• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattk15

Jazzy Network said:
If LoL stayed the same with relays spectator and good server stability, it would be fine. But right now there's more flaws than I'd like on it.

Good thing it is a free game huh? Just go pay your $20 and go play HoN then sir.

Macattk15 said:
Good thing it is a free game huh? Just go pay your $20 and go play HoN then sir.

Just cause it's a free game doesn't mean they can just leave shit out there normally should be in it and if the servers are down half the time what does it matter if I can't play it?

Macattk15

Jazzy Network said:
Just cause it's a free game doesn't mean they can just leave shit out there normally should be in it and if the servers are down half the time what does it matter if I can't play it?

I've never had to deal with the servers being down more than like 5 times in all of my playing time and I'm level 30.

If you're talking about them being "Busy", well there are ways around that.

Spectating is really a needed function? Wouldn't you rather be playing it than watching it?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Meteorain said:
A lot of people like to learn by watching good players play. Not all of them stream or upload their games.
And sometimes we're too lazy to play a game but want to watch people get rolled anyway.

Haly

Meteorain said:
Only you Haly delight in the misery of others. You are an evil evil person :(
No, Val enjoys it too, he just likes to be the cause of it.

Macattk15 said:
I've never had to deal with the servers being down more than like 5 times in all of my playing time and I'm level 30.

If you're talking about them being "Busy", well there are ways around that.

Spectating is really a needed function? Wouldn't you rather be playing it than watching it?

When I say server stability, I mean both being down and lag. I can't count how many times I play in the middle of a game and it starts lagging like hell and becomes unplayable.

Spectator mode is nice cause I like watching competitive play. Watching a single person play isn't as free as watching a spectator who can watch the whole map. It's not really hard to implement it. They made a ghetto one for WCG.

IcedTea

Jazzy Network said:
This post is full of stupid I can't even begin to comment.
What can I say? I was responding to a completely moronic post so anything I said was going to sound stupid.

They have server guys working on making the servers better and they have game developers that develop the game. Stopping the development of new champions does not make the server guys jobs easier, it just means that the game devs aren't doing much.

If you're that concerned that LoL's featureset doesn't match up with HoN's, maybe you should just play a game with a featureset that does match up to HoN. Such as HoN itself. As a bonus, the community for that game is already filled with jackasses so you'll fit right in.

IcedTea said:
What can I say? I was responding to a completely moronic post so anything I said was going to sound stupid.

They have server guys working on making the servers better and they have game developers that develop the game. Stopping the development of new champions does not make the server guys jobs easier, it just means that the game devs aren't doing much.

If you're that concerned that LoL's featureset doesn't match up with HoN's, maybe you should just play a game with a featureset that does match up to HoN. Such as HoN itself. As a bonus, the community for that game is already filled with jackasses so you'll fit right in.

LoL is the superior game. It's just run by a bunch of novices. I've never played HoN and never will, but they at least have the most basic of features in a game that absolutely requires it. So they have like 2 guys who work on server stability and 15 working on champions. That's cool if you don't give a shit about actually playing the game when you can and just see when the next skin or hero comes up. I for one actually want to play the game at peak times. But if you wanna just read up on the next hero and batch of skins, that's your right.

Alex

Spectator and replays are valuable tools for lots of reasons. From competetion enthusiasm to teaching new players.

I'm not in a huge rush or anything, but it'd be nice if they'd put them on the horizon along with the new map and visual hike.

Milabrega

Server stability and champ balance take top priority for me. Spectator mode and replays sure would be nice, both would increase LoL's visibility across the web, Spectator allowing for more people to stream competitive matches and replays for easy to upload youtube videos. Which I imagine would be good for Riot's business. more players, more potential buyers.

I'm looking forward to the new bigger three lane map, but still hope we get a single lane map sometime, ARAM is just too fun, but hit or miss in practice games if anyone ever adheres by the rules.

caromelo

I rarely experience lag in during a game, at least anything that makes things unplayable. I do agree though that server stability can be an issue and should be improved. The only other issue I have are the random times I get disconnected from chat server, but that usually doesn't alter the latency I get in game. The only times I find the server to be down is when it's meant to be down for patches and server maintenance. Seriously, some people need to find a new hobby to occupy their time if they're bitching about the server being down.

As for the eSports/Spectator issue; I'm all for this implementation. Watching the WCG US Finals really made it apparent how far and beyond HoN's spectator mode is. I haven't even played HoN and I've found myself to enjoy Honcasts and would hope to see something like that in LoL in the future.

Mairu

While I am looking forward to the graphics improvements, I would have much preferred replays/spectator before a graphics revamp.

y2dvd

Time to play drunk! Let's see how I do.

*Edit
Went 1-2 and ended up feeding Kennen 5 times in like 10 minutes in the last game. :(

Tideas

Banned
Jazzy Network said:

actually, it does mean they can, just because it IS free. If you don't like it, don't play. Because you didn't pay any money, you have no right to complain.

VaLiancY

==Champions==

Blitzcrank
- Power Fist now resets auto-attack timer.

Fiddlesticks
- Terrify now grants assists.

Garen
- Perseverance is no longer removed by combat dehancing effects such as Warwick's Blood Scent.

Gragas
- Explosive Cask now interacts properly with spell shields like Banshee's Veil.

Jax
- Counterstrike now leaves a buff showing for how long it can be used.

Karthus
- Death Defied passive remade to fix some of the bugs and usability issues

Kennen
- Lightning Rush is no longer castable while disabled

Kassadin
- Netherblade mana cost changed to 25, from 30/40/50/60/70.
- Riftwalk
- No longer shows cast particles over fog of war
- Now leaves a buff showing for how long your Riftwalk costs extra and deals extra damage.

Katarina
- Shunpo no longer ignores enemy spell shields like Banshee's Veil.
- Killer Instinct no longer reduces true damage when used with Shunpo.

Kog'Maw
- Fixed a bug where Caustic Spittle was giving multiplicative attack speed rather than base.

Rammus
- Defensive Ball Curl can now be cancelled.

Shaco
- Fixed a bug where Jack in the Box fearing enemies didn't grant an assist.

Singed
- Fling now deals damage at the start of the spell, rather than when the target hits the ground.

Taric
- Radiance now has a brief cooldown when activated with the goal of preventing quick cancellation after initiation.

Twitch
- The first attack after breaking stealth will now benefit from the bonus attack speed of Ambush.
- Ambush will now provide its attack speed bonus if you break stealth by casting a spell.

Vladimir
- Fixed a bug where his Transfusion was not restoring enough health from Spell Vamp (not how much the spell heals normally)
- Fixed a bug where his Transfusion tooltip showed it restoring less health than it did
- Vladimir's Blood Gorged passive no longer heals him when his Ability Power increases

Zilean
- Chronoshift duration reduced to 13 seconds, from 15.
- Chronoshift cooldown increased to 180 seconds at all levels from 180/160/140 seconds.

==Items==

- New Item: Kindlegem
- Recipe consists of Ruby Crystal + 425G.
- 200 Health
- UNIQUE Passive: Reduces ability cooldowns by 10%

- New Item: Shurelya's Firecrest(An item made for the new champion)
- Recipe consists of Kindlegem + Philosopher's Stone + 500G.
- 330 Health
- 25 Health Regen per 5 sec
- 12 Mana Regen per 5 sec
- UNIQUE Passive: Reduces ability cooldowns by 15%
- UNIQUE Active: Nearby champions gain 40% movement speed for 3 seconds (60 second cooldown)

- Rejuvenation Bead no longer lists as building into Spirit Visage.

- Vision Wards and Sight Wards now show their remaining duration (in seconds) in their mana bar. Both teams can see the remaining duration.

- Sunfire Cape no longer deals damage when held by a clone.

- Boost of Mobility are no longer removed by combat dehancers such as Warwick's Blood Scent.

==General==

- Fixed a bug where some knock up and knock away spells failed to interrupt enemy channeled spells.

- Fixed a bug where Summoner Teleport refreshed your W slot's cooldown when used.

- Disconnected players will now run home if their Blue Pill is interrupted

- Disconnected players now gain 1000 Magic Resist after 1 minute of continuous disconnection.

Vision Ward has the best feature of this patch.

Tideas said:
actually, it does mean they can, just because it IS free. If you don't like it, don't play. Because you didn't pay any money, you have no right to complain.
Actually I've spent like almost 60-70 bucks on the game already. If its totally free I see your point, but I've laid down quite a bit of money on it already so don't tell me they can slack.

Damn small nerfs to Katarina. She's already weak as it is in competitive play.

Macattk15

Jazzy Network said:
Actually I've spent like almost 60-70 bucks on the game already. If its totally free I see your point, but I've laid down quite a bit of money on it already so don't tell me they can slack.

But you weren't required to spend that money on this game, that was your choice. You could of slowly grinded out the IP to buy everything you wanted in this game, except for cosmetic skins ( <3 Corp. Mundo ). I've really only ever had one day where the lag was unplayable and a handful of days where the servers were down. For a "free" game with as many people playing it as there is ... I give them a lot of credit for what currently exists.

Macattk15 said:
But you weren't required to spend that money on this game, that was your choice. You could of slowly grinded out the IP to buy everything you wanted in this game, except for cosmetic skins ( <3 Corp. Mundo ). I've really only ever had one day where the lag was unplayable and a handful of days where the servers were down. For a "free" game with as many people playing it as there is ... I give them a lot of credit for what currently exists.
True, but I am still a paying customer no matter how you sugar coat it. Ive had at least 4 days in the past week alone that was either me lagging in game incredibly bad or the server itself was off. These were doing peak times around 8-12 est so I couldn't play. One or two times fine, but when it happens week in and week out that is when I start getting pissed.

It's all good that its a free game, but it would he dead if it wasn't for people like me who actually do spend money on the game so I really don't want to hear it.

Tideas

Banned
Jazzy Network said:

that was by your own volition. You never had to spend money. you CHOSE to. u never had to spend money to play the game.

that's like saying I gave you a free pizza slice, you bought napkins for it, and you have a RIGHt to complain to me on where I should spend my resources to provide you with the free pizza.

Haly

I think paying customers have a right to complain, after all, they're the ones who are supporting the game itself, along with the company.

Also can we have some non-shitty late game MR items already? Armor has Sunfire, Atma's, Thornmail, Randuin's and Frozen Heart.

What do you have for lategame MR? Banshee's (loses cost effectiveness on tanks without mana), Abyssal Scepter, Lichbane (always bought for AP and rarely bought for the MR unless you're playing an AP/Tank hero), Force of Nature (lololololol).

Sometimes GA and Aegis is not enough.

That's like saying I was giving out free pizza slices, only 1 per customer per day, as a deal. But you could buy some extra slices if you enjoyed them, along with drinks and sides. (And the whole purpose of the free pizza was to entice users into buying more.) So you should have the right to complain if the pizza you bought was shitty.
Fixed to accurately reflect what Riot is doing.

Tideas said:
that was by your own volition. You never had to spend money. you CHOSE to. u never had to spend money to play the game.

that's like saying I gave you a free pizza slice, you bought napkins for it, and you have a RIGHt to complain to me on where I should spend my resources to provide you with the free pizza.
So if I or other paying customers didn't support the game then this game wouldn't even exist. Of course I have the right to complain. I love it when people use the "well you didn't have to pay for it" excuse.

Haly

Some people seem to be under the impression LoL wasn't designed to make money.

Rayven

aka surume
@jazzy: Thanks for the support. I can assure you that Riot wants those same features and the normal Champion release cycle does not impact their development.

Macattk15

Jazzy Network said:
So if I or other paying customers didn't support the game then this game wouldn't even exist. Of course I have the right to complain. I love it when people use the "well you didn't have to pay for it" excuse.

But it's a completely viable excuse. You chose to pay because you were impatient, so did I. You CAN complain, but it was still your choice to spend / waste money on this game. I've spent probably the same total of money on this game and you have ... I guess I've just been lucky to not experience the problems you have had. I'm level 30 but on weeknights I might play maybe 3-4 games ... maybe you just play more than me and are exposed to the server issues more than I am .... but I am happy with the product I've contributed to.

If the servers are down, I just go play HoN anyway :)

Halycon said:
Some people seem to be under the impression LoL wasn't designed to make money.

Of course the game was designed to make money, Riot isn't a charity, don't think anyone thinks the game was designed to make nothing ... especially with Riot controlling the servers and not some 3rd party (or ourselves).

Halycon said:
I think paying customers have a right to complain, after all, they're the ones who are supporting the game itself, along with the company.

Also can we have some non-shitty late game MR items already? Armor has Sunfire, Atma's, Thornmail, Randuin's and Frozen Heart.

What do you have for lategame MR? Banshee's (loses cost effectiveness on tanks without mana), Abyssal Scepter, Lichbane (always bought for AP and rarely bought for the MR unless you're playing an AP/Tank hero), Force of Nature (lololololol).

I'll always buy Banshee's ... it has saved my ass so many times and I've seen it save others asses so many times.

Just last night I was playing Corki and I dominated 2 in the bottom jungle and the 3rd (a sub 100 hp Gragas) uses his little charge ability to zip through the wall by the dragon. Of course he has 100 hp so I fire my ult off and JUST as my rocket is about to hit him, his banshee comes off cooldown and absorbs the rocket thus allowing him to get away and me cry.

Haly

Macattk15 said:
Of course the game was designed to make money, Riot isn't a charity, don't think anyone thinks the game was designed to make nothing ... especially with Riot controlling the servers and not some 3rd party (or ourselves).
Go look at the LoL forums sometimes whenever servers go down.

There are basically two kinds of posts. "OMG WTF RIOT THIS IS SO RETARDED FIX THAT SHIT ALREADY." and "LOLOLOL WHAT DID YOU EXPECT FROM A FREE GAME?"

A lot of people hold LoL to the standards of a completely free game, like one of those games you find on Kongregate. It's not. It's very clearly a game made with the intention of making money, but is very subtle about how it wants to become profitable. Thus, it should be held to the same standards as any other retail game you paid $30 for (see, HoN). The only difference is some people have paid far more than $30, and it's a slap in the face when the game doesn't even deliver some rudimentary features that have been promised since beta. Did they choose to spend that money? Yes, ultimately they did, and in good faith. It's when that faith turns out to be misplaced that they get angry, and rightfully so.

I'll always buy Banshee's ... it has saved my ass so many times and I've seen it save others asses so many times.
I was thinking from a tanking perspective. If the other team is mostly physical DPS, you can still have a wide range of options to choose from as you near end game. If the team is mostly caster? Banshees, and that's pretty much it.

Macattk15

Halycon said:
Go look at the LoL forums sometimes whenever servers go down.

There are basically two kinds of posts. "OMG WTF RIOT THIS IS SO RETARDED FIX THAT SHIT ALREADY." and "LOLOLOL WHAT DID YOU EXPECT FROM A FREE GAME?"

A lot of people hold LoL to the standards of a completely free game, like one of those games you find on Kongregate. It's not. It's very clearly a game made with the intention of making money, but is very subtle about how it wants to become profitable. Thus, it should be held to the same standards as any other retail game you paid $30 for (see, HoN). The only difference is some people have paid far more than $30, and it's a slap in the face when the game doesn't even deliver some rudimentary features that have been promised since beta. Did they choose to spend that money? Yes, ultimately they did, and in good faith. It's when that faith turns out to be misplaced that they get angry, and rightfully so.

I was thinking from a tanking perspective. If the other team is mostly physical DPS, you can still have a wide range of options to choose from as you near end game. If the team is mostly caster? Banshees, and that's pretty much it.

It's hard to build MR so high because all the casters do absolute shit for auto attack damage ... except maybe if they have a ton of AP and buy a Lichbane and really that's only one attack after an ability.

At least if someone is stacking armor against you as a melee dps, you still have your ability damage AND auto attack damage wearing away at them (not to mention the ridiculous auto attack speeds one can get). If someone could stack MR as well as armor, magic users would become completely ineffective against them ... and that would be quite annoying.

That is at least why I think they don't have as many quality MR items as Armor items.

That's good if you haven't experienced any issues. I have. I've paid them money more than what a retail game is worth. Once you have experienced the same issues I have almost daily since season 1 started, then come to me and give me your excuses, till then, I have the right as a customer of a free game that I am paying for so it won't die.

Plus the things I am asking of are completely reasonable. It's not like I'm asking Riot why they aren't giving me new maps for free or some other dumb thing like that. Server stability and replays are very reasonable things to ask for when season 1 comes out. Before that ok, it wasn't really all the competitive, but now with ranked games, there's no replay? Hell forget even replays, I can't even play half the time without lag or server shutdowns. If you don't play ranked, then good for you, I do.

Allocate your damn resources to server stability at the very least. What does it matter if hero X comes out if the first 2 days the servers are unplayable then when it actually does come on, gets bombarded and lagged to hell?

dionysus

Yaldog
Halycon said:

Is pure health a lot less effective than armor and MR for survivability? Of course most high end armor items have a bunch of health too...

bluemax

Banned
dionysus said:
Is pure health a lot less effective than armor and MR for survivability? Of course most high end armor items have a bunch of health too...

Yes. Which is why building warmog's or leviathan is a complete waste of time and money.

Moussi

Im a noob here and I just installed this game. Im having troubles with the menu of screen it seems to be destroying my computer and I can't log in. My comps specs destroy this game why am I having problems? ;(

srry for the noob question.

Leezard

dionysus said:
Thanks. Does that apply even vs. a balanced team?
Yes, in my experience. It is usually more cost-effective to go for Banshees+Some armor item than it is to go for pure hp that is blasted away quickly by both mages and physical dps guys.
Pure hp is pretty much only good against true damage and for percentage costs (like vlad), and even then, you're better off getting some armor and MR to go with that HP.

Macattk15

Moussi said:
Im a noob here and I just installed this game. Im having troubles with the menu of screen it seems to be destroying my computer and I can't log in. My comps specs destroy this game why am I having problems? ;(

srry for the noob question.

have the most up to date adobe flash / aero whatever it is?

Haly

Health is not completely useless. The thing is you want a good mix of health + defense stats. What a defense stat does it basically increase how much each point of health you have is worth while tanking. So a Ryze with like, 5 RoAs might have 3-4k HP. But if he has base defense it's going to go down pretty fast. On the other hand a tank like Galio with a good blend of items might only have 2.4-2.6k hp, but will be able to tank a lot more damage if he has 2-3 times Ryze's armor and MR.

I don't think leviathan is completely useless, as long as you're good enough to get the full 20 stacks, which isn't hard for a good tank because you'll be getting assists all over the place. Warmog's though, yeah. Piece of shit items really.

Moussi

Macattk15 said:
have the most up to date adobe flash / aero whatever it is?
i got flash up to date. im not sure about adobe air.
I found an option to turn off the animation. Im still insulted that this rig can't run the ugly looking login screen. it does WoW fine. D:

Chozo

Halycon said:
I don't think leviathan is completely useless, as long as you're good enough to get the full 20 stacks, which isn't hard for a good tank because you'll be getting assists all over the place. Warmog's though, yeah. Piece of shit items really.

I think the most compelling argument against Leviathan on a tank is that a snowball item is not a great choice on a character whose team role is predicated on drawing fire and potentially dying a lot. Honestly, I tend to see Leviathan work most effectively on carries of all things: characters that can build stacks quickly, but need survivability on the cheap (which Leviathan provides if you can get your kill on effectively).

But then, I can't get above 1300 Elo in solo ranked so take that for what you will.

Jazzy Network said:
That's good if you haven't experienced any issues. I have. I've paid them money more than what a retail game is worth. Once you have experienced the same issues I have almost daily since season 1 started, then come to me and give me your excuses, till then, I have the right as a customer of a free game that I am paying for so it won't die.

Plus the things I am asking of are completely reasonable. It's not like I'm asking Riot why they aren't giving me new maps for free or some other dumb thing like that. Server stability and replays are very reasonable things to ask for when season 1 comes out. Before that ok, it wasn't really all the competitive, but now with ranked games, there's no replay? Hell forget even replays, I can't even play half the time without lag or server shutdowns. If you don't play ranked, then good for you, I do.

Allocate your damn resources to server stability at the very least. What does it matter if hero X comes out if the first 2 days the servers are unplayable then when it actually does come on, gets bombarded and lagged to hell?

Concerning the server issues, I think EVERYONE needs to stand back for a moment and realize that this is a very young company. Indeed, their software team is young too. It's not a simple matter of putting more money into servers. There are new issues every day that make them go, "oh, wtf is this" and spend time trying to fix.

Give them time, it'll sort out.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Games you shouldn't lose....

When you are up some 15 kills, 3 Baron Kills, Some 10+ Dragon kills. Yet you were pushed to your base nearly the entire time.

Playing Bayonetta, and I was hitting like a fucking nuke. Yet your team, time and time again did something stupid. Why is our tank alone by their base? Why are we split up in 2 groups? Why did you use your ult on one guy... who you missed, and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom