• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
How did they decide that 5v5 was the best for this game >.>? For that map I mean, why not 7v7?!

Also... it cant be that hard to make some more maps than the standard 3 lane dota map >.<; I think the problem with e-sportish games is that they get stuck abit in the 'esport' and forget about innovating and pushing forward. Cough starcraft cough >.<!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Champions are balanced for the 5v5 map. You'd be surprised how much the layout can change power balance between heroes.

Positioning is so crucial in this game, maps aren't really interchangable at all.

Wrekt said:
Ouch, sucks for the guys that buy those 2 magazines.

I picked up the front copy in a wal-mart this morning and luckily the code worked.

Too bad I never tried Caitlyn before and I discovered that I don't particularly like her.

:(

Too bad you can't give me the code...

Blizzard

Banned
Ugh...Rayven or anyone else who knows, is there any possiblity to get a leaver thing forgiven/cancelled? A match started, it popped up the league of legends logo, and then just froze there. It said something about can't connect to the server. I restarted LoL a few times, and I could type in chat, but reconnecting to the game just freezes with the logo. I've never left a game and there isn't anything I can do about it apparently. :(

Blizzard said:
Ugh...Rayven or anyone else who knows, is there any possiblity to get a leaver thing forgiven/cancelled? A match started, it popped up the league of legends logo, and then just froze there. It said something about can't connect to the server. I restarted LoL a few times, and I could type in chat, but reconnecting to the game just freezes with the logo. I've never left a game and there isn't anything I can do about it apparently. :(

Same thing just happened to me, except I couldn't even get into chat.

Blizzard

Banned
Ferrio said:
AD sona is best sona.
Early game, someone on the other team was like "Why does SUPPORT hit like a truck".

As I said in chat, Galio seemed fun to try again, especially with clarity so mana problems aren't as bad. I feel like a tank like that is super-dependent on having a good team to have a chance at winning though, since it's not like you'd be carrying any games.

Too bad Galio costs 6 million IP.

*edit* General public service announcement, do NOT depend on teleport to work. For the last week or so it seems that some percentage of the time it will just cancel and not do anything except put itself on cooldown, even if you weren't moving before you used it. It's half hilarious and half heartbreaking.

Hey guys,
Newbie to DOTA & LoL, just started playing this week.

I'm on EU West, my summoner name Zeouterlimits.
Currently had my best experiences with Ryze & Soraka.

Anyway, if there are any nubs looking for company, :).

red13th

Boken said:
Too bad the art looks terrible.

My thoughts on the new champion?
Trinity Force? Trinity Force.

So refreshing.
I think the only aspect that will be more refreshing is her IP cost.
Art is dreadful btw.

Eh, I don't mind the art. The character and her abilities look cool.

Come on, Riot, buck the trend. Make her 4800 IP. Jarvan IV cost that, and Jarvan IV is amazing.

Will likely purchase.

iamblades

Playing support when you get a shitty team is the worst thing ever.. :(

Just got a game where I had to support a crappy lane shaco who refused to even attempt to get CS.

Haly

If you are just learning the game, I suggest you stick with the champions on free rotation before you decide which one to buy. The rotation changes every week.

Here are the 450-1350 champs that will take you very far in this game, and teach you some of the basic roles available to champions.

450:
Annie - AP Carry
Ashe - AD Carry
Soraka - Support (not sure about how effective she is after nerfs/buffs, someone want to chip in?)

1350:
Warwick - Tank, Jungle, Initiator, Ganker
Tristana - AD Carry, Pusher
Fiddlesticks - Jungle, Ganker
Garen - Tank, Bruiser
Alistar - Tank, Ganker
Twisted Fate - Hybrid AP/AD Carry, Ganker
Amumu - Tank, Jungle, Initiator, Ganker
Cho'Gath - Tank, Jungle, Ganker
Janna - Support
Taric - Support

iamblades

droopy said:
So as a new player should I buy one of the ~400 point heroes or just try out whoever is free? Are any champs always free?

Should definitely buy one of the 450 point heroes as there are a bunch of good ones in that group, and it's good to have consistency.

There aren't any champs that are always in the free rotation, but most of the 450/1350 heroes are in there really often.

iamblades

Halycon said:
If you are just learning the game, I suggest you stick with the champions on free rotation before you decide which one to buy. The rotation changes every week.

Here are the 450-1350 champs that will take you very far in this game, and teach you some of the basic roles available to champions.

450:
Annie - AP Carry
Ashe - AD Carry
Soraka - Support (not sure about how effective she is after nerfs/buffs, someone want to chip in?)

1350:
Warwick - Tank, Jungle, Initiator, Ganker
Tristana - AD Carry, Pusher
Fiddlesticks - Jungle, Ganker
Garen - Tank, Bruiser
Alistar - Tank, Ganker
Twisted Fate - Hybrid AP/AD Carry, Ganker
Amumu - Tank, Jungle, Initiator, Ganker
Cho'Gath - Tank, Jungle, Ganker
Janna - Support
Taric - Support

Ryze is a really good easy to play AP carry as well. IMO he's much easier to play than annie, as his stun is easier to use and he scales off mana, so it's easier to build him for a new player IMO. Plus he is more survivable with a decent spell vamp + his ult.

Soraka is much less effective as support than she was before, but way more effective as hybrid DPS than she was before. Still a good hero to grab. The better support heroes are all on the 1350 level: alistar, taric, janna, and zilean

droopy

iamblades said:
Should definitely buy one of the 450 point heroes as there are a bunch of good ones in that group, and it's good to have consistency.

There aren't any champs that are always in the free rotation, but most of the 450/1350 heroes are in there really often.
How about Garen? He seems pretty straight forward in the tutorial and he's 450 points. Is he easy to use against real people?

Haly

Garen is 1350, or 585 with RP.

He's a very solid hero, though.

iamblades

droopy said:
How about Garen? He seems pretty straight forward in the tutorial and he's 450 points. Is he easy to use against real people?

Spin to win is a common phrase for a reason.

:D

Yeah he's a good pick if you like the bruiser/tanky physical dps role.

I'd typically recommend a new player to start with a ranged champ, as it's easier to get the hang of last hitting when you don't have to worry quite so much about being harassed back. Garen isn't a terrible option as far as melee champs go though, because he is tanky enough and his passive regen helps him stay in lane against harassment longer than a lot of other melee champs.

He's even got his own song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw44JdK3p9k Yeah garen is metal as fuck.

droopy

Oops I thought all the tutorial guys would be in the cheap bracket.
Ok I guess I will try a ranged one, Ryze for now cause he is free. Thanks for suggestions.

iamblades

droopy said:
Oops I thought all the tutorial guys would be in the cheap bracket.
Ok I guess I will try a ranged one, Ryze for now cause he is free. Thanks for suggestions.

For ryze, build mana heavy, as mana scales his spells. tear of the goddess/catalyst the protector are a great 2 early items. End game with rod of ages, sorc shoes, banshee's veil, frozen heart and archangel's staff, you will do tons of damage and be really survivable for a caster.

red13th

I can't recommend Garen enough for new people, his playstyle is very straightforward, he's bulky and deals decent damage.

Don't forget Tristana is free via Facebook too.

Played against a good Swain today. I'm not the kind of guy to call imba all the time, but he really does seem a step above most champs. He liquified me twice when I was Galio with Rod of Ages and Force of Nature and I didn't even get stuck in his snare.

Also, I'm trying to put a rune set together that will work good for all champions before I put any specific ones together. I'm thinking focusing on health and cooldown reduction would be good.

Any suggestions?

Haly

My generic rune page is:
Health Quints
CD Blues
MP5 Yellows
MPen Reds

If you play more AD than AP then swap out MPen for ArPen, which is very useful once you start making rune pages for junglers. An alternative for MP5 Yellows are Armor Yellows, again, another rune that's essential for jungling rune pages.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mister Wilhelm said:
Played against a good Swain today. I'm not the kind of guy to call imba all the time, but he really does seem a step above most champs. He liquified me twice when I was Galio with Rod of Ages and Force of Nature and I didn't even get stuck in his snare.

Also, I'm trying to put a rune set together that will work good for all champions before I put any specific ones together. I'm thinking focusing on health and cooldown reduction would be good.

Any suggestions?
Ignite. Executioner's Calling.

iamblades

Dance In My Blood said:
You want flat HP quints.

^^

you almost always want flat runes of any type.

per level runes aren't great because at level 18 your gear dwarfs the stats provided by your runes, so it's better to go for the bigger early advantage. The one major exception is on support characters, because you don't get much gear playing support, and you don't need the early game advantage to win your lane and get an early kill. Also Mp5, because Mp5/level runes even out to flat Mp5 really early relative to all the other per level runes, also Mp5 is more useful when you are higher level and have more abilities to spam.

Haly

Flat health, flat armor, flath arpen/mpen, scaling MP5.

Why scaling MP5? Because they overtake MP5 runes at level 6. You can make the argument that having high MP5 from 1-5 is more important than after 6 and I would agree with this for AP heroes, but the rune page was designed to solve mana problems in non-AP champions so I went with scaling.

Blizzard

Banned
I tried Garen since I figured he was tough and you could spin to win.

Turns out he's really weak, doesn't have much HP, and dies constantly. =( And like the top 4-5 build recommendations had basically zero defense items recommended. Am I doing it wrong?

Haly

Blizzard said:
Yes.
Turns out he's really weak, doesn't have much HP, and dies constantly.
No, no, depends on how you play him.
=( And like the top 4-5 build recommendations had basically zero defense items recommended.
Bruiser Garen is more popular than tank garen these days.
Am I doing it wrong?
Yep.

iamblades

Blizzard said:

Turns out he's really weak, doesn't have much HP, and dies constantly. =( And like the top 4-5 build recommendations had basically zero defense items recommended. Am I doing it wrong?

I build him tanky. I go for sunfire as my first real item.

Basically level 1 boots and pots(though you don't even need them up against another melee champ, because of your passive regen), farm a bunch, usually have enough got belt and chain armor on first trip back. second trip i finish sunfire and get merc treads. Really tanky and can clear creep waves and push towers super fast. Then depending on team comp i either start building damage or go full tank items.

Even if you go pure dps, you shouldn't be dying 'a lot'. Be mindful of your passive, try not drawing creep aggro so you can get regen ticks in between harassment. Don't be shy of using your courage and silence and running away if the enemy gets the jump on you. If there isn't anything that needs to be last hit, jump in a bush and hope someone comes to face check the bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom