• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nidalee having a heal gives her one less way to kill me. That is the only positive way I can look at it, since almost anything else would likely make her deadlier.

Just picked up Jarvan, I've been looking at some of the builds online but haven't really seen any thing great looking as of yet. Any build recommendations from GAFers.

Oh and:
garen.gif

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Email Riot support and ask for 75 RP, probably more than they'll give out, but they do give people RP if they're close.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't know ether. He seems really popular in early levels, but he doesn't show up very much later on. Maybe it is due to him being cheap and his ult allowing him to snowball to inexperienced players.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
People are terrible and don't deal with him so he snowballs, they think they can do the same so pick him.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dear lord, why did I buy HON? I feel like I should kind of know what's going on but the telegraphing on moves is so bad I literally have no idea what is going on, and the low field of vision drives me nuts. I am ready for the LoL severs to go back online. :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You can play on the European servers if you are really bored. Do the second tutorial, quickly stomp the bots in about 15 minutes, buy a 450 champ, have fun!

Dance In My Blood said:
Dear lord, why did I buy HON? I feel like I should kind of know what's going on but the telegraphing on moves is so bad I literally have no idea what is going on, and the low field of vision drives me nuts. I am ready for the LoL severs to go back online. :(

Fights in LoL go on for minutes while Hon's resolve in 20 seconds or less, and even that's a stretch. Some people like long fights, some people like short fights. HoN does not telegraph moves, everything kinda blows up, fast.

Man, so much bitching about LoL vs HoN. Gamers are so retarded some times. HoN does a lot of things better, but LoL's mechanics, art, and playstyle are preferable to some. Doesn't make it "babbiez first moba".

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ikuu said:
People are terrible and don't deal with him so he snowballs, they think they can do the same so pick him.
He is actually a pretty good character even later on. You'll be seeing a lot more of him I bet since TF got nerfed, now making him the clear best backdoor-er(Though I still always thought he was).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Had to repair my game after the patch, wasn't till 20 minutes in that I rejoin. As Kayle. At level 1. I have nevery played Kayle before ether.

We won!

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
Had to repair my game after the patch, wasn't till 20 minutes in that I rejoin. As Kayle. At level 1. I have nevery played Kayle before ether.

We won!
A free week without master yi is a good free week!

FlightOfHeaven said:
Man, so much bitching about LoL vs HoN. Gamers are so retarded some times. HoN does a lot of things better, but LoL's mechanics, art, and playstyle are preferable to some. Doesn't make it "babbiez first moba".

Saying this as a former HoN/current LoL player... Eh. It has some merit. I don't know if HoN is more "complex" then LoL, like in the sense of gameplay depth and whatnot, but it certainly requires tons more micro and mechanical dexterity. HoN/DoTA is also extremely less forgiving of overextending and mistakes than LoL is, by virtue of no summoner skills, which I think Riot regrets introducing now. There are just a lot of get of jail free cards in LoL.

On the other hand, S2 is pretty much staffed full of clueless people, both on the technical and business sides. As their primary competitor, Riot's business model and promotion efforts basically annihilated them (particularly in the last year and a half or so). I think there is a real concern that when DoTA2 comes out HoN is going to be the odd man out.

Macattk15

Interficium said:
Saying this as a former HoN/current LoL player... Eh. It has some merit. I don't know if HoN is more "complex" then LoL, like in the sense of gameplay depth and whatnot, but it certainly requires tons more micro and mechanical dexterity. HoN/DoTA is also extremely less forgiving of overextending and mistakes than LoL is, by virtue of no summoner skills, which I think Riot regrets introducing now. There are just a lot of get of jail free cards in LoL.

On the other hand, S2 is pretty much staffed full of clueless people, both on the technical and business sides. As their primary competitor, Riot's business model and promotion efforts basically annihilated them (particularly in the last year and a half or so). I think there is a real concern that when DoTA2 comes out HoN is going to be the odd man out.

HoN will most definitely be the odd man out .... it isn't free-to-play. Unless they make it so and better implemented their new in-game store ... then poof it goes.

I'm actually surprised they haven't tried swapping business models now ... make everyone who owns the game now own all the champions up to this day ... and then make people buy new ones while making the game free to play.

That said, I can't wait to see what DotA2 will be.

Herbspicesoy said:
Looking for decent to good LoL players to team up with.
I'm an active player since beta, can fill any role, add Tribalsoul.

Join the NeoGAF chatroom. You'll find us there!

Interficium said:

I actually agree, in large part because HoN, as far as I can tell, is largely a DotA rip. There's nothing wrong with that, by the way. LoL is what some of the designers of DotA would have done if they could have. LoL gets quite a few things wrong, but more things right. It's still a very incomplete game, though, which is why I'm glad its free. HoN is a more complete package.

I also agree that HoN is in trouble. They have 3 primary draws; they are DotA with better graphics and community features. Valve is going to do those three things and better.

Mothman91

Tried out Tryn before I went to work in a bot game. Am liking the new rage system that they implemented into him, and now he has a passive bonus of AD! Althought I bought the King Tryndamere skin last week, he has a new skin now.....DEMONBLADE TRYNDAMERE!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Most HoN players are Dota players. Those who started with HoN will probably move to Dota 2 because their friends are moving there.

S2 cannot adopt LoL's model because of this. No one will want to buy heroes with cash, it's just a completely alien concept for long-time Dota/HoN players. If they do go the F2P route, and start selling champions, they will take a massive hit to their game population (on top of what DotA 2 will inevitably do to them) and have to start all over again. Sadly, the way the game is structured is that it is very unforgiving for new players, and so if there is no cost associated with playing, there will be no reason for people to keep playing if they dislike the game/community. It will be a haven for smurfs who probably spend most of their time playing DotA 2. To accommodate new players who were lured by the promises of F2P, they would have to revamp the game so it doesn't scare them away.

Better idea just to shut it down altogether in that scenario.

Halycon said:
Most HoN players are Dota players. Those who started with HoN will probably move to Dota 2 because their friends are moving there.

S2 cannot adopt LoL's model because of this. No one will want to buy heroes with cash, it's just a completely alien concept for long-time Dota/HoN players. If they do go the F2P route, and start selling champions, they will take a massive hit to their game population (on top of what DotA 2 will inevitably do to them) and have to start all over again. Sadly, the way the game is structured is that it is very unforgiving for new players, and so if there is no cost associated with playing, there will be no reason for people to keep playing if they dislike the game/community. It will be a haven for smurfs who probably spend most of their time playing DotA 2. To accommodate new players who were lured by the promises of F2P, they would have to revamp the game so it doesn't scare them away.

Better idea just to shut it down altogether in that scenario.

HoN pros see the writing on the wall as well.

This patch is pretty big. From looking at the patch progress, it seems a lot of the splash art and other things are getting updated this time as well. I guess I'll find out once I'm in game.

red13th

Mothman91 said:
Tried out Tryn before I went to work in a bot game. Am liking the new rage system that they implemented into him, and now he has a passive bonus of AD! Althought I bought the King Tryndamere skin last week, he has a new skin now.....DEMONBLADE TRYNDAMERE!

It's AWESOME, I want it nao.
I like it so much I want to buy it and main Tryndamere :(

Achtius

Interficium said:
clarity/flash

doran's ring/boots/rod of ages/sorc shoes (or ionian boots)/rabadons. game should be over by then.

Played two ai games to check the mechanic, playing against real people now. Watch me get rape!

Cels

Interficium said:
clarity/flash

doran's ring/boots/rod of ages/sorc shoes (or ionian boots)/rabadons. game should be over by then.

clarity is for low level summoners where you don't have masteries/runes to sustain yourself acceptably.

once you get high enough you should bring some other skill instead. Normally CV on a support/AP champ like Orianna, but ignite/ghost/exhaust would all be better than clarity.

Dubbedinenglish said:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-T5E3clQ1lSY/TVVgfuUH_II/AAAAAAAAACE/jqVkPAELbD4/s1600/garen.gif

I know the original is from HnK but can someone post the video/gif? Trying to show my friend the source.

Jhriad

How many times is this now that they've tried to fix the store sort? Seriously, it's ungodly easy to write a sort function. It'd be annoying if it hadn't been such a laughable joke for so long.

Maybe in another 6 months when they try to address it yet again they'll get it right. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Cels said:
clarity is for low level summoners where you don't have masteries/runes to sustain yourself acceptably.

once you get high enough you should bring some other skill instead. Normally CV on a support/AP champ like Orianna, but ignite/ghost/exhaust would all be better than clarity.

I agree on CV, if you're in ranked.

I should have been a little more explanative on clarity. I use it so I can focus on a lot of early-game lane power with her runes (flat ap glyph and quints, flat armor seals, mpen marks, no mana regen) and so I don't have to spend money on something like a tear early game. Sometimes I forgo the ring and go straight into building rod with a health crystal.

My motto is, especially in solo queue: "Win your lane, win the game."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom