• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
So... am I stupid for just following the 'recommended' items list all the time?

Its just easier >.>

What would be nice is being able to load popular loadouts. Based on ratings in the forum or wikia or whatev!

Somax

iamblades said:
I'm more sad about sunfire cape being unique.

I miss sunfire shaco. :p

I don't understand hoe the alistar ended up with two thornmails and no other items at all. Not even boots or a faerie charm or anything.. What did he start with? cloth armor? lol

Sold everything at the end, probably. Some people do it for some laughs or to hide their final item build.
Or he was just trolling.

Rokal

iamblades said:
I'm more sad about sunfire cape being unique.

IpZaP.png

Ark

markot[B said:
]So... am I stupid for just following the 'recommended' items list all the time?[/B]

Yes.

Man I want a good support character to play. What do people think about Rammus, Taric and Nidalee in terms of tankiness/support/damage respectively.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Keiician said:
It's great that the Kayle skin they gave out to everyone who played at least 10 games during season 1 (not limited to ranked) is the best one.

Whaaaaaaaaat : ( Battleborn Kayle looks like Breath of Fire 2 Nina it is like the best skin in the game.

Ark

markot said:
I love tyrnd, playing him like a mental is so much fun ^_^

*gets to low hp*

UNDYING RAGE

*gets to low hp 3 seconds later*

UNDYING RAGE

That thing has a stupid cooldown >_>

markot

Banned
Yeah, I hate facing him with a good player, undying rage is soooo annoying, just like that stupid bird egg >.>, but he is fun to play.

Blizzard

Banned
I bought Trynd and tried him in bot games. I was like, UNDYING RAGE

*chases enemy for 3 seconds under tower*

*dies*

I was not very good.

markot said:
Yeah, I hate facing him with a good player, undying rage is soooo annoying, just like that stupid bird egg >.>, but he is fun to play.

I played against a really good Trynd the other day and he told me he had full crit runes. He melted my team like it was nothing.

Ark

Ferny73 said:
Woot Normal queue with Draft mode. It would be cool to have that as an everyday option.

What is draft mode?

e0Pcv.png

My first game with Taric :lol

The game started off fairly average, we were being pushed back the entire time, at one point they managed to take our top & bottom turrets and inhibs, and almost one of the nexus turrets, but I became unkillable (can you say 3k health? :eek:) and we just snowballed from there.

markot

Banned
Draft mode is when you can ban picks that your opponents can make, and you cant have 1 of the same dude on both sides. Its for competitions mainly >.> (At least it was in the DOTA2 international thingy)

(When picking champions at the start)

Valygar

I was playing a game with my friends (all level 30). One ALWAYS plays with kog'maw, but this time he finally decides to try another hero. I suggest Gangplank-jungle, but he goes nocturne jungling.

My team: Alistar(solo top)-Anivia(mid)-Nocturne(jungle)-Taric ( that was me) and Sivir both bot.

Enemy team: Soraka (go afk at minute 1), Sona (solo top), Olaf (mid) , Taric and Janna (bot).

I was like lol, easy win. Our usual Teamspeak was gone and we were doing a Google+ hangout to substitute. NEVER AGAIN.

After 5 minutes one of us (Anivia) falls from G+. He starts feeding Olaf, his LoL was running at 12 fps and he couldn't do shit. Noc Jungle is fine, but he does not know how to do the ulti so he doesnt do any gank. Sivir starts going crazy and focusing the wrong hero all the time, causing us to go tie in bot. Finally, G+ explodes and we slowly come back to our usual TS that is not working well (but Sivir decides not to)

After minute 20, Olaf was 6/0/2 and we were losing 2-10 or something like that. None of the carrys or anivia had enough farm to shut down olaf, and instead of playing better my friends start to play worse.

At the end, we were 6-24 at kills or something like that, all their team 15+ (Olaf 18) and we were 10-14.

It was a hell of a game, I think the one playing Sivir might uninstall the game now. Me, I'm not sure but I'm thinking on it.

At least now we know how important is communication.

Ark

Valygar said:
At least now we know how important is communication.

You know you can just type & ping and have the same effectiveness as if you were on TS.

Just get pro at typing & pinging ;)

Boken

Banned
Ark said:
You know you can just type & ping and have the same effectiveness as if you were on TS.

Just get pro at typing & pinging ;)
The thing is, if youre in a 5 man premade team, chances are the opponents are also a 5 man premade. Voice chat is just overall much more effective and efficient than typing which just puts you at a disadvantage in teamwork.

Blizzard

Banned
inky said:
I've never seen a team (mine or enemy) lose with Olaf.
One of the GAF people did really well with Olaf, but then died a bunch in another game. I'm not sure if it was their fault or not, but I guess it can vary pretty widely.

Also I still like Sivir, but even I will admit she might have been part of the reason you lost. ;p

Rapstah

I've only played this game for two or three days now but holy shit is Yog'Maw fun to play with. With the suggested item set he outruns everything, outranges everything (in lowest level bot matches that is) and can fuck any lane over if he's left in it without any enemies for a minute at level 15+. Amazing.

inky

Nvm, an Olaf just died 8 times in a game -.-

And I've said it before and I'll say it again. Can't mid against Cait, simply cant. Worse is when Ashe or another Cait expects me to. Ugh.

Blizzard

Banned
Boken said:
She most likely didn't know how to lane against Vlad.
Nor do I! Of course I was complaining about Annie killing me, and then someone did damage to Annie with Caitlyn so I just concluded I suck.

I think when I asked about Caitlyn vs. Vlad, since with a doran's blade Vlad seemed to be healing back as much damage as I would do to him, people said to either try to get him before level 6 or give up basically?

Ferrio

Banned
SamVimes said:
@Ferrio: are the inventories bugged?

Huh?

Oh wow I see what you mean... IE on annie... wtf. Just health on jax...

les papillons sexuels said:
just had a great game with riven, seems like tanky dps is the way to go, building into a atma's then a warmogs at some point.

Ya i'm starting to go mallet->atmas.

Boken

Banned
Blizzard said:
I think when I asked about Caitlyn vs. Vlad, since with a doran's blade Vlad seemed to be healing back as much damage as I would do to him, people said to either try to get him before level 6 or give up basically?
In a nutshell, yeah. Just beat him early. If you can zone him, he will be behind in levels and gold so it'll be easy laning~

I like boots+3 pots for soloing, personally. But either way, your early game is so much stronger than his. His auto attack range is abysmal, even his Q range is less than your auto attack. Abuse the fact that you're stronger.
- Don't push minions to his tower because then he can try to spam Q to regain health.
- Last hit only and punish him for trying to come in to last hit. Even if you take the more passive route, he should only be able to farm with his Q (it has a pretty big cooldown early game)
- You can also play aggressively with traps - keep him out of last hit range of minions and place yourself in between his minions and him. If he walks in, auto attack him and then Q. (make sure you to play more carefully around level 5 - this is jungler gank time).

Blizzard

Banned
Boken said:
- Last hit only and punish him for trying to come in to last hit. Even if you take the more passive route, he should only be able to farm with his Q (it has a pretty big cooldown early game)
Is he ranged? His life-suck attack is also ranged, right? And if I'm coming in for a last hit, I'm going to be at the end of my ranged distance, and he'll be on the opposite side of the minions at the end of his ranged distance, meaning I'll have like double range to try to touch him. Do you mean I should stay closer to the minions?

Boken

Banned
Blizzard said:
Is he ranged? His life-suck attack is also ranged, right? And if I'm coming in for a last hit, I'm going to be at the end of my ranged distance, and he'll be on the opposite side of the minions at the end of his ranged distance, meaning I'll have like double range to try to touch him. Do you mean I should stay closer to the minions?
Don't play at max range against champions you're stronger against (unless you're expecting a gank obviously). Make it easier for yourself to be aggressive if need be. If vlad ever tries to Q a minion, he can't do it to you for 10s! Don't be afraid, be the boss! And if he doesn't use Q on the minions, well his auto attack range is 450 while yours is 650! Your piltover is 1300! Zone him out of Transfuse range with traps! Eventually you should be able to zone him by standing near his minions and threatening a full Q, a trap and several auto attacks.

I like to make them nervous by pacing like this

v<->---<->----<
| xxx
^

This continuously keeps you within range of creeps to farm, and gives you an opportunity to hit them with a 100% Piltover. It also forces their attention to split between last hitting creeps and keeping track of your position at all times.

Blizzard

Banned
Boken said:
Don't play at max range against champions you're stronger against (unless you're expecting a gank obviously). Make it easier for yourself to be aggressive if need be. If vlad ever tries to Q a minion, he can't do it to you for 10s! Don't be afraid, be the boss! And if he doesn't use Q on the minions, well his auto attack range is 450 while yours is 650! Your piltover is 1300! Zone him out of Transfuse range with traps! Eventually you should be able to zone him by standing near his minions and threatening a full Q, a trap and several auto attacks.
I hardly ever seem to hit piltovers either.

I just played a Kassadin and was horrible. My team saved me from losing. I have no clue how to combat him. He would just run at me until I was back at the tower so he could farm the minions and I would get no XP, or else I would stand my ground and shoot him, at which point he would hit me for 1-2 attacks that would do 20%-40%-50% of my HP. 200 damage starting out, maybe 600+ damage in a burst later on by the time he got the smallest magic rod and sorcerer boots and doran's ring.

He can also teleport outside of piltover range, and hits me for crazy slow + silence, which even if I could deal as much damage as he dishes out, leaves me completely open for ganks.

How do you combat him just running at you and outdamaging you at level 1-6? Later on I was outleveled and had killed hardly any minions so I did even less damage.

*edit* The really sad part is that according to the internet, Caitlyn is supposed to be great against Kassadin. But with lots of runes, 21 attack masteries, and a doran's blade, I feel almost certain that my autoattacks did hardly any damage against him. He would hit me for 20-30% of my health in one attack -- should doran's vs doran's be able to outdamage him with like 0.7 attack speed in return, even if he keeps meleeing me? The piltover did decent damage, but it has a cooldown and is really hard to land unless he's trapped (and he has no need to be trapped since he can just teleport over your traps).

Macattk15

So towards the end of my last game as AD Sion ... big team fight ... other team kills off 3 of my team members ... then turns to me 3v1 in mid.

Akali, Galio and Teemo.

I proceed to kill all 3 with my ult on with them all wondering what the fuck was going on in all chat after their deaths ... I had Trinity Force and Atma's with like 3.3k HP ...

Akali even said they were gonna go buy Sion now.

Was hilarious.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ferrio said:
Riven is redeemed!
Not really, our opponent sucked

2me97hh.jpg
How are none of them above 14? You know, if Annie has an IE, the entire team was likely trolling, was there any failed surrender votes?

Ark

Blizzard said:
*edit* The really sad part is that according to the internet, Caitlyn is supposed to be great against Kassadin. But with lots of runes, 21 attack masteries, and a doran's blade, I feel almost certain that my autoattacks did hardly any damage against him. He would hit me for 20-30% of my health in one attack -- should doran's vs doran's be able to outdamage him with like 0.7 attack speed in return, even if he keeps meleeing me? The piltover did decent damage, but it has a cooldown and is really hard to land unless he's trapped (and he has no need to be trapped since he can just teleport over your traps).

You need to time your passive correctly. Try to harass your opponent when your passive is at six stacks whenever possible.

Also, try and find the champion you play the best with. Not the champion you enjoy playing the most or like the most, but the champion you are play best with and learn why you play best with that champion, and then find similar champions around that champion.

You always seem to be really hard on yourself, which is wrong. I already know my role, because I went through that process with WoW (WoW and LoL are so surprisingly similar to me). I know that I play best when either supporting the team, or carrying the team.

Playing a carry in LoL isn't much fun imo. They pretty much all have the same build and nine times out of ten, you're super squishy. Usually I prefer to play the healer class or such, although due to the play LoL mechanics work playing a healer really isn't any fun, in fact it feels counter productive to me. Therefore that leaves me with tanking support, which I love[/b] at the moment. Irelia is pretty much my perfect tanky-dps champion and pretty much takes the role of my main champion, and Taric now takes the role of my dedicated support-tank champion.

Blizzard

Banned
Ark said:
You need to time your passive correctly. Try to harass your opponent when your passive is at six stacks whenever possible.

[snip]
Thanks for the advice. I guess partly I try to be extra hard on myself since other people sometimes complain about me a great deal, so I feel bad if I die since I feel like I'm feeding etc. In a tank or healer role people may complain even more since you can get blamed for not tanking/healing enough if someone dies.

Most of the champions I own and play seem to be very squishy. Garen might be the only tanky dps person I've bought. I have enough IP to buy Olaf, and I could try making him tanky, but then again perhaps I should save up to 6300 IP. I like Talon.

Ark

Blizzard said:
Thanks for the advice. I guess partly I try to be extra hard on myself since other people sometimes complain about me a great deal, so I feel bad if I die since I feel like I'm feeding etc. In a tank or healer role people may complain even more since you can get blamed for not tanking/healing enough if someone dies.

Most of the champions I own and play seem to be very squishy. Garen might be the only tanky dps person I've bought. I have enough IP to buy Olaf, and I could try making him tanky, but then again perhaps I should save up to 6300 IP. I like Talon.

If people complain about you, ask them what you could do to improve. Chances are they'll just call you a complete knobhead wanker, beacuse that's just how the LoL community works, but sometimes it'll pay off.

It's a shame LoL is region locked (I want to burn whoever came up with the genius idea of region locking on PC) because at least then I'd be able to give you some advice personally.

Not that I'm implying I'm some sort of LoL-god of course, just that I like giving advice :D

Blizzard

Banned
Ark said:
If people complain about you, ask them what you could do to improve. Chances are they'll just call you a complete knobhead wanker, beacuse that's just how the LoL community works, but sometimes it'll pay off.
I try to listen to what people say, but the problem which may even show itself in this thread is that people may say directly contradictory things, or say something would have acted out in a different way in the past.

For an example of different things, I think I've had one person say you should always get boots + potions for mid/solo, and someone else say you should always get dorans and try to farm boots. Obviously I can't take both pieces of advice, so I try to listen to both sides and build on my own experiences.

Now, one problem with farming boots is that if I can't clear the entire middle and rush back to base, my tower may have 1/5 of its health gone by the time I get back. The way to prevent this would presumably be to ask a teammate to hold the mid tower, but how many times will someone be able to do that? I think I asked if someone could hold mid once and they told me mid doesn't work like that. X_X

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
FutureZombie said:
As a caster, do you only want magic penetration once the enemy is getting magic resist items? Or is it beneficial at all times?
All heroes start with the same MR, this is a flat value and doesn't increase without items/spells/runes/masteries. Usually, if no one is getting magic resist items, a single Sorceror's Shoes is enough, as it will let you punch through a respectable portion of base MR.

Halycon said:
All heroes start with the same MR, this is a flat value and doesn't increase without items/spells/runes/masteries. Usually, if no one is getting magic resist items, a single Sorceror's Shoes is enough, as it will let you punch through a respectable portion of base MR.

Thanks, Haly!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
FutureZombie said:
As a caster, do you only want magic penetration once the enemy is getting magic resist items? Or is it beneficial at all times?
It is actually better to have flat Magic Penetration when the enemy has no Magic Resist items. If the enemy has the defalut 30 MR, and 20MP from the Sorceress Boots will bring them down to effectively 10MR.

The formula to calculate Magic Damage is:
Base Damage * 100/(100 + MR)

If they have a lot of MR, get Percent Based MR Reduction (Void Staff).

Also, it should be noted that MP can't take MR below zero, but Magic Resistance Reduction (Like Soraka's Q) can take it below zero. Magic Resistance Reduction is calculated first though, so it is something that doesn't come up very often. (If it goes below zero though, magic attacks will actually do more)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
vOELx.jpg

My first PVP game with my newb friends. It was an interesting game. (And the Viegar was a smurf so I don't feel guilty for smurfing either)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom