• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
FlightOfHeaven said:
I bought Garen recently, and thought about using him.

Got any general recommendations, Halycon?
Glorious Tank Master Race:

Boots + 3 Pots -or- Regrowth Pendant + 1 Pot
Giant's Belt
Merc Treads or Boots 3
Sunfire Cape
Force of Nature -or- Randuin's

Filthy Bruiser Peasant:

Boots + 3 Pots (Aggressive) -or- Regrowth Pendant + 1 Pot (Defensive)
Brutalizer
Merc Treads or Boots 3
Youmuu's Ghostblade
Bloodthirster -or- Frozen Mallet

For best results, mix and match these two styles. Generally, anything that works on Jarven (mana regen excluded) works on Garen

iamblades

FlightOfHeaven said:
I bought Garen recently, and thought about using him.

Got any general recommendations, Halycon?

get a ghostblade for CDR, and you can spin all day. :D

Haly's detailed builds above are 100% correct.

Halycon said:
Glorious Tank Master Race:

Boots + 3 Pots -or- Regrowth Pendant + 1 Pot
Giant's Belt
Merc Treads or Boots 3
Sunfire Cape
Force of Nature -or- Randuin's

Filthy Bruiser Peasant:

Boots + 3 Pots (Aggressive) -or- Regrowth Pendant + 1 Pot (Defensive)
Brutalizer
Merc Treads or Boots 3
Youmuu's Ghostblade
Bloodthirster -or- Frozen Mallet

For best results, mix and match these two styles. Generally, anything that works on Jarven (mana regen excluded) works on Garen

SQUEAL

Although, are you sure about that?

Haly

Garen is basically Jarven without the tank tools (stun, shield, initiation) and more DPS (silence strike, spin2win and instagib ult). That is not to say they play the same but item wise they are very similar.

Blizzard

Banned
Is it true that Garen is weak towards the end of the game as suggested?

Also, I'm now level 30. I figure that means I'm now pro! (unfortunately I still seem to be terrible with negative ratios at most all champions, so meh)

Haly

Yes, Garen's time to shine is during 1-10ish.

But he can still scale into late game, better than Jarven can.

iamblades

Blizzard said:
Is it true that Garen is weak towards the end of the game as suggested?

Also, I'm now level 30. I figure that means I'm now pro! (unfortunately I still seem to be terrible with negative ratios at most all champions, so meh)

He actually scales really well for a tanky dps. As he's not a pure hard carry, he's not the very strongest champ late game, but he's not weak late game either.

Halycon said:
Garen is basically Jarven without the tank tools (stun, shield, initiation) and more DPS (silence strike, spin2win and instagib ult). That is not to say they play the same but item wise they are very similar.

Ok, so here's my Jarvan build, simplified

Stone
Wriggle's
Boots
---
Aggressive
Cleaver
Mallet
Banshee
Atmas
---
Defensive
Trinity
GA
Banshees
Cleaver
---

So you're telling me that these builds will work on Garen? : /

Haly

Replace Trinity Force with Youmuu and you'd be fine.
ibkAmU4A3r9zNf.png

Here I went Brutalizer -> Giant's belt -> Youmuu's -> Chainmail. It's a pretty basic build all things considered. I was planning to stack armor because their Vlad is worthless.

iamblades

FlightOfHeaven said:
Ok, so here's my Jarvan build, simplified

Stone
Wriggle's
Boots
---
Aggressive
Cleaver
Mallet
Banshee
Atmas
---
Defensive
Trinity
GA
Banshees
Cleaver
---

So you're telling me that these builds will work on Garen? : /

Aside from the triforce, all those items work fine on Garen.

Not what I would consider ideal, but I don't consider those items ideal on Jarvan either.

Haly

Sunfire is the core item in 90% of my tank builds, so I have to agree those items feel a bit "out there" for Jarven. I mean, for a defensive build you don't even get any HP until after TriForce?

I readily admit my build isn't a) normal b) optimal, but it works for me so far.

Trinity Force gives him some HP, and Wriggles + Merc Treads (if he gets them) give him some survivability. Banshees gives added health and magres.

He becomes this tank with 1.6 AS, 397-416 MS, 217 AD, 15%-35+% Crit, 150+ Arm/MagRes, 18% LS and 3k~ HP.

That's... kinda scary, don't you think?

Not to mention other GAF members have had success with my build.

I am totally open to ideas for a final late game item to replace Wriggle's or Cleaver, though.

Blackface

Banned
Rocksolid just completely embarresed CLG.

They also single-handily changed the NA meta game. GP/AD carry bot, Phx Udry with no madreds jungle, Kat shitting on Ryze mid. WUT?

People not really going tanks, just tanky dps that can bump out tons of damage.

wtf is even happening.

Ferny

Crazy, crazy game! They had all three of our inhibs down but we managed to get a crazy team fight win and then it snowballed into victory from there.

jWStB.jpg

Haly

Blackface said:
They also single-handily changed the NA meta game. GP/AD carry bot, Phx Udry with no madreds jungle, Kat shitting on Ryze mid. WUT?
Well, Jwong vindicated it seems.

Where are these games being streamed? I'm bored and I want to watch.

Ferny

I have been trying it for a couple games and it's been working out well. I threw on a Warmogs towards the end for shits and giggles.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Halycon said:
Sunfire is the core item in 90% of my tank builds, so I have to agree those items feel a bit "out there" for Jarven. I mean, for a defensive build you don't even get any HP until after TriForce?
My tank/damage builds with Jarv and other AD/Tanks don't drastically differ too much. Its basically dependent on who their AP carries are and how much I need to tank.

Only two pure AD items I normally get are either Ghostblade or Atmas. Rest is normally tank gear/heavy defensive/or HP.

Blackface

Banned
Halycon said:
Well, Jwong vindicated it seems.

Where are these games being streamed? I'm bored and I want to watch.

Own3d.tv

Although I watch it through solomid.net (you can also go to clgaming.net).

You can watch it via a few streams.

The ESL stream, which has commentating by Colby and Dyrus

The players who are actually playing, as they often stream the games.

Or Dyrus stream, which is the same as the ESL stream, but Dyrus POV and shitty quality lol.

Right now TSM is facing off against Rock Solid. TSM killed TreeEskimo's team, Rock Solid killed CLG. Now they face each-other.

CLG is now in the loser bracket.

It's prety cool now that they handed out the new client(less bugs) and have a specific server just for competitive games.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, I got my Caitlyn skin. Bought one of three copies at Wal-mart and got lucky. Sadly it didn't seem to have a TF2 hat.

I was sad because one of our very own GAFfers apparently wrote down four codes, only one of them worked, and they didn't even buy any of them. So three people screwed them over, they screwed over someone else, thus being PART OF THE PROBLEM.

People make me so sad. =(

Goon Boon

Banned
Blizzard said:
Well, I got my Caitlyn skin. Bought one of three copies at Wal-mart and got lucky. Sadly it didn't seem to have a TF2 hat.

I was sad because one of our very own GAFfers apparently wrote down four codes, only one of them worked, and they didn't even buy any of them. So three people screwed them over, they screwed over someone else, thus being PART OF THE PROBLEM.

People make me so sad. =(
I blame PC gamer for this shit. No wrap, no scratch off card, nothing to stop people from avoiding taking out a code or identifying if a code was taken out.

Haly

There needs to be some kind of limit on pick ban duration.

Blackface

Banned
Halycon said:
There needs to be some kind of limit on pick ban duration.

RS played TSM in 10 scrims and beat them 9 times. So TSM knows exactly who to ban and who not to. TSM I think might win simply because of the team comp.

They get dominated three games in a row by RS when RS used an Akali, Katarina combo.

Haly

Rambo is the perfect name for such a crazy Maokai player.

Blizzard

Banned
Goon Boon said:
I blame PC gamer for this shit. No wrap, no scratch off card, nothing to stop people from avoiding taking out a code or identifying if a code was taken out.
Oh I agree with this, the honor system just doesn't work. It's sad but scratchoff or shrinkwrap would have definitely been better.

Haly

Incoming Talon spam in Ranked.

"GUYS IT'S TOTALLY VIABLE I SAW RS ON A STREAM BRO"

Blackface

Banned
ShadyMilkman said:
That was looking really bad in the beginning with Reginald's Brand getting a quick 6 kills.

Then, well

I am saying right now, TheOddOne is a big reason they are losing. His style does not suit a jungler. He plays a support jungler. He needs to be more agressive. He needs to be able to lay down damage or initiate. He doesn't do either.

He also COMPLETELY failed his ult at the last big team fight on the inner-mid turret. It wasn't even close. (He was on Nunu)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Halycon said:
Incoming Talon spam in Ranked.

"GUYS IT'S TOTALLY VIABLE I SAW RS ON A STREAM BRO"
I just had one in my ranked game that almost backdoored everything at once. It was pretty cool until we lost.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dance In My Blood said:
I just had one in my ranked game that almost backdoored everything at once. It was pretty cool until we lost.
Could have a Sivir who keeps calling everyone idiots... who managed to backdoor a single turret in a 40-45 minute game. And only participated in one team fight.

LCGeek

formerly sane
FlightOfHeaven said:
I readily admit my build isn't a) normal b) optimal, but it works for me so far.

Trinity Force gives him some HP, and Wriggles + Merc Treads (if he gets them) give him some survivability. Banshees gives added health and magres.

He becomes this tank with 1.6 AS, 397-416 MS, 217 AD, 15%-35+% Crit, 150+ Arm/MagRes, 18% LS and 3k~ HP.

That's... kinda scary, don't you think?

Not to mention other GAF members have had success with my build.

I am totally open to ideas for a final late game item to replace Wriggle's or Cleaver, though.

My only suggestion would be last whisper as it's the only item that will reduce their armor more and be worth bang for buck. Last whisper is also better once they have a high amount of armor. Last Whisper is also cheaper than cleaver.

Gez said:
How about no?

If you're one of the people that do this, please allow me to kick you in the balls. Winning team fights consistently only to go back to chase a Yi that's just downed a tower and inhibitor, and have this happen multiple times, is the fucking definition of UN-FUN.

And parking someone in base this time isn't an option.

Card Boy

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
If you're one of the people that do this, please allow me to kick you in the balls. Winning team fights consistently only to go back to chase a Yi that's just downed a tower and inhibitor, and have this happen multiple times, is the fucking definition of UN-FUN.

Warwick can do 80% extra attack speed aswell like Master Yi and Hunters Call isn't even an ultimate and it goes on teammates.

Nunu's Blood Boil does 65%.

Grakl

FlightOfHeaven said:

But this is all Yi is good for. He's fine.

Uchip

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:

fortify should not be a summoner spell and should be a universal ability like HoN

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Uchip said:
fortify should not be a summoner spell and should be a universal ability like HoN

I kinda agree, there is counter for everything, except for backdoor and flash.

Stupid flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom