• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't you show your own ranked stats before inquiring about someone else's? As if they matter anyway? You said he hasn't played much, he posted showing that he has, and then you want to ask about how much ranked he's played?

Neki

constantly applying single target slows or aoe pulsing slows can still affect people under the effects of ghost, but if you flash from them, you gain enough distance to be unaffected by it, which is another reason why it's better than ghost.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
FutureZombie said:
Why is flash so much more popular than ghost?
1) Instant: It can be used to get out of the range of stuns/disables that might shut you down. With ghost, you still have travel time from A to B. By the same reasoning, it can be used to bring you into range for a stun/disable, without warning the other side overmuch that you're planning to approach.
2) Goes through walls: Self explanatory
3) Versatile: A combination of 1 and 2. Ghost is limited by pathing, and it takes time. The benefits of Flash are immediate, and it can overcome solid barriers.

Nome spying on the competition. Lulz.
Shouldn't you show your own ranked stats before inquiring about someone else's?
Ironically, the original reason I started playing ranked games is that I got tired of people throwing ELO around like it was some kind of final word in a debate. That was before I realized ranked is fucking boring and no one wants to tank.

I'm trying to find an article, I think it was an interview with either Pendragon or Guinsoo. They talked about the sacrifices they made early on in order to minimize costs and maximize production. Maybe I'm getting it confused with something else.

"Didnt Adobe drop Air support? I do hope lol stops using it, it is pretty awful. I mean, it is an adobe product >.<"

Without knowing what software Riot uses at all, you'd probably be disappointed in that they likely use other Adobe products for LoL as well.

Haly

Teknopathetic said:
Shouldn't you show your own ranked stats before inquiring about someone else's? As if they matter anyway? You said he hasn't played much, he posted showing that he has, and then you want to ask about how much ranked he's played?
Jwong has, to my knowledge, never posted a screenshot of his stats/games in this thread, nor does he play with LoLGAF. I get the feeling he's actively avoiding both to make sure no one can easily call him out on his bullshit.

He's like Chinese Electric Batman except he thinks he knows about balancing and game design.

markot

Banned
Out of all the things that annoy me about hon and lol though, its the hero locking system and the half assed 'rotations' that they do of the freebies.

I really hope Valve just lets players use em all >.< It would be like locking tf2 classes and letting freebies play 1 class a week.... except there are also 50 more classes... Its like a straight jacket.

Haly

markot said:
Out of all the things that annoy me about hon and lol though, its the hero locking system and the half assed 'rotations' that they do of the freebies.

I really hope Valve just lets players use em all >.< It would be like locking tf2 classes and letting freebies play 1 class a week.... except there are also 50 more classes... Its like a straight jacket.
Part of the business model. They have to do it to sell heroes and selling heroes is one of their big cash cows.

It sucks but that's F2P for you :(
So when do we get the Judgment Kayle skins? When does season 1 end? When do our Elo stats reset?
Find out all of this and more... after this next Champion Spotlight from our sponsors!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gez said:
So when do we get the Judgment Kayle skins? When does season 1 end? When do our Elo stats reset?
ELO stats aren't going to reset when the season ends.

Haly

For those who aren't following they're doing a soft reset. Most likely your ELO will be reverted/advanced to some kind of milestone, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say the milestones will be a multiple of 50.

markot

Banned
I guess, skins must make some money but nowhere near as much as heroes do...

Im not imaginitive enough to think of another way to do it >.< hehe, I guess if the game was still profitable with skin sales, maybe ads during loading or on the client >_>? it would be enough of a hook to get more people in and thereby limit the loss from hero sales...

Haly

markot said:
I guess, skins must make some money but nowhere near as much as heroes do...

Im not imaginitive enough to think of another way to do it >.< hehe, I guess if the game was still profitable with skin sales, maybe ads during loading or on the client >_>? it would be enough of a hook to get more people in and thereby limit the loss from hero sales...
Ad support is another possibility but it won't make as much money as selling champions. Other games are trying it, not sure how it's working out for them.

Also it would piss off the millions of people who already shelled out hundreds for them. I know I would be furious, since I've spent $100+ on this game. If Riot had asked me "will you give us $50 upfront?" while I was in beta I would've easily said yes. But now I'm spending more than I did on HoN and Dota combined.

Riot claims they're selling convenience with champions, but when you need IP to get runes, and you need a wide selection of heroes if you're going to be able to adapt during team selection, they are effectively selling you power. It's just filtered through enough layers that people don't notice it.

Haly

Anyway here's a (in my opinion) damning quote from Marc Merill:
Marc Merrill said:
We launched our in-game store to kick off monetization, which is exciting. A big focus for us throughout 2009 was just getting a product ready to go to market.
Full Article.

Compare that to...
Gaben said:
But our focus is really much on building something that's cool, and then we'll worry about monetization. So we're not going to worry about that until later. Premature monetization is the root of all evil.
I can't say Riot is in the wrong for focusing on getting something profitable. They were a new company, trying out a different business strategy in a market unfamiliar with it. They had to minimize risk, for the sake of all their employees. But I still can't forgive them for bending the game to suit the business model.

Another interesting tidbit:
Marc Merrill said:
Yes, but, you know – while Starcraft II has a really robust single-player, if you want to compete in the multiplayer and win more than 10 percent of your games, you have to be very intense and really focused. I'm not trying to say that League of Legends is super accessible, but the moment-to-moment experience actually does allow for rest and different forms of gameplay.

You can have the intense team battles, but then you can go farm a little bit and do some PvE and go back to base and heal at the fountain and do item shopping -- things like that. It's this natural pacing that happens, like in Counter-Strike, where you have really intense action for three minutes, shooting guys and running around the map, then you get killed and you get to hang out a bit.

World of Warcraft and a lot of other games have a similar pattern of intensity, then a break, then intensity, then a break -- whereas an RTS game is straight intensity the entire time. It's more intense, I would say, from a consistence perspective.
Where's your PvP now, Jwong?

dimb

Wow. Just fuck the game balance. Crushed by this team comp and there was literally nothing that could be done to counter the insane stuns/heals/burst.
8108ede3711deb0f6e1d917ab836bf9b7118e237.jpg

Whoever was handling the support changes last patch is completely incompetent.

I don't even know why people pay attention to JWong, seriously.

At any rate, my Jarvan IV just had his first truly dominating presence:

At the end I took down 3 champions, one after the other. The enemy Garen couldn't even kill me at 1/5th health; I took him down from full.

dimb

Ultimoo said:
not enough ignite and executioner calling amirite?
Pretty much everyone but the jungler had ignite and it was over before anyone could get an Executioner's Calling without ignoring getting some obviously needed magic resist.

Neki

Boken said:
Lol.

I don't know what to say DimB. Calling the balance incompetant because you lost to a support team...

they haven't nerfed support enough already.

nerf support hard

support harder

dimb

Boken said:
Lol.

I don't know what to say DimB. Calling the balance incompetant because you lost to a support team...
I went positive on my score. But the combo of the stuns/support made it impossible to initiate. Taric/Nidalee is pretty much a guaranteed win versus top with the stun into spear and then they can all group up and stomp. I know what I'm saying is absurd, but it was just really dumb and my team comp wasn't bad, but could do nothing to fight them.

Haly

Why crop out your team?

Methinks there is some shenanigans going on.

Also its obvious now that Clarity is better than Flash

Boken

Banned
Support teams have a weak early game and a weak late game. They're susceptible to a single ignite, burst and/or coordination. There's a reason why you wouldn't see teams like that at high level play. It's just a troll team comp.

I don't see how it's impossible to initiate.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Dance In My Blood said:
I went positive on my score. But the combo of the stuns/support made it impossible to initiate. Taric/Nidalee is pretty much a guaranteed win versus top with the stun into spear and then they can all group up and stomp. I know what I'm saying is absurd, but it was just really dumb and my team comp wasn't bad, but could do nothing to fight them.

Ask top to stop auto attacking the creep, just last hit. Don't expect to push all the way to enemy tower without getting gang.

Taric stun is good, but it also have pretty short range and have long travel time, it should give you enough time to retreat to tower every time you see the stun..... well unless you push them all the way to the other side of the tower.

I feel so pathetic. I just decided to do a Twisted treeline PVP game. Solo. It's loading as we speak.

My stomach hurts. I hate competition...fuuu. I figured I'd jump in, though.

Haly

Or sit near a creep so the arrow has less of a chance to hit you. Its not a 5 sec sun so there shouldnt be that much time for Nid to move.

Also if top is getting owned then your jungler needs to stop jungling and help. And I dont mean a halfassed gank. Sit down and lane properly.

Ferga

FlightOfHeaven said:
I don't even know why people pay attention to JWong, seriously.

At any rate, my Jarvan IV just had his first truly dominating presence:

At the end I took down 3 champions, one after the other. The enemy Garen couldn't even kill me at 1/5th health; I took him down from full.

i've gotten triforce,infinity edge, another zeal and bloodthirster on jarvan before.

2-4 hitting everyone is just fun

Orgun

Fuck me this is addictive. I almost entirely abandoned my playthroughs of Witcher 2 and Deus Ex HR.

I've spent most of this morning looking up builds for characters and trying to figure out some of the lingo :)

markot

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Didnt Adobe drop Air support? I do hope lol stops using it, it is pretty awful. I mean, it is an adobe product >.<"

Without knowing what software Riot uses at all, you'd probably be disappointed in that they likely use other Adobe products for LoL as well.
Oh, and I dont mind their tools, its more their stuff that goes to the consumers that sucks, Air, Flash software, PDF reader... >.>;

Ark

Orgun said:
Fuck me this is addictive. I almost entirely abandoned my playthroughs of Witcher 2 and Deus Ex HR.

I've spent most of this morning looking up builds for characters and trying to figure out some of the lingo :)

You're on the EU West servers right? I'm sure I saw you in the NeoGAF room sometime yesterday :p

If you add me 'TheConcierge' I'll be happy to play some games with you if you want.

Neki

just had a game where uchip's friend insisted on going jungle irelia, and proceeded to feed throughout the whole game

sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom