• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
AcridMeat said:
I quite like Fizz.
I am going to have to steal your build apparently. Also I can never play games with you since you'll be better and thus it wouldn't be right for me to play Fizz. :(

I wasn't sure if starting with doran's would put me at a disadvantage with the speed loss. Did surge work out well for you? I tried ignite/exhaust in a bot game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Had a good game with LoLGAF even though we lost. Kog'maw is pretty ridiculous, just ran up a pretty stupidly high score with him. I'm glad I didn't snap judge buy Graves, because I had a feeling he'd be nerfed after the free week. Kog is just too much as an AD. You can pick up kills so easily, and his ult is just amazing control. Feel kind of dumb for putting off going to Baron, because I was probably the only one who could push them out of there or steal reasonably.

Dooraven

Graves is still a common pick from what I'm seeing (maybe not 1800+ elo, Legato confirm/deny please). Also I'm seeing a lot more Ashes since the CV nerf. Hawkshot ftw.

KJTB

Dunno what was with today but I had an awful day of playing LoL... I lost 7 games in a row. That's definitely the worst losing streak I've ever had :/

Finally got over it by going 18-3-12 with Wukong :D

bjaelke

Does the free rotation in US look like this?
screenshot414921740.png

dimb

No, ours is way different. And not anywhere near as bad.
Ferrio said:
Dismayed how most people still pick flash, such a damn shame.
I let you down.

bjaelke

Dance In My Blood said:
No, ours is way different. And not anywhere near as bad.
You have Brand, Maokai, Shyvana and others in you rotation, right? We were supposed to have those as well (announcement), but Riot apparently decided otherwise...

Nome said:
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by more DotA-like items? I've actually found LoL to have a wider variety of items.

Halycon said:
More significant activated abilities. Although there's a wider range of stats/combinations available to champions, all of them are stats boosts of some kind. It's just mix and match your preferred stats. If items were removed, and you directly bought stats (say, you spend 400g on a Scroll of Attack to permanently boost your attack by 10), the game would be more or less exactly the same.
Of course you could make a similar argument for DOTA.

Boken said:
I think he means game changing items. Items in LoL are in the "do what you do better" category, where as items in DotA allow you change the game as required (generally - strong actives, BKB, Manta style, cyclone stick, hex stick etc).
Honestly, while I'd like more strategic options in item choice + in team fights, I think that LoL champions aren't strong enough for such impactful items (compared to DotA champions).

Pretty much what they said. I wish there were more items that have either strong actives or are more suited to different situations. I remember items builds differing a lot between heroes of the same class in DotA and also from game to game, where in LoL I can get away with similar builds across classes and games.

dimb

bjaelke said:
You have Brand, Maokai, Shyvana and others in you rotation, right? We were supposed to have those as well (announcement), but Riot apparently decided otherwise...
Yeah, ours is Brand, Maokai, Shyv, Blitz, Taric, Ryze, Malphite, Syver, GP, Kog. It's a pretty good week.

Also, people really get mad at me compared to Dunkey.
2HBKr.jpg

(I had like 33 health. Wasn't close at all.)

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Ferrio said:
Dismayed how most people still pick flash, such a damn shame.

Flash still jump over lots of walls, awesome juke tool, buy you a tiny bit of time to kite the enemy, and position yourself perfectly for Sona's Ult.

dimb

Keyboard mashing as Skarner redeems the night. Decisive win. Skarner just dominates everything. Had people with full health dying during the ult duration. Preeeeeeety cool. 3v1ed at one point in our jungle so I focused down the Janna and hoped to get lucky, she ulted in desperation and pushed me to safety across a wall. That's so Skarner.

KJTB

Dance In My Blood said:
Keyboard mashing as Skarner redeems the night. Decisive win. Skarner just dominates everything. Had people with full health dying during the ult duration. Preeeeeeety cool.

That kennen scared me, not gonna lie... until that first pull at bot river where he went 100-0 in seconds. All was well after that :D

dimb

AcridMeat said:
Surviving a team fight with less than 100 health was incredible and the highlight of the night.
When they suicided in for kills I thought they'd pull down something, but that was just crazy.
Dipindots said:
That kennen scared me, not gonna lie... until that first pull at bot river where he went 100-0 in seconds. All was well after that :D
With only one person on the other team getting fed I can just ult and shut them down. Worked out sometimes, other times not as much. Really hard to gank Kennen. He's really underplayed.

Ferrio

Banned
Think I'm going to change up my shyvana jungling strat. Liked the smite/surge but it's killing my early ganking. Overall ganking as her is kinda hard, so I'm not going to go out of my way to do it anymore.

Instead I'm going to go 21-9-0, smite/ghost and hunt down their jungler after I've cleared. If they don't have one i'll just clear their jungle and pick off anyone I can.

Blizzard

Banned
Ferrio said:
*flaunts his*

also I should pick up sivir, i need a troll character.
But you already play Riven and Shyvana, HEYOOOO

Please don't though. My Sivir skin is cooler than you anyway. Also no key flaunting especially when you spend all your time playing LoL anyway! :mad:

Ferrio

Banned
Blizzard said:
But you already play Riven and Shyvana, HEYOOOO

Please don't though. My Sivir skin is cooler than you anyway. Also no key flaunting especially when you spend all your time playing LoL anyway! :mad:

Meh, starting to form an opinion that LoL's approach to the genre is more entertaining. That and the lack of a big group of GAFFERS and the wait to be placed in a group (who actually speaks english) is kinda a pain right now.

Card Boy

Banned
I wish the game had a hardcore mode

-No runes
-No Masteries
-No Summoner spells
-Flash is now an item
-All teleports must be a paid 1 use Portal scroll
-Couriers
-Free team shared Fortify every 5 minutues.
-Gold lost on death
-Buybacks
-Creep Dennying
-Tower dennying
-Player dennying

I really think Riot is losing a big potential player base but not making a Hardcore mode.

'Go a play HoN/DOTA' is not a good answer, i really love the characters and stats system in LoL but i would like to see it in a traditional DOTA sense.

Ferrio

Banned
Gez said:

-No runes
-No Masteries
-No Summoner spells
-Flash is now an item
-All teleports must be a paid 1 use Portal scroll
-Couriers
-Free team shared Fortify every 5 minutues.
-Gold lost on death
-Buybacks
-Creep Dennying
-Tower dennying
-Player dennying

I really think Riot is losing a big potential player base but not making a Hardcore mode.

'Go a play HoN/DOTA' is not a good answer, i really love the characters and stats system in LoL but i would like to see it in a traditional DOTA sense.

I think they'd lose more doing that. Even if they did that barely anyone would care. Most people who do would play dota for the name alone. Not to mention the inclusion of dominion has caused weird balance issues to arrive, imagine trying to balance 3 separate game modes like that.

I think "Go play HoN/Dota" is a great answer. Why mess with this game's formula to appease people who wouldn't play it anyways? Cater to the people who love the game already.

Pretty much the argument you're offering is the same EA/Bioware does for Dragon Age II, trying to appeal to a larger audience, but losing focus on what made them popular in the first place.

Card Boy

Banned
Ferrio said:
I think they'd lose more doing that. Even if they did that barely anyone would care. Most people who do would play dota for the name alone. Not to mention the inclusion of dominion has caused weird balance issues to arrive, imagine trying to balance 3 separate game modes like that.

I think "Go play HoN/Dota" is a great answer. Why mess with this game's formula to appease people who wouldn't play it anyways? Cater to the people who love the game already.

Pretty much the argument you're offering is the same EA/Bioware does for Dragon Age II, trying to appeal to a larger audience, but losing focus on what made them popular in the first place.

Its a mode you dont have to play...just like dominion....

Ferrio

Banned
Gez said:
Its a mode you dont have to play...just like dominion....

Right, but you gotta take into account the man power in creating and balancing such a mode. The heros/items would require huge overhauls for the change. Lots of people are already upset that they wasted time on dominion when it's lesser played, and full of balance issues. Trying to pattern the game off of dota would be a serious undertaking compared to dominion.

Not to mention you start to fragment your playerbase.

brian!

Ferrio said:
Think I'm going to change up my shyvana jungling strat. Liked the smite/surge but it's killing my early ganking. Overall ganking as her is kinda hard, so I'm not going to go out of my way to do it anymore.

Instead I'm going to go 21-9-0, smite/ghost and hunt down their jungler after I've cleared. If they don't have one i'll just clear their jungle and pick off anyone I can.

aaaa you should just lane then, jungle's for gankers!

Blizzard

Banned
Ferrio said:
Which is a job of a jungler. So what's the problem?
Your top and bottom lanes will hate you even more than they already hate you for playing Shyvana jungle. :( Also, your top lane already has 5 deaths since they're a bad player, and your enemy team has no jungler, so it was 2v1, and that tower is down to 20% health.

dimb

Gez said:
I would much rather see Riot focus on changes to the game they made than trying to shoehorn in DOTA mode or whatever. To me it is pretty clear that the game is already in a state of transition, and balance feels precarious and temporary as such. Like Ferrio said, I already think Dominion was a waste of time for Riot that threatens the balance of Summoner's Rift. Another mode would simply compound balance issues and take resources away from improving the core game.
Ferrio said:
Killing their jungler isn't ganking?
I think most people don't care about the enemy jungler as long as they aren't ganking them or taking dragon/baron.
Blizzard said:
Your top and bottom lanes will hate you even more than they already hate you for playing Shyvana jungle. :( Also, your top lane already has 5 deaths since they're a bad player, and your enemy team has no jungler, so it was 2v1, and that tower is down to 20% health.
Ferrio's Shyvana jungle is solid. I vouch for it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Riot is not exactly lacking in resources/manpower.
Nome said:
It's gonna be funny if Dota 2 gets more votes than they have players.
Dota 2 - 5348
Players Online - 2204

GG LoL.

dimb

Halycon said:
Riot is not exactly lacking in resources/manpower.
Well still no sign of the invisibility or jungle changes, although I guess you could argue that the mastery overhaul serves as a stepping stone to the jungle changes. Also: Project Shiny or whatever, which sits in a place of questionable existence.

Summoner's Rift is so ugly compared to the Crytal Scar, and the difference in quality between old models and new models grows larger all the time. The original Ashe model and the new one on her Amethyst skin look like they're from two separate games. The list of things Riot needs to work on is pretty staggering, but at least the changes all seem like they're going to have a positive impact on the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have no basis for this claim, but I feel that the lethargic nature of Riot's balance team is not due to a lack of manpower. I highly doubt Guinsoo is losing sleep because he's up all night crunching numbers and tweaking values. Rather, it is part of their balance philosophy to introduce changes slowly, giving them time to analyze the effects of nerfs/buffs (most online game developers adopt a similar methodology).

Ferrio

Banned
Halycon said:
I have no basis for this claim, but I feel that the lethargic nature of Riot's balance team is not due to a lack of manpower. I highly doubt Guinsoo is losing sleep because he's up all night crunching numbers and tweaking values. Rather, it is part of their development policy/philosophy to introduce changes a little at a time, as is true for most online games where balance is an issue.

Even if that's the case that still would mean a hardcore mode would postpone improvements on the main game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom