• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
So is it going to be like.. 5 points king of the hill until one team racks up more points or will one team have to capture all 5 at once?

Either way, I am PUMPED.

red13th

I love this pic:

2wg89l2.jpg

Jarvan (my wife <3) vs Renekton (my previous main)!
Plus Morgana in the background.
So much awesomeness!

EDIT: There's a Garen pic too <3 It's like they picked all my mains.

Home

A little disappointed in the announcement tbh. New mode looks great, I'm sure I'll play it a lot when it releases, but they built a lot of hype for a preview of a game mode. Was expecting more personally.

Kozak

Banned
Ferny73 said:
It looks like the new gfx are in place in the trailer or is it just me?

Narh looks about the same.

New mode looks nice but I can't imagine it being more than just a fun little time waster when you're having a day full of bad beats.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Can't say I like the new mode. The King of the hill, reeks of Tanky/DPS.

Though it is a smart move on their part, to continue to separate themselves from DOTA.

Rayven

aka surume
shintoki said:
Can't say I like the new mode. The King of the hill, reeks of Tanky/DPS.

Though it is a smart move on their part, to continue to separate themselves from DOTA.
Strats/meta is totally different.

Reposting the previews here from the official thread:
Joystiq
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/04/league-of-legends-dominion-preview/
"Dominion certainly turns the genre on its head, in a way that retains the elements that are now standard, and tweaks the gameplay in brand new ways. Riot promised players that it would do something "surprising," and it wanted to bring something new to the genre, so Dominion seems destined to enable both goals."

IGN
http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1186028p1.html
"Dominion, an entirely new game type for League of Legends, is more exciting than a rollercoaster built on top of a giant rollercoaster car that is actively moving on another rollercoaster. On fire."
"Dominion is playable at the upcoming Gamescom and Penny Arcade Expo consumer trade shows, and -- according to Riot -- it goes live shortly thereafter. It's also freely available to all players from the moment it comes out. Ohhhhhh yeeeeaaaah!"

Eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-04-league-of-legends-dominion-preview
"This represents an enormous addition to a game that has been traditional, almost conservative in adhering to its DotA-influenced style of play, and where the focus has almost always been on the development of new characters or new tactics. This Riot has started a revolution, and one that has arrived at just the right time."

Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5827657/league-of-legends-gets-new-fast+paced-game-mode-map/gallery/1
"Riot Games describe Dominion as an "accelerated version of the classic League of Legends" with matches lasting about 20 minutes. Gamers will have their first chance to check out the game later this month at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany, and later at PAX Prime in Seattle."

Destructoid
http://www.destructoid.com/preview-league-of-legends-dominion-207917.phtml
"Riot Games has addressed this issue by introducing something entirely unheard of in the genre. Enter Dominion, the newest gameplay mode that overhauls the classic system to accommodate a more fast-paced, action-packed gaming experience."

GamesRadar
http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/league...a-20110803215543907053/g-20090225153520723017
"There are tons of great mechanics and features that encourage lots of back-and-forth as both teams battle over control of the map."

G4 TV
http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/64229/...n-preview-dominion-mode-and-crystal-scar-map/
"For League of Legends veterans who've been waiting a long time for a new mode, you definitely won't be disappointed with League of Legends Dominion."

ZAM
http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=27239
"In a nutshell, Dominion is League of Legends distilled into pure adrenaline."

MMORPG.com
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...Legends-New-Dominion-Game-Mode-Announced.html

EXGN

New game mode sounds really fun, although it probably won't pull me away from standard 5v5. I figure it will be like my Blackjack for online poker - after a few bad beats, I always end the night with a few hands of Blackjack.

2th

Banned
my concern about dominion is how it breaks certain champions. we saw 3v3 show the power of people like Mundo and Gragas and any of the junglers to where they did get nerfed. cant wait to see the problems this game mode does for some champs.

though if they fuck with my Udyr heads will roll.

Riot has two options with balancing.

1) Balance the champions for 5v5 only and let the other modes be hilariously broken.
2) Adjust the stats for each champion for each map.

Blizzard

Banned
2th said:
though if they fuck with my Udyr heads will roll.
I've had a Udyr on my team twice in the last couple of days. Both times, they were in the jungle (which makes since for Udyr), but I think both games they had a strong tendency to go off on their own later in the game, often alone through jungles or in lanes, which would result in them getting mobbed by like 3 people and ending up with 1 kill and like 9 deaths (when the rest of us had 4-5 deaths).

Now, one may have been a good player, and I may have just failed to be a good enough team player to help them, but is that kind of normal for Udyr?

2th

Banned
Blizzard said:
I've had a Udyr on my team twice in the last couple of days. Both times, they were in the jungle (which makes since for Udyr), but I think both games they had a strong tendency to go off on their own later in the game, often alone through jungles or in lanes, which would result in them getting mobbed by like 3 people and ending up with 1 kill and like 9 deaths (when the rest of us had 4-5 deaths).

Now, one may have been a good player, and I may have just failed to be a good enough team player to help them, but is that kind of normal for Udyr?

not at all. a good udyr will be a solid tank. builds these days are lantern, omen, veil, sunfire, merc treads... laugh as you pump out decent damage while being a beefy mantigerturtlebearphoenix

Boken

Banned
Good on RioT. I honestly hope it works out for them - just recently I was thinking how unlike other genres, MOBAs are all very similiar.

EDIT: look at that sexy jessica rabbit style katarina banner art. Now if only she were a viable champion...

Azar

So we're looking at a release in September, I guess? That's not too bad. Much as I really wanted Magma Chamber as another option for 5v5, this is certainly a better way to differentiate the game from DOTA.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Until Valve announces a CTF mode with DOTA 2 heroes.

Or someone makes a mod for it.

:D

Loam

Dominion sounds really fun, and it definitely has me interested enough to come back for it once Dota 2 is released (mission accomplished Riot). I just cant help but be a little disappointed though with their "big announcement". The update which laid the groundwork for replays has been out for quite awhile now and we've heard nothing since. Not to mention we still haven't seen magma chamber nor anything more of "project shiny". Now dominion is announced, and that's still not being released for a bit.

Are they saving all these things for one big push to try and counter Dota 2 or something?

Wren said:
Are they saving all these things for one big push to try and counter Dota 2 or something?

I hope they have all these things ready, really, because I would not put it beyond Valve to release DotA 2 as soon as the International is over.

bluemax

Banned
2th said:
not at all. a good udyr will be a solid tank. builds these days are lantern, omen, veil, sunfire, merc treads... laugh as you pump out decent damage while being a beefy mantigerturtlebearphoenix

Needs more TriForce.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Tell us what it's like! They say it's extremely fast-paced and is much more aggressive than Classic.
when I went to pax east it was really annoying just to try to play nocturne. and that was just a guy being released in a week. i shudder to think of what the line will be for the new map

SamVimes

Tomorrow the points expire and i have almost 6300 (one game away from getting there), right now i'm having lots of fun with Malzahar but i'm thinking of getting a tank or a support*, advices?

*except Soraka, i know she's good but she only costs 450 and i'm trying to spends some points here! :D

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
SamVimes said:
Tomorrow the points expire and i have almost 6300 (one game away from getting there), right now i'm having lots of fun with Malzahar but i'm thinking of getting a tank or a support*, advices?
The only expensive tanks are Galio and Leona, and I'm not really sure either are worth it unless you really enjoy playing them. I wouldn't really recommend spending points on champions you haven't played, but if you're really looking to play support you should definitely look at Lux and Nidalee.

Do points really expire tomorrow though? I don't feel like I ever heard anything about that.

Neki

SamVimes said:

*except Soraka, i know she's good but she only costs 450 and i'm trying to spends some points here! :D
what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom