• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volodja

Archie said:
http://leaguecraft.com/

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/learn/new_user_guide

The best beginner advice I could give is don't play overly aggressive unless you know you can get a kill. It is generally better to not die and not get a kill over suiciding for a potential kill. And don't play near opposing towers since they are incredibly powerful.
Thanks, the whole "do not feed the enemy" concept is pretty clearly pivotal, but I got it playing Demigod.
I suppose the rest is just playing and reading.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
great! thanks for all your help dudes

i'll be playing my first game tonight so if any GAFfers don't feel bad playing with a total noob, my name is "jonbones"

Rayven

aka surume
If you don't see your name in #2 of this thread and you want to play with GAFers, post it and I will update the list.

Volodja

So, I have a left handed mouse even if I'm not left handed, so I use it with the buttons inverted so that it works like a normal right handed mouse.
The game ignores my settings this and still treats it with the left handed settings.
Well, that's not really that problematic after all but the first instinct when moving is clicking the right button and the left when I'm in the menus and doing the opposite is weird.

y2dvd

Jazzy Network said:
God Xin is a beast. Been doing well with him. Even got a quad kill in 1 game. He' still OP as hell.

Xin sometimes gets banned in ranked games. Dude still hits like a beast.

Alex

Fighting Urgot in the mid three times, while it was just random matches (I'm no pro), I don't find him scary in the least. The first time you eat a a barrage from him it's a bit shocking, but once you get used to the mechanics it's fairly easy to avoid in a 1 v 1 situation.

Late game he doesn't seem to be anything noteworthy at all. That said, I hope they lay off the tank hybrids for awhile.

Mairu

It's *really* easy to avoid Urgot's E, the cast time is long enough for anyone who is paying attention to dodge. I still think he is pretty good early game, his Q does a good amount of damage to anyone.

He does seem mostly useless late game though. His abilities don't scale very well so his damage is pretty pitiful and his tanking isn't really great enough to make him worth it as a sole tank late game. He's kinda fun for interesting setups with the switcheroo ability, but the range is so short it isn't really as useful as it could be.

caromelo

I think it might be a good idea to add our forum names to our LoL accounts. That way we can better associate who's who in game or in the forums. If you want, I could take some time and go through the thread and match things up.

jon bones said:
just played my first game, our team ended up winning

my pitiful stats
1 / 18 / 3

but man was that fun

Yeah, that's about par for someone who hasn't played a DotA style game before. Hopefully you learn from your mistakes and go from there.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
VaLiancY said:
Xin is a great initiator with his ultimate.

Amumu + Crowstorm + Crescent Slash = :lol :lol :lol
Amumu's ultimate is devastatingly overpowered regardless of whose it is paired up with.

Fiddlesticks, Nu, Xin. All off the top of my head. Basically any AE attacks.

jon bones

thestopsign said:
Yeah, that's about par for someone who hasn't played a DotA style game before. Hopefully you learn from your mistakes and go from there.

yea i'm slowly getting a feel for it. did much better my second game

IcedTea

shintoki said:
Amumu's ultimate is devastatingly overpowered regardless of whose it is paired up with.

Morg most of all, I think. As soon as Amumu's ends, Morg's stun procs. Plus Morg can shield Galio/Nunu/Kat so that their ults can't be interrupted. It is pretty lulsy.

y2dvd

Does Mercury boots not reduce the stun on Galio's ult? I think the only way to break out of it is cleanse and I haven't even tried that yet. Flash Galio has been doing well from what I've seen.

"Does Mercury boots not reduce the stun on Galio's ult? I think the only way to break out of it is cleanse and I haven't even tried that yet. Flash Galio has been doing well from what I've seen."

I'm pretty sure it does. I was able to get out of it mashing flash with merc treads. Cleanse definitely works.

Originally Posted by Legato.Reborn-:
I think we can all rejoice in the fall of the poking metagame. (It's still there somewhat, but not like it was).

care to expand on what that is?

Okay, so basically in LoL you'll have monthly metagames. These metagames are team compositions that synergize very well together (the heroes) and rape just about all other compositions out there.

The poking meta has been the favorite in the past few months or so. (Is slowly dying now in favor of others ie; AoE comps)

The God tier poking team was, Ezreal, Janna, Heimerdinger, [Insert 2 support/tanks] ie; Morgana/Taric, Amumu/Shen.

If they were a competent team, you WOULD NOT beat them. Under no circumstances. By the time you got to heimer's front line you were dead from all the poking/kiting.

It was horrible for solo-que's. Hell, even 5v5's were difficult.

(I'll be honest here, I would pick the healing meta (soraka,taric,kayle,etc) back in January a million times over the poking.)

VaLiancY

shintoki said:

I've been seeing Amumu a lot more often now. More often then Shen and Rammus.
Even before the Shen nerf.

jon bones

damn, this game is deep as hell

i'm gonna mess around with a couple of the free champions again tonight and probably bite the bullet and buy a couple pay-for champs

amumu and teemo look like fun dudes

any other suggestions for noob friendly champs to pick up?

i enjoyed starting with ashe because she had a nice spread-shot to help put a dent in minions and her Big Shot move was a nice way to put a dent in & hamper an enemy Champion

i did not enjoy starting with ashe because of her lack of melee options and seemingly low health

jon bones said:

i'm gonna mess around with a couple of the free champions again tonight and probably bite the bullet and buy a couple pay-for champs

i enjoyed starting with ashe because she had a nice spread-shot to help put a dent in minions and her Big Shot move was a nice way to put a dent in & hamper an enemy Champion

i did not enjoy starting with ashe because of her lack of melee options and seemingly low health

She's a DPS carry, if you make it to 45min with her, you'll 1shot other carries.

y2dvd

jon bones said:

She should always be in the back row anyways.

Annie is admittingly pretty easy to play. It's so easy to last hit with Q, insuring you'll have plenty of mana. Q is also a target spell which makes things so much easier. Her burst dmg is insane if you get Mejai stacked. Stun Tibbers helps tremendously in team fights. Only problem is she's fragile (but no more than ashe imo) and stun rotates every fifth spell which can be a problem if team fights last a little while.

jon bones

thanks for all your help, dudes

another question: is it always a good idea to go with the "recommended items" or should i experiment with other things?

Alex

The recommends are hit and miss, they need to (and are, I believe) update them for the current iteration of the game.

If you're looking for simple starter picks or guides, you could just go to mobafire, pick the character and find the highest rated guide. They'll usually list ideas and theories for everything from items to runes to masteries, skill order, etc.

Helpful as a newer player until you can get into the discussions and branch out in your preferred ways.

sohois

jon bones said:

another question: is it always a good idea to go with the "recommended items" or should i experiment with other things?

The recommended items are generally ok, but after a while you should really have your own builds for heroes and have an idea of what items are generally good and what are generally bad. For example, you should never bother buying Malady (get Stark's Fervor), Berzerker Greaves (Merc treads are generally the best boots) or Wartmogs armor (rod of ages is often a better bet).

Also a lot of heroes can be built in different ways, like Sion who can go straight tank, AP or AD. Recommended will only give you one option.

jon bones

GAF stays helping noobs.

mobafire is a great resource - the community for this game is huge

i might as well drop 20 and get the boxed set if i'm going to spend 10 and get a new character anyway.

IcedTea

sohois said:
The recommended items are generally ok, but after a while you should really have your own builds for heroes and have an idea of what items are generally good and what are generally bad. For example, you should never bother buying Malady (get Stark's Fervor), Berzerker Greaves (Merc treads are generally the best boots) or Wartmogs armor (rod of ages is often a better bet).

Also a lot of heroes can be built in different ways, like Sion who can go straight tank, AP or AD. Recommended will only give you one option.
Another thing is that your item build should depend heavily on both your teammates and your opponents. Item builds are very nice for starting players, but later on, once you know all the items really well, you'll want to basically pick one or two really core items for your champ and then just buy stuff depending on how the match is going.

Examples:

They have a ton of cc? Pick up Merc Treads and Banshees
They have no cc but a ton of melee? Pick up Ninja Tabi and Thornmail
Your team is already up 8-0 in kills? Pick up a Mejais and a Guardian Angel so that you quickly get even further ahead and stay further ahead.
You notice they have an early Aegis/GA and have a decent amount of armor and magic resist? Pick up some armor or magic pen items instead of rushing that Rylai/Bloodthirster.

Could go on forever, but you get the idea.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
jon bones said:

Every class needs Boots. Basically movement speed or you'll lose too many Killing Blows, and get ganked too much. Normally, they will be one of the first 2 items people get.

VaLiancY

Another day, Another bad Ashe with Clarity rushing Level 3 boots and attack speed first and Katarina with two Hearts of Gold while I'm on my 2nd BF sword.:lol

Milabrega

What's wrong with Clarity on Ashe? Lets you stay productive without having to buy pots or mana regen so you can save for an Early BF Sword. Your Ashe didn't go for the BF, but I feel like you must have highlighted the clarity as though it was mistake as well.

VaLiancY

Milabrega said:
What's wrong with Clarity on Ashe? Lets you stay productive without having to buy pots or mana regen so you can save for an Early BF Sword. Your Ashe didn't go for the BF, but I feel like you must have highlighted the clarity as though it was mistake as well.

Clarity is a waste of a summon spell on Ashe. If you need Clarity it means your spamming Volley to kill creeps instead of last hitting properly. I'd rather have Cleanse and Ghost to get out of a hairy situation then to have a spell that loses it's usefulness mid to late game.

Macattk15

My last two games with Twisted Fate ... I went 12-3-10 and 26-2-0.

This was AP TF. GOLD card at the end of the game was doing half hp in damage. Then Lichbane proc would just 2 shot them.

Not to mention my Wild Cards hitting for 600-700.

Odrion

Banned
jon bones said:

I really love Amumu and he's a great tank. Although the best way to play him is the jungle game and you'll need to be around 20 to have the runes/masteries to make that possible.

Regardless, if you play him safe in the laning phase he'll have incredible utility in team fights. His ultimate (his AOE snare) will turn the tide of battle and and is a great initiator.
jon bones said:
GAF stays helping noobs.

mobafire is a great resource - the community for this game is huge

i might as well drop 20 and get the boxed set if i'm going to spend 10 and get a new character anyway.
I bought the Collector's box, and then the Champion pack with the $10 points you get with the Collector's box. So $35 for about, what, forty champions?

Not sure if I would suggest it, I don't think I've touched half of them yet and learning how to play a new Champion can put more stress on your team. It also fucks up your ARAM game if you get rando'd with a champion you've never touched. But then again, it's a good value and it'll give you the opportunity to figure out how certain champions work (practice matches with bots), and that information is super useful when fighting those champions.

But it also isn't too hard to save up IP, ten or so matches will get you around 1350, which'll allow you to buy some pretty effective champions (doesn't matter about their price, Kayle and Soraka are the cheapest Champions at only 450 IP and are also some of the best.)

Also, the runes with the Collector's set are somewhat worthless. I say somewhat because while they aren't the most useful (a Quintessence that decreases Rez time by 5%), they are tier 3 runes that you can use before level 20.

Alex

I only seem to take Clarity for Kayle or Taric.

It's really nice on Taric, especially since you can nab improved and keep pushing up at full strength after the party burns all it's MP after a fight.

jon bones

lol

paid 20 bucks for the game and now i can't play cause the server is busy

i'll play 3rd strike with my roommate until valve comes out with a dota game, this is kinda bullshit

Macattk15

jon bones said:
lol

paid 20 bucks for the game and now i can't play cause the server is busy

i'll play 3rd strike with my roommate until valve comes out with a dota game, this is kinda bullshit

Up down left right up up down down

do that at the login screen when it says busy. poor non-knowing bunch of peeps.

Alex

Valve's game will have issues too. I suggest staying offline entirely if you're one of those types who rages at the occasional block of server troubles. =/ No matter how much money or experience or skill, shit happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom