• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE 1991

Thinking of jumping into this game with very little DOTA experience. Am I in for a rough time? Also, how popular is this game in terms of player base?

ACE 1991 said:
Thinking of jumping into this game with very little DOTA experience. Am I in for a rough time? Also, how popular is this game in terms of player base?
Only started playing League of Legends two weeks ago (if that) and I found it pretty easy to pick up. I did play a bit of WC III DotA back in the day, but that was years ago. The tutorial, practice games against bots and the official website should help you understand the nuances or mechanics in the game, and afterwards you can always look up character guides on YouTube / LeagueCraft if you want to read up how to improve your game with your champion of choice.

Another thing to keep in mind: there's a weekly rotation of "free" playable champions, so you'll have to buy your hero with in-game points (i.e. not real money) once the next rotation kicks in, should you have already found a hero in the current selection that suits your style.

ACE 1991

MicVlaD said:
Only started playing League of Legends two weeks ago (if that) and I found it pretty easy to pick up. I did play a bit of WC III DotA back in the day, but that was years ago. The tutorial, practice games against bots and the official website should help you understand the nuances or mechanics in the game, and afterwards you can always look up character guides on YouTube / LeagueCraft if you want to read up how to improve your game with your champion of choice.

Another thing to keep in mind: there's a weekly rotation of "free" playable champions, so you'll have to buy your hero with in-game points (i.e. not real money) once the next rotation kicks in, should you have already found a hero in the current selection that suits your style.

Cool. I played a few games and had some fun, trying to get a few other people living in my dorm into it :D

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
The riot staff really try to keep the experience from being too negative. If you run into a player being a complete asshole just report them after the game. If there's an aspect of the game you don't understand there's tons of guides and a lot of gaffers who are experienced who will take the time to answer your question.

Leezard

ACE 1991 said:
Also how good has riot been about supporting this game with new content?
A new champion has been coming out every two weeks for 6 months or so now, a new map is in the works, and it is supposedly getting a graphical overhaul.

ACE 1991 said:
Also how good has riot been about supporting this game with new content?

As the guy above me said, pretty constant champ updates. They also tweak champs, fix glitches, and optimize pretty often. Hopefully a lot more content will be on the way with Season 2, whenever that is going to happen. I bet Christmas or sometime during the winter.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I feel like the team carry every game when I have Kennan. I also realize, not having to rely heavily on mana. I can push like a crazy mother fucker. Even with games I lose, my side never has any trouble and always gets up a few kills+tower.

Boken

Banned
Patch notes for this week's patch: http://shureria.blogspot.com/

My cliffnotes version:
Akali's ult got buffed <3.
They're just slowly nerfing Miss Fortune lol.
Mordekaiser is now better as a mage. Stupid sunfire builds urggh.
Corki and Sivir got AD ratios on their rocket missles and boomerang blade respectively. (Yes! Sivir is a little bit better now - she was my first hero)
Twitch got his attack speed from ambush slightly nerfed.

That AP/armor item is pretty cool. I hope it makes it in!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Really don't understand the MF nerf, worse when your buffing Aki. MF is pure class cannon. No strong escape, stun, or slow.

dionysus

Yaldog
Diglet said:
Wait... why hasnt lux's laser been nerfed? I thought for sure the range or cd would be changed

Cause lux is terrible, the laser doesn't do much damage either. I play as Kog and the most I have seen that laser do is 1/5th my health, which is pretty shitty since Kog is super squishy.

ACE 1991

Ended up playing this game until 2am with two friends. We brought our computers in one room, it was an absolute blast. Really having a great time with Janna, her survivability is awesome.

y2dvd

Yeah, Janna is a great support character too. She also has a mini fortify which is hella annoying.

Got my elo to around 1440. Slowly climbing up with a winning ratio, and I'm doing it mostly with Cho lol. Low-tier ftw! I should duo queue to take a slot away from a possible leaver/afker/nub.

They need to nerf Kog's range. 3 shot killing me from half the screen isn't too fun. ;[

Are those patch notes for Mordekaiser good or bad, generally speaking? Been meaning to pick him up one of these days, but since I evidently haven't gotten around to playing him yet, I'm not sure what to make of those potential changes.

shintoki said:
I feel like the team carry every game when I have Kennan. I also realize, not having to rely heavily on mana. I can push like a crazy mother fucker. Even with games I lose, my side never has any trouble and always gets up a few kills+tower.
Had fun on a lane the other day by simply sitting back and killing minions as Kayle while letting Kennen harrass the other champions. Just when Taric and Warwick were able to stun the guy and use their ultimates on him, I triggered my invincibility shield on him so not only did they inflict minimal damage on him so to speak, but also got stunned in the process when Kennen was free to move again and occassionally getting slain as well! And when they'd get super greedy after a scuffle by ignoring me and going straight for Kennen, I'd just use my slow skill and ranged attack (the flame sword) to finish 'em off because they've only seen me use Heal and Invincibility up until then.

You can tell they were getting frustrated, because after a while all five players tried to ambush us, but we got out of there in time thanks to my spells and some pre-emptive wards.

"Cause lux is terrible, the laser doesn't do much damage either. I play as Kog and the most I have seen that laser do is 1/5th my health, which is pretty shitty since Kog is super squishy."

This.

Corki buffs for the motherfucking win, too. Gonna be UFOs all in the sky!

VaLiancY

That Akali buff is nuts. That Corki buff is fucking godlike. MF nerf is funny, I think people will complain as long as it does bonus damage.:lol

dionysus

Yaldog
Macattk15 said:
As someone else said, because Lux is terrible ... for dealing damage anyway.

She is a poor man's Morgana, just go play Morgana. Even better support abilities and a godlike ultimate. Also, Morgana doesn't say stupid shit like "Chargin my laser."

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
dionysus said:
She is a poor man's Morgana, just go play Morgana. Even better support abilities and a godlike ultimate. Also, Morgana doesn't say stupid shit like "Chargin my laser."
Was going to say the same thing. Lux is just a lesser Morgana. Where Morgana has her long range combo + Tank like build. Lux just has poor versions of her spells with a weaker Ez's ult.

She isn't bad to say, the problem is Morgana exists who is just that much better than her.

VaLiancY said:
MF nerf is funny, I think people will complain as long as it does bonus damage.:lol

That's the entire purpose of it. Like her other two attack spells, everything she has is easily counter able and avoidable. Make it Rain has a very small radius, and bullet time is a channel spell that is easily interrupt able. Double Tap, she has to make sure you are behind the first target. As long as you keep position her, it's neutralized. It's not something that is more like a noobish spam ala Kennan's, Kat's, or Aki's dagger throws. Or something that just hits like a fucking truck and can't be avoided Kass's sphere. It's actually an attack that's pretty fair. :lol

Macattk15

I've always played an AD Corki. I love those buffs to him. I used to rape with him just fine, now I'll be able to rape even harder since my rockets will actually do increased damage on top of everything else he has. Gatling Gun just rips people up.

Diglet

Neo Member
I know lux is terrible.
Its just mad annoying when im in a team fight and both team are low on health and lux just shoots her lazer from way off at does the 1/5 damage to 3 people. Just raise the cd a bit

"I know lux is terrible.
Its just mad annoying when im in a team fight and both team are low on health and lux just shoots her lazer from way off at does the 1/5 damage to 3 people. Just raise the cd a bit"

Or you could just dodge it. The hitbox on it is actually noticeably smaller than Ezreal's.

"I KNOW SHE'S TERRIBLE...BUT SHE DID DAMAGE TO ME :/"

Macattk15

Diglet said:
I know lux is terrible.
Its just mad annoying when im in a team fight and both team are low on health and lux just shoots her lazer from way off at does the 1/5 damage to 3 people. Just raise the cd a bit

The hit box for the laser is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO tiny though. Don't all neatly be in a line!

eznark

Banned
Macattk15 said:
The hit box for the laser is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO tiny though. Don't all neatly be in a line!
I was laning with a pretty awesome lux just now. As soon as we hit 6 the game was over. I'd ult, she'd lazer, they'd die. Rinse repeat for 20 minutes to victory

bluemax

Banned
After nearly a month of sub 1200 Elo I have finally returned from the depths of Elo hell!

I think I bottomed out around 1070. Getting good with Ashe and duo queueing with friends who I knew were good helped the most.

Riot is on a tear releasing these 3150 champs. Sona, Lux, and LeBlanc. Swain was 6300 but...lolswain.

Leblanc is pretty fun as a first impression. Her ratios seem mediocre at first (like .6-7 on most of her spells), but her two nukes have a secondary damage component with its own AP ratio as well, so the damage adds up pretty quickly.

Edit: First impression was based on a bot game. Second impression after a real game...I see nerfs in her future.

Getting such bad luck with Corki. Unless I'm carrying up the ass, I can't seem to win. Both my wins I've had double digit kills. My losses are comprised of me getting better than a 1:1 ratio, but not enough to win. Fucking.

Azar

Jazzy Network said:
Getting such bad luck with Corki. Unless I'm carrying up the ass, I can't seem to win. Both my wins I've had double digit kills. My losses are comprised of me getting better than a 1:1 ratio, but not enough to win. Fucking.
Sorry about that game again. :lol Things went much better the next match even though one of my friends decided to play Soraka and we hardly had any DPS.

I've been saving up to 6300 IP and planning on buying Kennen for my next champ. Wish he was free this week, but he always look fun and seems to fit within the range of characters I like. I typically play casters, but enjoy Akali/Shen for the energy. Only thing is when I get matched against Kennen as Veigar I can usually annihilate him.

y2dvd

This download is taking forever! LeBlanc seems like a good support with escaping ability, this based on the champ spotlight. I see her being used to lock down yi or trynd with the chains.

Odrion

Banned
Leblanc can do some nightmarish burst.

The Morde changes were an overall nerf imo. He's now weaker early game (where he shined) and his late game is still not that good (the slight AP buffs are just that, slight.) His Ult does some nice burst, but the backend of the damage is a really slight DOT that seems a lot more negligible now. Before, you could Ult+Ignite anyone trying to flee and they wouldn't be able to escape. Now it barely does anything except stay there so your carries know who to kill. What is it at rank 3? 15% over 10 seconds? That's weaker than Amumu's AOE at rank 4.

Macattk15

y2dvd said:
This download is taking forever! LeBlanc seems like a good support with escaping ability, this based on the champ spotlight. I see her being used to lock down yi or trynd with the chains.

She is certainly not a support. She has wayyyyy too much burst to be a support. I played 3 games with her last night and dominated every champ I tried to gank .... minus the tanks. I'd rush out of the bushes with the sigil silence bomb combo and just drop champs. Especially fun when you do it to champs like Morgana who are just used to being able to do something to stop your gank.

Played one game as Corki. Only thing I really noticed different was the extended range on Valkyrie. His ult didn't seem to do much more damage as AD than before .... minus the Big Ones. Still ended up going 14-4-12 on him though.

Best tanks right now are Galio, Amumu, Rammus, and Shen. Pretty much if you don't have at least one of those on your team, it'll be a tough fight.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MicVlaD said:
Dr. Mundo as #1 in annoyance factor. His hatchet (or rather: the recharge rate of it) is irritating and he's really ugly.
Mundo is a poor tank, even if you stack sunfires.

He's more of a beefy DPS.

I would have to say a good Shen is the most annoying champ to lane against, especially if they have a competent ranged partner. He can last hit from afar and harass as well, without limits thanks to energy. He can stalk the bush and force you to move away in case you get taunted. He has the shield which can be used to negate most incoming harass, and once he gets his ult you'll pretty much have to assume that Shen can pop up whenever you try to gank someone.

Halycon said:
Mundo is a poor tank, even if you stack sunfires.

He's more of a beefy DPS.

I would have to say a good Shen is the most annoying champ to lane against, especially if they have a competent ranged partner. He can last hit from afar and harass as well, without limits thanks to energy. He can stalk the bush and force you to move away in case you get taunted. He has the shield which can be used to negate most incoming harass, and once he gets his ult you'll pretty much have to assume that Shen can pop up whenever you try to gank someone.
Oh, I wasn't claiming that Dr. Mundo was a particularly decent tank. It's just that he's be the worst character design in the game (no contest), to the point it's offensive how bad he looks, and his hatchet doesn't do him any favors either, even if it doesn't inflict all that much damage.

Needs to be deleted from the game, is all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom