• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattk15

I've completely raped with Kog'maw in all the Dominion games I have played. Came in 1st or 2nd in points each time.

21-11, 19-11, 12-3, 22-9 ... Kitae's Bloodrazor + W + Ult = fun things. Lightbringer when their team features Akali ... other than that Attack Speed plus W rapes people.

I'm loving this reset. I'm now 4-1 sitting at 1406. I might be able to get a lot higher than I was last season just cause I started out around 1000 in Season 1.

I just came back to this game, I'm level 16 atm. I've mainly played Kat with some Teemo tossed in. Janna looks interesting, is she actually useful at all or just horrible?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
inky said:
How does it reward bad play? (I'm being serious with this question)

Isn't it a capture/defend the point game mode? I find it normal that it should give you more points for capturing or defending points than anything else...
Although it's a capture/defend mode the game doesn't reward players for defending points very well. You get next to nothing for driving off enemy players from points. The design decision behind this choice being, I can only imagine, "lolololol defending stuff is boring go go go go cap."

The system also doesn't really have good diminishing returns. Success comes to teams who spread out, having multiple people capping a point at once is often detrimental, because it means a great deal of wasted time and poor map control. But if you want gold and points you are going to want to get in on capping every point you can, even if other people could easily do it on their own.

No real choke points on the map means the entire game just becomes racing around to unoccupied/vulnerable points, and the scoring system puts neutralizing/capping on a pedestal infinitely higher than defending, supporting, etc. The system in place rewards selfish play, so of course players in turn will act in the way that nets the most points.
Archie said:
B tier support hero. Play Soraka instead.
Soraka is small time. Zilean and Janna are where it's at.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ochobit said:
Wrong in many levels. I can see why you'd think that, but Janna is #1 support atm.
Neogaf's official Janna Supporter and Fanboy. Glorious Janna Master Race

Skill-less peasant Soraka Players.

Played my first bot match, L fucking O L. Even with an AFK person on our team who just leech XP, they got absolutely rocked. 75 to 25 in kills. First game as Aki too.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I shall not play Lux or Janna till I learn some goddamn carries. This I promise. Good by 60+ wins up in normal!

Jax, Aki, Cait, Ashe, Brand, Morg, and a few others.

I need to learn to jungle too. Thinking Yi actually.

QuVat

Neo Member
So what would someone recommend a relative newbie (I'm lvl 11) to LoL do that already has a champion he's fairly competent with (Lux is really fun!) but would like to explore the different playstyles of the various champions and not get completely destroyed in each and every PVP game he plays?

I've won 1 PVP game out of my last 10 where most of the losses have been a result of people being ignorant to what is happening in the match (not defending enemy team's rush, saying nothing when a lane is MIA, being poor sports or blaming others, etc.). At this point is it normal for me to be losing so much? Should I just keep forging ahead in the hopes that eventually I'll find a champion that "clicks" with my preferred playstyle?

Uchip said:
WHY DONT YOU MARRY THEM!

Well, they won't like me after going 3/11/4 as Pantheon.

QuVat said:
So what would someone recommend a relative newbie (I'm lvl 11) to LoL do that already has a champion he's fairly competent with (Lux is really fun!) but would like to explore the different playstyles of the various champions and not get completely destroyed in each and every PVP game he plays?
I've won 1 PVP game out of my last 10 where most of the losses have been a result of people being ignorant to what is happening in the match (not defending enemy team's rush, saying nothing when a lane is MIA, being poor sports or blaming others, etc.). At this point is it normal for me to be losing so much? Should I just keep forging ahead in the hopes that eventually I'll find a champion that "clicks" with my preferred playstyle?

Yeap. You have to find a suite of champions that suit your playstyle. For example, Annie is amazing, but I am horrendous with her.

You have to pick either specializing with one champion and winning a lot, or learning a lot of champions and losing for a while.

Also

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
i-Tkshsxt-M.jpg

I need this t-shirt =/

Hi guys!
I finally managed to make Pando work and now trying to install the game, is there any other method instead of the 2.8 GB using Pando? My connections speed is 256Kb, it'll take more than a day...

Blizzard

Banned
Jenga said:
got suspended until the 26th

not so curious why, more curious as to how it took them so long
I'm curious why.

Also, I just lost my third bot game ever. It was possibly the worst team against bots I've ever seen. Nidalee, lux, maokai, lee sin, and me as rammus. Maokai kept saying "muted" when someone would ping or say stuff, two people apparently suicided intentionally at the start of the match, people appeared to blindly run into the middle of fights or stay there so annie bot would kill them all, two people kept trying to surrender, etc. I just couldn't seem to carry with a tank rammus build and couldn't backdoor since three bots would come to defend and I'd be alone. I'm not sure if two of them were terrible or intentionally trolling, since they apparently knew each other outside the game.

So much rage.

AcridMeat

Banned
Holy shit I just had the most amazing game ever. The fact we somehow won this is absolutely mind boggling. We had no lane turrets for so long yet we somehow managed to come back. Our lane had the most annoying combo, Lux and Ezreal with Vayne (myself) and Singed getting kind of wrecked.

So many hilarious moments I'm glad I was on vent with the Singed player.

1qW8L.jpg

This was my first normal game with Vayne. I think it's a sign she's my main now.

dimb

Blizzard said:
I'm curious why.

Also, I just lost my third bot game ever. It was possibly the worst team against bots I've ever seen. Nidalee, lux, maokai, lee sin, and me as rammus. Maokai kept saying "muted" when someone would ping or say stuff, two people apparently suicided intentionally at the start of the match, people appeared to blindly run into the middle of fights or stay there so annie bot would kill them all, two people kept trying to surrender, etc. I just couldn't seem to carry with a tank rammus build and couldn't backdoor since three bots would come to defend and I'd be alone. I'm not sure if two of them were terrible or intentionally trolling, since they apparently knew each other outside the game.

So much rage.
What is going on to where you're playing so many bot games? They are the least fun way to play the game.

Blizzard

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
What is going on to where you're playing so many bot games? They are the least fun way to play the game.
I think they're often the most fun, since you can USUALLY win even if you just play around, and so you don't have to stress about losing. Intermediate can be frustrating without an AD carry since the bots get so many items. Human vs human is almost always frustrating if it's not lopsided in my favor, it feels like.

I think I usually just play bot games for win of the day (worst case), or if I'm practicing a new champion. In this case I was trying jungle rammus. It just happened to be a horrible time to pick him.

dimb

Don't really see the fun in playing a game if you are pretty much guaranteed a win against a team that has no coordination or understanding of the mind games that make LoL fun and compensate for it by cheating, but if that's up your alley more power to you.

It isn't really going to help you get better at the game though if you find yourself dreading playing versus other players.

I also try new champions in normal games all the time. Only way to really get a good feel for them.

Blizzard

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Don't really see the fun in playing a game if you are pretty much guaranteed a win against a team that has no coordination or understanding of the mind games that make LoL fun and compensate for it by cheating, but if that's up your alley more power to you.

It isn't really going to help you get better at the game though if you find yourself dreading playing versus other players.

I also try new champions in normal games all the time. Only way to really get a good feel for them.
If you win most of your games with new champions, more power to you. At my skill level, however, I think it's almost inconsiderate to my teammates if I use someone I've never tried at all, since I won't have even practiced aiming the abilities, for instance. I try not to feed and lose games for my teammates if I can help it, so I figure it's a courtesy to learn the skills to some degree before using them ingame. Personal preference.

dimb

Most attacks fall into pretty stock categories. Skillshots are skillshots. Gap closers are gap closers. Disables are disables. Area of effect attacks do...well that. New champs are just a different take on mechanics you should probably already be familiar with. It becomes even easier if you've ever played against the champion (and you probably have). You should already have an idea of what they can do.

1450 now in Ranked Solo. Let my rise to heaven commence! You all shall see me at the top ELO level briefly in other people's streams. If I could figure out how to prntscrn on a Mac using Windows, then I would be able to show you my extreme dominance with WW right now, but I can't figure it out. So just search Chronos in the find summoner bar and be astounded.

I should mention that I'm really happy about this just because I just won not one, but two 4v5s in a row. The game before those we had an intentional feeder on our team who basically served as a giant facecheck tool for our team. Each game I managed to get our carries an early game lead, and helped them carry us through. Soooo satisfying to see some competent play make up for idiots.

I'm pretty pumped and really tired, so I shall be going to bed now. Night all!

It's just something gained with experience.

You've played, like, 400 games. I've played 1000, and I'm just average. People like Unknown Factors and Uchip have played around 2000.

Blizzard said:
If you win most of your games with new champions, more power to you. At my skill level, however, I think it's almost inconsiderate to my teammates if I use someone I've never tried at all, since I won't have even practiced aiming the abilities, for instance. I try not to feed and lose games for my teammates if I can help it, so I figure it's a courtesy to learn the skills to some degree before using them ingame. Personal preference.

In general, unless the champion has just come out, you almost definitely have some sort of knowledge about what each champion does. I find if I'm trying out a new champion, sitting back and playing passive in my first game works wonders. I'll slowly build up confidence as the game goes on. Most champions you can at least do pretty well with on the first try if you don't play stupidly.

I think the only champions I've had real trouble with playing as are Lee Sin, Irelia (at first, then I figured her out), Lux (too many damn skill shots at first), Shaco, and Poppy. Not saying that those are the hardest champs to play per se, but for me I probably directly put my team at a disadvantage while playing. Bot games are really that accurate of a representation of how to play a champ. I prefer trial by fire in most cases.

Blizzard

Banned
thestopsign said:
In general, unless the champion has just come out, you almost definitely have some sort of knowledge about what each champion does. I find if I'm trying out a new champion, sitting back and playing passive in my first game works wonders. I'll slowly build up confidence as the game goes on. Most champions you can at least do pretty well with on the first try if you don't play stupidly.

I think the only champions I've had real trouble with playing as are Lee Sin, Irelia (at first, then I figured her out), Lux (too many damn skill shots at first), Shaco, and Poppy. Not saying that those are the hardest champs to play per se, but for me I probably directly put my team at a disadvantage while playing. Bot games are really that accurate of a representation of how to play a champ. I prefer trial by fire in most cases.
If it makes you all feel any better, I apparently chose a solo queue PVP game by accident first to get a PVP Rammus jungle loss before the bot game Rammus jungle loss. :p So I lost in BOTH modes. Leave me in peace! ;_;

dimb

Came back in ranked after my team being down zero to twelve in the early game.

Morgana is the bossest of bosses. "Oh no Rammus is coming at me! Nope, locked down in place, drop a pool and check you later guy."

Ferga

FutureZombie said:
Bot games are too easy to be fun. But they're great for trying new champs.

they're great for seeing which of your friends can get the most kills.

crazy ksing games are fun ;)

Achtius

Blizzard said:
If it makes you all feel any better, I apparently chose a solo queue PVP game by accident first to get a PVP Rammus jungle loss before the bot game Rammus jungle loss. :p So I lost in BOTH modes. Leave me in peace! ;_;

Jungle Rammus is supposed to be good. I should really try him before he is out of rotation. INVITE MEH BLIZZ

Also after a game yesterday, I am wondering whether Nunu is viable champion anymore. During laning phase, although,he can sustain but can't do much but slow people. During teamfights, the opposing team can save a cc (or two if he have bv) to interrupt over his ult, which makes him close to useless. So there isn't really much nunu can do except being the offtank, which there are much better options than nunu.

n0b

What you people need to understand is that Blizzard has an irrational need to win. He doesn't actually like games, he just likes the big win text at the end and when he sees it it materializes fun in his mind even if he didn't have any.

Though the one thing I do support Blizzard for is trying out jungle routes with a new champion in practice games before going into a normal game. There's nothing I hate more than playing a game with a random jungler that has no idea how to complete his jungle.

kassadin needs rework, badly.
1. he's mana cost is way too high. he cant even harrass untill he gets some kind of mana regen and mana boost. getting archangel's staff is a must.
2. he only has 2 abilities that can be used frequently. Q and R. his Q's cool down is way too long. his E is not up all the time, and his W is only usable at early levels (1-6).
3. he is a bad laner, and he is terrible at early game.
4. he only shines if there's teamate helping him. he cannot face any1 1v1. he can't even protect tower by himself. due to his long cool down. how could riot games labeled him as an "assassin?"
5. he gets tons of assissts, and people still blame him for Kill stealing. why? back to reason 2. his long cool downs. even with 1000 AP, his comboREWQ, wont do enough damage to kill anyone, not even AD,AP squishies. plus with that much AP he's squishy too, he can not go in next to people's face and melee with W. all he can do is back off, and let his abilities recharge.

I've come up with few ideas to make him more sustainable in lane and better at protecting tower and face people 1v1. make him a better "assassin"
1. make his Q ability cool down shorter by 50 percent. make it 4.5 sec CD instead of 9.
or
2. give the old kayle's passive to him. convert AP to AD, convert AD to AP. if you think convert AD to AP is OP then fine, just give him AP to AD. that way he can get enough melee output making his W more useful mid n late game

inky

Dance In My Blood said:
Although it's a capture/defend mode the game doesn't reward players for defending points very well. You get next to nothing for driving off enemy players from points. The design decision behind this choice being, I can only imagine, "lolololol defending stuff is boring go go go go cap."

The system also doesn't really have good diminishing returns. Success comes to teams who spread out, having multiple people capping a point at once is often detrimental, because it means a great deal of wasted time and poor map control. But if you want gold and points you are going to want to get in on capping every point you can, even if other people could easily do it on their own.

No real choke points on the map means the entire game just becomes racing around to unoccupied/vulnerable points, and the scoring system puts neutralizing/capping on a pedestal infinitely higher than defending, supporting, etc. The system in place rewards selfish play, so of course players in turn will act in the way that nets the most points.

Ok, sure, I can see what you say now. I guess it's just that people haven't figured out the best strategy and pub games are super disorganized. I've been in teams that want to have all 5 points captured always. I've seen others that get to 1+ (3 usually) and prefer to defend them heavily. When collectively they decide this, it is hard to steer the game in the direction you want.

And yes, I can agree that some people play selfishly, but I don't think it's bad play. I've been in teams where we are down 4-1 and people are having a skirmish with the other team in the middle of the map, or chasing them around. That gives you nothing (gold is easily available and cooldowns are short and you are still losing points by the second) and to me that's bad play. Things move super quick so there's not much time to ping or explain, so running to the farthest away point and capturing it by yourself is usually the best play. Also, I don't see that having people spaced out is bad team play. It is still team play if everyone is doing their part. What I can and will concede is that some heroes are obviously not balanced to be spaced out, but to be part of a team fight, and these should happen rarely in dominion.

I suspect having heroes balanced specifically for this mode could help.

brian!

Ladyboy101 said:
kassadin needs rework, badly.
1. he's mana cost is way too high. he cant even harrass untill he gets some kind of mana regen and mana boost. getting archangel's staff is a must.
2. he only has 2 abilities that can be used frequently. Q and R. his Q's cool down is way too long. his E is not up all the time, and his W is only usable at early levels (1-6).
3. he is a bad laner, and he is terrible at early game.
4. he only shines if there's teamate helping him. he cannot face any1 1v1. he can't even protect tower by himself. due to his long cool down. how could riot games labeled him as an "assassin?"
5. he gets tons of assissts, and people still blame him for Kill stealing. why? back to reason 2. his long cool downs. even with 1000 AP, his comboREWQ, wont do enough damage to kill anyone, not even AD,AP squishies. plus with that much AP he's squishy too, he can not go in next to people's face and melee with W. all he can do is back off, and let his abilities recharge.

I've come up with few ideas to make him more sustainable in lane and better at protecting tower and face people 1v1. make him a better "assassin"
1. make his Q ability cool down shorter by 50 percent. make it 4.5 sec CD instead of 9.
or
2. give the old kayle's passive to him. convert AP to AD, convert AD to AP. if you think convert AD to AP is OP then fine, just give him AP to AD. that way he can get enough melee output making his W more useful mid n late game

I think his laning is alright, the range on his Q is huge. I've never had problems with E not being up. He has bit of trouble being sustainable early on (though his passive helps a lot; its pretty sweet to exchange harass now actually), but pretty much dominates when he hits 6 (assuming you are laning him mid, I've never done him solo top vs. a bruiser), it is pretty situational though, you have to know when to pick him. I'm fine on his cooldowns, esp with masteries, and I can usually have mana in reserve, especially if I go ROA. If you think his cooldowns are too long there is an array of cdr items that synergize alright with him. He would be too OP if they were any lower, imo (ryze machine gun status, + more dmg, + silence/slow...cmon!)

He is designated as a assassin, imo, because he excels at cleaning up, bursting, and fleeing. And his W is mostly to add to his burst rather than really designate him as a person who buckles down and fights.

Blizzard

Banned
n0b said:
What you people need to understand is that Blizzard has an irrational need to win. He doesn't actually like games, he just likes the big win text at the end and when he sees it it materializes fun in his mind even if he didn't have any.

Though the one thing I do support Blizzard for is trying out jungle routes with a new champion in practice games before going into a normal game. There's nothing I hate more than playing a game with a random jungler that has no idea how to complete his jungle.
You know me too well. One day I'm gonna program a game that just says "you win", and I'll be done with everything!

And thanks for the support! <3

*edit* To be fair, I suspect you and other people who are okay with winning and losing have 50% or better win rates, and are not 40 games behind. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom