• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
You want to toss Q in after every cast to maximize damage. The W, R and E are interchangeable depending on the situation, but they should all follow a Q like Q-W-Q-R-Q-E-Q
E shreds magic resist so I would guess that hitting it early in a fight can help, especially a teamfight.

Interestingly I just looked up Ryze's ratios and they're pretty low (0.2, 0.6, 0.35), though the 0.35 can go up if you get lots of bounces. Mana ratios are 0.08 and 0.05 for Q and W. I guess if you get enough money for AP items late game though, it's still worth it if you live long enough to get 6-8 spells off.

Blizzard

Banned
ßthePenguin;33021689 said:
@Blizzard

they always nerf the new guys in the second next patch. Fizz is goin down in 2 weeks 100% ;/
Well, that significantly dampens my enthusiasm for spending 6300 IP on release in the future, let alone real world money. 2-4 weeks isn't enough. I demand new champions be OP for at least 6 weeks!

Double

;D

I can still remember the borderline OPness of Win Nhao back then. Totally broke the game lol.

btw nobody able to gift me dead space 2 us? :> got paypal and shit

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ßthePenguin;33021689 said:
@Blizzard

they always nerf the new guys in the second next patch. Fizz is goin down in 2 weeks 100% ;/
Yorick, Skarner, Leona, and Xerath have all either held up or been buffed.

Blizzard

Banned
That's only if the new champion is clearly weak a few days after release.
Yeah, that happened with Riven too since right after release I guess no one was going to buy her.

I am kind of surprised Xerath is not considered more powerful with his range, but I don't know much about fancy AP casters. *edit* Beaten by that helmet guy!

dimb

Yeah, that happened with Riven too since right after release I guess no one was going to buy her.

I am kind of surprised Xerath is not considered more powerful with his range, but I don't know much about fancy AP casters. *edit* Beaten by that helmet guy!
Xerath and Karthus are the two best casters in the game. 100% win ratio as Xerath, just saying.

Blizzard

Banned
Xerath and Karthus are the two best casters in the game. 100% win ratio as Xerath, just saying.
Karthus doesn't surprise me. Electrastar was putting up some ridiculous scores with him. If he goes free again I'll have to remember to try him.

What's the minimum cooldown on the Karthus ult? I feel like a Karthus that ults often, even if he doesn't kill, is even more annoying than one who occasionally kills people. In one of those team games we won last night, there was a Karthus but I think he only ever ulted us twice (once didn't even kill). Presumably he was waiting for the perfect moment that never came.

I also continue to maintain that a Soraka who spams starcall and/or uses silence a lot is more annoying than a Soraka who just keeps her lane partner healed and full of mana.

Ferrio

Banned
My ranked career is off to a shitty start

Code:
RANK	 PLAYER NAME		 WINS	 LOSSES	 RATING
153,204	 Ferrio		            4	     4	     1205

I got some *really* bad teammates in those starting matches. Worst than I've seen in normal.

Two laning nocturnes... laning nocturnes... I never even knew they existed. When both of them said "I suck at jungling" I knew we were doomed. Then one match with a feeding fizz that I mentioned earlier... must of been a kid. It would of been a easy easy game if we had someone else or if he had just disconnected.

What I really really hate about ranked is queue jumping now. Since when it does that the teams get shuffled.. and suddenly now you know who's on the other team and can ban accordingly... it's kinda fucked up.

Blizzard

Banned

Code:

I got some *really* bad teammates in those starting matches. Worst than I've seen in normal.
I offered to go with you, but noooo, you were all I'M GONNA SOLO THIS, MAN. :mad:

Code:

Two laning nocturnes... laning nocturnes... I never even knew they existed. When both of them said "I suck at jungling" I knew we were doomed. Then one match with a feeding fizz that I mentioned earlier... must of been a kid. It would of been a easy easy game if we had someone else or if he had just disconnected.

What I really really hate about ranked is queue jumping now. Since when it does that the teams get shuffled.. and suddenly now you know who's on the other team and can ban accordingly... it's kinda fucked up.

Realize that the people you're going to be matched up with can have extreme skill ranges early on. You'll have people who just started Ranked as soon as they hit thirty, and you'll have people who've played a 1000 games before they do their first Ranked match.

Ferrio

Banned
Realize that the people you're going to be matched up with can have extreme skill ranges early on. You'll have people who just started Ranked as soon as they hit thirty, and you'll have people who've played a 1000 games before they do their first Ranked match.

Ya. Had one guy pick teemo last which I told him was a bad pick (I don't think teemo is horrible.. he counters some ads nicely... but they had no one to counter on their team). He was a nice guy, just not prepared for ranked. Kept getting eaten up by a talon. And I really don't mind those people that much, long as they listen. People like that fizz who were stubborn and wouldn't take advice even after going 0/6 in the opening of the game and blaming the jungler... ya those I can't tolerate.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's actually pretty simple to reach sustainability with Cass, but you have to skew your item build a bit and it's not recommended.

Whereas Kass blows his entire mana pool in one gank, and then he has to go back or sit around auto-attacking creeps for 2 minutes.

Granted, both Xerath and Karthus are better choices for AP mid. Xerath zones Cass something horrible.

Macattk15

Ya. Had one guy pick teemo last which I told him was a bad pick (I don't think teemo is horrible.. he counters some ads nicely... but they had no one to counter on their team). He was a nice guy, just not prepared for ranked. Kept getting eaten up by a talon. And I really don't mind those people that much, long as they listen. People like that fizz who were stubborn and wouldn't take advice even after going 0/6 in the opening of the game and blaming the jungler... ya those I can't tolerate.

When you're in ELO Hell ... you just have to take matters into your own hands and play either the AD carry or AP mid ... that is my own experience anyway. Of course you still have to pray you don't get stuck with TOTALLY useless teammates.

Ferrio

Banned
Cass is better than Karth. More damage and a stronger zone.

*Doesn't have any problems with killing a karth* ^_^

I play cass regularly, but I think she's much more team dependent. She can own lane, but later in the game if her team isn't on the ball she gets screwed. She has escape options other than flash, and her ult (which is a waste). If the team can coordinate with her ult and keep her protected it's pretty damn scary.

Karth has his wall to escape, and his ult is useful no matter what.

Also learned something on cass the other day. When Kat ults, cass's ult doesn't petrify her. That was a real :| for me. Wonder what the game interprets her looking direction during that.

Jenga

Banned
after playing with a upper 1600 ELO buddy for like, 2 games in ranked I find the only difference between higher and lower elo is that higher elo has less trolls/DCers

which makes perfect sense when you think about it

skill level is about the same as 1300-1500 only but like I said, you don't run into utter retards

Neki

I play cass regularly, but I think she's much more team dependent. She can own lane, but later in the game if her team isn't on the ball she gets screwed. She has escape options other than flash, and her ult (which is a waste). If the team can coordinate with her ult and keep her protected it's pretty damn scary.

Karth has his wall to escape, and his ult is useful no matter what.

Also learned something on cass the other day. When Kat ults, cass's ult doesn't petrify her. That was a real :| for me. Wonder what the game interprets her looking direction during that.

well she's spinning, how can you hit her in the eyes when she's spinning so fast?

Blizzard

Banned
Learning little details like this is always fun (not really).

Like when I was playing Warwick and ulted Sona, only to discover that due to her ult being a skillshot, she can apparently trigger it before being suppressed, causing the stun to immediately cancel Warwick's ult. :|

I beat almost everyone mid as Kass and never run out of mana. My build just doesn't have much early game damage involved in it. Grab the health regen pendant first along with a health pot. Take 9-21-0 in masteries, or maybe 9-12-9, along with scaling hp/5 runes and you actually can't get pushed out and you'll start zoning them hard by lvl 6. Only person you don't want to see mid is a Sion, the rest are beatable.

I build that into a Philo, then go sorc boots, catalyst, roa, ---> rabadons.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I beat almost everyone mid as Kass and never run out of mana. My build just doesn't have much early game damage involved in it. Grab the health regen pendant first along with a health pot. Take 9-21-0 in masteries, or maybe 9-12-9, along with scaling hp/5 runes and you actually can't get pushed out and you'll start zoning them hard by lvl 6. Only person you don't want to see mid is a Sion, the rest are beatable.

Sion is really something else. I don't see him much anymore, but when I see him. Its always been a solo lane and every game he has been trouble. He can farm easily, shield, and harass like a pro. Both AD and AP versions are deadly. AP for the combo and AD for just how much he can build up.

Achtius

Two ranked games.

1st one, we got raped cuz our team think it's awesome to have fizz and gragas in the same lane.

2nd one, my internet decide it was a good time to die so we lost. (still wonky atm)

Sorry bind. :(

Rawk Hawk

I've been laning mid a lot late since I started playing Brand a lot, I seem to do well although Karthus normally gives me the most problems.

dimb

If you go Philo stone mid long ranged opponents will punish you so hard. Especially with a few Doran's.
Cass is better than Karth. More damage and a stronger zone.

*Doesn't have any problems with killing a karth* ^_^
Sure, Cass is a strong laner and everything but Karthus is about a billion times more useful in any kind of team fight.

bjaelke

It's actually pretty simple to reach sustainability with Cass, but you have to skew your item build a bit and it's not recommended.

Whereas Kass blows his entire mana pool in one gank, and then he has to go back or sit around auto-attacking creeps for 2 minutes.

Granted, both Xerath and Karthus are better choices for AP mid. Xerath zones Cass something horrible.

I'd have to disagree. Cassiopeia can trade hits with Xerath. His Q only outranges her Q and W by 50 and if he decides to use Locust of Power, he'll be more prone to harass from both Noxious Blast and Miasma.
There are some mages that can zone Cassiopeia, but Xerath isn't one of them (in my experience). I've been playing her a lot recently to justify her cost. She has one of the strongest laning phases due to her harass, but falls out in late game if she doesn't get support from her team mates.

Blizzard

Banned
Two ranked games.

1st one, we got raped cuz our team think it's awesome to have fizz and gragas in the same lane.

2nd one, my internet decide it was a good time to die so we lost. (still wonky atm)

Sorry bind. :(
This is why you should never play ranked! I'm actually tempted to try solo ranked now just to see if I really end up with people of my skill level, or whether I end up at the "skill level" ranking that means active griefers and leavers.

Regarding that, if I try ranked I want to play a carry. I could try to play a strong jungle but I don't trust myself with warwick since the mastery changes, and I want to wait until the new jungle changes anyway. Until then, is Ryze at all a reasonable choice for AP carry (presumably ranked teams only have one AP, and only mid)? If he's not viable mid then presumably my only option would be AD carry (or possibly Annie), and I seem to have completely lost the ability to last hit with AD carries these days.

I mean, Ryze could in theory be viable solo top, but only if the other team also had a jungler? I'm not sure if he would work 2v1 or not.

This is why you should never play ranked! I'm actually tempted to try solo ranked now just to see if I really end up with people of my skill level, or whether I end up at the "skill level" ranking that means active griefers and leavers.

Regarding that, if I try ranked I want to play a carry. I could try to play a strong jungle but I don't trust myself with warwick since the mastery changes, and I want to wait until the new jungle changes anyway. Until then, is Ryze at all a reasonable choice for AP carry (presumably ranked teams only have one AP, and only mid)? If he's not viable mid then presumably my only option would be AD carry (or possibly Annie), and I seem to have completely lost the ability to last hit with AD carries these days.

I mean, Ryze could in theory be viable solo top, but only if the other team also had a jungler? I'm not sure if he would work 2v1 or not.

Ryze is viable in capable hands. If you are good enough to survive his weak early game and farm him up enough to be tanky, he is really strong late. You shouldn't rely on getting him though, because if you aren't in the first few picks, you probably won't get AP Carry. Brush up on your supports and jungle if you have too, normally those are the roles that you'll get pushed into if you are one of the last two picks.

I like having at least two champs I can play in every role. They don't all have to be my best, but just ones that are solid/consistent.

Macattk15

His passive takes care of that actually. It is just about the perfect passive for an AoE heavy caster.

RUN INTO TEAM FIGHT.

DON'T GIVE A SHIT.

Yep. Turn on Defile, Push R, Spam Q in the big ass pile. Keep doing so after they kill you. Get 3 kills.

That is how I play him anyway ... I wonder how interesting he would be buying Will of the Ancients on him late game having a lot of AP and the 25% spell vamp.

dimb

That is if he can get into a team fight. He is slow, close range, and very squishy.
Karthus outranges Cass's Q by just a bit, his slow is better reaches further, and provides one of the best debuffs in the game, and his ult quite literally has the best range in the game. He has just slightly more base health, and the same movespeed as Cass.

Blizzard

Banned
Ryze is viable in capable hands. If you are good enough to survive his weak early game and farm him up enough to be tanky, he is really strong late. You shouldn't rely on getting him though, because if you aren't in the first few picks, you probably won't get AP Carry. Brush up on your supports and jungle if you have too, normally those are the roles that you'll get pushed into if you are one of the last two picks.

I like having at least two champs I can play in every role. They don't all have to be my best, but just ones that are solid/consistent.
Thanks for the feedback. I am still curious about Ryze solo top, maybe I should try it since he becomes so tanky. As for roles I am mediocre at the following:

AP carry: Annie, Ryze
AD carry: Teemo, Caitlyn
Tank: Malphite, Rammus
Support: Taric (Soraka/Janna?)
Jungle: Warwick (Rammus?)
Misc: Fizz, Riven

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
His passive takes care of that actually. It is just about the perfect passive for an AoE heavy caster.

RUN INTO TEAM FIGHT.

DON'T GIVE A SHIT.

That's entirely it. I don't allow him to get into the team fight. Proper warding and being Lux is awesome :O

I know his passive and I take full advantage of it. Also reduce death time. You've played with me before in Dom, which I really like playing Karth as. Heh.

dimb

Your wards aren't going to stop Karthus from ulting and changing the entire outcome of a 2v2 fight across the map.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Jungling sucks pre-20. I died to minions twice trying it for the first time.

Figured out I needed three jack in the boxes to get blue buff at level 1 or 2.

Haly

Buffed Skarner is so op. Holy shit.

You should try the red path. 3 boxes at wraiths, 2 at red. Gets you red by level two, then you can either get Two-shiv to continue jungling or Decieve for a mid gank.

Haly

I'd like to point out that I played 1 game with GAF last night and we decisively won with me jungling Skarner.
There you go, anecdotal evidence trumps everything.

I also learned the hard way that Talon counters Fizz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom