• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
MicVlaD said:
Oh, I wasn't claiming that Dr. Mundo was a particularly decent tank. It's just that he's be the worst character design in the game (no contest), to the point it's offensive how bad he looks, and his hatchet doesn't do him any favors either, even if it doesn't inflict all that much damage.

Needs to be deleted from the game, is all!
Mundo certainly has his place. Hia cleaver does % dmg so it does awesomely against tanks. He's hardiness really shines in TT giving him the ability to lane forever and harass all day while being able to survive many gank attempts. As to his aesthetics... Calling a champ ugly and hating him mainly for that just seems retarded to me. What people choose to represent themselves in game is thier own decision.

Macattk15

MicVlaD said:
Oh, I wasn't claiming that Dr. Mundo was a particularly decent tank. It's just that he's be the worst character design in the game (no contest), to the point it's offensive how bad he looks, and his hatchet doesn't do him any favors either, even if it doesn't inflict all that much damage.

Whhaaaaa? Mundo is awesome. Corporate Mundo skin is one of the best. Sure he isn't a great tank but I don't play him that way. I play him, as someone said, a beefy ass DPS who regens health like a monster.

I'm still surprised the amount of people who don't buy wards. It's like every game I get 10 wards while the other 4 might get 2-3 wards combined. Is that 90-180g per fountain trip really going to deter you from getting your malady that much?

VaLiancY

MicVlaD said:

On SR, he's mediocre. On TT, he's amazing.

Jazzy Network said:
I'm still surprised the amount of people who don't buy wards. It's like every game I get 10 wards while the other 4 might get 2-3 wards combined. Is that 90-180g per fountain trip really going to deter you from getting your malady that much?

Even in premades with my friends, they don't buy wards. 90g, so cheap and does so much. And then they get ganked and wonder what the fuck. :lol

y2dvd

Jazzy Network said:

This. What especially annoys me is if they refuse to buy sight wards for twitch and will feed him all day. Now I constantly mention to buy sight wards if any invis chars are giving problems and if I'm tank, I will grab oracles hella early if the team is too dumb to buy sight wards.

oxrock said:
Mundo certainly has his place. Hia cleaver does % dmg so it does awesomely against tanks. He's hardiness really shines in TT giving him the ability to lane forever and harass all day while being able to survive many gank attempts. As to his aesthetics... Calling a champ ugly and hating him mainly for that just seems retarded to me. What people choose to represent themselves in game is thier own decision.
I don't think badly or anything of players choosing to play as him and I've had some enjoyable runs alongside him, serving as his support, but as someone who isn't interested in using him purely due to a superficial reason, I'd rather have a more... pleasing visual design when that character does show up in a random game.

I'm fine with the majority of the champions' appearances in League of Legends, though admittedly there are a few I'm not fond of either, including my current mains (Kayle and Mordekaiser). Anyways... Perhaps I was a bit harsh with my previous comments and all of this most likely comes off as fickle whining, but to me he sticks out like a sore thumb and the only one in the cast that 'bothers' me. Kind of like how some Street Fighter players are instantly annoyed by Blanka just by the mere sight of him, ignoring the fact his gameplay tends to rub these people the wrong way as well.

But I'll leave this topic be. It's not like I have anything else to add anyway, let alone discuss his strats since I only recently started playing.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
When Tekno and I duo queue on SR we're always the only people who buy wards, and they consistently save the team from ganks, ensure neutrals are always ours, and provide critical general positioning info. Always buy wards, even if your teammates don't.

vesp

MicVlaD said:

Mundo Mundo and Corporate Mundro are awesome

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nothing tells me there is a free kill at the start of the game as a jungle character with smite. Aka, I'm going to the Blue Golem right as it spawns. So far I'm 4/5 with first blood as kenny thanks to it. The 5 was a nunu who got away =[

Anyways had my first game as Warick in a while and went full jungle. Did pretty fucking well. :lol

And with wards, it's funny. Two wards can completely cover top lane and bottom. One right around each entrance/between the neutral spawn bosses and in the center. I can see who is coming up/down, going in and out of blue golem, and at special boss.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
EviLore said:
When Tekno and I duo queue on SR we're always the only people who buy wards, and they consistently save the team from ganks, ensure neutrals are always ours, and provide critical general positioning info. Always buy wards, even if your teammates don't.
what key spots do you place them at?

at what point in the game do you buy them? how do you prioritise them relative to buying gear for your champ?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Scrow said:

at what point in the game do you buy them? how do you prioritise them relative to buy gear for your champ?

Essential points are in the river on either side to detect ganks. Generally you'll want the eastern river ward to be at dragon so you can control it. Western side will want to be at baron when it's at risk of being completed, or anywhere convenient otherwise. If you have a heavy jungler on the enemy team who is stealing your golem and lizard buffs, ward those areas and gank him when he goes for them.

When to buy? When you blue pill (or die) and buy items and have >=90g left over, basically, which is going to be most times unless you recall at a specific gold amount.

Rayven

aka surume
EviLore said:
It's because each variant is 100MB and they want to keep the client size down.
Also winter has always had some annoying quirks. Some particles don't show well on the bright ground like Chogath's Rupture.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
HeartAttackJones said:
Also winter has always had some annoying quirks. Some particles don't show well on the bright ground like Chogath's Rupture.

Yeah, never cared for it.

caromelo

EviLore said:
It's because each variant is 100MB and they want to keep the client size down.
The game has to update itself automatically before you can even log into the game. I don't think that a 100MB map is the problem here, unless of course you're on 56k.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
caromelo said:
The game has to update itself automatically before you can even log into the game. I don't think that a 100MB map is the problem here, unless of course you're on 56k.

This is straight from Riot, not my personal opinion.

NeoCross

ACE 1991 said:
Thinking of unlocking Garen. Thoughts?
a70SC.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A lot, usually 6-10. Around the same as HoN.

But you'll have to jump through hoops to get everyone to play together.

caromelo

Would it be a good idea to start up a GAF chat room in game? Perhaps it'll be better to try and organise games that way, when everyone is logged on.

caromelo said:
Would it be a good idea to start up a GAF chat room in game? Perhaps it'll be better to try and organise games that way, when everyone is logged on.

Either that or a Steam Group. It's hard for me to play with only Gaffers though (btw you might notice I caved in and reinstalled in just a week, but I'm playing less), I have a bunch of real life friends who take priority.

vesp

Guess im not on the list, so my summoner name is Vesp.

Add me, especially if you play late night west coast times!

VaLiancY

Scrow said:

at what point in the game do you buy them? how do you prioritise them relative to buying gear for your champ?

post-96192-1276479962.jpg

If there is a Fiddle on the other team, I make it my priority to ward the bushes.:lol

Eh Vlad really isn't that OP anymore. He's only OP mid game around level 7-14. If he doesn't snowball, his late game isn't anything more than R and kite.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Jazzy Network said:
Eh Vlad really isn't that OP anymore. He's only OP mid game around level 7-14. If he doesn't snowball, his late game isn't anything more than R and kite.
So... he's only op for a majority of the game which makes it easy for him to snowball. Gotcha

Macattk15

I need to start playing with more GAF people. Not to toot my own horn but I think I'm pretty good at this game ... I rack up kills on carries, I assist well, I buy wards, don't have problems playing tanks when needed .... but all I do is play pub games by myself and it is just mind boggling the shit groups I often get put into.

I come primarily from HoN but wanted to play something else (even though its basically the same game when boiled down) after burning myself out on HoN.

Maybe I need to start playing some more ranked games, I dunno.

I find it funny they are hotfixing LeBlanc also.

"Eh Vlad really isn't that OP anymore. He's only OP mid game around level 7-14. If he doesn't snowball, his late game isn't anything more than R and kite."

Vlad's not OP, but he is very good at dominating mid.

Haly

Main problem is you can't message people in game, so you'll have to watch for them to like, come out then grab them before they start a new one.

oxrock said:
So... he's only op for a majority of the game which makes it easy for him to snowball. Gotcha
7 levels = majority of game? Lol wut?

Here's how you beat Vlad in mid. Harrass the shit out of him pre level 7. He can't do shit. He won't farm therefore he won't be as dominant mid game and he'll be absolutely useless late game.

Haly

How do you harass the shit out of Vlad?

Even as Zilean I can't out harass a Vlad because I empty my resources (mana) before he does his(hp).

The only method is through skill shots that out range him or someone who has just as much laning power (although I have yet to see Morde vs Vlad). Bad vlad will use their Q to farm and that's the best moment to go in and try to get a hit on him, when it's on CD, but good Vlads will just last hit and save the Q to harass you if you try to get close.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Halycon said:

Even as Zilean I can't out harass a Vlad because I empty my resources (mana) before he does his(hp).

The only method is through skill shots that out range him or someone who has just as much laning power (although I have yet to see Morde vs Vlad). Bad vlad will use their Q to farm and that's the best moment to go in and try to get a hit on him, when it's on CD, but good Vlads will just last hit and save the Q to harass you if you try to get close.
I've had great experience with Kennan versus Vlad(Someone who out ranges him).

But I'll agree, Vlad is pretty much top tier with middle. No mana costs, life steal, and fantastic escape. Normally the characters that do well against him are going be tanks. :lol

Macattk15

Halycon said:

I've pushed him out with Miss Fortune with well timed bounces ... though I guess a good Vlad would not allow me to get in positions to get those bounces off .... pushed him out with Kennen since Kennen is just as spammable and has greater range (but needs to land skill shots) .... pushed him out with Malzahar and his bouncing DoT ... etc.

caromelo

Just played Akali for the first time today. I think I got a hang of her mechanics alright enough. Man is she fun, 1v1ing Kog has never been so easy. =D

Yeah, Akali, Kass, and Kennen are the most fun characters to play in the game I find. Akali is the biggest snowball in the game, Kass has the most fun/versatile ult in the game and great burst damage, and Kennen you are constantly doing something or other, and it's important to keep track of Mark of Storms.

Just played a great ranked game as Kennen mid. Our team was getting beat early, but then we all decided to go tank build with our guys and decimated the other team. Four Guardian Angels and a Kayle was too much for them in team fights.

Steaks

Always buy wards with excess gold. As long as you have a slot and ~90-300 gold: buy wards. If you have to wait 3 seconds in base for a ward, do it.

Some champions should favor wards over others. Champions with high map mobility are more likely to return to base, and should purchase more wards. Support heroes have less need for tons of gold, they should buy more wards. Other champions should follow the "extra gold" rule. Junglers should especially be buying wards through mid game and should be the primary person to ward crucial river spots due to how often they move around the map, minimizing EXP/gold loss.

Place wards when you know people aren't around, or you are passing through an area.

Also, one of the most important ward placements not mentioned: the back of Baron's den, which allows Purple team to kill Baron without doing so much as going through river, and allows Blue to see this. Other important ward spots are any checkpoints that you have to pass through to get to Baron, if you are about to take him. Bring 2 wards and put them in the bushes along the way to Baron so that if a gank is coming you are prepared for it with optimal positioning. Baron changes games, 200 gold often does not. Buy those wards for extra security. A safe baron kill or acing the enemy team will go a lot further than the mild inconvenience of gold loss.

The #1 way of making it into higher Elos is buying wards and playing a champion that can carry a team in some way as well as good leadership abilities.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
caromelo said:
Just played Akali for the first time today. I think I got a hang of her mechanics alright enough. Man is she fun, 1v1ing Kog has never been so easy. =D
Aki is fantastic. If I have to say there is one character in the game that needs the nerf bat, it's her. Shroud is that damn good.

Steaks

shintoki said:
Aki is fantastic. If I have to say there is one character in the game that needs the nerf bat, it's her. Shroud is that damn good.
Akali isn't that good, or bad for that matter. She's really good at putting out burst damage and punishing players who don't understand her very well though. Her shroud is okay at deterring attackers in a team fight and for juking, but it doesn't make much of a difference when the most powerful thing in the game (AoE synergy) will ruin her, cloaked or not.

dionysus

Yaldog
I play Vlad a lot. Pre level 7 his cooldowns are so long on his q that he is super easy to harass. As soon as you see him use his q harass him, he won't be able to do shit back. If you wait till level 9 to start harassing him you are screwed. See, all his other abilities take his health away. His w does a lot of damage to him and little to you, his e is good but it takes stacks to get good, and every stack takes more of his health. With a long cooldown on his q you can harass him with impunity.

He is kind of like Zilean in how you play him. If you let Vlad use his q on you with impunity, just like if you let zilean use his bomb on you, you lose the lane hard. If he uses his q on you, you punish him for doing it. Now, once his cooldowns are low your strategy has to completely change.

VaLiancY

Get in Vlad's ass early before he turns level 9. Rank 1 on his pool is on a 15 second cooldown and takes the same percentage of health on all ranks. I like Vlad but his slowness and his early game make me take Annie or Anivia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom