• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
spermatic cord said:
Want to start playing this while I'm bored of HON and wait for new heroes. Any advice for a HON player
Item builds are more fluid but there won't be anything game changing. No sheepstick no bkb no blink dagger (there's a summoner spell for it but it isn't nearly as versatile) no refresher stone etc. Basically it comes down to which stat (attack/magic/hp/mp/armor/ resist) you want for your hero and piling that on.

Last hitting is less important since you have a lot of gold coming in regularly. Can't deny creeps, towers, and as far as I know no hero skill let's you deny a hero. Also a tower kill gives the same gold to your entire team no matter who kills it.

Runes are replaced by extra strong creeps that give you a buff (mpregen + cooldown reduction or dot + slow), two to a side.

A lot of skills involve aiming and there are generally less stuns than in DotA/HoN. Most fights are a tug of war. Skills are more spammable, natural mana regen and health regen are quite high early game but their use really peters out to at mid game.

Towers won't attack you if you attack them. They'll only attack you if:
1) You attack an opposing hero while in range of tower
2) You are within range of tower and no other creeps are nearby.
So basically while it's your job to guard the tower in HoN, in LoL the tower is more active in guarding you, but less concerned with taking care of itself.

You don't lose gold upon dying so don't be afraid of stockpiling money for that big item. A few kills won't make you fed. You'd have to go like, 7-0 to really start dominating and even then a competent team will be able to shut you down. Carries are less of a threat in this game and having good teamwork is a lot more important.

Just play some games and get used to the slower pacing. If you were any good at HoN and you should do fine,

bluemax

Banned
Miss Fortune sure doesn't feel like a 6300 IP champ from what I've played of her/against her.

She does pretty much make Gangplank not worth playing though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
"runes first"

should i be buying runes with my ip instead of a new champ?

i don't mind tbh - i have amumu and i'm having a ball learning the ins and outs of him before i branch out

desverger

jon bones said:
"runes first"

should i be buying runes with my ip instead of a new champ?

i don't mind tbh - i have amumu and i'm having a ball learning the ins and outs of him before i branch out

Buy Tier 1 runes first, fill up as much as you can depending on your level. After level 20, consider if you want to upgrade to Tier 3 runes. Tier 2 runes are basically garbage - they provide way too little upgrade from Tier 1.

You'll most likely be able to afford a champ or two with the extra IP, even a few of the more expensive ones.

Heck, I'm level 26 and still using mostly Tier 1 runes. They're a good starting point and it's cheap to experiment with different rune setups.

jon bones said:
best game yet. lovin amumu's playstyle

14 - 5 - 5

i think i need to jungle more

It really depends on who's gonna solo.

Cause if they can handle against 2 champions, then go for it, it's better for the team as a whole.

but, if they can't and you have some really squishy malzahar soloing against 2 champs, then it screws up the whole team.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
LonelyIsland said:
but, if they can't and you have some really squishy malzahar soloing against 2 champs, then it screws up the whole team.
I'm not an idiot! Blame the two people died 7 times combined right in the start >_>

Just got enough for Malzahar, enjoying him quite a bit. I have to summon the needles and void first, before doing the stun.

Rayven

aka surume
Played 6 ARAM games last night. Holy shit they were fun. The tutorial would convert pretty well to a dedicated single lane map...

sohois

Is there any way to report users? was in a game today with two guys who were absolute idiots, they kept spouting the most ignorant racist stuff. Not sad we lost that one.

dionysus said:
Explain to me the principle of who should get to solo the center lane? As vlad a lot of people tell me to do it?

Champs in mid earn xp a lot faster than other lanes because theres only one hero, which means a mid hero needs to be able to stay mid as long as their opponent does to prevent them from gaining a level advantage. so in general you want mid heroes to be ranged (to prevent your opponent harassing and forcing you back to base constantly) and having some way to heal is helpful as well, which makes vlad ideal. Pantheon is one of the few exceptions to those rules.

Chozo

dionysus said:
Explain to me the principle of who should get to solo the center lane? As vlad a lot of people tell me to do it?

Generally, from my experience:

1. Ranged characters are preferred, because they can farm kills at mid and be pretty safe from ganks.

2. Carry characters, since they typically need a lot of gold and farming a solo lane will get you that gold.

3. Characters with powerful ults/characters that benefit heavily from an early level advantage. Assassins/gankers are popular choices at mid since they can get a level advantage and gank the side lanes, while characters with global ults (Ashe, Ezreal, Karthus) can be annoying for obvious reasons.

Vlad's a popular mid choice because he can lane forever with his Q and he becomes a decent ganker once he hits level 9 and Q is maxed.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
sohois said:
Is there any way to report users? was in a game today with two guys who were absolute idiots, they kept spouting the most ignorant racist stuff. Not sad we lost that one.

Post game right click their name and click 'Report User'

Alex

Probably never, he's not that grand and they just did a small nerf on him anyway for the reapplication of snares during Judgement.

I think he needs to be retuned. I like his play, but he scales terribly as DPS and is way too squishy for that kind of scaling.

As a tank hybrid he's much better off, but still not really worth picking over likeminded characters since he has no real threatening moves outside of Demacian Killsteal.

Xin >>> Garen

I don't encounter a lot atm I think needs nerfs. More buffs are needed for lesser than nerfs on overpowered characters. I do think they should maybe nerf AOE combos though. I'm not sure how it stacks up at really high ELO but when you drop in like... Vlad, Amumu and Fiddle (which to be fair is all he's good for) people just fucking melt.

Alex

Either, or, well, ideally. At the moment he's best as a somewhat lackluster tank, his scaling is so iffy that you probably get more out of him by stacking Sunfires.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Yeah I doubt Sunfire stacking would work in arranged or ranked matches, but at level 15 I'm a pub superstar.

He's just so brain dead simple to play, I would say taking that into consideration he's somewhat unbalanced. Most heroes take a bit more thought to be as effective as he is.

PedroLumpy said:
He's just so brain dead simple to play, I would say taking that into consideration he's somewhat unbalanced. Most heroes take a bit more thought to be as effective as he is.

I don't buy that, many faceroll characters are just, R,W,E,Q,Q,QQ,Q,QQ,,Q,Q,Q,QQQQQ,Q,Q,Q,Q,,Q,Q,Q,QQ,Q,Q

PEEEEEEEEENTA KILL!

---

For a serious response, it's brain dead easy to stop him. One stun, no more judgment worries.

I find that if Garen is on a jungling team, that he often takes the 2v1. In the 2v1 he often gets to high levels fast then goes on to help ganks ~lvl 9 when he's his most powerful, and he then gets fed until he's very, very hard to kill and just sits on top of your team using Judgement all day long until he pops his ult. His silence is also very annoying.

dionysus said:
How often do they switch the free characters? Does Riot ever run sales on characters?

About once a week, normally in the middle of the week anywhere from Tuesday to Thursday.... and to the second question, not that I know of. Maybe with Riot Points, but not IP.

Tetsuo9

thestopsign said:
I find that if Garen is on a jungling team, that he often takes the 2v1. In the 2v1 he often gets to high levels fast then goes on to help ganks ~lvl 9 when he's his most powerful, and he then gets fed until he's very, very hard to kill and just sits on top of your team using Judgement all day long until he pops his ult. His silence is also very annoying.
I don't know how but when elo starts going up (1400ish) I frecuently get rolled by Garen. I'm still trying to figure out what I should or shouldn't do :lol. But I think he is strong early and not so much late game.

Milabrega

Still wish there was a $50 unlock all version we could purchase. So I could have all the heroes and 2/3 alt costumes for each free and can just use IP for runes.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I did some math and it costs about $130 to unlock every champion if you bought them all with Riot Points, which includes taking advantage of champion bundles. I would gladly welcome a $60 unlock all package so I can use my IP on runes.

Meteorain said:
Btw, do the American players ever play with the EU lot?

Or are we all separate?

I find a lot of multi-lingual players, mostly Spanish though. Not sure if they are actually European or not, but I think they are.

Just had an awesome solo comeback win. I was Trynd, and my team was doing balls awful against the other team, losing a lot of team fights (without me in them), because they were off in the other team's jungle. While this was happening I was happily creeping/jungling and my team was yelling at me. I told them to play more defensive, we have a late game team. So after losing most of our towers I go into beast mode and get a few quadrakills and eventually end up with two Phantom Dancers, one Infinity Edge, and a Blood Thirster and go 21-4-10 with 7 tower kills. I basically won that game on my own.

sohois

Meteorain said:

Or are we all separate?

I'm pretty sure it depends on what version you installed, if you downloaded LoL from the EU page then you play with EU players and vice versa. I still play with the US version (despite being uk based) since the EU login didn't recognise the account that i used and i didnt want to start over.

Leezard

Meteorain said:

Or are we all separate?
Users of the European client and users the American client cannot play with each other unless they use the client of the players they want to play with (and a separate account).

Tetsuo9

thestopsign said:
I find a lot of multi-lingual players, mostly Spanish though. Not sure if they are actually European or not, but I think they are.

Just had an awesome solo comeback win. I was Trynd, and my team was doing balls awful against the other team, losing a lot of team fights (without me in them), because they were off in the other team's jungle. While this was happening I was happily creeping/jungling and my team was yelling at me. I told them to play more defensive, we have a late game team. So after losing most of our towers I go into beast mode and get a few quadrakills and eventually end up with two Phantom Dancers, one Infinity Edge, and a Blood Thirster and go 21-4-10 with 7 tower kills. I basically won that game on my own.

2 PD are overkill :lol, maybe you go beyond 100% crit chance which is a waste of money, you should do ok with just one I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom