• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsayFever

Jenga said:
attack riven - leap away four fuckin times and if you manage to catch up she stuns you

the fuck kinda design is that

NZGpG.gif

broz0rs

bjaelke said:
In my experience you can improve the gameplay a lot by queuing for normal draft. Less people use it to test builds and troll compared to blind pick.

I think the best reason to play normal draft is to ban strong free to play champs that most likely will be picked by terrible players.

I had a blind pick game an hour ago where the first player insta locks Graves. The rest of us picked non-ranged champs. We asked him to go mid, and he told us "fuck off" and went to bot lane. Then two players called him out and he moved to mid because it wasn't being occupied. Graves goes "ok but you fags will regret it" and starts to feed Teemo. He died six times before I told him to go back to bot. I just hugged our turret, got hardly any CS, but didn't give Teemo any more kills.

Graves did a surrender vote four times before we caved in at 30 mins. Why do people like that bother playing this game?

bjaelke

broz0rs said:
I think the best reason to play normal draft is to ban strong free to play champs that most likely will be picked by terrible players.
That's just a bonus in my opinion unless they ban tryndamere and mordekaiser.

Rawk Hawk

I might give this normal draft a try, my games on normal blind around lv14 have basically been I play with people who don't know how to play verse a group of 5 best friends who decided to make lv1 accounts together. Maybe draft will help weed that out.

Wrekt

Try and get comfortable with at least one champ in every role before going draft. It's pretty much a law that if you are only comfortable with Annie, the first 3 douchebags on your team will draft AP carries.

Rawk Hawk

I like Annie and Morgana mainly right now, not that they fill different roles or anything lol. Sona is a lot of fun, but following around bad players to heal them is probably the most annoying thing ever. I've tried Nortune in the jungle, but I can't clear it fast enough without any runes, what I haven't really played is an AD Carry, maybe I'll give Ashe or someone a try.

I do generally play with a couple friends, so between us we split up roles well, but played solo last night, and mid laned Annie verse Annie, and I got rolled over so bad.. I felt bad for myself watching it happen.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Wrekt said:
Try and get comfortable with at least one champ in every role before going draft. It's pretty much a law that if you are only comfortable with Annie, the first 3 douchebags on your team will draft AP carries.
Why are they douchebags if you can only play Annie? I'd say its the other way around.

Rawk Hawk

bjaelke said:
You can go solo top with Morgana against a lot of the "usual" picks.
Yea laning I'm not bad with her or Annie at this point, team fights and general 'where the hell should i be right now' moments are my biggest problems, but the more games I play the easier that's getting. It's a pretty fun game, but I'm just shocked how many players sub lv30 get really mad at you when you aren't an elite player... Isn't that a given when you aren't max level yet?

Wrekt

shintoki said:
Why are they douchebags if you can only play Annie? I'd say its the other way around.
Thus the "Try and get comfortable with at least one champ in every role before going draft" part.

And the first (and maybe 2nd) guy aren't necessarily douchebags, but that 3rd guy definitely is. You don't need 3 AP carries in any circumstance.

bjaelke

Shyvana is so much fun. Despite the 200+ ms latency on the PBE server, she can still gank and clear jungle pretty fast.
Rawk Hawk said:
Yea laning I'm not bad with her or Annie at this point, team fights and general 'where the hell should i be right now' moments are my biggest problems, but the more games I play the easier that's getting. It's a pretty fun game, but I'm just shocked how many players sub lv30 get really mad at you when you aren't an elite player... Isn't that a given when you aren't max level yet?
Stay back until they start to focus someone else on your team and then go in for the ultimate. You might have to use flash offensively to get in the right position.

Edit: Morgana that is.

Mims

Rawk Hawk said:

One thing you will learn as you play this game. Everybody is the best player in the world. No matter what their Elo says they will continue to deny that they belong there and never take any responsibility for any deaths, poor play, and most of all their lack of map awareness.

Rawk Hawk

bjaelke said:
Shyvana is so much fun. Despite the 200+ ms latency on the PBE server, she can still gank and clear jungle pretty fast.

Stay back until they start to focus someone else on your team and then go in for the ultimate. You might have to use flash offensively to get in the right position.

Edit: Morgana that is.
Yea I tried that, and when I have an hourglass I can make it work, but seems like if I don't they are only attacking the tank while waiting for me to do that, I'm thinking about trying out Shen while he is free this week, haven't really played a tanky character yet. Maybe I'll be better at that, haha.

Rawk Hawk

Mims said:
One thing you will learn as you play this game. Everybody is the best player in the world. No matter what their Elo says they will continue to deny that they belong there and never take any responsibility for any deaths, poor play, and most of all their lack of map awareness.
Ain't that the truth.

Blizzard

Banned
Jenga said:
Christ Riven is a fucking terror. What exactly are her weaknesses again (besides not dealing with ranged)? Unless you have some ranged CC (stun, slow, silence) she's going to either 1. leap at you, stun, get free hits, leap away or 2. turret dive, stun, shield hit you and then leap away

Don't get me started on trying to gank her without some ranged CC. 4 leaps and a short AOE stun shit all over singed and udyr
Okay, I know I complain about everything, but you're complaining about Riven? D:

Unless she's farmed, she's not tanky early on. Her dash is very short. Her stun is HALF A SECOND if you have mercury treads/tenacity, I think? If you're ranged, the only thing she can do is try to dash and stun you, or hit you with the ult ranged attack. If she dashes, you should be moving backwards. Half a second isn't much time for her to get free hits, maybe one, or 2-3 if she spams Q and doesn't use those Q hops to escape. And if you're ranged, then her very short Q hops shouldn't get her out of range of your shots.

If she turret dives, bear in mind that her Q hops are again very short and her shield is very small at low levels (like 100-200 HP?).

I feel like you might as well complain about xin with his knockup and dash, or leblanc with the dash and hit and run, or lee sin with dash and hit and run, or jax with his face hump and run.

Jenga said:
attack riven - leap away four fuckin times and if you manage to catch up she stuns you

the fuck kinda design is that
The leaps are small. The dash is short compared to other champions. She probably isn't carrying ghost so flash and exhaust plus a HALF SECOND stun are going to be the other escape options. Compared to something like superspeed (possibly with ghost) nunu/gangplank/rammus, riven should be a little easier to catch. You need CC or slow, and teamwork. If Riven had no way to escape then she'd be even more squishy and dead in teamfights. She doesn't have the firepower to focus people, so she has to be able to jump around in fights and try to run away, killing weak people.

Jenga said:
You must play against some shitty-ass rivens
I'm going to play the jerk card here -- have you played Riven much? Did you see whoever the Dominion guy was (Haly?) who posted the good dominion Riven scores, and then how badly they did when they tried her in the jungle/laning on summoner's rift? Did you notice Rayven's advice not to use her in summoner's rift?

Compared to a good player of other melee or assassin or diving/spinning/running types, say talon/xin/gragas/tryndamere/nocturne/jax/udyr/garen, I think it takes a lot more work/skill to be effective with riven in summoner's rift even on an average level.

broz0rs said:

I had a blind pick game an hour ago where the first player insta locks Graves. The rest of us picked non-ranged champs. We asked him to go mid, and he told us "fuck off" and went to bot lane. Then two players called him out and he moved to mid because it wasn't being occupied. Graves goes "ok but you fags will regret it" and starts to feed Teemo. He died six times before I told him to go back to bot. I just hugged our turret, got hardly any CS, but didn't give Teemo any more kills.

Graves did a surrender vote four times before we caved in at 30 mins. Why do people like that bother playing this game?
This, plus my horrible failure when I tried to play Graves, are why I suggest they're not a very easy AD carry to play despite suggestions from some people otherwise. I have probably seen 2-4 really good Graves, but I feel like the majority are either feeding the other team or like "Oh, Graves is in the teamfight? I forgot he was on their team. Guess I'll just stay out of his way until the rest are dead, or pick him off if he happens to get nuked."

Ferrio

Banned
broz0rs said:

Uh dude... you must of been in my game that I was bitching about last page.

Edit: Actually not... wow graves feeding teemos is an epidemic.

Also enough bad mouthing riven in SR! She's awesome, I rarely rarely have any problems playing as her ever since her buff.

Blizzard

Banned
Ferrio said:
Edit: Actually not... wow graves feeding teemos is an epidemic.

Also enough bad mouthing riven in SR! She's awesome, I rarely rarely have any problems playing as her ever since her buff.
I still think it's sort of the case that to be effective with her, you need to work hard and be rather good. Does it take less effort with a possible higher payoff to use other tanky DPS champions? I suspect so. Point is, I think there are ways to counter her. CC, ranged attacks, and sheer damage should work. I don't think she's overpowered at all. If they gave her a 4 second stun instead of half a second, that would be nice, but Riot would have to make it so only -I- can play Riven in that case.

Graves feeding teemo doesn't surprise me too much since teemo works well against AD carries in general with the blind. If an AD carry gets caught in the wrong position and screws up their Q, teemo may get two or three attacks and possibly poison + ignite. I saw a couple of teemos with heal and you might be like, lol heal, but apparently there's some fairly popular strategy of tower diving mid for first blood when unaware people walk forward onto stealthed teemo and get ignited and dived.

Ferrio

Banned
Inskipp said:
It just needs a faster cast-time imo, it feels really clunky to "launch off"

It's more than that.

1. Lots of time the actual activation helps the enemy or hurts me. Say someone is attacking me... well I can't use my ult cause if I do i'll push them farther into their territory. So I have to dance around them which isn't good cause I'm getting my face beat in.

2. The push isn't consistant (reported lots of times), you'll not drag an enemy even if you fly right over them. So even if you do manage to dance around them, activavte to drag them into your area... you fly right over.... and wooo wasted ult as they run away.

3. The start up/recovery seems very long.

4. Her ult is the only ult in the game (that i can think of) where there's a visual cue that it's ready.

Think it should have a few changes.

1. Make the flight part a secondary cast, like riven's ult. Hit R once turn into dragon, hit it again to fly.

2. Fix the hit box on the drag.

3. Don't display her rage bar to anyone.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
shintoki said:
Okay, someone tell me how do I deal with spammable characters. Aki, Vlad, Kat. I always fold under their pressure.
Just don't leave yourself open to them, let them move into positions where the jungler can gank and abuse them for taking the chances they need to.

Jenga

Banned
Blizzard said:
I feel like you might as well complain about xin with his knockup and dash, or leblanc with the dash and hit and run, or lee sin with dash and hit and run, or jax with his face hump and run.
yeah except your champ examples are OP (lee sin) or were so OP they got nerfed to oblivion (everyone else) which doesn't help your argument

i guess no one will take me seriously until some pro takes riven and rapes everyone with her and she becomes FOTM

Blizzard

Banned
Jenga said:
yeah except your champ examples are OP (lee sin) or were so OP they got nerfed to oblivion (everyone else) which doesn't help your argument

i guess no one will take me seriously until some pro takes riven and rapes everyone with her and she becomes FOTM
I replied point by point, with examples, countering techniques, and so forth to your posts.

Did you just reply to me ignoring all the details except for champion names?

(And as a side note, why do you use capital letters in the middle of your sentences, not at the beginning, and punctuation in the middle, but not at the end?)

Jenga

Banned
Blizzard said:
(And as a side note, why do you use capital letters in the middle of your sentences, not at the beginning, and punctuation in the middle, but not at the end?)
what's that have to do with riven being OP

Blizzard

Banned
Jenga said:
what's that have to do with riven being OP
It doesn't have anything to do with whether Riven is OP, which is why I not only explicitly said it was a side note, but also included it in parentheses to indicate it was parenthetical.

You seem to have replied to me for the second time in a row while ignoring the main point(s) I made. :/

Jenga

Banned
Blizzard said:
It doesn't have anything to do with whether Riven is OP, which is why I not only explicitly said it was a side note, but also included it in parentheses to indicate it was parenthetical.

You seem to have replied to me for the second time in a row while ignoring the main point(s) I made. :/
the beauty of message boards is that I can pick and choose to respond to posts when I like

just wait, your time will come

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Achtius said:
shen is so horrible it's not funny :(

or at least i dont' know how to play him
Go top, be annoying with your ult and pick up kills/assists when people think they're winning.

Wrekt

Just played a game as jungle Skarner. Kassadin (ours) vs Malzahar (mid). I gave him the gank and we got Malz to 10% as he was nearing his turret. I ran forward and sealed the kill without taking a single turret shot. Congratulated my Kass on our first blood. Then I get hit with a

[all] Dara2NE1 (Kassadin): NOOB FUCKING SKARNER STEALING MY KILL I HAD IGNITE ON HIM GG

He raged in chat for the following 20 minutes. Raged because I didn't give him 2nd blue buff. Raged because I only ganked Malz twice by minute 10. Raged because enemy Vayne had a high CS. We eventually surrendered with an even kill ratio and equal number of turrets down just so we wouldn't have to play with him any more.

Inskipp

Wrekt said:
He raged in chat for the following 20 minutes. Raged because I didn't give him 2nd blue buff. Raged because I only ganked Malz twice by minute 10. Raged because enemy Vayne had a high CS. We eventually surrendered with an even kill ratio and equal number of turrets down just so we wouldn't have to play with him any more.
Why not just /ignore?

Wrekt

Inskipp said:
Why not just /ignore?
He was still trying to be productive. Pinging for incs and stuff. Someone can scream till they are blue in the face and it won't bother me. I could just tell he would spend all his time typing and not enough time worrying about how bad Malzahar was kicking the shit out of him at mid.

Feep

Banned
Got to tour Riot Games offices today in Santa Monica! What an incredibly cool workplace.

Also, snapped a picture of this. This is a crystal trophy in their lobby!

75PcI.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
ElectraStar said:
Hey dudes,

Unfortunately this is the only good game I've had in a while; I'm on a terrible losing streak.

HALP!
Nice. And me too. I won those 7-8 in a row and now I'm sucking even with warwick, lost 2-3 in a row today already.

And the new champion will be a yordle, I can feel it. :3

Flare

It would be cool if the new champion utilized the river (ie. Increased movement speed, minor buffs, etc), but I think that would be too anti-fun.

Achtius

Feep said:
Got to tour Riot Games offices today in Santa Monica! What an incredibly cool workplace.

Also, snapped a picture of this. This is a crystal trophy in their lobby!

[IM G]http://i.imgur.com/75PcI.jpg[/IMG]

Why does it have neogaf on it? gaf gave out awards? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom