• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
FlightOfHeaven said:
alright, how do you play Sona?

I just had to pick her for this game, and golly...

I think I did everything right, but I was spamming abilities left and right.
I HIGHLY suggest you pick a fairly simple character to play, read a guide and stick with that champ for a long while. Learn that champ's ins and outs and throughout your games you'll see what other champions are doing and build yourself a mental encyclopedia of what works with who and how to do it. With this most recent patch melee carries were buffed so you can expect to be facing them a lot in matches. 3 champs in particular come to mind that do very well at negating enemy carries and they are Garen, Mortekaiser and Jax. I suggest picking one of those and playing at least 25 matches before trying someone else.

caromelo

I don't think Sona can be played incorrectly if you're spamming abilities left and right. If you have proper positioning, map awareness and timing she's probably one of the most easiest to play. The reason she was banned so much, especially before the nerfs was because her character allows a lower Elo player to have the same impact as someone who's ranked higher. Her skill cap is that low.

And that's why I play her often. :p

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
oxrock said:
With this most recent patch melee carries were buffed so you can expect to be facing them a lot in matches.
how were melee carries buffed? i missed that patch news.

Azar

Patch notes are easy to find, but basically their base speeds have been reduced a bit and the effectiveness of Lizard and has been lowered on ranged attacks compared to melee.

oxrock said:
I HIGHLY suggest you pick a fairly simple character to play, read a guide and stick with that champ for a long while. Learn that champ's ins and outs and throughout your games you'll see what other champions are doing and build yourself a mental encyclopedia of what works with who and how to do it. With this most recent patch melee carries were buffed so you can expect to be facing them a lot in matches. 3 champs in particular come to mind that do very well at negating enemy carries and they are Garen, Mortekaiser and Jax. I suggest picking one of those and playing at least 25 matches before trying someone else.

Well, I've been doing that with Tristana and Xin. I've played 70+ matches now, so I think I'm starting to figure them out.

Kinda.

But I just want versatility in my approach. We can't have teams consisting of Yi, Tristana, Xin, Veigar and Annie. Which is why I'm looking for a good support character and a good tanking character to play as.

What's a good build for Sona anyways? I ended up buying a bunch of her recommended items anyways, but I'm wondering if there's a Sona-Pro here who'd give me a few tips on how to level her abilities and what item build I should go for.

In the mean time, I think I'll continue playing Xin and Tristana. I think I'm starting to become more effective with Xin than Tristana...

Depending on who's cheaper in IP points, I'll be picking up Sona, Shen, or Rammus soon.

Edit: Mordekaiser and Garen intrigue me, too. Morde seems especially tough to kill, I don't think I've ever managed to kill him...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
FlightOfHeaven said:
You can build her Aura bitch or AP Carry. She's extremely versatile, if it's not a tanking item or AD item, she can probably use it effectively.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
FlightOfHeaven said:
What's a good build for Sona anyways? I ended up buying a bunch of her recommended items anyways, but I'm wondering if there's a Sona-Pro here who'd give me a few tips on how to level her abilities and what item build I should go for.
The only two difficult parts about Sona is the first few levels and keeping match awareness. Both of which are extremely easy the more time you play in the game. Yet when new, it's kind of difficult to understand.

Her recommended items are fine. Only two others I may consider would be the Soulstealer and Locket. You should die very little, therefore getting a large amount of stacks on the Soulstealer should be a breeze. The locket is great too. Cooldown reduction+mana/health regen. It's the best battery for a healer in the game.

dionysus

Yaldog
thestopsign said:
Hmmm... I find that Udyr is one of the hardest champs in the game to fully kill, so you really shouldn't be dying more than 2-3 times a game. You shouldn't be ganking all that much (or at least I don't), which might piss off your teammates, but it's for the best in the long run. The gold and XP in the jungle up until lvl 9 or so is invaluable. He definitely is not an early game hero, so not getting by 25 minutes is hurting you a lot and ganks often don't work out and leave you without much XP.

I was trying to gank too much after 4, that was the problem. I am doing a lot better now. Before lvl 9 udyr is surprisingly squishy and has pretty low damage output. He is definitely a mid game and late game hero. So now I really only try to gank if allies call for help or the other team is really overextended. I also avoid getting overconfident and thinking I can help gank mid when I am 5 and they are 8-9.

So... should I get stuff like Starks on her?

I'm really tempted to do something like that. Starks and Frozen Heart, along with Locket, Soulstealer, and Aegis.

phinious

FlightOfHeaven said:

I'm really tempted to do something like that. Starks and Frozen Heart, along with Locket, Soulstealer, and Aegis.

Id only go with auras that benefit yourself too. Your whole team wont be there all the time. Also, I have success with Sona going straight up AP. Get a soulstealer Archangel etc. You can hepl your team alot by spamming BIG heals. Once I get the archangel, I have no mana problems for the rest of the match as sona.

sohois

FlightOfHeaven said:

Starks is one of the better dps items in the game so any decent dps player on your team should be getting one. Similarly, Aegis is a great tank item and your teams tank will often buy one, so you might want to give those two low priority. I'd recommend Abyssal Scepter & Soul Shroud as aura items for Sona over those 2.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
FlightOfHeaven said:

That's a pretty retarded build. You probably shouldn't create your own builds till you play the game longer. Even with some 5+ months of play and a few hundred games, when I start a new character. I look at a guide first. After a few games, getting use to the skills. Then I make my own builds to suit my play.

You have a single item with AP, AP you have to earn. Sona needs AP. You do more damage and you heal more. I'd say outside one, maybe two items. Everything should have AP on it. Also getting items which are no use to you, just make it easier for the other team.

Hey, I'm just thinking about auras and throwing ideas out there. I'll stick with the recommendations I have for now.

What about Frozen Heart, though? That seems pretty useful.

Edit:

Guys.

TARIC

Fuckin' Taric! So good!

dionysus

Yaldog
Just a reminder that there are a bunch of usernames on the first page.

Also, add me, lvl 28, will play with all skill levels and enjoy it:

Dionysus22

Added.

I'm usually on past 11 p.m. most nights.

This game is way too addictive.

Also, level 14, semi-decent with Xin, Taric, Tristana, Sona.

Oh, my summoner name?

SouthernDragon

Tesseract

Banned
love this game, sans crack or flaw. it just feels right, and rarely if ever glitches or bugs you out of the experience. great netcode, too.

dionysus

Yaldog
Riot is confusing me, normally I don't complain about metagame cause I will just adjust my champion selection to fit. But it seems really strange to me to implement a minor ranged carry nerf, and then turn around and the very next patch they are going to nerf all the popular melee carries.

Nerfing Udyr, Olaf, Malphite, Garen, etc. and some of these aren't minor nerfs either. As I see it the game will become only more ranged carry meta after this patch. They are specifically targetting tankiness.

Tesseract said:
love this game, sans crack or flaw. it just feels right, and rarely if ever glitches or bugs you out of the experience. great netcode, too.

Says he as the server crashes.

Otherwise, though, I agree. Great game, great netcode, lots of fun

And what's this about nerfing melee characters? My favorites are characters like Garen, Xin, and Taric.

dionysus

Yaldog
FlightOfHeaven said:
Says he as the server crashes.

Otherwise, though, I agree. Great game, great netcode, lots of fun

And what's this about nerfing melee characters? My favorites are characters like Garen, Xin, and Taric.

From what I have read they are nerfing melee dps characters who are "too" tanky. Ones that can maintain good damage while building mostly tank gear. Olaf, Udyr, Xin (don't know why they think Udyr has good damage, but he is a bitch to kill.) Nerfing locket and Randuin's for everyone. I would expect the damage output and damage ratios to remain unchanged, but base survivability and health to fall.

Also, not really nerfing Garen, they are readjusting him. Some things will be buffed and others nerfed. Trying to make other builds more viable other than just straight sunfires.

I personally think it amounts to a big nerf for melee. LoL has a shit ton of cc abilities. Almost every champion has at least one. Melee needs enough survivability to survive the durations of cc. If the nerf melee survivability they need to nerf cc across the board in my opinion. Ranged carries, through good play, can reduce the effect cc has on them. A melee carry has to put himself in harms way or risk being useless.

But like I said earlier, I am just critiquing. I will adjust play style no matter what metagame becomes dominant. I am not attached to one particular style of champion, even though I am loving jungle Udyr right now. He is basically a tank with a spammable stun that puts out a little aoe on top of that.

Xin has practically no survivability right now, and if you don't stack him with DPS items, he's kinda screwed.

How are they going to give him less survivability? Remove the armor buff from his ult? Give him no health growth? : (

Erasus

FlightOfHeaven said:

Xin has practically no survivability right now, and if you don't stack him with DPS items, he's kinda screwed.

How are they going to give him less survivability? Remove the armor buff from his ult? Give him no health growth? : (

You could try another champ if he gets nerfed :p

VaLiancY

Malphite is so FoTM I find it funny they're nerfing him. Never found an issue with Udyr being a beefy dps, I always he thought he was just right. And Locket gets another change. Lol.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Any Olaf tips?

I've been playing him as a Jungle using a safe route and starting with cloth and HPot

I then build into madred's razors, vampiric scepter and boots of speed like a guide suggests.

I then try to build up a frozen mallet but after that I'm not sure really how to build the guy?

Should I start stacking AD or attack speed for his W? or should I build health and atma's?

VaLiancY

Chopperman said:
Any Olaf tips?

I've been playing him as a Jungle using a safe route and starting with cloth and HPot

I then build into madred's razors, vampiric scepter and boots of speed like a guide suggests.

I then try to build up a frozen mallet but after that I'm not sure really how to build the guy?

Should I start stacking AD or attack speed for his W? or should I build health and atma's?
I'm typing this off by phone but when I get on a computer I'll find this image that will help you out with jungling.

I build Wriggles, Frozen Mallet, Negatron Cloak, build Starks and finish off Banshees. Build health items which will give you more AD via Brolafs W. Most of our damage will come from spamming E til you break your finger. Defensive items like omen is good because benefit it a lot.

I hope this help. Remember you're the best melee carry in the game, you dont take shit from no one. Jax can't dodge your E. :p

sohois

Chopperman said:
Any Olaf tips?

If your jungling olaf, wriggles lantern is a great item to get. After that i'll usually build a phage then Yomuus ghostblade finishing with a starks fervor (matches rarely last longer than that). I rarely build frozen mallet, the effect it has on W is actually pretty negligible and olaf has so much lifesteal he doesn't need loads of health.

If there's one thing to item id definately recommend, its yomuus ghostblade. You'll need to remember to actiavte its ability in teamfights, but if you do then its excellent on olaf.

Stridone

Banned
sohois said:
If there's one thing to item id definately recommend, its yomuus ghostblade. You'll need to remember to actiavte its ability in teamfights, but if you do then its excellent on olaf.

Pretty much why I never buy items with actives, I never ever remember to activate them in time.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Karth, why are you so awesome. His character has to be the biggest fuck you in the game.

3 want to turret dive me? Defile+Lay of waste spam, Right as death apporaches, hit em with wall of pain and more Lay of waste. Out of range, Bringing down the ult.

triple kill! :lol

10x better once I get Zhoyna's Ring.

dionysus

Yaldog
shintoki said:
Karth, why are you so awesome. His character has to be the biggest fuck you in the game.

3 want to turret dive me? Defile+Lay of waste spam, Right as death apporaches, hit em with wall of pain and more Lay of waste. Out of range, Bringing down the ult.

triple kill! :lol

10x better once I get Zhoyna's Ring.

Pretty easy to nullify though. In playing against a Karth I get a negatron cloak real early to reduce the power of the ult, then it is just smart play. Don't tower dive him, always keep moving if you are in the poking stage pre-fight, and move away from him once he is dead. There are better nukers. Karth though is pretty damn good vs. people who don't adjust their playstyles to the opposing teams champs. For example, at like level 9 Karth ult will take up to 50% of the side lanes health if they don't bother with MR. He can rack up major kills early on if he is solo laning. Pretty common. How many times have you seen people tower dive a low health Tryndamere....

Stridone said:
Pretty much why I never buy items with actives, I never ever remember to activate them in time.

It took me a while to get into the habit of use inv. items and only really stuck when I switched the key bindings to the extra buttons on my mouse. Now I just push the button by my thumb for ghostblade or randuin's.

Playing as Xin is fun, but people are so damn terrified of him.

I'm doing better because I'm not initiating, but I still get focused.

4/13/19 was my most recent score. We won, and I helped a lot, but I ended up taking as much damage as Shen on our team.

Edit:

I watched the streaming event.

what a waste of my time

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Finally bought Jax. I'm kind of slow to start, but once I get that level 6, Sheen+Gusinoo blade. It's like a fucking snowball on whoever I target. I think I drop health by 1/3 of bars. Even on their tank, he was down to 1/4 after my initial attack. :lol

Jax really is hitting God Tier if they nerf tanky characters but not him :lol

So, who do you guys recommend as a good, safe support character?

I'm seriously considering playing Sona. I'm playing with a friend who's level 20, and if I play a melee character I get insta-nuked, even if I delay my entry into a team fight. A solid, ranged support character is what I might use whenever I play with groups of people with higher elos than I.

Well, I'm doing pretty well with Taric. Last game went 7/11/4... and I had the highest kills. : /

I will probably buy Taric in the future, but I wanted a really, really safe support. Bought Sona for that.

I'll probably end up with two DPS, two supports, two casters, and two tanks, with 1 ranged and 1 melee in each category. I already have Xin and Tristana, and now I have Sona and will be getting Taric. So now I have to start thinking about casters and tanks. I hear Shen and Rammus are good, but I dunno anything about casters. Tried to play Ezreal but he's so, so very squishy. Love his Q and his R though.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Well, I'm doing pretty well with Taric. Last game went 7/11/4... and I had the highest kills. : /

I will probably buy Taric in the future, but I wanted a really, really safe support. Bought Sona for that.

I'll probably end up with two DPS, two supports, two casters, and two tanks, with 1 ranged and 1 melee in each category. I already have Xin and Tristana, and now I have Sona and will be getting Taric. So now I have to start thinking about casters and tanks. I hear Shen and Rammus are good, but I dunno anything about casters. Tried to play Ezreal but he's so, so very squishy. Love his Q and his R though.

I think the game becomes the best when you can go any champ that your team needs and still do well/have fun. I strive to not go the same character twice in a row and normally when I'm on a winning streak it's with all different champs.

thestopsign said:
I think the game becomes the best when you can go any champ that your team needs and still do well/have fun. I strive to not go the same character twice in a row and normally when I'm on a winning streak it's with all different champs.

I agree. When I really began to enjoy DotA was when I had a strong command of at least half the cast and decent command of 3/4ths of the cast. It'd be great to be able to swap in and out as needed.

But hey, it's like week 3 for me and I'm already branching out to 3 characters, not counting Sona.

Cels

My friends and I were messing around and made a tank team...TEAM SUNFIRE
We lucked out that the other team lacked casters.
The Mundo was a pub but he was a good spirit and tagged along.

20u7l2o.png

(I don't normally maximize the client like this, buttons get all funk as you can see and normally it runs at 1200x800 but I only maximized for screenshot purposes.)

ha ha ha, that's hilarious! I wish you could record matches, I'd love to see team matches go down. 600 AoE DPS... you don't even have to fight!

I'd like to mention I found a really, really good build order for Tristana.

Long Sword + Health Potion
-
Madreds' Razors
-
Berserker Boots + Recurve Bow
-
Recurve Bow -> Starks Fervor
-
Recurve Bow -> Last Whisper
-
Recurve Bow + Pickaxe + Madred's Razors -> Madred's Bloodrazors
-
Infinity Edge

Yes, you end up getting 3 Recurve Bows, and you start combining them into items. The reason I avoid transforming Madred's Razors early on is farming potential via Explosive Shot + IAS via the Recurve Bow varient-items.

It's bananas. You can get her up to 2.066 APS and hit the max of 2.5 APS early on with her Q ability. Hell, if the game runs on long enough, get a Frozen Mallet at the end for chasing.I got a score of 11/11/4 in one game and 16/17/9 in another. Really effective, and builds up nicely.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
FlightOfHeaven said:
I got a score of 11/11/4 in one game and 16/17/9 in another. Really effective, and builds up nicely.
why'd you die so much? i personally consider it a bad game if i die more than 5 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom