• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
bjaelke said:
True damage is damage that cannot be reduced by either magic resistance or armor. Cho'Gath's Feast is true damage and will always deal the same amount of damage no matter how much armor and magic resistance you're packing.

A rune page full of armor penetration runes and quintessences will penetrate the starting armor of any champion and thus make your damage "true". The highest base armor is around 20, so with enough runes, this can be penetrated. It's not the same as true damage because this can be affected by exhaust and stacking armor.

AEGISX said:
true damage means damage done not reduced by armor or magic resis, champs that has ability to do true damage are: irelia, cho gath, vayne.
lets say your autoattack's damage is 60.
armor reduces physical damage. at level 1, it blocks about 20 damage. so every hit you do is about 40
when you perice all their armor, each hit you are dealing 60. you can clearly see the result in a level 1 fight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p4bMaeO4XA

I get it, but am still semi confused. Does that mean only certain characters can deal true damage or only certain characters have specific abilities that deal true damage like Cho?

Also is this only an AD thing? Would AP magic users also benefit by getting magic penetration?

Brettison said:
I get it, but am still semi confused. Does that mean only certain characters can deal true damage or only certain characters have specific abilities that deal true damage like Cho?

Also is this only an AD thing? Would AP magic users also benefit by getting magic penetration?

Certain abilities have it, and MagPen works with AP the same way ArmPen works with AD.

Blizzard

Banned
Brettison said:

AD users benefit from armor penetration. AP users benefit from magic penetration.

"True damage" is totally different from normal attack damage, ability power, armor penetration, or magic penetration. True damage does an exact amount of damage, ignoring all defense, buffs, or debuffs. Ignite and a few champions can do true damage (Olaf, Irelia, Cho'Gath, Vayne, not sure if anyone else). Nothing else can as far as I know.

There may TECHNICALLY be complications where true damage can be reduced by Poppy's passive, or where a true damage ability can be blocked by a spell shield (banshee's veil), but those are exceptions if so.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't tell if you guys are serious.

I can, I just wish you weren't.

Blizzard

Banned
Jenga said:
he's not exactly a hard character to play unless you're not used to ranged ad
I thought Graves was a ranged character with kinda short range (compared to Kog'maw, Cait, Tristana, might be the same as Vayne). In particular, he has an ability that makes him need to be right in people's faces to get max damage, right? That's like the opposite of what any ranged AD carry is typically going to do, plus ranged AD carries don't get armor buffs mid-battle like he does.

I thought the idea of Graves was to be a close-mid-range tanky DPS person rather than a typical ranged AD carry.

I could be totally wrong. =D

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You don't play Graves short ranged. His Q still does really strong damage even if all three shots don't hit, and he's still and AD carry, so his auto-attack is strong, especially paired with his attack speed buff. He has the same attack range as Miss Fortune, Corki and Vayne, longer than Sivir.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Blizzard said:
I thought Graves was a ranged character with kinda short range (compared to Kog'maw, Cait, Tristana, might be the same as Vayne). In particular, he has an ability that makes him need to be right in people's faces to get max damage, right? That's like the opposite of what any ranged AD carry is typically going to do, plus ranged AD carries don't get armor buffs mid-battle like he does.

I thought the idea of Graves was to be a close-mid-range tanky DPS person rather than a typical ranged AD carry.

Vayne is a good comparison. He's not nearly as strong late game as Vayne, but he's a pretty good counter to her during laning. Their range is exactly the same and he simply has more burst and more utility. Longer range can cause him some problems, but longer range can cause any ranged AD some problems. With a few levels and very few items, though, he can clear entire waves easily with his Q and has an attack speed boost with his dash. The Q doing more damage shouldn't so much encourage you to go in close, as much as it discourages the enemy from getting too close.

Blizzard said:

You are. Go straight Ranged AD as Graves. He has two natural escapes and a shitload of burst that scale off of AD damage. He also has built in tankyness with his passive and an attack speed steroid. No reason not to build him Ranged AD.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Trolling your opponents is a good reason:
ilMp8A4uRBBZ.png

iXcQ3wxXPXjhD.png

Blizzard

Banned
I always complain about how badly I do, but I just had one of the few games where I singlehandedly lost the game for my team, when we were crushing. Our nexus exploded when we were ahead by 11 kills and we were even in turrets a moment before. I was 7/1/7 warwick and tried varying my build slightly, since someone said you can't build the same thing every time -- bam, I died 3 straight times and decided to baron at the wrong time, getting my team killed and losing the nexus.

I am sorry and I hate myself forever. :(

Also it was a bizarre mirror match game. Warwick vs warwick, sona + graves vs sona + graves.

*edit* And then the next one I was like 1/4/6 and fed 2-4 straight times in a row. Why am I so bad now!

Well, I think that's it for me for a good long while. After tonight's showing, I think I need to just go away and play something else, or do productive things.

Blizzard

Banned
SouthernDragon said:
Well, I think that's it for me for a good long while. After tonight's showing, I think I need to just go away and play something else, or do productive things.
I think it was a bad day for everyone. I didn't even play with you and I had my two horrible losses (even though I started 7/1/7 on one), and one of the other GAF people apparently lost 8 in a row today.

I played a 3v3 afterwards that reminded me that Teemo is fun, so at least there was that. :)

Naw, I'm actively dragging games down, and I can't play in peace at home. I'll just wait until I have time to play or something. Won't be for a good while.

Jenga

Banned
Blizzard said:

here's how to play graves

by jenga:

shoot them with right click

if they get close dash back and Q and shoot them

if they're low health dash in and Q and shoot them

if you're getting ganked or they're running away use W

if you're getting rushed or they're running away, dash away/in, Q+W+R and probably kill one of them

congrats on being a graves master

bjaelke

Boken said:
EDIT:
Shaco is one of the new FOTMs. Riot has sensed this.
He's not a new FOTM. AP shaco has been terrorizing ranked for the past two months or so. And I don't mean that in a positive way.

Jenga

Banned
Christ Riven is a fucking terror. What exactly are her weaknesses again (besides not dealing with ranged)? Unless you have some ranged CC (stun, slow, silence) she's going to either 1. leap at you, stun, get free hits, leap away or 2. turret dive, stun, shield hit you and then leap away

Don't get me started on trying to gank her without some ranged CC. 4 leaps and a short AOE stun shit all over singed and udyr

Ferrio

Banned
Jenga said:
Christ Riven is a fucking terror. What exactly are her weaknesses again (besides not dealing with ranged)? Unless you have some ranged CC (stun, slow, silence) she's going to either 1. leap at you, stun, get free hits, leap away or 2. turret dive, stun, shield hit you and then leap away

Don't get me started on trying to gank her without some ranged CC. 4 leaps and a short AOE stun shit all over singed and udyr

Early game you gotta range her and make her scared to farm. Let her be aggressive and you're fucked.

And no she isn't a terror... s he's UP
come on i'm trying to keep riven being powerful under wraps here

dimb

Jenga said:

Yo, that's real rich.

dimb

So use an ability to slow/stop/harass? The only person who couldn't retaliate would be like Shyvana, who would just kinda chase and do AOE damage to the ground or something.

dimb

Jenga said:
You must play against some shitty-ass rivens
Riven shows up in competitive play when Solomid wants to troll in the jungle. That should tell you how well the good Rivens work.

bjaelke

Ferrio said:
So back on losing streak. Currently 1-12 for my past 13 games. THIS IS THE SHIT I HAVE PUT PUT UP WITH

http://i41.tinypic.com/105448p.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
In my experience you can improve the gameplay a lot by queuing for normal draft. Less people use it to test builds and troll compared to blind pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom