• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nome

Halycon said:
Well, if you look at it that way, Flash becomes a stopgap solution to melee having too much mobility. As long as Flash exists, they will continue making these kinds of melee champs just to put them on even footing with ranged champs with Flash, which will make it harder for them to remove/tweak Flash, resulting in a vicious feedback loop.
It's not just that though; gap closing tends to be the skill that pulls other abilities together and creates synergy. Mobility abilities (in a game with a lot of skill shots) actually increases the skill cap of the game.

Also, if you look at the converse, in DotA/HoN where there is no Flash, you have heroes that are STILL designed around getting Portal Key, which is actually even more ridiculous.

Still pretty new to the game. Are IP boosts worth it (the per day and/or the per win)? I don't know exactly how they work or I'd do the math, and Riot's forums are useless.

Specifically, I want some more 3150 heroes and the RP/IP ratio is the worst for those, so if IP boosts give a better ratio I'd consider getting one.

Entwain

FlightOfHeaven said:
I played a different game today; Dark Souls.

Hated it. Thought I'd share.

You sir have made a powerful enemy this day.

Its whats detracting me from league.. must stop but can't

Dooraven

Hmm, so Lol-GAF, what did you guys think of IPL? From the SC2 scene it has been pretty amazing, so how about the Lol version of it?

Entwain said:
You sir have made a powerful enemy this day.

Its whats detracting me from league.. must stop but can't

Do not get me wrong; it's an excellent game.

I fucking hate its guts, though.

Also, the complete and total lack of Jarvan IV in the pro scene makes me the saddest panda you've ever met.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Halycon said:
Well, if you look at it that way, Flash becomes a stopgap solution to melee having too much mobility. As long as Flash exists, they will continue making these kinds of melee champs just to put them on even footing with ranged champs with Flash, which will make it harder for them to remove/tweak Flash, resulting in a vicious feedback loop.
Remove flash. Game Aki.

Definitely need some massive balancing on characters such as Noc, Raven, Aki. Aki would be broken as fuck, if she isn't already.

bjaelke

FlightOfHeaven said:
Also, the complete and total lack of Jarvan IV in the pro scene makes me the saddest panda you've ever met.
He's easily countered by other champions. Just like Curse picked Ryze to counter Dignitas' Talon. I'm sure Jarvan would be picked from time to time if he was a counter to any of the popular choices for top lane. I don't consider his jungle effective enough to be used in a competitive environment.

With that said, the current meta has been tested quite a lot in the recent tournaments. WorldElite went with a Twisted Faith split pusher and two teams tested out Nasus yesterday. Maybe he could make a debut in one of the smaller tournaments, where there is room to experiment.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
bjaelke said:
With that said, the current meta has been tested quite a lot in the recent tournaments. WorldElite went with a Twisted Faith split pusher and two teams tested out Nasus yesterday. Maybe he could make a debut in one of the smaller tournaments, where there is room to experiment.
I could see Nasus make some appearances. The game has become more farmy(What he needs), and just at level 2. He has the best single target slow in the game. If you really want to be nasty. Run him with Exhaust also and do the quick 3 minute gank in on top. Flash doesn't mean shit against 8 seconds of that slow. Its an extremely easy first blood.

Nome

FieryBalrog said:
Still pretty new to the game. Are IP boosts worth it (the per day and/or the per win)? I don't know exactly how they work or I'd do the math, and Riot's forums are useless.

Specifically, I want some more 3150 heroes and the RP/IP ratio is the worst for those, so if IP boosts give a better ratio I'd consider getting one.
Whenever you finish a game, it'll always tell you how much IP you woulda got if you used a boost. So based on your own winnings, you should be able to calculate it out to see if it's worth it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yep. As long as he isn't the S2 guy who said he never actually played LoL, and was going off what his coworker told him. I don't like that kind of thing. I forget just who that was though.

I think Revive needs to have its cooldown lowered. It is supposed to be a Buyback substitute, but it takes so long to come back that it isn't worth it.

Ark

Dooraven said:
Hmm, so Lol-GAF, what did you guys think of IPL? From the SC2 scene it has been pretty amazing, so how about the Lol version of it?

Wait until TSM and CLG play each other.

PoorFate said:
This sounds familiar.

Did you go into the graveyard with skeletons at the start?

No.

I fought the first mini boss after getting all my equipment.

I tried rolling around, couldn't. Obstacles in the way. I'd cleanly dodge the boss's swing, get hit with AoE. I'd finally go around the monster to hit it in the flank, I'd tickle it twice and then back off.

No thanks. The game concept is amazing, and I wouldn't mind seeing videos of people fighting the bosses, but the game is tremendously unfun to play.

Kozak

Banned
I want to stab SummonsInTrouble for his huge boners for towers :L

Playing with the guy is like crack though. I just want it more even though I know its bad for me.

Ark

abS6u.png

First game playing Xerath mid with Xin as jungle. Granted our enemies weren't any good (Fiddle was scared of me the entire time, could have flash & ulti'd me half a dozen times but didn't) and my only death came five seconds before they surrendered :(

FlightOfHeaven said:
No.

I fought the first mini boss after getting all my equipment.

I tried rolling around, couldn't. Obstacles in the way. I'd cleanly dodge the boss's swing, get hit with AoE. I'd finally go around the monster to hit it in the flank, I'd tickle it twice and then back off.

No thanks. The game concept is amazing, and I wouldn't mind seeing videos of people fighting the bosses, but the game is tremendously unfun to play.

I would give you tips but it seems your mind is already made up. To each his own I guess.

Kozak

Banned
Pretty sure everyone who plays this game is a retard.

When you keep dying your supposed to know whats up right? Maybe play a bit more passive?

Nome

Drkirby said:
Yep. As long as he isn't the S2 guy who said he never actually played LoL, and was going off what his coworker told him. I don't like that kind of thing. I forget just who that was though.

I think Revive needs to have its cooldown lowered. It is supposed to be a Buyback substitute, but it takes so long to come back that it isn't worth it.
Nope, actually that is me. But two of my co-workers were competitive players in LoL. I watched one (DivA) win a tourney game at the office while talking to us and not paying attention to the game :) Another one (DOGKaiser) once played a champion he's never played before (Dr. Mundo) and win a finals game.

But hey, firsthand experience is everything, and that's why I'm here!

PoorFate said:
I would give you tips but it seems your mind is already made up. To each his own I guess.

A friend brought it over for me to try out; he lends me the majority of PS3 games I play. He's lent me the God of War series, the Uncharted series, the inFamous series, the Dead Space series, Castlevania, Catherine... wanted me to try out Dark Souls, played it for 15 minutes, hated it. :/

perryfarrell said:
Dignitas vs CLG on the IPL stream, shouldbe a good game

Link please?

Nome said:
Nope, actually that is me. But two of my co-workers were competitive players in LoL. I watched one (DivA) win a tourney game at the office while talking to us and not paying attention to the game :) Another one (DOGKaiser) once played a champion he's never played before (Dr. Mundo) and win a finals game.
But hey, firsthand experience is everything, and that's why I'm here!

Can't have been very good tournaments.

Nome

FlightOfHeaven said:
Can't have been very good tournaments.
You'd be surprised :p

The overall level of skill in LoL tournaments is significantly below that of HoN and DotA. A lot of players tend to use that to say that LoL is a less-skilled game, but there's no evidence to that. Rather, it's just that the level of competition is lower.

That's why you have players like chu coming into LoL with very little experience and dominating. Watching these streams, I recognized Chaox as well. He was a mid-high HoN player before switching to LoL.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nome said:
The overall level of skill in LoL tournaments is significantly below that of HoN and DotA.
Oh snap!

CALLING OUT LOL COMPETITIVE SCENE.

red13th

Can Riot please fire Phreak, his commentary is so annoying and he's a terrible person overall. At least don't make him a commentator. Does anyone remember that first LoL tournament CLG won when he constantly belittled and made fun of the German guys. He would ask the camera to film the faces of the Germans when they lost teamfights and those kind of needless stuff.
I would mute the stream but then I'd be missing Rivington which I most certainly do not want to miss.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
red_13th said:
Can Riot please fire Phreak, his commentary is so annoying and he's a terrible person overall. At least don't make him a commentator. Does anyone remember that first LoL tournament CLG won when he constantly belittled and made fun of the German guys. He would ask the camera to film the faces of the Germans when they lost teamfights and those kind of needless stuff.
I would mute the stream but then I'd be missing Rivington which I most certainly do not want to miss.

*makes excited gasp*

Blizzard

Banned
Banning Caitlyn is a sad day. I saw someone use the new Caitlyn skin last night and it is hawt. VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS, MAN.

Also, I like Riven's button-mashing stuff, but I feel like she really is not very good compared to some of the other recent champions, like Talon or perhaps Wukong. I feel like she has to be so tanky to survive that she ends up not doing a lot of damage in fights compared to other champions -- almost more of a supporting role to dash in a stun people for half a second.

I may try Nidalee a bit more since as far as I know she's considered good even on the competitive scene -- is it possible to keep a reasonable damage output in late game with her?

Achtius

Blizzard said:
I may try Nidalee a bit more since as far as I know she's considered good even on the competitive scene -- is it possible to keep a reasonable damage output in late game with her?

I thought nidalee isn't that good anymore o_O

Blizzard

Banned
Achtius said:
I thought nidalee isn't that good anymore o_O
Well, I would like input if this is the case. I just know on one hand there's learning a champion that can do really well if you're good, and on the other hand there's learning to say, play Karma or Eve on a level that occasionally kills people. Seems like a lot of effort when I could be doing better with someone else. :p

bjaelke

Nidalee's heal got nerfed in the Talon patch but the rest of her abilities were improved. Hotshotgg played her yesterday as part of a poke setup. The javelins were a constant threat to the opposing team and the cougar form allowed him to farm really well and chase/escape.

Ark

RltWm.png

Second best game as Xerath so far tonight. Ended up solo mid against another Xerath, which was just hilarious through and through. Lightning bolts flying everywhere and managed to win a couple of combo-fights by like 40hp simply because I had the level advantage.

Thoroughly enjoying Xerath at the moment <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom