• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've tried my tank team twice more (sorry, no recordings) for a total of four tries. We are now 3-1. Our loss came at the hands of a team that we fed early and was well coordinated late with lots of CC and three Bloodrazors. The last game we played, looked to have the same outcome until we hit a peak about 35min in. I was Udyr, and basically carried after I got Madred's, Banshee's, and a Sunfire Cape. Shen and Galio also had some really good ults that won us the game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for building Xin?

I bought him after hearing comparisons to Akali(my best champ) but I haven't had a really successful build.

I start building attack speed, then either go damage or defense depending on the game.

but I don't think I've really been a credit to my team playing this way.

Big Chungus

Bought the collectors pack, entered the code but nothing unlocks...

I checked out their support forum and it's happening to a bunch of people.

*sigh*

phinious

Halycon said:
I'll cede Randuin's but I only see Force of Nature doing well if:
1) It's really late game and they're hurting for some MR
2) Tanks were fed and they get it to troll all the casters

I use FoN on Garren as my goto MR item. Its not redonkulously good, but its hard to build MR with garren. He is so weak without his cloaks of the sun.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
phinious said:
I use FoN on Garren as my goto MR item. Its not redonkulously good, but its hard to build MR with garren. He is so weak without his cloaks of the sun.
Even for heroes without mana i like to build banshees.

Sure I hate myself over not being cost efficient every time but my reasoning is that I'd rather waste money on mana than health regen.

So, I had a mixed night, but I feel I'm getting more comfortable with the game. I'm still trying to feel out what's a decent build for Tristana, which is hard without having that built in knowledge of what weapons are good, and by what standards.

I mean, there's an item that gives you 36% to crit for only 880 gold! It's ludicrous!

FlightOfHeaven said:
So, I had a mixed night, but I feel I'm getting more comfortable with the game. I'm still trying to feel out what's a decent build for Tristana, which is hard without having that built in knowledge of what weapons are good, and by what standards.

I mean, there's an item that gives you 36% to crit for only 880 gold! It's ludicrous!

I don't claim to build her right, but the few times I play her I go one of two ways.

- Start with a Doran's Blade and health pot.

- If I don't have 2200 gold after first blue pill, I get up to three Doran's Blades and Boots (either Berserker Greaves or Merc Treds). This gives you health, life steal, and extra damage.

- If I do have 2200 gold after my first blue pill, I just grab a BF Sword and normal Boots.

- Normally after the beginning you'll want some combination of Infinity Edge, Black Cleaver, Frozen Mallet, and Phantom Dancer.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ugh. Had a horrible game. I think I did more damage as our Trist. Followed by a Morgana lecturing how he always builds his character this way, and how we fail for not utilizing it.He decided to build a Tankgana when we already had a tank, followed with zero AP, and also buying unique aura items I already got... Didn't even say anything either. Just did it. :lol

Thanks for the recommendations, thestopsign.

I tend to go for Madred's Razors first, along with a Berserker's Greaves for mobility and farming power (along with Explosive Shot). I quickly get Emblem of Valour and a Phage to reduce squishiness. Then I get a Recurve bow, and I just start finishing all the items I have; Stark's Fervor, Frozen Mallet, Madred's Bloodrazor in that order. I usually get Cloak of Agility for scary damage output around this time, followed by a BF sword, which leads to an Infinity Edge.

I have gotten Phantom Dance once or twice, and it's worked really well. I just forget it exists. I wish there was a way to save your build.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
FlightOfHeaven said:
I wish there was a way to save your build.
it's a good idea to be fluid with your builds. It needs to be altered depending on the other team's composition and the flow of the game. Might not be a bad idea to right down a few builds suited for different situations if you have trouble getting it right on the fly.

Steaks

Halycon said:
Even for heroes without mana i like to build banshees.

Sure I hate myself over not being cost efficient every time but my reasoning is that I'd rather waste money on mana than health regen.
Health Regen is actually effective HP in a fight that lasts a few seconds though.

Math:
40 HP Regen/5 sec.
10 HP per second (50 HP5s), on an average tank you generally have 3k health when you have a FoN due to the passive.

This means in an average team fight, you have about 200 bonus HP. Nothing to scoff at, but it's less of an itemization waste. The problem is FoN scales REALLY well with total HP, and is kind of bleh without it, it is an amazing late game MR item and should always be after your core HP items. I would say the HP regen vs flat HP in an actual team fight would even out to about 450g wasted, similar to what you would lose to a Mana Crystal. It also gives you a buttload of MR and movement speed, a very good stat.

I certainly can't be assed to crunch the numbers of the amount of effective HP you gain from the extra MR from FoN vs the HP you get on Veil, or the passive of Veil. They're both very solid MR items and honestly in most cases as a tank you might be better off with both considering most damage in the game is magic based.

Edit: If you have a channeling spell, (like Galio), however, Veil is straight up a better item, period.

I think I'm becoming pretty decent at the game now:

e7m9l3.png

I am, of course, SouthernDragon.

I know, but this is, like, my 19th match and I just started around 2 weeks ago. I think it's progress.

Hey, there's gotta be some room for the scrub Summoners, right? Also, prior to those games I got ANNIHILATED by a giant zergling thing

I have no runes. I don't even know how to purchase them, or what they do exactly. I'm going to hazard that this is going to be something I have to know sooner or later.

I've been playing this game for a while now and the people I played with on the way up to 30 aren't handling the change to higher level competition very well. They're getting tired of getting rolled against good 5v5 teams and are probably going to quit soon.

I don't know who from the GAF crew is still actively playing, but I'd love to play with any of you who are looking to do steady 5v5's and need a 5th. Although to be honest, I'm just looking for anyone to play with.

Give me a message if any of you want to play. My name is MisterMysterious in game.

Would you like to play?

I am a level 7, though, I'm not sure I'm up to your standards and whatnot.

It'd be nice to have a steady group that plays on Fridays, though.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Would you like to play?

I am a level 7, though, I'm not sure I'm up to your standards and whatnot.

It'd be nice to have a steady group that plays on Fridays, though.

I'm level 30 at this point, but I'd be happy to play with you and get you acquainted with LoL. I usually play a game or two each night.

As for runes, don't rush on buying them. You need to figure out what characters/types you like to play first then buy runes that benefit those champions. Figure this out by level 20 or so and start buying the t3 tunes with the IP you saved up.

y2dvd

Played 3v3 for the first time yesterday. Dang so many new buffs and the map is so different that it felt like a new game lol.

I played against some wolf dude yesterday.

It was like playing against the Lycanthope in DotA. He's fucking ridiculous. I was fully decked out, too:

Bloodthirster
Berserker Boots
Dancing Blade
Frozen Mallet
Infinity Edge
The Black Cleaver

And he STILL kicked ass.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Warick, and depending on how much you let him farm. He can become a beast. But he's also pretty squishy and once his stun is gone. Easy as all hell to kite/shutdown.

Stridone

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:

It was like playing against the Lycanthope in DotA. He's fucking ridiculous. I was fully decked out, too:

Bloodthirster
Berserker Boots
Dancing Blade
Frozen Mallet
Infinity Edge
The Black Cleaver

And he STILL kicked ass.

You mean Warwick? He's not that great, just don't take him one on one.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
FlightOfHeaven said:

Bloodthirster
Berserker Boots
Dancing Blade
Frozen Mallet
Infinity Edge
The Black Cleaver

And he STILL kicked ass.

Would help if you said who you were playing as. I'm going to go ahead and assume you're playing tristana. Who you faced I can only assume is warwick. He's a fairly powerful melee if you don't have any cc, he certainly becomes manageable if you do though.

Stridone said:
You mean Warwick? He's not that great, just don't take him one on one.
If you have to 2v1 someone to win a fight against them it doesn't mean they're "not that great":D That's how you have to deal with things though, if you run into an opponant you can't handle alone you have to call in for a gank or two until he either becomes managable or switches lanes.

Yeah, it was Warwick, and I was Tristana. I was the carry for the team.

I don't know all the heros and their abilities, but all I know is that in a 1v1 he'd kill me more often than not, and in team fights it'd take two to three to take him down. I'll post the summary once I get home, but he was just ridiculous. :/

I mean, look at my items! I had like 2.6k life, with 250 damage output, around 40% lifeleech and slow/armor reduction effect per hit! My crits were like 400-500!

:(

Stridone

Banned
oxrock said:
If you have to 2v1 someone to win a fight against them it doesn't mean they're "not that great":D That's how you have to deal with things though, if you run into an opponant you can't handle alone you have to call in for a gank or two until he either becomes managable or switches lanes.

Meh, LoL is a teamgame, if a champion is great 1v1 but worthless in teamfights I'd say he's not that great.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
VaLiancY said:
Kog'maw now has the best skin in the game.
He's a pretty butterfly :O

*Insert his trumpet charge*

As already stated, certain classes will take more to bring down, Galio and Uydr being the big two off the top of my head. Where you'll probably need 2-3 to bring down, or better to say... not to allow them to escape. :lol

Ones like WW are pure gankers. They find the squishy and go to work. Either you have to be aware of where he is to avoid him, or travel with a partner. After he burns his single stun. He's easy to shutdown. More with a class like Trist that can knock him back and do the jump to gain distance. It's a team game, not 1v1. Find the best ways to counter. If that means starting a group of 3 to gank individual lanes, then so be it. One good gank can led to many others.

The problem in that particular match was that I was "the best one" which usually means we're in trouble. I outleveled everyone else, but each of my teammates were outleveled by their respective counterparts on the other team. They also played intelligently, which means Warwick was almost always accompanied by someone else, making things rather difficult.

We gave them a fight, though, taking down practically all of their towers and 3 of the barracks at one point. I just wish we could buy back, after a certain point gold is worthless.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Were you buying all 3 potions? To boost your stats? And Orcale if they have an invis character? Gold is never worthless, since you can keep folding them into pots.

shintoki said:
Were you buying all 3 potions? To boost your stats? And Orcale if they have an invis character? Gold is never worthless, since you can keep folding them into pots.

What? Potions? I had 6 full slots, I couldn't buy anything.

They did have a ninja (Akali?), and I usually get a Wiggle's Lantern to counter her, but she was not worth it, really. It was Warwick.

At any rate, I'm going to be playing again tonight. Hopefully I'll get better. I purchased Kayle and I don't know why, so I'll be trying to figure her out soon.

Teknopathetic said:
"What? Potions? I had 6 full slots, I couldn't buy anything."

If all your slots are full, elixirs will automatically apply on purchase.

My mind, it is reeling.

Do they stack?

Like, if I purchase 3 different potions, do all the effects apply? Or if I buy 3 of the same?

Had I known this, the outcome would have been decidedly different. I could kill two of the others on my own, I could have certainly taken down Warwick with those potions at my disposal!

The elixirs won't stack with themselves but you can stack every other one, so agility, fortitude, Oracle, etc. will all stack making you a blinding ball of auras.

idlewild_

Stridone said:
How long till the new free champs? I want to play Twitch but 6300 ip is ridiculous. :(

Mondays...though to be honest, the only time I've seen twitch free was during that weekend where all champs were free to play. the 6300 champs are rarely free.

Leezard

idlewild_ said:
Mondays...though to be honest, the only time I've seen twitch free was during that weekend where all champs were free to play. the 6300 champs are rarely free.
This is not true. Just look a couple of weeks back in the champ rotation (as in about 10 weeks), which gives an average of less than 2 6300 champs but more than 1 of em each week. Granted, the latest few weeks we have seen few 6300 champs free, but its not like they're rarely free.

idlewild_

Leezard said:
This is not true. Just look a couple of weeks back in the champ rotation (as in about 10 weeks), which gives an average of less than 2 6300 champs but more than 1 of em each week. Granted, the latest few weeks we have seen few 6300 champs free, but its not like they're rarely free.

i meant you rarely see particular 6300 champ free, just worded it wrong. versus the cheap champs that come up all the time. if you're holding your breath for a particular one to come up in a given week, your chances are that great

Leezard

idlewild_ said:
i meant you rarely see a particular 6300 champ free, just worded it wrong. there are ones for free, i've seen kog free at least twice, but never seen twitch/vlad/galio/etc. except for that one free weekend.
Yeah, once a 6300 has been free it will usually take quite some time for it to happen again.
Vlad/gallio were free about 6-8 weeks ago I believe, so that has been a while as well. Karthus was free three weeks close to each other around that time as well. :/
Twitch is probably free soon, since the last time was so long ago.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
so... what's the deal with sona? i was told she's meant to be a support, but when she raped me it felt like a nuker. :p

"so... what's the deal with sona? i was told she's meant to be a support, but when she raped me it felt like a nuker. :p"

Her Q is fairly spammable due to its low cooldown, but that's the only damage spell she has. She can't get kills on her own.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Scrow said:
so... what's the deal with sona? i was told she's meant to be a support, but when she raped me it felt like a nuker. :p

Sona has very little killing power. I normally get left alone early against someone like Mord(Or another lower dps class) or the other teams tank. And we basically just wail on each other till we realize, my damage is too small for a killing blow and their damage can't really out damage my heal.

This completely changes once you get a partner or begin team fights. All her spells are pure support. Boosts abilities, damage, and heal all on low cooldowns. She basically can become the carry for an entire team or partner.

sohois

Its funny that the last few posts sould be debating the power of Sona given the most recent patch notes:
New Skins in the Store

* Nightblade Irelia
* Aviator Irelia
* Feral Warwick
* Monarch Kog’Maw
* Secret Agent Miss Fortune

PVP.net v1.23.10

* The Harrowing map has replaced the Winter map and can be selected by choosing "Autumn" when creating a Practice Game
* You will now receive a warning when your IP or XP boost is about to expire
* Fixed a bug where a user from a duo queue would automatically get the Captain slot
* Fixed a bug where the Leaver status was not displayed in the Recent Games list
* Fixed a bug where chat would automatically move the display to the bottom when a message was received

League of Legends v1.0.0.105
Irelia, the Will of the Blades

* Bladesurge: Irelia dashes forward to strike her target. If it kills the target, Bladesurge's cooldown refreshes and half the mana cost is refunded.
* Hiten Style: Irelia is skilled in the art of Hiten, passively giving her physical attacks health restoration. Activating Hiten Style adds true damage to her physical attacks for a short duration.
* Equilibrium Strike: Irelia's attack balances the scales, dealing damage and slowing the target. However, if the target has a higher Health % than Irelia, then the blow stuns the target instead.
* Transcendent Blades (Ultimate): Irelia summons four spirit blades which she can fling at her enemies. These blades deal magic damage to enemies that they pass through, siphoning life from them and healing Irelia.
* Ionian Fervor (Passive): Each nearby enemy champion (to a maximum of three) reduces the effectiveness of Crowd Control on Irelia.

Alistar

* Fixed a bug with Pulverize where the stun particle would show over units that don't get stunned

Amumu

* Curse of the Sad Mummy
o Curse of the Sad Mummy is now consistent with other similar skills (Dark Binding, Crescendo) and will deal damage to Black Shield
o Fixed a bug where it was disabling enemies for too long
o Now deals 150/250/350 damage initially rather than 150/300/450 damage over the duration

Anivia

* Fixed a bug where Ice Wall could trap Champions inside for the duration

Annie

* Summon: Tibbers tooltip cleaned up for clarity and included the damage values for Tibbers' area of effect damage

Cho'Gath

* Fixed a bug with Rupture that showed cooldown in the levelup tooltip even though the cooldown did not change

Corki

* Fixed Valkyrie's level-up tooltip to show the effects of Corki's current cooldown reduction
* Missile Barrage
o Base damage reduced to 120/190/260 from 125/200/275
o Mana cost increased to 30/35/40 from 25/30/35
o Big Ones now deal 60% increased damage, down from 100%
* Cleaned up Gatling Gun and Missile Barrage tooltips

Fiddlesticks

* Crowstorm now immediately applies Dread to the surrounding area after using Crowstorm

Galio

* Idol of Durand
o Fixed a bug where casting would break an enemy's Spell Shield and then taunt them again
o Fixed a bug where the taunt particle sometimes played on targets that blocked the taunt
o Fixed a bug where Idol of Durand's ability power ratio was inconsistent
o Ability power ratio decreased to .8 from 0.85
* Bulwark duration reduced to 3.5 seconds from 4
* Righteous Gust base damage reduced to 65/110/155/200/245 from 70/115/160/205/250
* Righteous Gust ability power ratio reduced to 0.65 from 0.8
* Resolute Smite ability power ratio increased to 0.70 from 0.6

Garen

* Reduced Garen's selection size

Karthus

* Clarified Wall of Pain's tooltip slightly to emphasize that target movement speeds are restored over time

Katarina

* Fixed several tooltip errors with Death Lotus related to number of champions hit

Kog'maw

* Fixed a bug where Bio-Arcane Barrage was doing more damage than intended
* Fixed a bug where Bio-Arcane Barrage was dealing physical damage instead of magic damage

LeBlanc

* Mimic cooldown decreased to 40/35/30 from 40 at all ranks
* Armor per level increased to 3.5 from 3.0

Lux

* Prismatic Barrier
o Missile width Increased 22%
o Mana cost reduced to 60 from 75
o Fixed a bug where Prismatic Barrier was granting less ability power ratio than stated
o Ability power ratio increased to .35 from .3
* Lucent Singularity
o Fixed a tooltip bug causing Lucent Singularity to display the wrong values
o Slow increased to 20/24/28/32/36 from 14/18/22/26/30
o Detonation radius increased to 350 from 300
* Finales Funkeln now ignites the Illumination debuff if the target is afflicted by it and refreshes the Illumination debuff duration

Malphite

* Fixed a bug with Ground Slam where it broke through Spell Shields and still affected the target

Miss Fortune

* Standard attack missile speed reduced to 2000 from 2250
* Bullet Time
o Fixed a bug where the bullets sometimes dealt too much damage.
o Fixed a bug where the tooltip was calculating bonus damage from Attack Damage incorrectly (at 45% instead of 40%)
o Lowered cone width by about 25%
* Fixed a bug with Strut where the bonus movement speed could go slightly above 70
* Make It Rain base damage reduced to 90/145/200/255/310 from 95/155/215/275/335

Mordekaiser

* Mace of Spades now has a 0.2 ability power ratio
* Fixed a bug where Mace of Spades didn't gain proc effects from Sheen, Lich Bane, and other similar items

Morgana

* Black Shield now only blocks disabling buffs (stuns, silences, taunts, blinds, slows, fears, roots, snares, and suppressions). For example, Akali's Mark of the Assassin, Soraka's Starcall, and Morgana's Tormented Soil will now go through Black Shield. The damage they deal will still be absorbed.

Nidalee

* Javelin Toss can now be cast out of range, and it will cast in that direction
* Fixed a bug where Javelin Toss would not hit stealthed Champions

Rammus

* Fixed a bug with Puncturing Taunt where the taunt particle sometimes played on targets that blocked the taunt

Shen

* Fixed a bug with Shadow Dash where the taunt particle sometimes played on targets that blocked the taunt

Singed

* Updated Insanity Potion's tooltip

Sion

* Cryptic Gaze missile speed increased to 1600 from 1100
* Fixed a bug with Death's Caress where the detonate tooltip was showing incorrect damage values

Sona

* All aura durations reduced to 2 seconds from 3
* All aura buff durations reduced to 0.25 seconds from 1
* Hymn of Valor
o Attack damage and ability power aura reduced to 6/8/10/12/14 from 8/11/14/17/20
o Mana cost increased to 65/70/75/80/85 from 55/60/65/70/75
* Song of Celerity
o Active movement speed boost reduced to 8/10/12/14/16 from 8/11/14/17/20
o Mana cost increased to 65/70/75/80/85 from 55/60/65/70/75
* Aria of Perseverance mana cost increased to 65/70/75/80/85 from 55/60/65/70/75
* Crescendo range reduced to 1000 from 1100

Soraka

* Fixed a bug with Starcall where it would stop dealing damage if the target reaches max stacks

Swain

* Decrepify leash range slightly increased
* Torment range increased to 625 from 600
* Ravenous Flock cooldown decreased to 10 seconds from 15 seconds
* Updated Swain's recommended items

Twisted Fate

* Fixed a bug with Destiny where the teleport spell was not being cancelled by suppression effects

Twitch

* Debilitating Poison slow duration reduced to 2/2.6/3.2/3.8/4.4 seconds from 2.5/3.25/4/4.75/5.25
* Spray and Pray attack speed reduced to 30/45/60%, from 40/60/80%

Vladimir

* Transfusion will now heal Vladimir even if the target is spell immune
* Hemoplague will no longer damage enemies if it is dispelled

Xin Zhao

* Fixed a bug where Xin Zhao was considered to be a ranged Champion for the purpose of items like Frozen Mallet, etc

Items

* Oracle's Elixir now shows a particle on the Champion who has True Sight
* New Item: Hexdrinker
o Long Sword + Long Sword + Null-Magic Mantle + 570 gold. Total cost is 1800 gold
o +35 Attack Damage
o +30 Magic Resistance
o UNIQUE Passive: If you would take Magic Damage which would leave you at less than 30% of your Maximum Health, you first gain a shield which absorbs 300 Magic Damage for 4 seconds. 45 second cooldown.
* Sword of the Divine combination cost reduced to 500 gold from 700 gold
* Sword of the Divine attack speed bonus increased to 60% from 55%
* Hextech Revolver spell vamp increased to 15% from 10%
* Hextech Gunblade spell vamp increased to 20% from 13%
* Hextech Gunblade life steal increased to 20% from 15%
* Will of the Ancients combination cost reduced to 465 gold from 765 gold
* Will of the Ancients spell vamp increased to 20% from 15%
* Vision Ward and Sight Ward tooltips updated

General

* The Harrowing map has replaced the Winter map and can be selected under "Autumn" when creating a Practice Game
* The icon on all towers should now properly display as the correct icon for True Sight
* Baron Nashor has been moved to the center of his arena and he can no longer knock you out of his arena
* Halloween Quintessence armor penetration reduced to 3.08 from 3.62
* Fixed a bug where Tier 2 attack damage Seals were giving a third of their intended value
* Fixed a bug where casting a spell while moving and being silenced would cause the spell to fizzle
* Fixed a bug where Champions could accidentally walk through walls

Audio

* Fixed bug causing Lux’s illumination impact audio not to play
* Fixed Baron Nashor's audio playing through FOW
Seems like the changes are mostly to those consider OP according to Elementz tier list, though they are so minor it shouldn't make too much of a difference except for Sona's nerfs. She was much better than Taric or Soraka however so i can't really see how anyone could have too much of a problem with the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom