• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
That sounds awesome. Where do you live?
Kelowna, BC. Played LoL a few times with a fellow mod of a tiny and ancient website ring, and he mentioned the tourney and that I was decent for my level. Asked me to be the team's 5th. We went 4-2 in the round robin setup, the two losses being to the eventual winners. Hotly contested matches the both of them, but fun and tense games as well.

Blizzard

Banned
I like how on most champion select screens, whether Teemo has a skin or not, there are four champions with super serious expressions, or angry snarls, or mad evil glowing grins, and then there's Teemo who just looks so happy. I got a win tonight (though their fiddlesticks disconnected after like 25-30 minutes thankfully):

Kaptan Teemo ^.^
teemohuuru.png

brian!

I like how on most champion select screens, whether Teemo has a skin or not, there are four champions with super serious expressions, or angry snarls, or mad evil glowing grins, and then there's Teemo who just looks so happy. I got a win tonight (though their fiddlesticks disconnected after like 25-30 minutes thankfully):

Kaptan Teemo ^.^
teemohuuru.png

great! and despite the global taunt too

That's because we're matched with people within our own range.

Otherwise, we get really different experience and skill ranges, and someone on the other team with lots of experience preys on those on our team with relatively less experience.

Swig_

I seriously get stuck with the absolute worst teams. I don't know what I did to Riot, but apparently they've marked me to be queued with the worst players in the game.

This is the shit I put up with in probably 75% of my games, if not more. It's so bad that my friends have noticed and make fun of me for it. I would probably have a few hundred more wins/less losses if I had average players on my team most of the time.

BTW, I had about 6 deaths about 80% of the way through the game. The rest were from me trying to salvage the game. Also, most of their team had much fewer kills just before the last few minutes, since they aced our team about 5 times before winning.

dJPsp.jpg

Before anyone says anything, I occasionally play with IRL friends, but the few that still play LoL are pretty bad too. We also play at work often, on bad connections, so that doesn't really help either. I'm stuck with solo queue the vast majority of the time.

Boken

Banned
Honestly, the people on your team aren't that bad individually - trist and jax had one of the highest farm in the game. (Although I think Jax was trolling with his build...). Trist herself was so strong...

I think the real problem is your team comp - you had no real initiation, both your "AP" carries were melee and nobody could protect Tristana either.

Swig_

Honestly, the people on your team aren't that bad individually - trist and jax had one of the highest farm in the game. (Although I think Jax was trolling with his build...). Trist herself was so strong...

I think the real problem is your team comp - you had no real initiation, both your "AP" carries were melee and nobody could protect Tristana either.

I see what you're saying, but it didn't really apply. Every team fight would go exactly like this:

1- Fight starts, I rush in since I was the tankiest, especially with my ult.
2- I take a lot of damage (They learned to focus me, since I was the only threat on the team), kill 1 or 2 people and die. Two of the people on my team die immediately after.
3- The other two left alive start a futile attempt to escape and get killed eventually.

No one on my team, aside from myself, did any damage. Most of the kills that the others on my team had were them getting a killing blow after I did most of the damage or straight up kill steals. (I'm not the type to complaint about KSing.. it's a team game, and I'd rather them die).

If ONE other person on my team that game had any idea of what they were doing, we probably could have won. The whole team was so passive. They wouldn't push towers unless I was there pushing. On top of that, Sion and Jax constantly got themselves killed by trying to 1v3-4. Trist would start a team fight with a rockjump into the middle of their team, which is heavy AoE. They were bad, there's no other way to describe them... except maybe terribad.

Boken

Banned
They have every reason to be scared. AOE team >>> 4 melee. Nobody can peel Fizz off Trist.

I wasn't in your game so I can't comment from your plays, but you were already losing at champion select. Their CS scores and items indicate that these people arent terrible, despite what you say though (Jax is questionable).

Swig_

They have every reason to be scared. AOE team >>> 4 melee. Nobody can peel Fizz off Trist.

I wasn't in your game so I can't comment from your plays, but you were already losing at champion select. Their CS scores and items indicate that these people arent terrible, despite what you say though (Jax is questionable).

CS doesn't mean anything, especially with Trist. You can farm a lane all day with her E and get high CS.. doesn't make you a good player. What good does it do to have her items when she rocket jumps into the middle of an AoE team and dies? Every time.

As you said, Jax was questionable.

We could have won if at least one of them was decent at best.

I'm just tired of it, it happens almost every game I play, no matter which champ I choose. Either I get a terrible laning partner that gets us killed, no one knows how to lane with a jungler, no one puts down wards or calls mias. It's incredibly frustrating, especially when it seems like half the teams I'm up against are like a finely tuned machine of death.

Boken

Banned
This is not directed at you, but in general...

There's no such thing as constant bad luck in matchmaking. If you're at a crap place, it's because you deserve to be there. If you don't deserve to be there, carry yourself out.

There's 4 people that could be retarded on your team (assuming you aren't) compared to the 5 people on the other team. Which means there is a higher chance that the opposing team would get a troll. If you get an idiot in one game, that's bad luck. But if you get one every game, thats your problem.

I think most people suffer from a selective memory regarding solo queue. It's a lot easier to remember the frustratingly bad games rather than the normal decent ones.

AcridMeat

Banned
I don't play ranked if you're referring to ELO. I'd argue that it's arbitrary to say someone can't have bad luck after a certain number of games. I'm not the best player, but I'm not inept.

I know you were speaking generally but I can only speak on my behalf. :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
One thing I remember from Solo queue, you can't carry your self out playing with Supports. Most games, you honestly would be better off with a 5 man carry team, then you being the one support trying to help other people.

bjaelke

I don't play ranked if you're referring to ELO. I'd argue that it's arbitrary to say someone can't have bad luck after a certain number of games. I'm not the best player, but I'm not inept.

I know you were speaking generally but I can only speak on my behalf. :p
Normal games also utilizes ELO for matchmaking although it is hidden.

You can look up your ELO progress in the last 10 games using http://www.lolstatistics.com - I'm not sure you can see your current ELO.

Jenga

Banned

There's no such thing as constant bad luck in matchmaking. If you're at a crap place, it's because you deserve to be there. If you don't deserve to be there, carry yourself out.

There's 4 people that could be retarded on your team (assuming you aren't) compared to the 5 people on the other team. Which means there is a higher chance that the opposing team would get a troll. If you get an idiot in one game, that's bad luck. But if you get one every game, thats your problem.

I think most people suffer from a selective memory regarding solo queue. It's a lot easier to remember the frustratingly bad games rather than the normal decent ones.
i bet you don't believe in mental disorders either

"you're not depressed, all i hear is that you're sad because you have a bad attitude!"

Blizzard

Banned

Selective memory may be true since I did have the warwick winning streak (solo and not), but I described in detail my 9/10 game solo queue loss streak trying Fizz out. One of those lanes was me getting crushed -- I don't think I fed much but couldn't hold the tower -- but multiple other games had disconnects. In at least two games, TWO OR MORE players on my team simultaneously disconnected at the 30 minute mark. Don't tell me that's my fault or matchmaking made it happen. =P

So sometimes there really is bad luck.

THEN I'M THE WORST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still doubt anyone on GAF has a worse record than me. There was one person worse before the weekend, but after that Fizz streak I only got back up to -54 games last night. :p I can't imagine what my hidden ELO is.

Blizzard

Banned
Aww but it doesn't tell you your actual ELO. It'd be nice to know how terrible I'm really doing.
I will fight you for last place! =P

when I am on a losing streak, I just play bot game for a while to feel better.
I actually find bot games fun for this reason, though sometimes you get someone on your team who gets like 37 bot kills while you're trying to kill a tower, and that somehow makes you feel worse.

Playing Teemo or Riven is another way I have fun, though I'm sure there are far better choices.

Boken

Banned
Selective memory may be true since I did have the warwick winning streak (solo and not), but I described in detail my 9/10 game solo queue loss streak trying Fizz out. One of those lanes was me getting crushed -- I don't think I fed much but couldn't hold the tower -- but multiple other games had disconnects. In at least two games, TWO OR MORE players on my team simultaneously disconnected at the 30 minute mark. Don't tell me that's my fault or matchmaking made it happen. =P

So sometimes there really is bad luck.

Yes there's bad luck. When one or two games are ruined by a disconnect, its not your fault. But repeated tests minimise randomness such as "bad luck". One loss, maybe not your fault. Two losses, still maybe not your fault. Play many many games and lose a majority of those games constantly? That's not match makings fault, it's not bad luck, it's probably you.

Blizzard

Banned
Yes there's bad luck. When one or two games are ruined by a disconnect, its not your fault. But repeated tests minimise randomness such as "bad luck". One loss, maybe not your fault. Two losses, still maybe not your fault. Play many many games and lose a majority of those games constantly? That's not match makings fault, it's not bad luck, it's probably you.
Well just make sure you read the details from the list I posted a page or two ago. :)

I would say that after playing some 500+ games I am at least bad to average, but there are worse players. Do you consider the presence of one bad to average person enough to lose the game, especially if that player consistently has least deaths, near the most kills, tries to coordinate and communicate, tries to hold towers, etc.?

I shall have to try harder. Maybe solo queue Tryndamere would be a good champion to learn.

ElectraStar

Well just make sure you read the details from the list I posted a page or two ago. :)

I would say that after playing some 500+ games I am at least bad to average, but there are worse players. Do you consider the presence of one bad to average person enough to lose the game, especially if that player consistently has least deaths, near the most kills, tries to coordinate and communicate, tries to hold towers, etc.?

I shall have to try harder. Maybe solo queue Tryndamere would be a good champion to learn.

Or avoid solo queue altogether? I generally get a 1:1 ratio, but I find that my chances go up when I'm queuing with one or two other people.

Boken

Banned
I would say that after playing some 500+ games I am at least bad to average, but there are worse players. Do you consider the presence of one bad to average person enough to lose the game, especially if that player consistently has least deaths, near the most kills, tries to coordinate and communicate, tries to hold towers, etc?

Mmm I think my initial point has gotten diluted. Essentially I am saying that there is no such thing as bad luck (feeders, always getting bad people, disconnects etc) over a period of many games.

The point was really directed at Kod1ak since he was complaining that he feels RioT has marked his match making to put the worst players on his team. AcridMeat just unfortunately posted too quickly for me and made it look like I was talking about losses in general.

No, the fact that you lost that game isn't your fault (or not entirely). That you're at your current ELO is your fault though. But if you're playing the best you can then you will eventually move to your proper ELO.

TL;DR the whole discussion - your win/loss is all up to you. There's no such thing as bad luck, match making bias or whatever else people use over a period of 100s of games.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

When you get someone on your team who sucks, its his fault.
When the other team gets someone who sucks, its your skill.

Elo is an individual skill, based in a team game. Its impossible for it to be perfectly accurate. But it should average out to give you a decent estimate. Like normal, you'll hit streaks. Both good and bad. I just came off about 10 of my last 12, or losing about 8 out of 10. It happens. If I say, I seldom lose lanes when I play a support on bottom. Last game was a lost, but we ended up 5-2 in kills, their tower down 12 minutes in, and Dragon control for the first two. We had an intentional troll on top(I hope, he was 1/10/0), and a center who decided to play LeBlac but turned out to be a pussy. It was a loss even though their bottom was crushed. And its not like I played perfectly either. Our jungle and bottom had some strong momentum going, but we didn't capitalize on it. Honestly, we played far too passive. Our jungle would run away from a 3v2, just because she didn't have her ult. That's how it went. Top just fed more while we did nothing on bottom.

I also know the faults with my play too. I can do very well with tanks and support. Anything else, not really. My natural play is too passive. Its why I have trouble with Vlad, Kat, and Aki so much. Its also why my AD carries are so awkward compared to how smooth I play support or tanks. I'm decent with AP carries, Malz, Morg, Brand, etc).

I'll be blunt, I belong around the 1400's.

Yea, I'm definitely a mid-1400s player as well. I might be able to squeak it out in the 1500s if I had a consistent duo-partner. I play a lot of Ranked with Slouisk, who I think most of you guys met by now. The main problem is, he is an amazing Ranged AD carry, but he always has last pick because he's lower Elo than me. It's hard to convince the team to let him have that position. If he gets it, we split up our skill and I go some other lane while he carries bot. We probably win 80% of our games when that happens, maybe 50% when it doesn't.

In solo queue, my problem is if I get first pick and Kassadin is banned, I don't really have a strong pick to go with because my other mains then have easy counters. If I go WW first pick, I often see a Rammus, Blitz, or Ali that pretty much counter me with their CC. If I go Teemo, I often see a Shaco jungle (impossible to push hard against), and another ranged champ top (Teemo is more of a counter pick to someone like Trynd, Singed, of Cho top). Singed is my other go to #1 pick, but I really can't deal with someone like Wukong as him. Nocturne and Gangplank are my most common picks first because I know I can play solid all the way through the game with them.

I'm thinking of honing my skills with Rammus and Maokai as I go into Season 2, I think both are finally re-entering as viable in the meta. My support is still probably the weakest area. I can play a really solid Taric, but I feel completely useless if the team starts losing. Hopefully Karma gets buffed a bit so I can start playing her in Ranked more. She is the most fun to play as out of all the supports (hell I might just start playing her anyways, I always do well as her).

*Sorry, random ramblings from someone who is stressed out by exams right now haha.

Rawk Hawk

Also, totally random, but how many people are posting from work or school?

Pretty much the only place I post from is work, lol.

Popped in the NeoGAF room a couple weeks back but everyone was AFK or in game. If I have the chat window open and start a game, will messages from the chat room show up in game like the player to player chat windows (meaning you could also type /r to respond to group chat)?

Blizzard

Banned
Pretty much the only place I post from is work, lol.

Popped in the NeoGAF room a couple weeks back but everyone was AFK or in game. If I have the chat window open and start a game, will messages from the chat room show up in game like the player to player chat windows (meaning you could also type /r to respond to group chat)?
No, you only see group chat once you are out of the game.

Ferrio

Banned
Think I might start solo ranking to see how far I can climb. Comfortable enough now with jungling I might be able to make some progress. Though shyvana/riven aren't the best junglers so I'll be holding myself back.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
See Shaco mid in ranked when I'm Annie. "Uh, ok."

Shows up to lane with red. "Uh, ok."

Ganks bot and top even after warning MIAs. "Uh, ok."

Still crush because of farm and go 7/2/7. Tibbers over Baron wall for a double kill. "Yeah, pretty much what I expected."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom