• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started out on this game and after playing the tutorial played a few games against the AI as Twisted Fate. Didn't realise how in depth this game got with all of the different build etc, any champions worth saving my IP for at the moment? (got around 850 so far)

Blizzard

Banned
TenaciousNorth said:
Just started out on this game and after playing the tutorial played a few games against the AI as Twisted Fate. Didn't realise how in depth this game got with all of the different build etc, any champions worth saving my IP for at the moment? (got around 850 so far)
I tried one because of what I'd read (Shaco) but it turns out he's not super good. *shrug* It seems like the most reliable thing is to try a few of the free champions each week, maybe all of them if you have time, and once you find one you really like, buy that one at the end of the week if you have enough IP.

TenaciousNorth said:

Try out all the free ones. Tiers are hard to pin down in this game because it's a team game, and the viability of a champion really depends on your team composition. However, there are champions that do pretty well in all teams.

Akali
Alistar
Amumu
Annie
Ashe
Caitlyn
Corki
Dr. Mundo
Irelia
Janna
Jarvan IV
Jax
Karthus
Katarina
Malphite
Malzahar
Master Yi
Mordekaiser
Rammus
Rumble
Shen
Sona
Soraka
Swain
Twisted Fate
Udyr
Vayne
Vladimir
Warwick
Xin Zhao

That's my opinion, though. I left out some of the more difficult to play characters. I'm not the best player here, so you'll find disagreements with my picks for sure.

My advice to you is to find someone that suits your playstyle. Annie is an amazing caster but I am just garbage with her. I like Lux a lot, though, even though she's not supposed to be that good. Almost no one plays Cassiopeia but she can be a very scary adversary. It's really about who you mesh with.

---

Blizzard said:
I tried one because of what I'd read (Shaco) but it turns out he's not super good. *shrug* It seems like the most reliable thing is to try a few of the free champions each week, maybe all of them if you have time, and once you find one you really like, buy that one at the end of the week if you have enough IP.

Yeah, I'm never really afraid of Shaco whenever I see him on the enemy team. He can be dangerous, but it's exceedingly rare that he is. He's very team dependent.

Neki

Can anyone tell me why I can't use global hotkeys with Winamp when I'm playing League? It's really annoying, I can't change or pause music in game at all without alt tabbing.

Neki

Archie said:
It's a sign you should upgrade to foobar2000. :3
I don't even know what that is. Apparently they say it's an engineering problem, yet every other fullscreen game I play works fine.

riot is gonna riot. they can't give me awesome skins or music. :(

FlightOfHeaven said:
Try out all the free ones. Tiers are hard to pin down in this game because it's a team game, and the viability of a champion really depends on your team composition. However, there are champions that do pretty well in all teams.

Akali
Alistar
Amumu
Annie
Ashe
Caitlyn
Corki
Dr. Mundo
Irelia
Janna
Jarvan IV
Jax
Karthus
Katarina
Malphite
Malzahar
Master Yi
Mordekaiser
Rammus
Rumble
Shen
Sona
Soraka
Swain
Twisted Fate
Udyr
Vayne
Vladimir
Warwick
Xin Zhao

That's my opinion, though. I left out some of the more difficult to play characters. I'm not the best player here, so you'll find disagreements with my picks for sure.

My advice to you is to find someone that suits your playstyle. Annie is an amazing caster but I am just garbage with her. I like Lux a lot, though, even though she's not supposed to be that good. Almost no one plays Cassiopeia but she can be a very scary adversary. It's really about who you mesh with.

---

Yeah, I'm never really afraid of Shaco whenever I see him on the enemy team. He can be dangerous, but it's exceedingly rare that he is. He's very team dependent.

Ok I guess I will try out the free ones and take a look at ones from your list. My biggest problem with games is I always feel like I have to have the best character so end up spending more time looking at guides for items and builds than I do actually playing the game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Retro_ said:
The passive isn't unique. So it stacks

So if you want to just troll and get over 1000 AP in an hour long game that's what you build

Lol

I can't wait to get to the level where people realize Xin is a tanky DPS and not a ranged carry

and build him accordingly

also I've never seen people build atmas or FoN on ashe. Does it work?

I usually just build banshees for the shield on ranged carries
Atmas, no. It was a poor idea that I did at the last second. Force of Nature works decently though, since it helps chase down people. Even though you have a slow, you can't slow someone if you can't initially catch them. I am just a big stickler for movement speed. I think it would of been a better idea to both have a Force of Nature and a Banshees vail.

I should of gotten something that just gave more HP instead of the Atmas.

Really caught me off guard when a Kog'maw rushed a Hexdrinker. Two people got killed trying to finish him off not realizing the Hexdrinker gives a shield, since very few people get it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
FlightOfHeaven said:
A good Shaco is actually very little dependent on the team. A good one will have his first gank by 3 minutes. He'll either kill, steal, or disrupt their jungle, and cause snowball on a lane or two. As long as your team isn't complete fail, he'll can win a game for them by 10 minutes in. Outside of Nunu, he probably is the best early jungle, but that is also where his fault comes in too. Not many players are good enough to end it quickly.

He has been nerfed a bit though, so you may not be able to carry yourself as high again. But one of the big "Elo is luck vs skill". A player dropped himself down to 900 as a Shaco, and got up to the 1700s. All solo queue and jungle Shaco only. So don't let it deter you either from playing certain characters. A lot of that meta-game is for higher level play. If you can kick ass with a Lux. Then be the Lux!

Figure i should post here as I am an avid LoL player. Just recently hit level 30 as well. Is there an offical gaf chat room in LoL itself that I should be aware of?

oh and my lol name

Phoenixazure - phoenixazure

Phoenixazure said:
Figure i should post here as I am an avid LoL player. Just recently hit level 30 as well. Is there an offical gaf chat room in LoL itself that I should be aware of?

oh and my lol name

Search NeoGAF under the chatrooms thingy.

Pjodor

Neo Member
Phoenixazure said:

oh and my lol name

I think the chat room is NeoGaf on the NA server on the EU servers I don't know.

TenaciousNorth said:

From the champions that cost 450 ip I think that Ashe for ranged AD, Nunu for Jungle and Soraka for Support are good choises. They have proven to be good in alot of turnaments, specially Ashe is a highly picked champion. If you want to unlock an champion right now with the ip you got. Or if you want to save up to 1350 ip you got alot of good champions to choose from.

Definitely feel like I am doing something wrong with this game, so far I have just stuck to games with bots and played around with Ashe. Looked at guides to see what is suggested for her and they recommend items which cost around 3k to buy and I feel like I have never achieved that amount of money. Every other player seems to be going around doing a good amount of damage yet if I come across an enemy champion I feel like I am never able to kill it alone. Guides have also mentioned going in to the jungle but I have never seen another player do so and it seems to give very little gold.

Pjodor

Neo Member
TenaciousNorth said:
Definitely feel like I am doing something wrong with this game, so far I have just stuck to games with bots and played around with Ashe. Looked at guides to see what is suggested for her and they recommend items which cost around 3k to buy and I feel like I have never achieved that amount of money. Every other player seems to be going around doing a good amount of damage yet if I come across an enemy champion I feel like I am never able to kill it alone. Guides have also mentioned going in to the jungle but I have never seen another player do so and it seems to give very little gold.
The key is to last hit minions as mutch as possible. And use the slow and ult arrow in the right place so other champions don't come to close or get away.
Not really playing ranged ad carry myself though. I play most of the other types but ranged ad doesn't really feel right for me.

Neki

irelia gonna irelia:

k6Ugkl.jpg

JCR0vl.jpg

and drkirby gonna get hooked like he was on crack as fiddles.

EXGN

Pjodor said:
I think the chat room is NeoGaf on the NA server on the EU servers I don't know.

From the champions that cost 450 ip I think that Ashe for ranged AD, Nunu for Jungle and Soraka for Support are good choises. They have proven to be good in alot of turnaments, specially Ashe is a highly picked champion. If you want to unlock an champion right now with the ip you got. Or if you want to save up to 1350 ip you got alot of good champions to choose from.

This. My first recommendation is to pick up the characters you need to fill every role. Ashe is a great ranged AD, Annie is an amazing AP caster, Amumu is one of the best tanks in the game and Yi is a pretty good melee DPS. At your level, I wouldn't worry to much about support or jungle - these are kinda advanced roles - but it doesn't hurt to have one of each either.

Well I played my first pvp game as Ashe and managed a win, started to get the whole attack on last hit thing but I still can't manage to earn the amount of money needed for some of the items guides recommend. Also got to a point where there was one dude who would manage to pretty much kill me in one or two hits whenever I came across him.

TenaciousNorth said:
Well I played my first pvp game as Ashe and managed a win, started to get the whole attack on last hit thing but I still can't manage to earn the amount of money needed for some of the items guides recommend. Also got to a point where there was one dude who would manage to pretty much kill me in one or two hits whenever I came across him.

Welcome to bruisers.

The bane of your existence.

Blizzard

Banned
Ashe can do a lot of damage, but is very weak defensively. Other characters are strong defensively but can't do as much damage consistently. It's kind of how it balances out, I feel.

I know some people are really good with Ashe, but I finally tried her outside the tutorial and was TERRIBLE.

Well at least I have won every ai game and my one pvp game so far. Definitely loving this game was just overwhelmed by how many characters there are at first along with all of the stats. I'm sure I will learn over time, also love that you can play and not have to put any real money in if you just slowly unlock the characters you want.

Quick question about influence points, as I level do I start earning less or is the rate at which I earn them always the same?

TenaciousNorth said:
Well at least I have won every ai game and my one pvp game so far. Definitely loving this game was just overwhelmed by how many characters there are at first along with all of the stats. I'm sure I will learn over time, also love that you can play and not have to put any real money in if you just slowly unlock the characters you want.

Take your time, there are many different characters for different play styles. Keep playing and you will find yours.

Achtius

Terrible game, Mordekaiser was fed way too much. Even with crazy amount of AP and MP, my Q and mantra E didn't hurt him at all...wtf? He didn't even have Banshee's veil. I have no idea why he didn't get HURT at all. and it was 4v5 at the end :(

karma_3.png

drkOne

Quick question, what .exe am I supposed to pin to the Windows taskbar? I've pinned a bunch of them but none actually start the client...

TenaciousNorth said:
Ok I guess I will try out the free ones and take a look at ones from your list. My biggest problem with games is I always feel like I have to have the best character so end up spending more time looking at guides for items and builds than I do actually playing the game.

Don't do that. Like I said, there really is no "best character", but only who you really a) mesh with in terms of playstyle and b) fits your team composition well. I'm struggling to think of a character who is outright terrible at their role. Yorrick was the most recent example but he was buffed significantly so it doesn't count anymore.

shintoki said:
A good Shaco is actually very little dependent on the team. A good one will have his first gank by 3 minutes. He'll either kill, steal, or disrupt their jungle, and cause snowball on a lane or two. As long as your team isn't complete fail, he'll can win a game for them by 10 minutes in. Outside of Nunu, he probably is the best early jungle, but that is also where his fault comes in too. Not many players are good enough to end it quickly.
He has been nerfed a bit though, so you may not be able to carry yourself as high again. But one of the big "Elo is luck vs skill". A player dropped himself down to 900 as a Shaco, and got up to the 1700s. All solo queue and jungle Shaco only. So don't let it deter you either from playing certain characters. A lot of that meta-game is for higher level play. If you can kick ass with a Lux. Then be the Lux!

Agreed. And thanks for clarifying about Shaco; my observations come purely from playing against him.

2th

Banned
Jagxyz said:
Patch preview is out, Tryndamere change looks interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrSNXkBQ4K8

the removing of global teleports is so retarded honstely. only 3 people have them and one of them, shen's, is a piggyback so it doesnt matter. so removing the global component from the two that batter is just dumb i think. i mean now top lane wont have to worry about TF ganking from bot when he hits level 6, or Pantheon man dropping on top of them either. only mid lane will be an issue. so yay boring gameplay honestly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The annoying thing with Pantheon is that they don't seem to be doing any other changes then just make it no global. "Yeah, we just nerfed him for this patch, yeah he is under powered, no buffs, enjoy!"

red13th

Tried out Yorick on 5 normal matches, won 2 lost 3. The losses were mostly due to bad teawork except one time I did horrible and my friend and I fed the enemy Miss Fortune :(
He's a goddamn beast. His ult is ridiculous on the right person, actually except the one time I clicked Soraka instead of fed Mordekaiser, I think it was always a ridiculous damage boost.
Last game our Leona fed the enemy Akali who ended up getting 20 stacks of Mejai's, but we managed to win. Ulting Jax is absurd. Now that GP's getting nerfed I think I'll main Yorick for a while.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Drkirby said:
The annoying thing with Pantheon is that they don't seem to be doing any other changes then just make it no global. "Yeah, we just nerfed him for this patch, yeah he is under powered, no buffs, enjoy!"
Doesn't his ult have a lower channel time now though? Seems like a better trade off to be honest, and the global stuff has never seemed fair.

Achtius

Drkirby said:

they did say they are buffing him, a bit before the two minute mark

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yes, but they said it will be the following patch.

Anyone know if Twisted Fates Ult will still show all the enemies?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Drkirby said:
Yes, but they said it will be the following patch.

Anyone know if Twisted Fates Ult will still show all the enemies?
Only his teleport range is changed in the video, he still has complete map vision.

Blizzard

Banned
Had a decent game with malphite to end the evening, yay. Of course, it had to take an HOUR to finish. o.o

lol7g8d4.jpg

I think yi is my single most hated champion. At least ours was decent, killing some of their turrets or inhibitors when they were distracted. Even with 332 defense and thornmail, yi crushed me. =( I did go basically toe to toe with leona and win, but I'm not sure what her starting health and mana were...plus that player was apparently not too good aside from assists.

Achtius

Blizzard said:
Had a decent game with malphite to end the evening, yay. Of course, it had to take an HOUR to finish. o.o

[im g]http://www.abload.de/img/lol7g8d4.jpg[/img]

I think yi is my single most hated champion. At least ours was decent, killing some of their turrets or inhibitors when they were distracted. Even with 332 defense and thornmail, yi crushed me. =( I did go basically toe to toe with leona and win, but I'm not sure what her starting health and mana were...plus that player was apparently not too good aside from assists.

Sona or Yi? :p

You hate a lot of champions apparently XD

Blizzard

Banned
Achtius said:
Sona or Yi? :p

You hate a lot of champions apparently XD
Both. I've only fought Sona once, so she might be annoying, but it seems every other game has a yi and it's a crapshoot whether they're useless or going 31/4/whatever. =(

drkOne

Solo queue fun:

I was the last pick on my team (8th and 9th, overall) and they asked me to tank/jungle. Amumu and Nunu were banned, so I told them I'd do WW.
The other guy picking at the same time as me insta-locked WW, picked Flash and Ignite and didn't say a word. I ended up picking Akali…
Our Xin was also screaming that he wanted mid or top lane on the lobby.

Match starts, I notice WW picking a Doran's Shield and I told the team, "Hey, I doubt WW is gonna be jungling with Shield and Ignite…", proceed to go to bottom, and left them to figure out what they wanted to do by themselves.

They all started defending Blue, asking WW if he would start there, and he finally says something like "I no jungle".
They all pressured him to jungle and that they'd help him on Blue…
They start killing Blue, but no one moves away and keep auto-attacking. In the end the buff went to GP…

At this point I wrote in /all chat "This team is hilarious, I wish you guys could see this".
Of course, all of this just made jungling for WW even worse… So he ended up just staying top… With Xin and GP.
As it was 3v2 they were able to play really aggressive, kill the 2 enemies and that tower was down before the clock hit 4:30…

We ended up winning quite easily, due to early advantage, as most of our teamfights weren't really that bright on our part.
It seriously was the most hilarious match I've ever played in LoL… I have no clue how some of these guys get to 30 with such little awareness of everything going around in this game.

Blizzard said:
Both. I've only fought Sona once, so she might be annoying, but it seems every other game has a yi and it's a crapshoot whether they're useless or going 31/4/whatever. =(
By crapshoot you mean someone actually CC'ing and quickly finishing off Yi? :p
There are a couple of characters that do wonders when no one CCs them. I did 15-20 mostly with Katarina because no one would Stun/Silence my Ulti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom