• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

I'm starting to understand this love for Riven. I was top with Nasus against Teemo and Leona, but he was able to hold the lane by him self (and we both needed farm), so I ended up in the jungle. With the runes and masteries I was constantly 1 level behind but still able to make a difference in the team fights. Her ability to tower dive is just incredible.

Achtius

I discovered how bad I am at going solo top with Sion. I bought lots of wards. LeBlanc killed lots of guys and then died.

We got a couple of free kills, and took out the mid inhibitor, and someone on the other team said that they let us catch up and now we can have fun and it'll be a fair game.

Achtius gets so upset though, I think he hates me now. =( He did a good job buying pink wards.

In the end the other team blamed LeBlanc for throwing the game.

Ashe wrecked stuff!

That is not why I was upset, everyone lose their lanes sometimes. So if you lose it, it's either you are counter-pick or got outplayed by a guy who had 10,000 wins (or 1k in this case), both of which are outside your control.

I was upset because in 2 of 3 team battle we have, you are always the last to enter the battle and first to run. You don't commit to the battle. At one of the baron fights, 3 of us and 3 of them were dead, 2 of the enemies were almost dead, our ashe was at half health but SOMEHOW you have FULL LIFE. You are Sion, you got a frigging shield, a stun and a crazy life leech ult, USE IT. GO IN AND TAKE SOME DAMAGE and kill someone in the process or die trying. The only reason we won at the end is because of tryn and our crazy amount of hard cc.

brian!

It's westrice's build. It takes a bit more to get going than the one I used, and it's a lot less tanky. But she becomes fucking incredibly powerful.

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=7583

I wouldn't even say its that much less tanky! E gives great shield when you have more ad, especially if you can get it off a few times during a fight. And wriggles is a complete boss if you are up against a bruiser at top, trades are absolutely magnificent.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm starting to understand this love for Riven. I was top with Nasus against Teemo and Leona, but he was able to hold the lane by him self (and we both needed farm), so I ended up in the jungle. With the runes and masteries I was constantly 1 level behind but still able to make a difference in the team fights. Her ability to tower dive is just incredible.
Are you referring to tower diving because of the shield (10-second cooldown without reduction unless you level it up)? If she gets 200 AD built up early game I could see that, but otherwise I still feel like it will be hard for her to not be squishy with a 0.5-0.75 second stun, especially against people with 1.5+ second stuns (Sion), slows (Nasus), silences (Garen), and fears (Fiddle). There are probably others too.

I want to try the build out though. I rarely see successful Riven solo top lanes, but I like mashing buttons. I wonder if I should go flash teleport instead of flash exhaust in that case.

Frozmogs on riven is a sign that your team desperately needs a tank. She scales tooo well off AD to not go BT imo.
By frozmogs do you mean frozen mallet AND warmogs, or just either? I assume you mean either plus atma's since otherwise that would be a bit of a waste. And the thing about frozen mallet is that it gives you a slow, since without red, without frozen mallet, and without ghost your chasing ability is limited to hopping and the short shield dash (unless you can get within exhaust range).

ElectraStar

That is not why I was upset, everyone lose their lanes sometimes. So if you lose it, it's either you are counter-pick or got outplayed by a guy who had 10,000 wins (or 1k in this case), both of which are outside your control.

I was upset because in 2 of 3 team battle we have, you are always the last to enter the battle and first to run. You don't commit to the battle. At one of the baron fights, 3 of us and 3 of them were dead, 2 of the enemies were almost dead, our ashe was at half health but SOMEHOW you have FULL LIFE. You are Sion, you got a frigging shield, a stun and a crazy life leech ult, USE IT. GO IN AND TAKE SOME DAMAGE and kill someone in the process or die trying. The only reason we won at the end is because of tryn and our crazy amount of hard cc.

Building on what Achtius is saying, I believe that there is an ancient Chinese proverbs that says:

"Good things come to those who listen to ufokidd."

True story.

Even though Achtius and I were doing pretty well down bot, I don't think I would have shredded as seriously as I did late game if it wasn't for ufo's instructions (although my epic arrows are all me :D). Because in the end, it doesn't matter if you dominate or suck in your lane (unless you REALLY feed like a mofo, which in this case you didn't) as long as we get to their nexus first. So if you are told by someone with a badass ELO to engage at baron, and you see that even Ashe (ie me) and other teammates have only 200 hp and are still killing - and you have full HP - FFS bro, ENGAGE!!
Take that leap of faith! I promise that 90% of the time, it'll pay off.

I say ufokidd because he happens to be the one who led us in that particular game, but there are many others who do the same and whom you should really listen to. I know you want to level out your w/l ratio (and buddy I'm there too), and listening to those dudes will not only give you a much better chance of winning, but will also show you tips and such for future games.

So listen up, yo!!

/rant

Edit: Enjoy the ego boost, high-ELO peeps!

Boken

Banned
Sorry, I meant to say Atmallet. Atfroz? Frozma?

But the point is valid for both. Riven doesn't really need the slow since without her CD's up, you shouldn't be blindly chasing a carry in a team fight + her ult gives her a ranged execute. HP on Riven is just for when your team desperately needs a bulky wall of bruisers... and a waste of Riven's AOE potential imo.

Everybody has china (team iG) billed as the favourites to win WCG. I think this is an amazing turn around from their performance at S1 finals!

EDIT: I always knew chicks dig elo!
-However, I can understand how summons felt though. When you're inexperienced it's hard to know everytime which fights you're winning, which fights are winnable and which fights you should stay and die for and so you play safe and run away.
-For those inexperienced though, a good rule of thumb: STAY IF YOUR CARRY IS STILL THERE. (your carry is not necessarily the ranged AD, just the person with most damage). Another tip is: LEAVE IF YOUR CARRIES ARE ALL DEAD (unless their carries are dead too, then you see who has more damage left!).
-Another protip: Generally, ALWAYS drop baron and fight. If one dude is running in to smite it, don't keep attacking baron to weaken it so he can smite it easier, everybody should drop baron and kill him. This is the same for if a team fight starts. Unless you are absolutely owning them and/or baron is literally 1 second away from dying, EVERYBODY should turn around and fight them. Theres no point getting hit for several seconds by the other team or splitting your damage between baron and the other team. You can always do baron after you kill them.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Even though Achtius and I were doing pretty well down bot, I don't think I would have shredded as seriously as I did late game if it wasn't for ufo's instructions (although my epic arrows are all me :D). Because in the end, it doesn't matter if you dominate or suck in your lane (unless you REALLY feed like a mofo, which in this case you didn't) as long as we get to their nexus first. So if you are told by someone with a badass ELO to engage at baron, and you see that even Ashe (ie me) and other teammates have only 200 hp and are still killing - and you have full HP - FFS bro, ENGAGE!!

You think that. In my sole lost as Lux in ranked, 3 people from my team went to diddle themselves and I was right behind Baron. I miss the Killsteal, but their entire team was down to 1/5 HP or less for each of them. Our panth ult it. He couldn't even kill a fucking karth with zero mana.

I wanted to surrender right then, but to quote our jungle "We are still 11 kills up!". Game last about another 40-45 minutes before our eventual, slow defeat I called earlier.

ElectraStar

You think that. In my sole lost as Lux in ranked, 3 people from my team went to diddle themselves and I was right behind Baron. I miss the Killsteal, but their entire team was down to 1/5 HP or less for each of them. Our panth ult it. He couldn't even kill a fucking karth with zero mana.

I wanted to surrender right then, but to quote our jungle "We are still 11 kills up!". Game last about another 40-45 minutes before our eventually defeat.

I think you landed in the 10%, bro. xD

In our case, we were all there, they were low, and we had decent cc (sona ult, ashe ult). Even with our Sion chickening out, we still wrecked them.

Anyways, I'm trying to make a point to Blizzard, so stop talking about the opposite!!

Blizzard

Banned
Building on what Achtius is saying, I believe that there is an ancient Chinese proverbs that says:

"Good things come to those who listen to ufokidd."

True story.

I say ufokidd because he happens to be the one who led us in that particular game, but there are many others who do the same and whom you should really listen to. I know you want to level out your w/l ratio (and buddy I'm there too), and listening to those dudes will not only give you a much better chance of winning, but will also show you tips and such for future games.

So listen up, yo!!

/rant

Edit: Enjoy the ego boost, high-ELO peeps!
People used to complain that I apologized too much, so I have tried not to apologize so much anymore...would you like me to apologize for making poor decisions and having a bad game? :/

Boken

Banned
People used to complain that I apologized too much, so I have tried not to apologize so much anymore...would you like me to apologize for making poor decisions and having a bad game? :/

Read my edit, it's not your fault, you just lack experience.

EDIT: Did you guys have mumble in that game?

Blizzard

Banned
Read my edit, it's not your fault, you just lack experience.
Electra and Achtius don't seem to agree, however. And I agree that many things ARE my fault even though I have say 300-400 games less experience than the otehrse.

Boken said:
-However, I can understand how summons felt though. When you're inexperienced it's hard to know everytime which fights you're winning, which fights are winnable and which fights you should stay and die for and so you play safe and run away.
-For those inexperienced though, a good rule of thumb: STAY IF YOUR CARRY IS STILL THERE. (your carry is not necessarily the ranged AD, just the person with most damage). Another tip is: LEAVE IF YOUR CARRIES ARE ALL DEAD (unless their carries are dead too, then you see who has more damage left!).
Thanks for the input. And thanks to ufokidd for all the advice. I try to learn from my mistakes but I certainly make many of them.

I hate drama but both Achtius and Electra are bringing this up in public so I guess I have to do the big page o' response. ;(

I respectfully suggest that in some cases people on my team say things based on what someone (say Sion) can normally do with good items and gold, and not what will happen in a specific game situation. In that situation, I have been playing the champion all game and have some idea of how much damage I deal and take, while the other person has been in a different lane all game and not seen the fights that I and ufokidd have been in.

A couple of extra examples: I tried to get in the general area of the team so I could gets assists and help in fights, and Achtius immediately complained and told me to go back to top, if I recall correctly (which was pushed and/or going to die in 2 hits and not worth defending at that point).

In another case, I fully committed due to complaints and suggestions on my team, went into battle, instantly died from the enemy burst, and was left with no assists and 4-5 enemies with 70% or more health. I probably lost 1-2 teammates and a turret or two due to that decision as well. In that case, I should not have committed.

I belive even ufokidd, who has far more games played than Achtius or Electra, was talking about how Achtius was suicidal and shouldn't have gone in early with Sona etc. etc. in some situations.

In those situations, I don't rage, or harass Achtius, or complain about him, do I? I just say it's a game, we all try to have fun (hopefully), win, and do what we can to improve our own play. I am the first to admit I have many things to learn, and I'm just trying to play with internet friends to win a game or two after long days of work. :) I'm sorry if I make anyone have a negative ingame experience, and it's not my intention.

ElectraStar

That's not what I was saying. I'm just saying to listen a little more. For instance, even if you only have enough mana for one stun and the jungle is in position for a gank, don't say "oh we can't do this", but give it a shot. If anything, Akali would have gotten away and would have had to back, which is still good. And if it's a total disaster, well at least you know. This isn't a personal attack, bro, I'm just suggesting you listen to the crazy experienced dudes more carefully, that's all. Apologizing or not apologizing has nothing to do with anything.

Blizzard

Banned
That's not what I was saying. I'm just saying to listen a little more. For instance, even if you only have enough mana for one stun and the jungle is in position for a gank, don't say "oh we can't do this", but give it a shot. If anything, Akali would have gotten away and would have had to back, which is still good. And if it's a total disaster, well at least you know. This isn't a personal attack, bro, I'm just suggesting you listen to the crazy experienced dudes more carefully, that's all. Apologizing or not apologizing has nothing to do with anything.
I certainly tried to listen to ufokidd and I really appreciate his advice, it's more of a warning when I say something like that. "Hey Tryndamere, I'll do everything I can to help you, but be aware that I can only get one stun off, no combo, so you're mostly on your own as far as crowd control and damage goes." :) I burned ignite in one situation trying to help trynd, but he died under the tower against two champions.

AcridMeat

Banned
Meanwhile at bad-gaf, Turnip and Acrid talk about music while only getting wins as one particular character. Or playing champions we have never played before.
pQ5tw.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Meanwhile at bad-gaf, Turnip and Acrid talk about music while only getting wins as one particular character. Or playing champions we have never played before.
I wanna learn Garen. He sounds like he should be a viable solo top character against Akali, and he looks like a space marine with his eyeballs poking over his armor.

Flare

http://i.imgur.com/pQ5tw.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Why you guys abandon me? Am I not bad enough?

Meanwhile, on Dominion-GAF, Sivir continues to roll.

I wish she'd transition to SR a bit more easily, but I think she's perfectly viable right now. Nothing funnier than a Sivir with full CDR and a Banshee's Veil.

Did I just deny two of your abilities AND gain more mana? Oh, look, here's another one... shield's back up, AH HA HAHAHA

AcridMeat

Banned
Why you guys abandon me? Am I not bad enough?
I never saw you online last night?? D:

Oh and I've played Garen before Blizzard, we just always end up with horrible compositions on the enemy team, so much so that I've kind of given up on him.

That's my excuse for now. I still love using his ult to get rid of one person in a team fight guaranteed.

edit: Upon further reflection, I have concluded that Garen also has a terrible late game, it makes him a joke.
:p

ElectraStar

I certainly tried to listen to ufokidd and I really appreciate his advice, it's more of a warning when I say something like that. "Hey Tryndamere, I'll do everything I can to help you, but be aware that I can only get one stun off, no combo, so you're mostly on your own as far as crowd control and damage goes." :) I burned ignite in one situation trying to help trynd, but he died under the tower against two champions.

That often sounds like you're preemptively making excuses for a fight that didn't happen yet. Just sayin'. And I don't buy that low experience thing that Boken brought up (and yes, Boken, we were on mumble), because we often play with people with the same amount of wins that you have.
Just be more confident! :)

And yes, chicks love guys with big ELOs :D

Ferrio

Banned
I wouldn't even say its that much less tanky! E gives great shield when you have more ad, especially if you can get it off a few times during a fight. And wriggles is a complete boss if you are up against a bruiser at top, trades are absolutely magnificent.

Ya, I love getting in their face because I'll always come out ahead in it. Only time I won't is if they have some crazy sustain, but once I get wriggles it's all good.

I had 3 matches in solo top last night:

-Nidalee. This one was a pain. Their jungler was aggressive (shyvana) and nidalee is hard to pin down so I wasn't able to really do much to her (I'd get her down low, she'd pounce off away and heal and come back). We were dead even on CSs, I think I might of been slighly higher in exp. Once the first team fight broke out though I scored a triple kill. From then on it was smooth sailing.

-Mundo. LOL is pretty much the summation of this one. I had his ass tower hugging even when the creeps were in the middle of the lane.

-Tryndamere & Nunu. Okay this one was annoying. They pushed the tower hard, but neglected their cs. Our jungler failed the first two ganks, then we got tryn once, and I went down once. The tower was destroyed very early in the game (I had like 30 cs). This meant some free farm and roaming opportunies for me. I was able to help pick off several people in a team fight in bot, and from then on I was melting their team.

Blizzard

Banned
That often sounds like you're preemptively making excuses for a fight that didn't happen yet. Just sayin'. And I don't buy that low experience thing that Boken brought up (and yes, Boken, we were on mumble), because we often play with people with the same amount of wins that you have.

How can I phrase it so it sounds more clearly like a warning and is more acceptable?

And if you don't buy my lack of skill and experience, what else am I supposed to say? I did badly, I made bad decisions, and I'm trying to get better while still having fun. I try to listen to people with more experience and I try not to complain about teammates. I'm sorry if I upset you or Achtius but I don't know what else to say. :/

ElectraStar

How can I phrase it so it sounds more clearly like a warning and is more acceptable?

And if you don't buy my lack of skill and experience, what else am I supposed to say? I did badly, I made bad decisions, and I'm trying to get better while still having fun. I try to listen to people with more experience and I try not to complain about teammates. I'm sorry if I upset you or Achtius but I don't know what else to say. :/

lol, you're such a chick, bro

bjaelke

Are you referring to tower diving because of the shield (10-second cooldown without reduction unless you level it up)? If she gets 200 AD built up early game I could see that, but otherwise I still feel like it will be hard for her to not be squishy with a 0.5-0.75 second stun, especially against people with 1.5+ second stuns (Sion), slows (Nasus), silences (Garen), and fears (Fiddle). There are probably others too.

Well all three abilities before level 6. I used Broken Wings one time, then Valor and followed up with a Ki Burst to activate the passive for extra damage. Then I had two charges left on BW to get out of tower range (had to use flash on two occasions).

Blizzard

Banned
lol, you're such a chick, bro
Please check your PM box. I really don't think it's cool that both of you are complaining in the thread and making a big deal out of mistakes in one game:
1. I phrased something I said to someone else, on the opposite side of the map, in such a way that it annoyed you because it sounded to you like an excuse instead of a warning?
2. I screwed up in two teamfights.

In addition you ignored what I just said and just said, "you're such a chick, bro" to dismiss it. Why ignore it? We're all adults, presumably, can't we discuss things instead of dismissing what someone says offhand? If anyone has a problem I'm more than willing to listen, but please take it to PMs since I'd rather not spam the thread with drama. :/

Boken

Banned

Rofl, will this be my motivation to play ranked again!?

Anyway, lack experience affects people in different ways. Some people want certainty in the result and so become more passive when they're unsure, other people play more reckless because they don't know what can go wrong. Summons just happens to be the "safe" player.

LoLGAF drama is best drama?? Does feel like you guys a being a little harsh though.

ElectraStar

Hey dudes, so I've been on this quest to find my AP-mid soulmate. I can play Vlad, Karthus, Annie, Swain, Katarina, and am now learning Kassadin (whom I'm sorry to say I find a little boring). But it seems like everytime I pick one, I end up facing his/her counter. Do you guys have any suggestions as to who else I could test out?

Boken

Banned
Kassadin boring? wtf

Maybe if all you want to do is farm all day. Perhaps you should tell us what you want in an AP mid.

Try Kennen. He has no counter.

EDIT: there's a reason why you don't see annie mid very much these days. The high range mid totally shit on her. Kennen is no exception. Also, flash nerfs.

Or Morgana, also has no counters, stronger than kennen.

also @ Ferrio, v Nidallee, you're much stronger than her pre 6 so if you can own her face in before she gets there, she'll be less of a nuisance and you can somewhat continue to threaten her.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

But you don't listen. You'll do the same thing over next game. You coward when you should be aggressive, and you go in normally after you fucked up some how. Then ask the team why they didn't help you, or force an engagement that results in it loss on your part.

Blizzard

Banned
Hey dudes, so I've been on this quest to find my AP-mid soulmate. I can play Vlad, Karthus, Annie, Swain, Katarina, and am now learning Kassadin (whom I'm sorry to say I find a little boring). But it seems like everytime I pick one, I end up facing his/her counter. Do you guys have any suggestions as to who else I could test out?
Have you tried Xerath? If you like long range and skillshots he has an interesting playstyle. Sion is another option if you like farming and pushing lanes.

But you don't listen. You'll do the same thing over next game. You coward when you should be aggressive, and you go in normally after you fucked up some how. Then ask the team why they didn't help you, or force an engagement that results in it loss on your part.
What's your ingame name?

And when have I ever asked a team why they didn't help me? o_O I try not to bitch at teammates, and I never rage and go afk in the fountain (unlike at least one GAF person I've played with, for instance).

bjaelke

Heimer and Cassiopeia.

Macattk15

Xerath.

And Kennen has plenty of counters. Morgana being one of them.

Janna or Soraka mid

trolllane.jpg

Edit:

Oh, and Blizzard? If someone (say tank or carry) starts to commit and ask you to commit with them, and you aren't outnumbered by two, then just commit. If it fails, it's their fault.

Simple. Hell, as Sion you can just say "I got one combo in me. Ready?" That's warning enough. And hell, popping your ult should be enough to balance the scales. If you die, and the team comes out ahead, then no one is going to mind your death and deaths aren't punished like they are in DotA.

Just learn how to take intelligent risks.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
What's your ingame name?

And when have I ever asked a team why they didn't help me? o_O I try not to bitch at teammates, and I never rage and go afk in the fountain (unlike at least one GAF person I've played with, for instance).
I've played with you 3, maybe 4 times now. Both times when you were on my team, you ended up complaining about someone on our team. Other time you did after the game and you actually did good the other, so you didn't then.

Janna or Soraka mid
Its not a troll lane. Its the real goddamn carry lane. Soraka can push and harass lanes like no other. And Janna is one of the best early gankers.

Macattk15

I've played with you 3, maybe 4 times now. Both times when you were on my team, you ended up complaining about someone on our team. Other time you did after the game and you actually did good the other, so you didn't then.

Its not a troll lane. Its the real goddamn carry lane. Soraka can push and harass lanes like no other. And Janna is one of the best early gankers.

Yeah. AP Soraka mid is actually a strong lane. Harasses your balls off, heals damage you deal to them, never runs out of mana.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh, and Blizzard? If someone (say tank or carry) starts to commit and ask you to commit with them, and you aren't outnumbered by two, then just commit. If it fails, it's their fault.

Simple. Hell, as Sion you can just say "I got one combo in me. Ready?" That's warning enough. And hell, popping your ult should be enough to balance the scales. If you die, and the team comes out ahead, then no one is going to mind your death and deaths aren't punished like they are in DotA.

Just learn how to take intelligent risks.
Yep, not knowing which are the right risks to take is one of my biggest weaknesses. I gave ufokidd the warning that I didn't have a combo in me, committed with him, and did what I could after that with no mana. It sounds like that's what you're suggesting. :)

Well I don't remember that but I certainly shouldn't have complained. I was wrong.

So what is your ingame name?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Xerath is the counter to many lane choices and is able to play in a way that lets him keep pace with the champions who "counter" him.

You should really pick up Morgana though. Super cheap, super strong.

Boken

Banned
Xerath.

And Kennen has plenty of counters. Morgana being one of them.

How do you stop a 3s cd, massive range nuke with a built in speed up that adds survivability from farming? You can't. From 2-5, Morgana has a slight advantage since she can push, but never can she seriously threaten him. Kennen's push eventually becomes good enough that she can't just go off and gank.

Morgana v Kennen - morgana slightly ahead, but just a farm fest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom