• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWong

Banned
PedroLumpy said:
Hmm runes seem to be expensive. Guess you shouldn't go to wild on buying champions on your way up to lev 30.
Runes don't play a huge part in late game. I'm level 27, just switched characters, my runes are almost all wrong for my character, and I still do really well.

Runes add a bit to the meta game and gives the impression of persistence and progression, but it doesn't outbalance the game over player skill.

Mairu

So a friend got me to download this yesterday and I had a blast playing for ~8 hrs straight. Anyone have any tips on heroes to try for a total newbie? I didn't play Dota or HoN at all but I started getting the hang of this last night. I've been playing Ashe mostly and kinda like the ability to slow runners pretty well and the stun seems pretty good. Mostly buying items to increase atk speed but I'm not sure if that is what I should be doing either.

IcedTea

Mairu said:
So a friend got me to download this yesterday and I had a blast playing for ~8 hrs straight. Anyone have any tips on heroes to try for a total newbie? I didn't play Dota or HoN at all but I started getting the hang of this last night. I've been playing Ashe mostly and kinda like the ability to slow runners pretty well and the stun seems pretty good. Mostly buying items to increase atk speed but I'm not sure if that is what I should be doing either.
Ashe is definitely good for learning the ropes with. Master Yi is really straightforward too if you are into melee. Ryze is a good starter for a mage, and Garen for melee/offtank.

The recommended items are decent for all champions, and they're a great place to start with. Eventually you'll want to start making your own item builds to fit your playstyle, but the recommended items are great if you're not sure.

For more in depth champion and item builds, check out http://leaguecraft.com

y2dvd

Mairu said:

Go into practice mode and just mess with every character and see what you like. I recommend starting out with a tank though so you can survive better you being new and all.

After messing around for several games with Ez AP vs AD build, I have to go with AP. With Soulstealer stacked, all 3 abilities does massive dmg vs just Q with the AD build. Plus, I'm never standing around auto-attacking long enough to take advantage of AD item build.

Can someone just give me a quick rundown of which dudes are hard tanks? Every time I read a guide on what I think is a tank I see blah blah blah you aren't the initiator blah blah blah. I wanna have access to one of those initiator characters in case no one else on the team is taking one.

VaLiancY

PedroLumpy said:
Can someone just give me a quick rundown of which dudes are hard tanks? Every time I read a guide on what I think is a tank I see blah blah blah you aren't the initiator blah blah blah. I wanna have access to one of those initiator characters in case no one else on the team is taking one.

Shen & Rammus come to mind. They both have mitigation abilities.

Edit - Free Akali this week. :D I know we have some Akali whores, I need tips. I know someone told me buy Tier 1 damage runes so I can proc an ability at start.

A tank who is good at initiating? Amumu, Rammus, Alistar, Shen, and Maliphite. All have some sort of AoE/Disable. Some off-tanks or ones who aren't great at initiating are Garen, Taric, Mordekaiser (he can go straight tank), Blitzcrank, ChoGath (he can be straight tank), Nasus, and Singed. I like to have one from both groups on my team normally. One who is great at Crowd Control (CC), one who has other uses but can take a beating.

Then you have one mage, one physical DPS, and one support. That is my ideal team.

Odrion

Banned
Rammus and Shen are my favorites due to their taunt. You can initiate, and if your team doesn't push in you can just taunt and pull one of their teammates to you.

I guess Blitzcrank works with this too, but he's less reliable and all the guides tell me to build him in some other dumb way.

Heimerdinger is in this week's free rotation. Oh god, oh god why.

Odrion said:
Rammus and Shen are my favorites due to their taunt. You can initiate, and if your team doesn't push in you can just taunt and pull one of their teammates to you.

I guess Blitzcrank works with this too, but he's less reliable and all the guides tell me to build him in some other dumb way.

Heimerdinger is in this week's free rotation. Oh god, oh god why.

It's almost as bad as free twitch week. Almost.

Alex

Blitzcrank is awesome, what a troll of a character.

Heimer can fuck off and die. I won't be happy until he's nerfed so hard that he's useless.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I love heimer. I hope he's nerfed TO THE GROUND BABY so I can buy him and actually get to use him later on.

y2dvd

I've seen some nasty Rammus. There's no escaping sonic spin, especially with flash! I haven't messed with him but he looks like a lot of fun to boot.

Alistar seems like a great initiator. Flash into the middle of a crowd, stun, knock front man into your group.

Cho is a decent tank. Initiating with Rupture and SILENCING their CC can be killer. Nothing's more satisfying than watching Annie walk up ready for tibbers, only to get silenced and owned.

Man, stacking runes really helps out. I played with Ashe from level 1-20 w/o runes and I thought she just hits too lightly. Flash forward to level 30 where I got amr pen and crit increase and she's hitting so much harder. Plus the movement speed helps. Runes definitely makes a noticeable difference.

Man, Akali kicks all sorts of ass. The best part is that she is good 1v1 and in team fights because she can just pop in and out of her AoE thing. I got full stacks in a ranked game on Majai's, and if you get Hextech Revolver she has even more burst, which is great.

VaLiancY

Meet your new champion, Urgot.

There are warriors who become great for their strength, cunning, or skill with arms. Others simply refuse to die. Urgot, once a great soldier of Noxus, may constitute a case in support of the latter. Prone to diving headlong into enemy battle lines, Urgot sewed chaos throughout the enemy ranks, often sustaining grievous injuries in the process. When his body was unable to weather further abuse, the crippled Urgot was delegated the position of High Executioner of Noxus. By this time, his hands had been ruined and he could barely walk. Scythe-like grafts affixed to his maimed limbs served to carry out his bloody work.

Urgot finally met his end at what should have been his finest hour. Because of his military background, he often accompanied detachments into foreign territory to carry out judgment. After ambushing an enemy force, Jarvan IV, Crown Prince of Demacia, fell into the clutches of Urgot's division. Too far from Noxus to risk transporting their prize for ransom, Urgot prepared to dispose of their captive. At the final moment, however, the Dauntless Vanguard, led by Garen, the Might of Demacia, intervened, and Urgot was cut in two by the zealous warrior as he scrambled to free his Prince. In recognition of his service, the executioner's remains were remanded to the Bleak Academy for reanimation. A lifetime of abuse, however, had left his body in a catastrophic state; proving problematic to the necromancers' craft. Professor Stanwick Pididly, the prevailing scholar of Zaun, offered a solution. Within Pididly's laboratories, a nightmarish new body was forged for Urgot. Now as much machine as man, Urgot arrived at the League of Legends in search of the man who ended his life; necromantic energies coursing through his metal veins.

''We can rebuild him. We have the techmaturgy.'' --Professor Stanwick Pididly

FKldw.jpg

VgZ0C.png

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Looks pretty cool, but the art style doesn't seem to fit that well with the LoL theme imo.

And as an aside: it took the longest time for me to realize this thread changed forums. I never visit the online forum and was searching for this thread and the HoN thread. :lol

Plissken

Wow, that's.......really ugly! But his abilities sound cool. So, we've now had like 8 male or monster champs in a row, how about a new female champ? Preferably either a Pirate or a Cowgirl. Mostly Cowgirl please. :D

Odrion

Banned
Actually someone got into the game's PTR files and discovered that there is going to be a champion that sounds like a gun toting female assassin.

They also added a few spells for "Miss Fortune" called Bullet Time, Impure Shots, Make it Rain and Ricochet.

Plissken

Odrion said:
Actually someone got into the game's PTR files and discovered that there is going to be a champion that sounds like a gun toting female assassin.

Awesome! The game needs more gun wielding champs in general, and another female champ will be welcomed.

Mairu

JWong said:
Server Status: Busy....???

What the heck does that mean?
Game has been totally fucked up for the past few hours... hopefully they'll fix it soon :/

Riot Forums said:
5:20 PM PDT: We're aware of the issues some players are experiencing with delayed game starts after champion select. We believe all games should start eventually, so please try to be patient while waiting for games to start at the end of champion select.

We recently added more game servers and we believe the slow game start issue is related to those new servers trying to allocate games too quickly as they try to catch up to the same number of active games as the servers that were already active.

5:50 PM PDT: We're aware that players are experiencing further issues with game starts, disconnects, and log in issues with PVP.net. We're looking into the problem now. We'll update again in 15 minutes or as soon as we have more information on the situation.

6:05 PM PDT: PVP.net appears to be recovering now. The source of the problem was internal server-to-server communication, and doesn't appear to be directly related to the new game servers we added. The servers are still set to busy to ensure stability, but we'll be allowing players to log in again as soon as we can (around 30 minutes, tentatively).

6:40 PM PDT: PVP.net has fully recovered, and all players should be able to log in any time.

7:05PM PDT: PVP.net is experiencing issue again. We're looking into the problem now. We'll update again in 15 minutes or as soon as we have more information on the situation.

7:20 PM PDT: There are no new updates at this time, but we are still looking into the cause of the issue. We'll update again in 15 minutes or as soon as we have more information.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=212400

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Their site keeps going down as well. This is probably a good night to go play TF2 or Minecraft or something.

Mairu

Riot Forums said:
7:35 PM PDT: We are going to be restarting our servers in the very near future. We expect the total downtime to last around 2 hours. PVP.net should be available again by 9:35 PM PDT. As always, thanks for being patient while we try to increase our server's capacity.

All XP and IP boosts are always extended for the length of any server downtime.
:(

LonelyIsland said:
Add me up for a pro Ashe/Twitch

LGPounder

Pretty much no such thing for either :p

I see about 1 in 6 who play Ashe decently. Maybe 1 in 10 for Twitch.

Anyways, just had my first 3v5 victory in Ranked. Our mid Ashe rage quit because of supposed lag, and we had a Jax not connect at all. I was Akali and had top against Vlad and Udyr. Pretty much held them off for the first 10 min, and when Udyr went off somewhere got first blood on Vlad. Pretty much snowballed from there for me. Our Fiddle had a few great ults on their team and our Singed was running them across the map, I was picking off the stragglers after Fiddle's ult. I went 20-3-8, Fiddle went 10-5-17, and Singed went 10-6-10. Pretty sweet game after a frustrating start. My passive was giving me some insane amount of damage to turrets by the end, I could solo the turrets pretty easily.

Azar

Just had maybe my best win as Veigar, and against a decent team too. Things really fell apart for them once team battles started happening, but they got a fair number of kills. But not on me. :D

muffinwins.jpg

Azar said:
Just had maybe my best win as Veigar, and against a decent team too. Things really fell apart for them once team battles started happening, but they got a fair number of kills. But not on me. :D

muffinwins.jpg

Good sir, you're missing your Mejai's.

LonelyIsland said:
ahah, I beg to differ:

http://twitpic.com/2etk3l

my most recent best with ashe...

So you are that 1. Really, Ashe gets screwed over in ranked games. She is too squishy and doesn't have the capability of easily escaping a gank if there are other stuns involved. Her stun is one of the best in the game, but you really have to be a good distance away for it to make a difference. Any team with a Shaco or someone who can easily close that distance between her and a fight will easily kill her. As far as ranged DPS goes, I prefer having Tristana on my team, she is much more versatile.

Azar

Legato.Reborn- said:
Good sir, you're missing your Mejai's.
Yeeeah, usually I'm too afraid of dying to think I can build a good stack with Mejai's. And then the games I'm doing this well in, I don't really need it anyway.

IcedTea

Well, Shaco and Heimer just got hit out of the park by the nerf bat. Can't say I feel too bad about it either, but still, ouch.

Shaco
· Deceive
o Cooldown increased to 11 from 10
o Duration to 3.5 from 4 seconds
· Hallucinate
o Cooldown increased to 100/90/80 from 90/75/60
o Duration reduced to 18 from 30
o Guardian Angel no longer revives the clone although will apply the passive particle
· Backstab (passive) bonus damage reduced to 20% from 25%
· Two Shiv Poison no longer blinds the target
· Jack In The Box will now break stealth upon cast

Heimerdinger
· H-28G Evolution Turret
· Maximum turrets changed to 1/2/2/2/2 from 1/2/2/3/3
· H-28G Evolution Turret rank 4 now grants +100 bonus health to new turrets
· Cooldown modified to 26/23/20/17/14 from 24/22/20/18/16
· CH-1 Concussion Grenade no longer affects towers or buildings
· CH-1 Concussion Grenade ability power ratio increased to .6 from .55

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sometimes you get an awesome streak, sometimes you don't. About 16-17 wins and 5 losses in the last 20 or so games. Two loses were solely because of quitters =[

IcedTea said:
Well, Shaco and Heimer just got hit out of the park by the nerf bat. Can't say I feel too bad about it either, but still, ouch.

Shaco
· Deceive
o Cooldown increased to 11 from 10
o Duration to 3.5 from 4 seconds
· Hallucinate
o Cooldown increased to 100/90/80 from 90/75/60
o Duration reduced to 18 from 30
o Guardian Angel no longer revives the clone although will apply the passive particle
· Backstab (passive) bonus damage reduced to 20% from 25%
· Two Shiv Poison no longer blinds the target
· Jack In The Box will now break stealth upon cast

Heimerdinger
· H-28G Evolution Turret

Goodbye Shaco, the ride was fun. Now go join TF, Tryn, yi, etc. They are lonely.

BluWacky

IcedTea said:
Heimerdinger
· H-28G Evolution Turret

Hmmm. The Concussion Grenade nerf makes sense because it was a bit of a swizz, but he's lost most of his pushing power now with that and the decreased number of turrets. Maybe maxing Concussion Grenade first will be more sensible than upgrading turrets in future for the blind and stun.

BluWacky said:
Hmmm. The Concussion Grenade nerf makes sense because it was a bit of a swizz, but he's lost most of his pushing power now with that and the decreased number of turrets. Maybe maxing Concussion Grenade first will be more sensible than upgrading turrets in future for the blind and stun.

I always thought it was unfair that it was hitting towers.. but yeah, R.I.P. Heim, no longer are you a soloing force.

VaLiancY

:lol @ Shaco nerfs.

That sucks. The only problem I have with Shaco is his blink. Heimer can die in a fire. So nothing of value was lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom