• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

caromelo

Legato.Reborn- said:
It's amazing that no one ever pays attention to the, "UNIQUE, UNIQUE, BEWARE, THIS ITEM HAS A UNIQUE CAPABILITY, IT DOES NOT STACK!"

And then proceeds to get 3 of said item.

That's why you buy one of each to avoid the stack! I've had times when we've been winning convincingly and a win was imminent, so i sold all of my gear and bought every single pair of boots for added speed for funsies. One time though I thought we were on the verge on winning and did the same thing, but they proceeded to foil us taking the inhib and almost come back...I had to resell all my boots and get proper items all over again. :p

EDIT: Ok movement speed for boots don't stack, I must have been high. But my point about selling all my items and buying all boots during a win to troll the other team still stands.

Erasus said:
Seen this great Antiva guide? :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJAN1oDRJpk

Old, but so hilarious

Bought Katarina, but been playing Trist and Rammus now

I like them :D

LVL 12 now

I didn't watch this but I'm assuming its the 'pro' anivia vid that shows how to properly place ice walls. This video got me loling pretty hard. :D I heard he got temporarily IP banned though.

NeoCross

lolkat.jpg

<3 Kat. The other Kat i laned with in mid couldn't keep up and fed me at least 4 times :lol

Oh and Gangplank, fucking crits, crits everywhere.

Finally gave this a decent try after getting bored of HoN.

Cho'gath is pretty amazing for noob stomping from what i've experienced.

2m7btds.jpg

Is he an actual good hero outside of destroying noobs? Blood Hunter is sort of similar to him in HoN I suppose, and while Blood Hunter is hilarious in pubs he is awful against people who know what they're doing. I assume a double mid lane shuts him down pretty bad in mid like Blood Hunter aswell.

Ashe seems sort of awkward. I've played several games as her and generally go fairly positive, but she doesn't seem to be that great at stomping noobs compared to Drow in DOTA or Arachna in HoN. Her ult is really nice though and incredibly easy to aim from across the map. Am I missing something with Ashe? She doesn't seem to have the pure DPS output that Arachna/Drow have.

Blitzcrank is a really nice take on Pudge(Devourer in Hon). His hook feels so much easier to land than Pudges, though you can't hook your allys which is disappointing. He seems to sacrifice Pudge's complete lockdown with the ability to semi carry aswell, which seems nice. Although in every game when some one besides me is playing him they feed so hard, do people actually play him decent at higher levels? Or does he suffer the same fate of eternal feeding like pudge.

That cat druid Nidalee? Is so annoying aswell. She doesn't seem to feel very strong, but she is impossible to chase down and it feels like you can never manage to finish her off. When I played her it seemed like she had a small window in the midgame where she was incredibly strong, but outside of that was just an annoying hero that is frustrating to finish off.

cutebabyelephant said:

2m7btds.jpg

Is he an actual good hero outside of destroying noobs? Blood Hunter is sort of similar to him in HoN I suppose, and while Blood Hunter is hilarious in pubs he is awful against people who know what they're doing. I assume a double mid lane shuts him down pretty bad in mid like Blood Hunter aswell.

Ashe seems sort of awkward. I've played several games as her and generally go fairly positive, but she doesn't seem to be that great at stomping noobs compared to Drow in DOTA or Arachna in HoN. Her ult is really nice though and incredibly easy to aim from across the map. Am I missing something with Ashe? She doesn't seem to have the pure DPS output that Arachna/Drow have.

Blitzcrank is a really nice take on Pudge(Devourer in Hon). His hook feels so much easier to land than Pudges, though you can't hook your allys which is disappointing. He seems to sacrifice Pudge's complete lockdown with the ability to semi carry aswell, which seems nice. Although in every game when some one besides me is playing him they feed so hard, do people actually play him decent at higher levels? Or does he suffer the same fate of eternal feeding like pudge.

That cat druid Nidalee? Is so annoying aswell. She doesn't seem to feel very strong, but she is impossible to chase down and it feels like you can never manage to finish her off. When I played her it seemed like she had a small window in the midgame where she was incredibly strong, but outside of that was just an annoying hero that is frustrating to finish off.

Cho Gath is pretty reliable at a higher level play. He's not a champ that when you see that someone picked him, you start laughing at that person for being an idiot. The only real case I see that is with Evelynn, because she is completely useless once you get to the point where you figure out how to get sight wards or an Oracle potion.

Blitz is a pretty versatile hero that can go either AP, AD, or straight out tank. I find he is best with a bit of everything. He is great for force starting team fights. If the two teams are having a stand off, and he pulls one into your team, the other team either has to abandon that guy, or has to go in after him.

You're pretty much right about Nidalee, she gives you some map control with her traps, her spear is a great harass move, and she is impossible to catch in tiger form. Most games I play with her or against her, she has the least deaths, least kills, but quite a few assists.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Having fun as katarina. It's nice to play a cooldown watching hero again.

All this Katarina talk made me wanna play her a bit more (on top of having the red card Kat skin :p) and I got my first pentakill with her....I had one before with Fiddlesticks and I think Shaco

33urja9.jpg

eznark

Banned
man, i almost feel like I am cheating when I play Zilean. By far the most fun I have had with a character since the patch when they totally changed Kayle...i miss the long, auto target self bubble!

Omfg, it seemedl ike I was the only Kat player for the past two weeks and now everyone is playing her. :lol Btw, just tried that Sorsdfksdfsk whatever her name is. THE mage with 1 heal + mana regen spell are starfall or whatever. Shes fun, I do like no damage but my team never dies and I never run out of mana.

And is it just me or did they rip off a lot of character and design from wow?

I tried a couple practice games of this, I must say last hitting is a lot harder than i would have thought. Doing it when there is a human harassing you must be mildly inconvenient

I've been playing Katarina and Soraka a lot lately. I'm only level 11 though. I can't decide who to train with the most and buy runes for. I want to prefer for higher gameplay.. From what I've seen so far would soraka but the better chracter to stick with? Her full map heal, and single heal just seems so amazing at times.

IcedTea

BloodElfHunter said:
I've been playing Katarina and Soraka a lot lately. I'm only level 11 though. I can't decide who to train with the most and buy runes for. I want to prefer for higher gameplay.. From what I've seen so far would soraka but the better chracter to stick with? Her full map heal, and single heal just seems so amazing at times.
You'll really need to be decent with a handful of champions if you want to play at higher levels. Once you get to 30 and start doing ranked games Soraka is probably going to be banned a lot. I'd recommend just working on a generic rune page that can work well on everyone (maybe something like, flat hp quints, dodge yellows, cooldown reduction blues, and magic pen or armor pen reds). Runes aren't really that important until you start using the level 20 ones though so I wouldn't worry about it too much to start with.

Playing a single champion up to level 20 or 30 might not be the worst idea because during that time you're learning more about the game itself, but knowing how to play other champions will be very important for when you get to ranked games. The most important thing though is knowing what your enemies champs can do as well as you know your own, and the only real way to do that is to just play a ton of games and play a decent variety of the champs yourself.

FWIW, Kat and Soraka are both really solid champs, though, as I mentioned, Soraka tends to get banned a lot in ranked games.

PedroLumpy said:
I tried a couple practice games of this, I must say last hitting is a lot harder than i would have thought. Doing it when there is a human harassing you must be mildly inconvenient
It's one of those things that is kinda tough while you're learning it, but after a few hundred matches it will be completely second nature. You'll be last hitting without even paying attention to it really, which is important because you need to constantly keep your eye on the map to get a handle on what's going on, and to see what your lane enemies are doing and so on.

IcedTea

cutebabyelephant said:

Cho's good. Not great but not bottom tier or anything either. He's okay at mid laning but not great, and better midders will be able to shut him down. He can mid if needed but you'll almost always find someone on your team has a champ better suited for midding.
Ashe is basically a boring ranged dps that happens to have an amazing ult. Her arrow is amazing for teamfight initiations. She's also incredibly hard to kill if played right since she can kite so well. Her actual damage output isn't mind blowing, but if it was she's be pretty overpowered.

Blitzcrank is very weird. When he isn't played great he's probably going to cost your team the game, but if he is played great then he is amazing. Someone who can hook well will be netting your team tons of kills, and make it very difficult for the enemy team to actually fight you 5v5. There's a very large amount of skill that goes into hooking well with him though. Not just the aiming, but the mind games, reading opponent's jukes, knowing when any of them have anti spell abilities up or have good escapes up and not wasting it on them, and so on. Plus you need to have very good positioning... I could go on all day. All in all, Blitz isn't a bad champion, but, like Cho, he won't strike terror into the hearts of good players either.

Yes, annoying about sums it up. She is almost impossible to chase. She was actually recently nerfed. She used to be able to stay in her lane for like 15 mins without having to buy at all and she'd still be capable of dominating against players that had bought. She's probably not that great now, but she's not too bad either.

Blackface

Banned
we just 4v5 some other team. My best game as Kat yet. Towards the end I had a 20 stack of soulstealer and 645 AP. I could have had more but I bought the tooth for reduced cooldowns over scepter or other such items.

Complete face rape, was a fun game. Looked like we were going to lose early also. Then it all kicked in

9e7jw.jpg

Just had a really awesome 56 minute game. We lost, but it was a great game with some really close calls. Had it been a 6 v 6 who knows what would have happened, but it was a lot of fun none the less.

Haly

I like slow on a stick but i think AD kat is generally more useful.

Needs more testing!

hadar

First time playing nidalee just now, went 11/7/14, death count was pretty high, but I was tossing around heals like a madman on others so meh
Nid is pretty fun though, don't know why I don't see it more often

JWong

Banned
So did they nerf Yi?

I want to switch to an AP character, but I invested heavily into Yi and critical damage for him. Are there any other chars besides Gangplank that utilizes Crit Damage well?

Plissken said:
I've never actually used it, but a friend says that /r will reply to messages in-game.

/w "name" message

---

if someone first sends the message, you can respond by,

/r (after typing /r it will auto complete the person's name) -> /r "name" message

ie; /w "GAFperson335" don't get 2 boots you noob, they don't stack

Xater

Ok I tried out Heroes of Newerth because it runs on a Mac, but the community was horrible. So I gave League of Legends a shot today and this game is really fun. It eased me into how to play and if you suck not everyone will curse the shit out of you. This runs great on my laptop and I'll continue playing it.

Any other noobs want to play with me? My name on LoL is also Xater.

PS: I am still hoping for a Mac client. Does anyone know if they plan one?

Einherjar

JWong said:
So did they nerf Yi?

I want to switch to an AP character, but I invested heavily into Yi and critical damage for him. Are there any other chars besides Gangplank that utilizes Crit Damage well?

Crit damage runes are useless. It's been proven armor pen runes are still better most of the game even if you started with 100% crit chance. Though armor pen runes are probably due for a nerf.

Einherjar said:
Crit damage runes are useless. It's been proven armor pen runes are still better most of the game even if you started with 100% crit chance. Though armor pen runes are probably due for a nerf.

A sad but true story, back when I first started in September, my thought process went as such, "oh, a full crit damage rune page is the most expensive (25,500IP to be exact) so it must be the best!"

Yeah. (Although this does make people rage when playing Shaco)

Xater said:
Ok I tried out Heroes of Newerth because it runs on a Mac, but the community was horrible. So I gave League of Legends a shot today and this game is really fun. It eased me into how to play and if you suck not everyone will curse the shit out of you. This runs great on my laptop and I'll continue playing it.

No idea what game you're playing. I'm only lvl 11 and have seen kids so bad I forgot I wasn't on street fighter 4... =\

Rayven

aka surume
Legato.Reborn- said:
/w "name" message

---

if someone first sends the message, you can respond by,

/r (after typing /r it will auto complete the person's name) -> /r "name" message

ie; /w "GAFperson335" don't get 2 boots you noob, they don't stack
Think it's still temporarily disabled from the Season 1 release.

Delodax

Xater said:

The developer announced a mac client a month or two ago, so at least it is in the works. Haven't seen any date as to when it's going to be done though.

eznark

Banned
BloodElfHunter said:
Man I wanna try HON to see how bad the people really are but I don't have $30 to waste. :lol
fuck you noob you fucking noob, why would you buy that you noob fuck jesus fuck what are you fucking doing quit the game kill yourself fuck you god kill yourself and your mother who i fucked last night noob

eznark said:
fuck you noob you fucking noob, why would you buy that you noob fuck jesus fuck what are you fucking doing quit the game kill yourself fuck you god kill yourself and your mother who i fucked last night noob
Lol, wtf. For the love of god I really hope you're not 28.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
eznark said:

Are we talking about HoN or LoL? :p

eznark

Banned
BloodElfHunter said:
Lol, wtf. For the love of god I really hope you're not 28.
i was giving you a taste of the community, without having to spend $30.

Are we talking about HoN or LoL? :p
Seems like reporting has just about killed that in LoL, at least the matches I play. Still a lot of complaining but not abusive or racist bullshit.

eznark said:
i was giving you a taste of the community, without having to spend $30.

Seems like reporting has just about killed that in LoL, at least the matches I play. Still a lot of complaining but not abusive or racist bullshit.

In that cause it doesn't seem much different than LOL. I have to report atleast 5 people a day, and thats only for language.. A million times more if you count all the people I report for afking or disconnecting =\

eznark

Banned
BloodElfHunter said:
In that cause it doesn't seem much different than LOL. I have to report atleast 5 people a day, and thats only for language.. A million times more if you count all the people I report for afking or disconnecting =\
At least you are reporting. As long as people use the system the idiocy should be weeded out before long.

Azar

Maybe it's because I'm not in the higher ranks yet (16 now) but I haven't played a single match with someone that abrasive. Every so often there's someone being smarmy over all chat, and a bit more often than that there will be someone in the postgame bitching about how worthless their teammate was, but I've yet to encounter anyone being dramatically obscene. Are all the ragers level 30? :lol

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
eznark said:

I've still had some bad experiences recently in LoL, but nothing horrible. I had one guy ragequit because I was his laning partner and he wanted to solo bottom or something. He started calling me a fucking noob in all chat for whatever reason. Also, HoN has a report feature now so I haven't seen as many idiots in that game recently.

Regardless, both games have their share of idiots and it isn't worth arguing over.

Edit: And I actually like both games alot. I feel HoN is more rewarding, but I have to be in a certain mindset to want to play it. It is much easier to just jump in and play a game or two in LoL.

Plissken

I find I get cussed at the most when I play Karthus. Every single time I kill someone with my ultimate, there is rage tossed my way seconds later. :D

eznark

Banned
Azar said:
Maybe it's because I'm not in the higher ranks yet (16 now) but I haven't played a single match with someone that abrasive. Every so often there's someone being smarmy over all chat, and a bit more often than that there will be someone in the postgame bitching about how worthless their teammate was, but I've yet to encounter anyone being dramatically obscene. Are all the ragers level 30? :lol

It's more complaining than abusive and abrasive behavior at 30 it seems. In every game always and forever people will bitch about relative skill levels.

Xater

Delodax said:
The developer announced a mac client a month or two ago, so at least it is in the works. Haven't seen any date as to when it's going to be done though.

That's nice. Well then I will keep playing through bootcamp. I am now LVL5 and I only encountered one ass hat, so the experience for me is far superior to HoN. I also think I like the look of this game way more.

I really don't understand why some people have to be such idiots in these games. I mean when I have a low level you should expect me not to play good.

Haly

A lot of low levelers are smurfs (high level players playing on low level accounts) and both HoN and LoL's core audience consists of those who have an are familiar with DotA. This the environment they fostered for themselves and while LoL is a bit more noob friendly (there's less pressure to perform and know exactly what's going on a la HoN/DotA) the same kind of people flaming you in one game will be the one doing it in the other.

Also unlike other team based games someone doing badly will have a much higher dragon your team's capabilities.

Ok so while Katarina will always be my go to bitch I need a support character to play and learn before 30. I like Soraka but I've been told shes normally banned. Too many people in pugs are playing just dps and it sucks... theres normally atleast 1 tank...trying to dps.. but ya suggestions on someone to learn\buy.

Odrion

Banned
Just tried out League of Legends due to a friend. Because I heard how it was uber competitive, I read up as much as I could about the game and what champions I wanted to play as.

Took a break now because the servers are busy.

Won 4 out of 4 so far with Rammus and Garren. Kills are only 4-8 but assists are good and it's not too deadly out there. I'm aware that I'm fighting against noobs though, no one dares to try to gank or go through the woods. :lol

Rammus is an incredible tank, it was hilarious when I killed two people attacking a turret by myself by taunting and getting the turret to aggro it. :lol I sob when other people grab him first and use him as some sort of hilarious and sad dps thingy.

So I put down $20 on Amazon and got my Collector's edition coming through. I think that'll be it for buying Champions and I'm just going to focus down on a few favorites.

Although the mathematics for buying most of the other champions for $25 is intriguing. :D But I doubt I'll touch even a forth of them.

NOW RECOVER YOU LOUSY SERVER!

Haly

BloodElfHunter said:
Ok so while Katarina will always be my go to bitch I need a support character to play and learn before 30. I like Soraka but I've been told shes normally banned. Too many people in pugs are playing just dps and it sucks... theres normally atleast 1 tank...trying to dps.. but ya suggestions on someone to learn\buy.
Zilean is good. So is alistar in the hands of a good palyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom