• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferrio said:
Know what they should *really* do? They should take a clue from another WC3 custom map. Actually forget the name, but it's two teams. They fight wave upon wave of minions. Whatever team lasts the longest wins. Uses items just like dota, and hero type dota characters. Would work well. There's also skills the team can use to affect the other team, such as speeding up their creep spawn, or summoning a special kind of creep etc.
That, or make a seige map. One team tries to break into another team's castle or what not. Pretty much like an attack/defend mode from tf2.

I remember that game type. It was like "Endless Defence" or something.

Not sure how things are going for US players, but EU West LoL is shaggered right now. Wasted about 2 hours trying to play.

Ark said:
Holy shit, 40 minute queues, what did I miss? I've been at college all day T__T
And when you get it, the chat/friend system mightn't work!

Achtius

Dominion is so fun :D

One mistake i see is that a lot of people try to chase instead of capturing tower. Even the score show the capture points instead of k/d/a.

Dominion.png

BiggNife

Ark said:
Holy shit, 40 minute queues, what did I miss? I've been at college all day T__T
Dang, I must've just missed that. I had no queue when I got in, managed to play a couple Dominion matches.

It's fun! I like the super-fast pace. I can't see it ever overtaking classic mode, though. It feels more like a nice extra than anything else.

Also it looks like they've closed off Dominion matchmaking for the time being.

Kozak

Banned
Dominion is fucking amazing. With premade friends its just half an hour of adrenaline pumped shouting!

Teknopathetic said:
Dominion is so much superior to Summoner's Rift.

Yup! They've really caught on to something with Dominion. I can definitely see myself playing it more.

edit:

reading the thread seems to be a hit and miss with some people.

Ark

I gotta ask this before I forget:

Do any LoL GAF'ers have a Razer Naga? I've wanted one so badly since they released and I'm on the verge of buying the Molton edition, but I'm just curious as to how it works with LoL (or even other games (FPS/RPG if you play those too). I have a Deathadder at the moment, around two years old and I love it to pieces, but it's time for an upgrade :)

And to keep this on topic:

Almost logged in, hopefully I'll be able to get a game of Dominion going.

EDIT:

More questions! GAF opinions on Pantheon? Tempted to buy him and try him out, looks like a good solid laner/pwner.

Rayven

aka surume
Tedious?

For dudes who think it's too chaotic:
- The game slows down the more you play.
- Arena style/clustering is punished by coordinated teams.

sohois

Dominion is pretty sweet. Duo queued a few games with Archie, ended up 3wins-2losses. Seems like some champs really suck and some are awesome but its not really according to type atm i.e. its not like all ranged dps or all melee dps are good, some ranged dps are good and some aren't;some melee dps are good and some aren't. Also it seems that they've done some balancing for dominion? Certainly Mundo i noticed had his ult cds changed.

got into a couple games and they were pretty amazing, the second one especially. it came down to the wire. we were ahead 110-75 but had far less coordination than the enemy and ended up losing in the final minutes. i blame the questionable build our Leona had and the fact that my teammates didn't seem to understand that you need to do damage to whoever is capturing ASAP.

Ark said:
More questions! GAF opinions on Pantheon? Tempted to buy him and try him out, looks like a good solid laner/pwner.

He's pretty good right now.

BiggNife said:
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how Dominion is tedious. The game moves at a pretty fast clip.

I felt like I barely had time to breathe while playing.

In my experience: Kassadin - Very good on dominion, Nidalee - decent, Orianna - good, Lux - bad, Poppy - good, maybe better.

Me, Sanjay, and Meteorain were playing, why don't you respond to my messages, Archie!

"I felt like I barely had time to breathe while playing."

I don't think tedious is the right word to describe what you're thinking. In fact, it's almost the exact opposite.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Mic was on the floor and I was already in queue when I heard your message.

Edit: I played 6 games and went 4-2. I had the most success with Ryze/Kass. Fed like crazy with Twitch and did absolutely nothing with Singed.

inky

Only got to play one match. It was stupidly frantic!. I guess Riven with her mobility is a good choice for dominion either to chase or run away. Add to that that 2 on my team started without boots =/

I played Annie and it didn't go too well. Ended up being 3rd in my team. Picking fights in the center of the map rather than rush to capture/defend points is dumb, but people want to kill always. We lost but it was so much fun.

Kozak

Banned
Archie said:
Mic was on the floor and I was already in queue when I heard your message.

Edit: I played 6 games and went 4-2. I had the most success with Ryze/Kass. Fed like crazy with Twitch and did absolutely nothing with Singed.

My friends and I played against a twitch who RAPED. IE and PD.

Its hard playing as a character whos completely squishy. I played Brand and had a shocking 2nd game cause teammates would be all over the map and when I thought someone had my back they had already moved on :(

Have had the most success with tanky GP so far.

Yeah, I'm not surprised Urgot's really good.

I feel like the most important thing in Dominion is being able to win a 1v1 fight quickly and convincingly. More support-ish characters like Sona/Janna/etc. might need alternate builds.

Ark said:

Do any LoL GAF'ers have a Razer Naga? I've wanted one so badly since they released and I'm on the verge of buying the Molton edition, but I'm just curious as to how it works with LoL (or even other games (FPS/RPG if you play those too). I have a Deathadder at the moment, around two years old and I love it to pieces, but it's time for an upgrade :)

EDIT:

I have a Naga, though I mainly used to for WoW due to the amount of hotkeys I used. It's really comfortable and the 12 keys on the left are pretty easy to get used to.

wait and what, dominion is up?

Teknopathetic said:
"I felt like I barely had time to breathe while playing."
I don't think tedious is the right word to describe what you're thinking. In fact, it's almost the exact opposite.

Right, I'm in agreement with you.

Ark

ShadyMilkman said:
I have a Naga, though I mainly used to for WoW due to the amount of hotkeys I used. It's really comfortable and the 12 keys on the left are pretty easy to get used to.

All I wanted to hear :)

Used to play WoW back in the day, but I've no doubt the Naga will have SW:TOR, etc support.

Nome

Ark said:

EDIT:

Stay away from the Razer Naga. It's awful.
In terms of size it's a lot smaller than the Deathadder (I have both), and the thumb-keys aren't really that great (they are tiny and cramped). If you enjoy your current two thumb buttons, guess what? The Razer Naga doesn't have those. I use them as back/forward buttons for brwosers, but the side buttons on the Naga default to the numpad. You can't really have both active at the same time, so you'll have to pick and choose what you want, or you can use some weird-ass keybinding. Overall the mouse is just uncomfortable and you'll be really sad you invested in it if you're accustomed to a traditional mouse. You're already at the top of the food chain with the Deathadder tbh. I've been through three Deathadders and I can't bother to try anything else.

Also, Pantheon is imbalanced as balls. I've been playing him without armor pen runes (no IP to buy) but he seems like he'd downright break the lane if he had them.

Plissken

Got to try 2 games of Dominion before it was turned off, and I love it. Much faster paced and more exciting than standard mode. No sitting in the lane for 15 minutes farming creep, you just run out and FIGHT! It does feel like it favors tanky DPS right now (Irelia feels even more godlike in Dominion).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ark said:

I have a Razer Naga and I really like it, but I'm not sure it gives me much out of LoL unless I'm playing Jax or something where I have a bunch of on use items. It's great for MMOs, but for something like LoL you're not going to get a lot out of all the extra buttons.

I really had a lot of fun with Dominion and can't wait to play more.

Yorick is Dominion God tier. Never think about mana or health, fast, locks opponents down to prevent escapes, trashes people in 1v1s and 1v2s. Can defend points for an eternity with his ult. 1v4? No problem for Yorick, they aren't capping this point for the next ten seconds.
8ad7fbdd871d630435b21be37b8cc652b25f2504.jpg

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
BiggNife said:
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how Dominion is tedious. The game moves at a pretty fast clip.

It just felt like everyone was rushing to points

probably because no one knows how to play yet.(Although I expect that once people do there will just end up being a handful of characters that flat our dominate rather than it becoming a compelling game mode)

but I can't say I had fun or found it exciting

It was just mindless rushing. If I wanted to play a game like that I wouldn't be playing a dota-like one.

You can already kinda tell who the dumb characters will be on it.

Teemo with boots of mobility as first item and 2 points in move quick

I'm never not getting that top point first.

Now to mushroom the map for the next 20 minutes

Singed and GP are pretty strong too.

"I'm never not getting that top point first."

Okay? Are you actually going to be able to hold that point though? Especially since all you have is boots?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
yeah I don't see why not? because I have the point capped and garrison most likely.

if their whole team pushes then my team will get there when they do or push and take their unguarded bottom point.

Capping the top point first is a huge advantage no matter what. and with teemo I'm always capping it first.

heroes with high mobility are strong on a map based around mobility and small skirmishes?

Teemo's mushrooms are especially strong as well since like he can lockdown an enemies jungle he can lock down the quickest routes to points in the middle area.

and GP is good because of global cap channel breaker.

dimb

Ultimoo said:
heroes with high mobility are strong on a map based around mobility and small skirmishes?

oh shit.
Mobility isn't the biggest factor on the map. People who take boots of mobility out of the gate are going to get smashed by people who start with a Prospector's Ring or Blade once the fighting begins (which is pretty much 20 seconds into the match).

"Mobility isn't the biggest factor on the map. People who take boots of mobility out of the gate are going to get smashed by people who start with a Prospector's Ring or Blade once the fighting begins (which is pretty much 20 seconds into the match)."

This.

Congrats, you capped a point first, enjoy your all expenses paid trip back to base once the fight to contest it starts.

Neki

Dance In My Blood said:
Mobility isn't the biggest factor on the map. People who take boots of mobility out of the gate are going to get smashed by people who start with a Prospector's Ring or Blade once the fighting begins (which is pretty much 20 seconds into the match).
I was referring more to inherent mobility based on character skills rather than items though. Buying boots first when you're going to be fighting right away seems like a stupid idea.

Level 1 boots isn't terrible. You can get boots + an item like the prospector's stuff or something like that. Blowing your whole load just to cap the top point first and then be a squishy lump of no damage immediately after is, though.

Neki

Teknopathetic said:
Level 1 boots isn't terrible. You can get boots + an item like the prospector's stuff or something like that. Blowing your whole load just to cap the top point first and then be a squishy lump of no damage immediately after is, though.
I'll have to experience it first-hand before I can make any more conclusions, why is Lux bad on this map? I'd thought she'd be good, she excels at skirmishes, and her long range abilities allow her to defend points from afar.

Home

I played a few games of it during the beta. I found that sending one ranged ad (cait or ashe preferred) bot to cap the first point and have the rest of the team go for the other 2 points on your side works pretty well. With defensive play you can hold off 2 members of the other team from capping the bottom point, and if they send more than that the rest of the team can cap their other points pretty quickly.

Items that give more than mobility are important, but mobility is a large component of it.

I will probably get a practice game in when the game is released so I get to know the map.

dimb

Ultimoo said:
I was referring more to inherent mobility based on character skills rather than items though. Buying boots first when you're going to be fighting right away seems like a stupid idea.
As people get a better understanding of the map I expect the surprise caps that mobility can preform will become less and less powerful. People talk up the mobile characters like Teemo and Rammus but any character can really get to a point that needs capping/defending in just a few seconds.

Once the grab for points is over mobility can be helpful, but doesn't seem like it will be as big of a deal as having champs who can push in towards the points near the enemy base, take those, and hold them for an extended period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom