• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

Halycon said:
Karma.

HURR HURR HURR DERP.

Or Olaf.

Riven still looks fun though. Gonna buy her and try her out.

oh shit, forgot about Karma. I'm surprised Moody doesn't love Tremble, tremble is probably too mainstream for him though.

I don't even play League anymore, so sad. :(

Neki

Nome said:
He's severely underrated actually. A lot of competitive players already think he's viable.
I just don't like the idea of mounds being easily destroyed. :( or at the very least, people going into your web to see you. I don't think League would ever implement such a hero though, seems like it'd be against their design policy, lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ultimoo said:
I just don't like the idea of mounds being easily destroyed. :( or at the very least, people going into your web to see you. I don't think League would ever implement such a hero though, seems like it'd be against their design policy, lol.
You should see ERWINZOR's Tremble. He is so scary. But yeah, Tremble with LoL's control scheme is laughable. Not to mention Antifun.

Nome

Ultimoo said:
Shit, he's against our own design policy too. I've always felt a bit upset about releasing him early (by my standards).

Anyway, just watched Riven spotlight. I feel like this champ is going to run into the exact same problems we ran into with Monkey King.
-Ridiculously difficult to balance.
-Poor skill:reward ratios.

Basically, if you make the skill:reward ratio too low, the champ risks being overshadowed by more traditional, basic DPS alternatives. On the other hand, if the skill:reward ratio is too high, you end up having the champ being picked ubiquitously at high levels, and coupled with the high mobility, makes it a bit of a problem.

I don't know how LoL's balancing works, but for HoN we try to address balance concerns only at the competitive level while design concerns (ie, something is "annoying") address all levels of play. For Monkey King in particular, we've held back on buffing him more because in the hands of a good player, he can be close to unstoppable. I know competitors aren't using him right now because melee carries are a bit meta'd out and he's too risky of a pickup.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Nome, keep posting, it's interesting.

I really, really want to get Riven right off the bat, but I'm nervous...

Also, I'm still able to log on even AFTER the patch!

OH HO HO

IsayFever

@Rayven - Can you drop a suggestion to the champ team to just remove skarner from the game? He's useless in every situation. There is not a single redeeming thing about this champion. Where can I put in a ticket to request an rp refund for this useless piece of shit champ?

Oh, nice. Good job, Riot, this is the kind of thing I like to see.

Tamat said:
Greetings Summoners!

Last week we announced the imminent closure of the Mac beta for League of Legends after months of searching for a solution that would allow us to release on the Mac with a service comparable to what we offer existing PC users. We’ve been reading your feedback and understand your concerns. We’d like to clarify two aspects of our announcement which have been at the core of most player feedback and questions:

RP Refund Program
In the coming weeks we will be sending out an email to those who have purchased RP within the Mac client with instructions on how you can get the money used to purchase RP refunded in exchange for removing all items purchased with RP and any remaining RP balance that came from an RP purchase. Additionally, we will not be closing the account you played on! It’s your account after all, leveled with the determination of hours on Summoner’s Rift, so it’s yours to keep. We’re already hard at work on a new Mac client and though it will take some time to complete, we want to make sure that Mac users can return to their accounts when we’re ready to begin Mac testing once again.

Champions Bundle Reward for Mac Beta Testers
All players who had a majority of their logins through the Mac client will automatically have the Champions Bundle added into their accounts in the coming weeks. Players who did not get a chance to login to the Mac Client and click on the store button in the week leading up to September 6 need not worry, as our intention is to provide this reward to all players who actively helped us during the beta test period.

We know how many of you want to enjoy League of Legends on the Mac, and we’re determined to make that possible long term. Thanks for your patience as we reinvent our Mac client.

Haly

Jarvan IV

Added a targeting ring to Cataclysm
WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT

Riven isn't nearly as complicated as Monkey King. Her mobility, while higher than what LoL players are used to, is still manageable and predictable. Whereas with Monkey king, if your target so much as twitches your leap can go in a completely different direction.

red13th

You typically want Atma's on characters whose baseline skill damage can push them through that damage void when you're building up survivability (like how Nocturne has 70,000 free attack damage and how Lee Sin deals 10% of your missing health, etc.)

LOL I fucking love Xypherous.

Neki

IsayFever said:
@Rayven - Can you drop a suggestion to the champ team to just remove skarner from the game? He's useless in every situation. There is not a single redeeming thing about this champion. Where can I put in a ticket to request an rp refund for this useless piece of shit champ?
I could have told you Skarner was useless by the champion spotlight. he is a terrible version of bat rider, because bat rider actually has dps.

Haly

I was misled. Jarven's ult can't be aimed at the ground :(

It just means, when you hover over a hero, it shows where the ult pops up.

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

Haly

Ultimoo said:
why would you target it at the ground anyways? sounds like griefing, and league hates griefing.
So I can aim my ult perfectly instead of hoping for their team to clump together like balls of baking soda in soup.

League also hates precision.

Ultimoo said:
why would you target it at the ground anyways? sounds like griefing, and league hates griefing.

I could think of a good reason. If you're on the run, and bringing up the rear as a tank, you could ult in key bottlenecks and Standard -> Spear your way out of the ult. You'd make an impassable ring for 4 seconds while your team continues to flee.

Neki

yeah, but then you could ultimate yourself in fountain and block your team mates.

and that's a big no no in league.

that is anti-fun.

league hates anti-fun. that's why league has no abilities that can move or block your team mates purposefully, unless you're near enemies.

Nome

Halycon said:
WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT

Riven isn't nearly as complicated as Monkey King. Her mobility, while higher than what LoL players are used to, is still manageable and predictable. Whereas with Monkey king, if your target so much as twitches your leap can go in a completely different direction.
Riven and (HoN's) Monkey King actually have a lot in common, especially since both were apparently inspired by fighting game mechanics.

When I designed Monkey King, I made it very clear from the outset that abilities would be very distinct; you have Q being the dash, W being the leap (it was a shoryuken in closed beta, complete with the sound lol), and E being the slam. There was a very particular rhyme and reason to each ability, particularly in which order you'd want to use them in. I felt that this was needed, so that while experienced players could combo the abilities together in whatever way they wanted to fit the situation on the fly, a new player could still string together something impressive just by doing Q/W/E/W with good success each time. It's also a "true combo" in that once you start it, you don't really need to adapt to on-the-fly change; you can just keep your mouse cursor on top of your target and continue clicking. That's also why I specifically made the second Q dash on Monkey King automatically activate; so new players didn't have to mind a timer to trigger it, while more experienced players who want total control are still able to trigger it early if they wish.

With Riven, it seems a lot more difficult for new players to really build a single routine combo. Now, I haven't played the champ yet, and probably won't until it goes on rotation, so this is all speculation based on the video. It seems to me that the optimal damage combo here would be something like R to start, then Q/W/Q/Q/R, with autoattacks interspersed between, possibly a E somewhere too to catch up. It's going to be a lot worse because Q and E are somewhat indistinct; both are dashes, both take you to your mouse location, and the champ already seems like an APM monster. I can tell there was some convergent thinking on the ultimate too; with Monkey King, it was decided midway through development that the basic three abilities were more than enough to keep players mentally occupied; the addition of a fourth ability would be way too much, which is why we settled on a passive in the end. With Riven, it seems they went the same path... sorta.

It's also kind of interesting that the fastest way to move, given a lack of mana problems, would be to Q/Q/Q/E repeatedly. With Monkey King, the fastest way to move would be to Q/E/W repeatedly.

Boken

Banned
Neki stop griefing me please.

Targetable Jarvan ult would make Jarvan really strong again.

I have to say, I love the look of Riven's mobility. The design of her W is seriously boring though. AoE with ministun? ok. Sound's exactly like Jax's counter attack.

Don't listen to ultimoo,
He's bad.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Ultimoo said:
. that's why league has no abilities that can move or block your team mates purposefully, unless you're near enemies.
What.

spell_381.jpg

spell_62.jpg

spell_467.jpg

Neki

Door2Dawn said:

You can grip your own allies with skarner? He's moved up a couple of tiers because of that. I mean something more along the lines of a devourer hook, or a nymphora teleport. that is an ability that will physically move your allied hero, regardless of what they think. blocking doesn't move your hero really, just restricts it temporarily. I shouldn't have said blocking, blocking isn't as a big deal as some of the other stuff people could do.

Haly

Ophelia port. Can't block it.

Gladiator Arenas someone who tped. LOLOLOL.

Playing Riven right now. Will be back with verdict.

First thought: Riven is kawaii uguu~

Neki

Halycon said:
Ophelia port. Can't block it.

Gladiator Arenas someone who tped. LOLOLOL.

Playing Riven right now. Will be back with verdict.

god damn, I have to play Gladiator today when I get home now.

Rokal

Nome said:
Anyway, just watched Riven spotlight. I feel like this champ is going to run into the exact same problems we ran into with Monkey King.
-Ridiculously difficult to balance.
-Poor skill:reward ratios.

Basically, if you make the skill:reward ratio too low, the champ risks being overshadowed by more traditional, basic DPS alternatives. On the other hand, if the skill:reward ratio is too high, you end up having the champ being picked ubiquitously at high levels, and coupled with the high mobility, makes it a bit of a problem.

This is pretty much the boat that Lee-sin is in. In the right hands, he's extremely powerful. In average hands he's pretty terrible compared to basic DPS alternatives. They could buff him so that the average player has an easier time handling him, but it would make him over-powered in high-skill environments.

I love the concepts of these high-mobility combo characters. The Monkey King HoN spotlight made the champion seem more interesting/innovative than anything in LoL, but as a fairly average player these types of champions underperform. I gave up on Lee-Sin after playing him heavily for ~2 weeks because, even though I was getting better with playing him and I felt like I had some really amazing plays, I was still less effective than I'd be playing a simpler champion.

I'll probably pick up Riven tonight because she looks really fun, but I expect I'll be shelving her in the long-term.

Haly

Second thought:
Running back and forth between the first towers in mid, with 395 ms.

There is some delay between her Qs where you can click to move a little bit. Think of it like wavedashing. If you don't right click something, the distance you can travel with Q is dramatically lower. In fact, QQQ + click is 0.5-1 seconds slower than just moving.

Q + Click + QQ + Click is, on the other hand, only marginally faster than just moving. As a distance closer, while Q does give you a tiny edge, is almost insignificant.

E + Q + Click + QQ is about 1 seconds faster than without E.

To summarize:
Distance: From first mid tower to second mid tower
Click: ~4.5 seconds
QQQ+Click: ~5 Seconds
Q+Click+Q+Click+Q+Click: ~4.5 seconds, but a bit more than just clicking.
E+Q+Click+Q+Click+Q+Click: ~3-3.5 seconds.

Blizzard

Banned
Nome said:
He's a farming monster with a global AoE ult, 'nuff said :p
But what really breaks him is Remove Scurvy. You can even remove Warwick's Infinite Duress... D:
The healing/escape is nice, but smart players will wait until you use it and then stun you (20-second cooldown time, not sure what it's minimum is, maybe 7-12 seconds with max CDR and full level?), and if it's someone like Annie, you probably won't be able to move quickly enough to escape the first stun and move before the remaining spells burst you. If it's a ranged character they may also get some autoattacks on you in the process.

Regarding being a farming monster, I get avarice blade for gold and I last hit with parley for bonus gold, but the only other way he can farm is using the ult, sunfire cloak (no one does this, right?), or autoattacks. If he autoattacks minions, that means anyone with range should be able to autoattack him in return while being out of melee range. Parley does get down to 3-4 seconds cooldown but most ranged champions should be able to autoattack more than once in 3-4 seconds.

If he has items and no one is defending the minions then he can kill them quickly by autoattacking, sure.

Haly

Blizzard one of these days I'll play with you to show you what you're doing wrong with GP/Garen.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Halycon said:
Blizzard one of these days I'll play with you to show you what you're doing wrong with GP/Garen.
DEMACIA!

Honestly, if you aren't playing Garen or Jarv while shouting Demacia, you are playing them wrong. Don't even waste your time trying to poke at them. You get everything ready and go all out once every 20 seconds, and just reset it again.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
FlightOfHeaven said:
Well, we have a private server.

lolgaf.mumble.com

There's another server that hosts all of GAF, but I forget what it is.
chi.eoreality.net at port 64739. It is the one I normally am in.

Macattk15

Ultimoo said:
carry our HON IH games next time with Tremble and then we can talk. :D

I don't play IH anymore because there are a bunch of toolsheds who play IH. I'm in the 1700s ... I've still carried with Tremble in games.

And what did they do to Sion? Mana changes ... I never really had much of a mana problem on him with the right runes and items.

Macattk15

Ferrio said:
Bough riven, of course I can't use her since they disabled single custom games and it's a fight to pick her first.

Play with a group of friends! I just went 11-4 with her my first time playing. Seems kind of OP.

Swag

Macattk15 said:
I don't play IH anymore because there are a bunch of toolsheds who play IH. I'm in the 1700s ... I've still carried with Tremble in games.
Must be talking about Puppetyuber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom