• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Ferrio said:
So, enabling smart cast has changed my game completely. It's sooo much easier now. Should be on by default!
It really is nice for skillshots, but I still screw myself over on some things. Singed's slime throw thing has a bit of a delay, I guess, and I always throw it closer to than I want, letting enemies get away.

Boken

Banned
Yeah well rammus shouldn't get wriggles lantern. Dont bother soloing it. Just gank bot and do dragon after they're dead.

I'm new to the game/genre and will venture into the PvP territory tonight for the first time. I'd love for some tips/pointers on how not to embarrass myself/ draw the ire of my fellow teammates.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I am officially over Dominion. Once you get past the 'ohh new and shiny' stage, you are left with a shallow map that plays out the same nearly every time. Most games start out as a windmill race and eventually devolve into small skirmishes in between capturing points. It is fun, but has no long term lasting appeal and the self satisfaction received from improving as a player in classic mode is minimal.

Gully State said:
I'm new to the game/genre and will venture into the PvP territory tonight for the first time. I'd love for some tips/pointers on how not to embarrass myself/ draw the ire of my fellow teammates.

1) Buy regenerative items at the start to help with your lane sustain and to prevent having to constantly TP back to base.
2) Don't mindlessly auto attack creeps. That pushes the lane towards the enemy tower and makes you more vulnerable.
3) If enemies are missing in a lane, be sure to alert your teammates. Also keep a constant eye on the mini map and be aware of missing enemies.
4) Don't die.

Blizzard

Banned
Archie said:
I am officially over Dominion. Once you get past the 'ohh new and shiny' stage, you are left with a shallow map that plays out the same nearly every time. Most games start out as a windmill race and eventually devolve into small skirmishes in between capturing points. It is fun, but has no long term lasting appeal and the self satisfaction received from improving as a player in classic mode is minimal.
My experience has been that the more I play classic mode, the worse I get (down to like 45 games under 50% wins), so it sounds like dominion may be perfect for me. I like fun. =P

Swig_

Anyone know how they determine rank in normal draft? I'm 2nd to last pick EVERY game. I have a decent amount more wins than losses. I just don't understand why I'm nearly last every time.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
My biggest complaint in Dominion is that there is very little to do. Summoner's Rift has a wealth of options (3 lanes, 2 jungles, dragon, Baron) and has a somewhat dynamic layout. Dominion has...5 capture points surrounded in a circle and a buff in the center.

Gully State said:

You will likely be too aggressive. Play safe.

If your lane/the adjacent lane is missing, retreat.

Buy wards, put them at choke points leading to you.

Try to stick with one other dude at all times. Play in 3s if you can.

It is far better to survive a skirmish and run than to hang around injured or worse, chase a weak enemy. Never chase unless you a) have wide open space in front of you, b) have 2 team mates with you.

Pretend that the opposing side of the map gives them +EVERYTHING, and fight accordingly.

If you are going AP or AD, build a defense item or two. Don't be a glass cannon, you're battle awareness and positioning won't let you play like that just yet.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Archie said:

I more or less agree completely. It's how I was feeling yesterday after playing 3 or 4 games

Biggest problem is I just don't think it makes sense in LoL. It'd be cool in a game with the mechanics and characters designed to support it, but for LoL I just don't think it works well at the moment. It feels like a minigame in LoL rather than a new mode

Hopefully it'll be compelling once people break the mode down, but I expect it to end up like TT instead.(Certain characters will dominate the mode forever and no one will take it seriously. Not even riot)

FlightOfHeaven said:
You will likely be too aggressive. Play safe.

If your lane/the adjacent lane is missing, retreat.

Buy wards, put them at choke points leading to you.

Try to stick with one other dude at all times. Play in 3s if you can.

It is far better to survive a skirmish and run than to hang around injured or worse, chase a weak enemy. Never chase unless you a) have wide open space in front of you, b) have 2 team mates with you.

Pretend that the opposing side of the map gives them +EVERYTHING, and fight accordingly.

If you are going AP or AD, build a defense item or two. Don't be a glass cannon, you're battle awareness and positioning won't let you play like that just yet.

I'm by nature a defensive player so that's not the issue tendency wise(at least against bots). I don't know anything about wards though (since it's not necessary in bot matches) so I'll need to read up on that.

I have to say though, even comp stomping so far, the game is pretty damn fun. I'm only level 11 right but I'm going to stick with this for awhile.

It's... supposed to be a mini-game. That's the idea. My games today lasted 13, 15, and 14 minutes respectively.

It might actually be -too- fast paced. There's no time to breathe or formulate a plan. People are just running around, doing their own thing. People just haven't had time to analyze it yet, to figure out what builds are good, what champs fit what role. Writing off this mode after two -test- sessions is a bit rash. Not to mention that champions haven't been rebalanced for the new mode yet. Yes, some have been changed but none have been actually balanced.

I suspect there are going to be 3 defending champs and two gankers when team composition settles.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Kod1ak said:
Anyone know how they determine rank in normal draft? I'm 2nd to last pick EVERY game. I have a decent amount more wins than losses. I just don't understand why I'm nearly last every time.
Same way with Rank, ELO. The difference is your ELO is hidden in normal.

Highest first, lowest last.

Gully State said:
I'm by nature a defensive player so that's not the issue tendency wise(at least against bots). I don't know anything about wards though (since it's not necessary in bot matches) so I'll need to read up on that.

I have to say though, even comp stomping so far, the game is pretty damn fun. I'm only level 11 right but I'm going to stick with this for awhile.

People are usually aggressive coming out of bot mode and they don't know it. That's why I stress it. I had a friend that played bots till level 10, and he would stay out farming for way too long, and overextend dangerously. That's being aggressive, although he didn't think it was.

I don't think bots make a concerted effort to gank, so I dunno how prepared you are for that.

Best of luck! There are new GAFfers playing, too.

Swig_

Gully State said:

Typically, ward the bush that meets your lane from the river. That alone will save you from getting ganked many times over if you stay on top of it.

Wards typically should go in bushes in places you might expect a gank from and other high traffic areas. Also dragon and baron area nice places to ward, since they're in the river and you can stop them from taking those 2 mobs.

If you play an AD champ, you might want to get a wriggles lantern. It has a free ward you can use every 3 minutes, plus it's a great, cheap item.

Rayven

aka surume
Archie said:
My biggest complaint in Dominion is that there is very little to do. Summoner's Rift has a wealth of options (3 lanes, 2 jungles, dragon, Baron) and has a somewhat dynamic layout. Dominion has...5 capture points surrounded in a circle and a buff in the center.
We tried many other secondary objectives during development. The short answer is: time is much more precious in Dominion.

Swig_

shintoki said:
Same way with Rank, ELO. The difference is your ELO is hidden in normal.

Highest first, lowest last.

Well, last season in ranked i was typically 2nd-4th.. And it seems like I should have a decent win record because it seems like most people hover around 50% and I'm usually a bit higher than that. For example, I played 4 today, won 3 lost 1.

Ferrio

Banned
Rayven said:
We tried many other secondary objectives during development. The short answer is: time is much more precious in Dominion.

Capture and hold point maps are always frustrating, doesn't matter what game. WoW, TF2, whatever... the constant running back and forth between two areas sucks.

You guys should of done a attack/defend style map ala TF. Capture the point, it's captured. Move onto the next point. Not sure how that'd work on such small maps though.

Dominion is perfect for me. In SR I'm not too fond of PVP, but with this, I love playing with others because of how fast and frantic everything is. I can see myself enjoying this a lot.

Rayven said:
Rioters on GAF? I love you guys.

FlightOfHeaven said:
People are usually aggressive coming out of bot mode and they don't know it. That's why I stress it. I had a friend that played bots till level 10, and he would stay out farming for way too long, and overextend dangerously. That's being aggressive, although he didn't think it was.

I don't think bots make a concerted effort to gank, so I dunno how prepared you are for that.

Best of luck! There are new GAFfers playing, too.

Ok ...different meaning of aggressive that I had in mind. I probably do overextend by your definition. What I meant by aggressive was that I only push the lanes when I've taken out the opposing character in my lane and I don't engage unless I have a sizeable advantage (health/ position/ numbers). I usually see my teammates charge into a 1 on 2 or try to go toe to toe with Ryze/Annie bot (ridiculous nukers). Is there a GAF chatroom for new players?

Gully State said:
Ok ...different meaning of aggressive that I had in mind. I probably do overextend by your definition. What I meant by aggressive was that I only push the lanes when I've taken out the opposing character in my lane and I don't engage unless I have a sizeable advantage (health/ position/ numbers). I usually see my teammates charge into a 1 on 2 or try to go toe to toe with Ryze/Annie bot (ridiculous nukers). Is there a GAF chatroom for new players?

NeoGAF. That's the chatroom. People will usually join a game and tutor each other. Get Mumble for chat, chat is a huge advantage in this game.

The rest of the stuff you mentioned you are doing fine, by the way. But by pushing and staying out, you are expanding your range and you make it easier to get ganked.

Ark

Holy shit! Dominion is AMAZING.

Great little side-game, but it wont replace classic :)

Dota 2 best have something similar!

You know Valve employees, as well as the S2 folk, are watching closely.

I wish Riot would also implement that survival mode where there's an endless stream of enemies coming from one end and only a set amount can pass a certain point before you lose. You compete with another team to see who can a) survive the longest or b) surmount the last level.

Ferny

Dominion is so sick! I gotta find someone good for it though. Haven't found the right fit yet but its so much craziness.

Ferrio

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
You know Valve employees, as well as the S2 folk, are watching closely.

I wish Riot would also implement that survival mode where there's an endless stream of enemies coming from one end and only a set amount can pass a certain point before you lose. You compete with another team to see who can a) survive the longest or b) surmount the last level.

Ya love those modes. Always a nice change of pace, also would be a good way to introduce people to character's skills.

Neki

huv4Vl.jpg

orianna still confirmed op.

down 100 points? no problem, win with 7 points left.

first game too.

Gully State said:

Something to be wary of is that some(many?) champs don't need a health advantage to win a 1v1. Renekton, for example, is very good at fighting at low health because of his Q's heal and his ultimate. Annie is another one because of her burst.

People will do very, very dumb things to get kills, and are much less likely to retreat if they initiate a fight against a low health target. Make the most of it.

Plissken

Well, I think I found the most annoying team to face in Dominion:

Rammus - Powerball+Ghost=Guaranteed top cap first.
Gangplank - Oh, you think you got that? Lemme just ult on you.
Karthus - Oh, you think you got that? Lemme just ult on you, AND stand at a tower with E turned on and win.
Pantheon - Oh, you think...you get the idea.
Whoever

That was the most unfun I've had in a while. I still enjoy the mode so far, but those are the first champs I am gonna ban in Draft mode.

Plissken said:
Well, I think I found the most annoying team to face in Dominion:

Rammus - Powerball+Ghost=Guaranteed top cap first.
Gangplank - Oh, you think you got that? Lemme just ult on you.
Karthus - Oh, you think you got that? Lemme just ult on you, AND stand at a tower with E turned on and win.
Pantheon - Oh, you think...you get the idea.
Whoever

That was the most unfun I've had in a while. I still love the mode, but here's hoping for a draft version in the future.

There was a draft version.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I don't care about any other game releases this year Dominion is the game mode of forever! I played so many close call games and noticed less rage from people since games are so short if its a stompfest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom