• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark

To be fair it depends how much you play and what your win/loss ratio is.

Blizzard said:
Blitzcrank is decent, Garen can be really hard to take down, Malphite does well (and his damage output scales with armor), Rammus (free this week) seems like a classic effective tank, Singed is an effective tank.

I probably missed several. Of course per the earlier discussion these may not be "true" tanks, but they can fulfill roles of taking lots of damage and/or annoying the enemy team.

Cho, Amumu, Shen, Dr. Mundo, Leona, and maybe Taric can also do it too I guess! There are bunches.

I'll try out Malphite for sure, but how does Galio stack up? I've not seen many people play him at all, if any.

Blizzard

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
How does it take you months to get 6300 IP?

I just bought Garen last week, and I've already made the IP back. I'm sitting at 15k again.
I was exaggerating. It probably takes me a week or so to get 6300 IP if I waste my life away playing (like I'm currently doing). If you spend 4 hours a day playing, at an average of 150 IP per game, that's 4200 IP per week. So maybe my week estimate is low, actually. 4 hours per day grinding IP is crazy but perhaps realistic. Or maybe my average is off and even losses should average to 180-200 IP?

I'll try out Malphite for sure, but how does Galio stack up? I've not seen many people play him at all, if any.
I forgot to mention Galio. I assume he can tank pretty well, and he has a very useful ult so you can flash and then ult-taunt everyone and do damage. I tried using him way back when he was free. I suspect he's 6300 IP and green and ugly and thus no one uses him though.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Ferrio said:
We should try an all stealth team.

Is there even 5 characters with stealth? Shaco, eve, twitch, teemo

??

Akali or Vayne would complete.

I've done it and it doesn't end well vs smart types. If you get people who have no concept of warding or grouping up as a team it's pure laughs.

Jhriad

Ark said:
Which champions make the best tanks?

Amumu, Rammus, Cho, Singed, Leona, Malph (who I don't like because his ult is so easily countered), Galio, Jarvan

There are probably a few that I'm missing but I will say that I'd rather someone just take a support or carry over a tank that doesn't have a way to initiate or "force" players to at least consider focusing him. One reason I don't care for tank Garen. Tanky DPS/Off Tank okay. Tank? Nah.

Ark said:

He's better since those changes last patch(or were those in a previous patch?). Not god tier tank like Amumu but acceptable in capable hands.

Jhriad said:
Amumu, Rammus, Cho, Singed, Leona, Malph (who I don't like because his ult is so easily countered), Galio, Jarvan

There are probably a few that I'm missing but I will say that I'd rather someone just take a support or carry over a tank that doesn't have a way to initiate or "force" players to at least consider focusing him. One reason I don't care for tank Garen. Tanky DPS/Off Tank okay. Tank? Nah.

Maokai as well.

Balb

I'm just starting to play LoL and was wondering if anyone could refer me to a guide or something. It feels like so much to take in at once, especially because I haven't played dota before.

People still fall for this?

lolmalphitenerdrage.png

KJTB

I swear, 50% of the games I play have a tryndamere in it. I hate him, I know he's balanced but he's just not a fun champion to play against. Maybe it's because i'm only lvl 28, but it's just a pain in the ass to see him all the time.

Exhaust > Tryndamere

Honestly, I look forward to fighting Tryndamere. This is how my fights go.

Beat the shit out of each other
Tryndamere activates UNDYING RAGE
Jarvan IV uses EXHAUST
Tryndamere is out of UNDYING RAGE
Tryndamere uses SPINNING SLASH to escape!
Jarvan IV uses CATACLYM to catch him!
Tryndamere is now dead

Alt

Tryndamere uses FLASH to escape Cataclysm!
Jarvan IV uses FLASH or STANDARD + SPEAR combo to chase!
Tryndamere is now dead

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He is one of the best initiator-jungler-mass disablers in the game.

As an actual meatsponge, however, he leaves something to be desired.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I hit 30 yesterday and played my 10 ranked games. I guess its ideal to wait around another week for season 1 ELO to reset since I heard you could get bad luck with teams. Gold league gaf represent

nSE1e.jpg

Achtius

SteveO409 said:
I hit 30 yesterday and played my 10 ranked games. I guess its ideal to wait around another week for season 1 ELO to reset since I heard you could get bad luck with teams. Gold league gaf represent

http://i.imgur.com/nSE1e.jpg[/i mg][/QUOTE]

grats, and i guess u are going to get a free jarvan skin

Wait... that's all I have to do to get Jarvan IV's skin? Well, shit, can I get some GAFfers to help boost me to Gold?

Edit: Also, if I'm playing the Mac version today... that's cool, right Rayven?

Ark

What's the general consensus on Talon at the moment? The more I see of him the more I want him, although I'm probably going to wait until the next patch before I buy any new champs just in case I buy a champ that gets epicly nerfed T__T

On my quest to find videos with Rivington the Third, I happened upon some Dominion videos (he and Phreak are commentating). Holy shit...WANT. Dominion, too.

It looks so damn fun.

Haly

First Ranked in ages. Thought Jarven would be a safe pick:
ibqDtlBqGcVQ7N.png

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ultimoo said:
gold is only 1528 for 5v5? damn uchip, where are you.
The cry of only being able to play support.

Janna 7.6:1, Sona 8.3:1, Lux 9.2:1

Everyone else... far lower and I still can't carry games. You gaffers need to play with me more. Please ^_^

Though I just had a Nasus telling me about LeBlac having no end game. Same one who built a Bloodthrister. >_>

Ferrio said:
I'm being serious as much as I don't care if people think the character is underpowered. Don't care if I lose, long as I have fun. Even if twitch sucks, the fact he can cause teams to change how they lane is well worth it.
Dunno if you've already made your decision, but from my experiences, Eve/Twitch/any underpowered champ can do just fine in normal games. I'd go so far as to say that this applies even in ranked games, as long as you're not in the upper Elo levels(though this is mostly speculation).

People read on the forums that x champion is broken/gimp/useless and -- having read/seen nothing to the contrary -- assume that this is 100% true and applies to all levels of play. In reality, who you play against and how firmly you grasp the basic, essential gameplay elements that affect every champion are going to be the deciding factors in most of your games.

What's so bad about Nomad? All I've ever seen him do is send a sand clone out to attack and auto attack afterwards. Although that could be just a case of me never seeing any good Nomads.

Haly

PoorFate said:
What's so bad about Nomad? All I've ever seen him do is send a sand clone out to attack and auto attack afterwards. Although that could be just a case of me never seeing any good Nomads.
Mirage Strike does more damage than most nukes at the level 2-3, can't miss, can be used to juke, can draw fire from spells/tower and costs less than 100 mana.

But that's his only major asset. Otherwise he's kind of a lackluster carry. He relies on snowbawlling using Mirage Strike early on.

Lulz HoN discussion.

Haly

I don't think Riot knows what it wants to do with Season 2.

markot

Banned
Um, is Corki broken >_>? Valkyrie didnt seem to work at all for me the last game, all he did is surge forward, no fire or dots >.>

iamblades

Ark said:
Which champions make the best tanks?

Blitzcrank and the mega-grab looks good atm.

Shen is probably the most tanky character in the game, ie the hardest to kill, but he does no damage at all. Galio is a great tank vs heavy AP teams.

Alistar and taric are great support/tank hybrids. Leona and maokai seem awesome, I don't own them though.

Amumu is a great jungle tank, a bit skillshot dependent, as you need to hit bandage tosses to get the best initiation, if you have another ranged stun on your team you can get great initiations off. Ashe arrow to a person in the middle of the enemy team, bandage toss the stunned champ, amumu ult to stick the rest of the team in place. Rammus is good, but not the easiest tank to effectively use IMO.

Blitzcrank, cho'gath and malphite are awesome hybrid tank/dps. All skillshot dependent to different degrees though.

Garen and Jarvan can be built really tanky as well if your team already has plenty of disables and damage.

broz0rs

markot said:
Um, is Corki broken >_>? Valkyrie didnt seem to work at all for me the last game, all he did is surge forward, no fire or dots >.>

I had it happen to me before as well. It's a graphics related bug/problem. When it happened to me I tested it out by using it on top of minions and it killed them even though there was no fire.

Blizzard

Banned
broz0rs said:
I had it happen to me before as well. It's a graphics related bug/problem. When it happened to me I tested it out by using it on top of minions and it killed them even though there was no fire.
I kept seeing minions just vanish/take damage in front of corki with some sort of brief white or blue flash, so maybe that was the same glitch? I dunno.

I tried poppy a few times -- she seemed really fun to play, but for a 100% melee character she takes SO much damage. I was recalling like every two minutes.

As a positive side note, speaking of glitches, the crazy pixellated ground problems on my ATI 5850 seem to have gone away (they appeared when I updated my drivers for Deus Ex HR, I think), so I'm assuming Riot patched something.

FutureZombie said:
Does Anivia have the best spell casting range in the game? That bird is so annoying to lane against mid.
I don't think she does. You have to get fairly close for your spells (E and ult) to trigger, which is kind of annoying.

And, yeah, she's annoying to fight against mid. I was told I was very annoying :D

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
shintoki said:
The cry of only being able to play support.

Janna 7.6:1, Sona 8.3:1, Lux 9.2:1

Everyone else... far lower and I still can't carry games. You gaffers need to play with me more. Please ^_^

Though I just had a Nasus telling me about LeBlac having no end game. Same one who built a Bloodthrister. >_>

Where are you? I been begging for game everyday in chat. :(

dragonlife said:
I don't think she does. You have to get fairly close for your spells (E and ult) to trigger, which is kind of annoying.

And, yeah, she's annoying to fight against mid. I was told I was very annoying :D

I've never played her, but I have played mid against her in two games (one with Tristana, one with Veigar) and she out-ranged me very badly on both of them. I was able to kill her three times with Veigar, but I could never finish off the egg in time. So annoying.

dragonlife said:
Weird request. Can someone point me to any matches where Rivington the 3rd is commentating?

Uh when you find them could you share the link, he is such a hotie with a sexy voice and I bet you think the same, don't try to deny it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom