• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Just a tip to those who may need it if they see themselves dying too much in 5v5:

Buy your necessary AP/AD item, buy your boots, then go all defensive. I've seen people recommend 5 or so damage items when 1 or 2 will suffice. There is no point having 600 AP if you only have 1.8k hp and get grizzle graped in team fights.

Always be aware of your opponents. Playing against a full team of magic users? Build a banshee's veil ASAP!

Karthas is on the opponent team? Build a banshee's veil ASAP!

Auto-attack retards like Master Yi and Tryndamere on the opponent team? Build a Thornmail!

The past 3 games I played I just bought a Mejai's Soulstealer, Rylai's Scepter for damage items. With just these 2 damage items and some defensive items I went from squishy anti-carry (Akali) to beast carry champion, capable of acing their entire team with 4.2k hp. I recommend people to focus on survivability as it is crucial.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Had a fun GAF partial premade (four out of five) a little earlier, where I tried out Nasus for the first time (as off-tank). Things started out terribly, for me and for much of the rest of the team, and I went 1-5 in the laning phase. So I was a little worried.

But then once the team fight phase really ramped up I really saw the value in Nasus. And I didn't die for the rest of the game and turned my 1-5 into 11-5, and we went from being pushed to our nexus to coming back and winning. His ult really lasts a surprisingly long amount of time, and with the maxed out slow you can stick to people and clean up runners too. Good times.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
K.Sabot said:
Quick! Who should I buy: Nidalee or Katarina?

I would probably choose Katarina. I've never played either one, but I hear better impressions of Kat than I do of Nidalee (I don't really hear much about her).

Blackface

Banned
So I am playing Annie. Doing well with her, but I have lost 12 in a fucking row. I rarely ever die on her and have between 5-10 kills a match with tons of assists and creep kills. I just don't understand why the teams I get into fail so fucking hard. They feed the shit out of the other team. Last game there were two deaths before the creeps even spawned.

I have another question. If you que with a friend, so it put you with others who que'd together?

Edit: Also, how is Veigar when you get to level 30?

Shrennin

Blackface said:
I have another question. If you que with a friend, so it put you with others who que'd together?

From my experience, it generally puts you with other people that que'd together as well (meaning that you will likely be fighting against people who also que'd together).

I can always tell when it doesn't because the people on my team don't know who each other are (besides my friend and I) and the opposing team is generally a lot worse when people do not que together.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is anyone on.

Just added everyone, hope you don't mind.

Summoner name is Halycon.

Blackface

Banned
Shrinnan said:
From my experience, it generally puts you with other people that que'd together as well (meaning that you will likely be fighting against people who also que'd together).

I can always tell when it doesn't because the people on my team don't know who each other are (besides my friend and I) and the opposing team is generally a lot worse when people do not que together.

Ya, I was queing with my friend who isn't so good. And although I did really well, he would keep getting rocked. It honestly seemed like those we were facing, were teamed up together.

So I am solo q'ing now. Just had my first solo of the day. I did well, I am liking Annie alot. We won, and overall it was probably the funnest match I have played yet

94Z9z.jpg

Do they plan to allow people to mod the UI in this game?

Haly

There's about 7 people on right now let's get a game going once ya'll are done :3

KePoW

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Just a tip to those who may need it if they see themselves dying too much in 5v5:

Buy your necessary AP/AD item, buy your boots, then go all defensive. I've seen people recommend 5 or so damage items when 1 or 2 will suffice. There is no point having 600 AP if you only have 1.8k hp and get grizzle graped in team fights.

Always be aware of your opponents. Playing against a full team of magic users? Build a banshee's veil ASAP!

Karthas is on the opponent team? Build a banshee's veil ASAP!

Auto-attack retards like Master Yi and Tryndamere on the opponent team? Build a Thornmail!

The past 3 games I played I just bought a Mejai's Soulstealer, Rylai's Scepter for damage items. With just these 2 damage items and some defensive items I went from squishy anti-carry (Akali) to beast carry champion, capable of acing their entire team with 4.2k hp. I recommend people to focus on survivability as it is crucial.

These are excellent item tips, the Veil and Thornmail. Typically newbies never go for those because they don't know the mechanics of the game well yet.

Those items are not always necessary, but can make a big difference if the other team is being a pain in the ass.

I play Chogath atm and this buy order seems to keep me alive with its big ass hp boost - boots of speed , ninja tabi, warmog living armor, frozen mallet and sunefire cape. Probably some typos in those names but I just woke up so fuuu

Whoever said survivability is key is absolutely right. The best carries I see grab quick offensive items then move into armor/health. If you are a fed carry, don't stack Blood Thirsters unless you are Jax, because of his passive. Grab a Banshee's Vail or Sunfire Cape, maybe a Guardian Angel.

DrBo42

K.Sabot said:
IMO a good Nidalee is much more valuable. You can absolutely rape and have great survivability. Nidalee is a pro character, Kat is a win button character.

DrBo42 said:
IMO a good Nidalee is much more valuable. You can absolutely rape and have great survivability. Nidalee is a pro character, Kat is a win button character.
Kat is better, Nidalee is very strong for a champion with no cc, but she's basically a pub stomper.

DrBo42

TheHeretic said:
Kat is better, Nidalee is very strong for a champion with no cc, but she's basically a pub stomper.
If you've seen any of the pros play Nid, you would change your mind immediately :lol

Haly

Why is Nidalee borderline overpowered again? Besides having lane staying power and a very easy farm after she gets her R, I didn't see her do any carrying all game. And Hotshot was playing pretty defensively the entire game only coming out for ganks.

The other team surrendered because they were being dominated by Nidalee's teammates even without her help. And after she finished her farm their chances at winning was nil.

The most impressive part of that video was how seamlessly Hotshot switched between cougar and normal mode.

Tetsuo9

Kyoufu said:

I think it depends, if your K/D ratio es high then keep buying damage items, if it's low then start buying defensive items.

Tetsuo9

Halycon said:
Why is Nidalee borderline overpowered again? Besides having lane staying power and a very easy farm after she gets her R, I didn't see her do any carrying all game. And Hotshot was playing pretty defensively the entire game only coming out for ganks.

The other team surrendered because they were being dominated by Nidalee's teammates even without her help. And after she finished her farm their chances at winning was nil.

The most impressive part of that video was how seamlessly Hotshot switched between cougar and normal mode.
The problem with nidalee is her late game, she is not a good team fighter. So you must capitalize in the early-mid game or you will end up being a burden for your team.

Kyoufu

Tetsuo9 said:
I think it depends, if your K/D ratio es high then keep buying damage items, if it's low then start buying defensive items.

I can't afford any deaths once reaching 20 stacks on Mejai's Soulstealer so I go fully defensive.

Buying more damage items when you're already doing well in the team fight phase is silly.

Tetsuo9

Kyoufu said:
I can't afford any deaths once reaching 20 stacks on Mejai's Soulstealer so I go fully defensive.

Buying more damage items when you're already doing well in the team fight phase is silly.
It's not silly for any late game carry.

Haly

Compromise: buy items with health/armor/resist and damage!

Zhengi

K.Sabot said:

Katarina for her red card skin...

but then... Nidalee does have that french maid skin...

This is tough :(

If you want to know who the better champ is, then Kat is probably better.

Haly

Hi trash! I was all Honned out so I decided to play some LoL again!

Just saw Katarina.

She has no costs to her abilities at all? That's just fucking stupid. I liked trynd and some of the energy heroes because they presented something different but it makes mana users look like chumps since the former aren't limited by their mana regen and Katarina has no limits at all apparently. And her abilities look on par with that of a mana hero.

Trasher

Halycon said:
Yeah, I got HoN'ed out a while back as well, but I'm playing SC2 every now and again still. Trying to get ready for release. I am kinda tempted to try LoL though. Kinda curious to see if it can come anywhere close to the competitiveness of HoN/DotA.

Kyoufu

Halycon said:

Just saw Katarina.

She has no costs to her abilities at all? That's just fucking stupid. I liked trynd and some of the energy heroes because they presented something different but it makes mana users look like chumps since the former aren't limited by their mana regen and Katarina has no limits at all apparently. And her abilities look on par with that of a mana hero.

Champions such as Katarina and Garen are strictly cooldown-based with no cost to their abilities, but personally I don't find them as fun as energy or mana based Champions.

The worst has to be auto-attack champions like Yi and Trynd. Ugh they are effective but not fun to play at all, unless auto-attack is your preferred method of fighting, then all the more power to you.

Kat vs Nidalee. Kat is easier to play, pretty much anyone can pick her and do well but Nidalee takes real skill. Her playsyle is different and much more rewarding imo. If you can master her then you'll go a long way in this game.

Haly

Trasher said:
Yeah, I got HoN'ed out a while back as well, but I'm playing SC2 every now and again still. Trying to get ready for release. I am kinda tempted to try LoL though. Kinda curious to see if it can come anywhere close to the competitiveness of HoN/DotA.
Weren't you in the beta? Or did you strictly play HoN?

It's fun, and the community's pretty much the same. Although it's slightly less nerve wrecking in LoL cause you don't have to deal with a mint-style player laning mid with you and not letting you get anything ever.

The worst has to be auto-attack champions like Yi and Trynd. Ugh they are effective but not fun to play at all, unless auto-attack is your preferred method of fighting, then all the more power to you.
Yi I agree with, just a boring hero all around. I like Trynd cause he can actually help the team rather than just rushing the squishies on the other side.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've been playing it for the past week. It's kind of fun, but nowhere near as polished as HoN. The game feels slow, clunky, and unresponsive. The idea of persistent unlocks and buying heroes isn't very appealing either.

Still, the game is far more casual friendly than HoN. There aren't many players that have yelled at me for being new, but then again, there hasn't been much teamwork either.

Fun game. I'll stick with it for a while, but ultimately, I feel like HoN will probably be my long term game (even though I'm tired of it at the moment).

My hero of choice is Akali. Apparently she's poorly balanced and not a very strong hero, but I like her. She's fun since she has no downtime with her energy mechanic. I just wish she had a decent escape mechanism, since she's such a squishee.

VaLiancY

I love Kat because of her ability to harass and push.
And using her ult to steal kills and watch people buy Thornmail

Though my favorite pusher is Mordekaiser.

Halycon said:

Watch any of the 30 videos he has up for Nidalee, that was just one example. I've seen him 1v3 people and come out with 2 kills before he gets away. Nidalee is simply amazing and an easy tier 3 (A) champion. There's a reason Team AoN bans her every time they get the chance.

And yes, her late game doesn't scale nearly as well as early/mid.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Almost have enough points to get gangplank, can't wait to mess with him :D

Anyone want to play some games tonight? Add HazamaIsTopTier :D

Blackface

Banned
So I am loving Annie and got the hang of her really well. I am looking for another caster type champion to play. Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking fiddlesticks, but I am not sure.

Shrennin

Blackface said:
So I am loving Annie and got the hang of her really well. I am looking for another caster type champion to play. Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking fiddlesticks, but I am not sure.

My main is Fiddlesticks and I love him. When I first played him, I grew to hate him because I generally hate playing rogues and I consider Fiddlesticks the true rogue mage. However, Fiddle's ultimate is a game changer that will force the enemy team to adapt or get crushed.

Anyway, when I was doing horrible with Fiddlesticks, I tried out Kennen and found I loved the playstyle he requires. I'm not sure if playing him made me better, but when I was on a losing streak with Kennen I tried out Fiddle again and since I've been playing him my K/D has been 40-50 positive.

I'm also undefeated in Twisted Treeline because I play with a friend (who chooses Poppy for that map) and we crush the other team together.

hadar

Just finished my third game with Poppy and holy crap, I found the first champion i'm going to buy! Never thought she'd be a carry type character until I actually bothered to read the chart :p
I'm now completely in love with heroic charge.

Azar

Blackface said:
Veigar is my go-to champion right now, because late-game his nukes are insane and his trap can be a life-saver, not to mention very effective for team fights. He might not be the best caster out there, but against characters who build AP, his ultimate is lethal.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I *FINALLY* got the game to work. It only took three days of troubleshooting! :D My IG name is ScumbagBlues if anyone wants to add me.

Rayven

aka surume
Just lost this annoying 4v5. I've won 4v5, but our Blitz left after the advantage was up and our Ashe refused to take anti-tank advise on itemization (she had Wits until the very end) >:|

4v5.jpg

2nd time playing Nasus btw, pretty fun for a melee.

TheExodu5 said:
My hero of choice is Akali. Apparently she's poorly balanced and not a very strong hero, but I like her. She's fun since she has no downtime with her energy mechanic. I just wish she had a decent escape mechanism, since she's such a squishee.
Akali is great btw. I think we just patched in a charge for her ult if you get a kill, which should help a lot for escape...also, you know you can ult to enemy minions too, right? That + stealth helps her get out.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
First game back:

FWWfi.png

I guess playing HoN and watching dozens of hours of competitive games has helped me. :lol

Rayven

aka surume
Archie said:
First game back:I guess playing HoN and watching dozens of hours of competitive games has helped me. :lol
what the hell was going on with the other teams items? :lol

edit: Also, nashor's tooth is great on kayle. AP + attack speed = building rape with her fire sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom