST.

Most of the tanks in this game are very fun to play as. Rammus' Powerball, Shen's ult, Mordekaiser's superb defense and pushing ability(despite Riot thinks he's pretty bad).

hobart

Archie said:
I've spent the past four hours troubleshooting and trying to figure out why this fucking game won't launch. I get stuck at this screen and can't get past it. I've tried redownloading the game (three times) and messing around with my firewall and router.

Is it just giving you the circles as if it were thinking/loading? Or does it eventually say: Unavailable... or Busy?

Just wondering if most people play 3s or 5s? I've been focusing on 3s since I got the game and I'm just wanting to make sure I don't need to make a switch to 5s asap.

eznark

Banned
I think I have only ever played a 3v3 once, but that's just because I played so much of the beta and the 3v wasn't available and I just never really gave it a show once they rolled it out.

dmshaposv

So how does this game stack up to Heroes of Newerth (graphical differences aside)?

HoN is basically DotA with slicker graphics, is this the same thing?

"HoN is basically DotA with slicker graphics, is this the same thing?"

Yes and no. A lot of the base mechanics and strategies are (somewhat) similar but there are quite a few major differences. The summoner system for one which gives a bit of persistency, you have a page of runes that you can customize outside of the game for increased health, ability power, damage, regen, blah blah. Also, you have a "mastery" tree which is basically like an MMO Talent tree for further customization and you can select 2 additional spells to bring into the game that do things like blink, heal, increase move speed, etc. Spell power can be increased by items so casters scale at all phases of the game. Runes don't spawn in the river but instead are on neutral creeps. There's brush which conceals players inside it. None of the champions are direct ports from DotA (to my knowledge) but a lot of the skills from dota do exist in some form. There's no denying. Tower AI is very different, *only* targets nearby creeps unless you attack an enemy player near one then it automatically targets you. I think that covers all the noticeable changes.

Leezard's link probably gives a more in-depth answer.

JoeFu

Banned
I think the only gaffers I've played with are Jazzy and Cheeto, I need to play with more of you guys! When do you guys generally play?

Also add me if you haven't yet: JoeFu

caromelo

Tip: When you're on a multiple game winning streak, don't get cocky and play one more game to try to get another win. Unless you're superman, most likely you will feel the effects of LoL fatigue and play really sloppily and end up losing quite miserably, ending your run on a sour note.

eznark

Banned
JoeFu said:
I think the only gaffers I've played with are Jazzy and Cheeto, I need to play with more of you guys! When do you guys generally play?

Also add me if you haven't yet: JoeFu

Will add. Man, last night we almost had enough to do GAF v GAF. Is it even possible to set that up a this point?

JoeFu

Banned
I'm pretty sure I'm your friend already Eznark! Just haven't played together yet. And I think the only way to have a 5v5 premade is a practice match.

Tetsuo9

DarkAngelYuna said:
Just wondering if most people play 3s or 5s? I've been focusing on 3s since I got the game and I'm just wanting to make sure I don't need to make a switch to 5s asap.
I think 3s is harder than 5s, if you make a little mistake it has more severe consecuences for the team fight.

My LoL name is Tribalsoul. Been playing since beta. I only play tanks or melee dps, with Singed being my main pick atm. Normally I only solo queue, but I wouldn't mind playing with some GAFers. I only do 5v5. Got mic & vent, but I don't think it's necessary for good teamplay.

Only level 5 since I did a lot of practice games over the past 2 weeks but I'm pushing normal games now.. Never had a game over 45 minutes until just now.. hit the 2 hour mark with the entire other team in our base for like 90 minutes just getting pushed out rofl.. my ass hurts =\

DarkAngelYuna said:
Only level 5 since I did a lot of practice games over the past 2 weeks but I'm pushing normal games now.. Never had a game over 45 minutes until just now.. hit the 2 hour mark with the entire other team in our base for like 90 minutes just getting pushed out rofl.. my ass hurts =\

That's the longest game I've ever heard of by like 40 minutes.

caromelo

DarkAngelYuna said:
Please tell me you won that marathon-length game. Around 40 minutes is approaching end game, so what does 2 hours make?

caromelo said:
Please tell me you won that marathon-length game. Around 40 minutes is approaching end game, so what does 2 hours make?
Hah, we lost and its like the first time I've had a game break 50 minutes or so. It was fun as hell running around as chogath with 5 stacks of feast though. Btw, this was 5v5.

KePoW

Banned
Tetsuo9 said:
I think 3s is harder than 5s, if you make a little mistake it has more severe consecuences for the team fight.

Exactly. For newbies, I would definitely recommend 5v5 because you have more teammates to help and carry you. 3v3 is a *lot* harder and places more emphasis on individual skill.

IMO this should be a team game, and 5v5 is a lot more fun anyway.

Blackface

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Practice games are disabled currently for some reason...
from what I was reading it's due to strain on the server, at least thats what a GM from Riot said on their forums.

Also, I am completely addicted to this game. Thanks Gaf.

JoeFu

Banned
I hate my friend for making me play it. I have played about 300 games, average of maybe 30 min a game most likely more... yeah.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
KePoW said:
Exactly. For newbies, I would definitely recommend 5v5 because you have more teammates to help and carry you. 3v3 is a *lot* harder and places more emphasis on individual skill.

IMO this should be a team game, and 5v5 is a lot more fun anyway.

I think 5v5 is easier personally, so far I'm undefeated in 3v3 (Twisted Treeline).

I know at my level I'm fighting all new players but is Cho'gath supposed to be easy to play or does he just fit me well? I'm going like 10 kills + and 1-2 deaths a match sometimes these 5v5s with him make me feel like I'm just soloing all the other players and turrets. He's so fun to aoe champions into the air - silence em - then feast 1 shots em :D

JoeFu

Banned
I think you're just clicking with him. I tried Cho a few times and sucked donkey balls. Only tank character I like using is Rammus.

IceIpor

I'm definitely enjoying LoL more than HoN at the moment.

At first it was the reverse because of LoL's clunky interface (ingame and launcher) and less variety in moves/skillsets but now they have sort of evened out.

Now LoL's persistent stats/masteries/runes and more consistent updates makes it more appealing than HoN.

...Also a lot less bickering and more positive attitudes overall make it a much friendlier experience.

Shrennin

IceIpor said:
...Also a lot less bickering and more positive attitudes overall make it a much friendlier experience.

From what I've heard about HoN's community has made me absolutely frightened to even try it. LoL's community used to be the worst community that I have ever been in (now I'm not so sure because I've only encountered one or two people who made games a pain to play because of their complaining, whining, etc. since season 1).

IceIpor

Shrinnan said:
From what I've heard about HoN's community has made me absolutely frightened to even try it. LoL's community used to be the worst community that I have ever been in (now I'm not so sure because I've only encountered one or two people who made games a pain to play because of their complaining, whining, etc. since season 1).

Well... one really bad thing about HoN is that there is also voice chat built into it.

Yes, you can mute them, but it's still rather annoying having some random guy whine and complain all game and having to hear his unappealing voice at the same time.

Not so with LoL! (Yet...)

Shrennin

IceIpor said:
Well... one really bad thing about HoN is that there is also voice chat built into it.

Yes, you can mute them, but it's still rather annoying having some random guy whine and complain all game and having to hear his unappealing voice at the same time.

I think Riot has really cracked down on the community because it really doesn't seem that bad now. Before season 1, however, uh...

I still hope that there isn't any built in voice chat though, that seems like a really bad idea.

The one feature I can't wait for is the replay feature. If Riot just works on that then I'll be happy.

Also, are they removing Flash? Not that I am against its removal necessarily, but I've heard how it's going to be removed and yet it still stays. I've been trying not to use it in case it gets removed but if it stays then it would really go well with Fiddle.

IceIpor said:

I can't wait for voice, its the one thing that seems really lacking atm.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I still haven't been able to get the game to work. :/ I've messed around port forwarding, disabling my firewall, and redownloading the game about five times. What's funny is that my old shitty Dell was able to play the game just fine.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So, I have enough points to buy a hero. Question, is AP any good now? I don't think I've pulled of a single AP build yet except with Morgana. I'd like to buy Veigar, who was my favorite back in beta and he's pretty much pure AP stacking.

Edit: Weird, he was only 600-ish yesterday. Do the prices change daily?

IceIpor

With HoN, S2 tried to build the game around the hardcore DotA fanbase.

The problem with that strategy is that the hardcore becomes very niche the more you listen to them. You start to build complex mechanics and stratagems at the expense of viable alternatives and accessibility.

They might have started trying to build a game for everyone, but it seems like now it's becoming a game for just the hardcore few that argues over every little detail.

Anyhow, I doubt they'll remove Flash. Seems too much like a unique useful move to just pull it.

Maybe they'll put some kind of limiter or something on Flash though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom