• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoCross

VaLiancY said:
She's the new sniper champion talked about in PC Gamer not so long ago. She's designed by Ezreal.
Since their last two heroes have been 4800 and 6300, there's a chance that she'll be at least only 3150 right? Cause I only just bought MF :( (and she's free this week, ffs)

I just want to point out that I hate it when level 30s join games that are clearly not for them.

Last night two buddies, one level 30 and one level 12 joined a game I was in. The 12 never played, and the 30 earned a pentakill.

Just great. That's what I join games for; to get stomped on by someone I'm not even supposed to face.

Yeah, but if two people want to play together on the same team, then what it does is balance.

So if you have a level 30 and a level 12, then it'll try to find something in the 18-20 range.

It doesn't really work. Sure, the level 18-20s eat the level 12, but then the level 30 eats everyone else.

I assume it's more complicated than my statement, but when someone has won 500+ games and most everyone else has won 70-ish games, well... their elo can be significantly lower in terms of win/loss ratio, but sheer experience will trump all.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
FlightOfHeaven said:
I assume it's more complicated than my statement, but when someone has won 500+ games and most everyone else has won 70-ish games, well... their elo can be significantly lower in terms of win/loss ratio, but sheer experience will trump all.
A single person can only do so much. Dead weight is a bitch. Very often I'm the only person on my team who's not feeding and I'm doing well, but it doesn't mean I can somehow pull a win out of my ass. It's a team game not a solo show.

oxrock said:
A single person can only do so much. Dead weight is a bitch. Very often I'm the only person on my team who's not feeding and I'm doing well, but it doesn't mean I can somehow pull a win out of my ass. It's a team game not a solo show.

factoring in runes and masteries is also quite important. A single player can in fact carry a team, I've done it with Tryndamere a couple times. We were down 2 inhibitors to their 3 inhib towers and we came back to win it because I solo'd all three towers and inhibitors. This is at level 10ish, so having one character at 30 with all the bonuses can be quite difficult to deal with.

Everyone else was of equal skill level except for the two other players in this situation.

The 30 got a penta-kill.

Just sayin'. After 500+ games won you're going to have a nice amount of IP for Rune purchases.

In general, I can predict the out come of most games as they start due to team composition. If your team doesn't match up well with the other team, it's going to cause problems for the whole match.

dionysus

Yaldog
Playing Shen brings out the worst in the community. I had 3 games in a row where people non-stop flamed me for not using my R to save them. Never mind that they needed saving every 30s and it is a long cooldown or they wanted me to jump into a 4 on 1 gank deep in enemy territory. In all these games I had a positive K/D ratio and in one case was the best player on the team. I almost don't want to play him anymore.

Anyone else have these experiences with Shen?

I also think a high mobility team composition, shen, panth, and tf would be ridiculously good. And you are not sacrificing team composition because you have a tank, melee carry, and ranged carry. You can reverse ganks and backdoor towers.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
dionysus said:
Playing Shen brings out the worst in the community. I had 3 games in a row where people non-stop flamed me for not using my R to save them. Never mind that they needed saving every 30s and it is a long cooldown or they wanted me to jump into a 4 on 1 gank deep in enemy territory. In all these games I had a positive K/D ratio and in one case was the best player on the team. I almost don't want to play him anymore.

I also think a high mobility team composition, shen, panth, and tf would be ridiculously good. And you are not sacrificing team composition because you have a tank, melee carry, and ranged carry. You can reverse ganks and backdoor towers.
You get the same with nearly any character and an idiot who expects you to support them, aka bail them out of something stupid.

I got it last game with a Yi who wanted a heal, which he did get, but some how expects it to be more than some 300hp every few seconds, all the while I have a MF and Kayle between me and him. :lol

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
dionysus said:

People in this game yell just to yell. Especially feeders, how dare you not save their ass somehow when they charge into a 1v5 situation!?!?!?! I get this shit all the time, I'm not sticking my neck out for a player who continuously makes bad decisions. I'm also not dumb enough to try to hold a turret single handedly against the whole team. Unless the other team is completely brain dead it's a no win situation for me and I'd just be adding to their fed status. Anyhow, people who suck and are feeding feel it's in their best interest to yell and complain and carry on and especially lay some blame on your hands because they think that it somehow removes the suck from their gameplay.

dionysus

Yaldog
shintoki said:
You get the same with nearly any character and an idiot who expects you to support them, aka bail them out of something stupid.

I got it last game with a Yi who wanted a heal, which he did get, but some how expects it to be more than some 300hp every few seconds, all the while I have a MF and Kayle between me and him. :lol

Imagine a game where everyone took responsibility for their own death and thanked others if they got their ass saved from a gank. That would be the best game ever. My attempts to revolutionize the DOTA community by being nice and hoping others pay it forward is not going so well.

Edit. Oh I understand the community, but I am just saying it is worse on shen because his ultimate is a get out of jail free card for another player. So these players feel they have even more reason to bitch at you.

Edit2. Ok Shen players, do you save your energy in team battles for multiple taunts? My current playstyle I can only pull off 1 taunt because I am using my q and w and he has a slow regen rate.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I have to say, this legitimately makes me pissed.

Ban the two tanks I own(Where we get the last pick and I ask for him), followed by some wanker taking the support spot.

Fuck you guys. Really :lol You ban my tanks, And you pick fucking Soraka when I have Sona, Janna, and Zilean to choose from. Mother Fuckers.

Where can I see my Elo at anyways?

dionysus said:
Imagine a game where everyone took responsibility for their own death and thanked others if they got their ass saved from a gank. That would be the best game ever. My attempts to revolutionize the DOTA community by being nice and hoping others pay it forward is not going so well.

Edit. Oh I understand the community, but I am just saying it is worse on shen because his ultimate is a get out of jail free card for another player. So these players feel they have even more reason to bitch at you.

Edit2. Ok Shen players, do you save your energy in team battles for multiple taunts? My current playstyle I can only pull off 1 taunt because I am using my q and w and he has a slow regen rate.

I got stuck in a game where a person believed that feeding was a myth. All the person would do is go jungle then get ganked (she was at like 10 deaths 15 or so minutes into the game), and wondered why the rest of the team wasn't advancing forward, and why we surrendered when the entire opposing team was a good 3-4 levels above us, and out geared us immensely.

Her excuse is that a single wave = 1 hero in gold so it's more important to kill minion waves to get money, ignoring the fact that most champions can't clear a wave on their own until level 15+.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So I had two games early. Each one turned out 4 v 5 where the team with 4 won.

2nd game we won, Took about an hour. But we were about 12-14 kills up before our sole melee dps left. So we just had Ram, Kennan, Sona, and Karth. Yeah, pretty easy team to stop and our Ram was pretty stupid. Manage to push it out with a bit of luck, and specifically Me and Karth contorlling the Dragon kills + back dooring.

1st game, we lost. They had a guy leave right at the start and lets put it this way. I went 1/0/0. We had 4 kills. My team did nothing but bitch and suck. The one who didn't feed did nothing but cry the entire game, before intentionally feeding. It was something like 7-10 deaths for each of the other four

PS: To note again, The "Last Person To Choose Has To Be Tank!" mentality is quite possibly the most retarded thing I have encountered yet. You ban Anumu and Ram, you choose some useless shit like Teemo for first pick, and then bitch why I didn't pick a tank.
"Pick Shen"
"I don't own Shen"
"WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU OWN SHEN!"
"Herp Derp Derp"

2nd PS: It sucks because I've played 7 ranked games and had to pick last on my team 6 out of the 7 times. :lol

3rd PS: The quality of player seems to be remarkably lower than normal games. I'm seeing zero wards, shitty turret diving, no jungles, no rare spawn control, no last hitting, and stupid fuck after stupid fuck.

sohois

shintoki said:
PS: To note again, The "Last Person To Choose Has To Be Tank!" mentality is quite possibly the most retarded thing I have encountered yet. You ban Anumu and Ram, you choose some useless shit like Teemo for first pick, and then bitch why I didn't pick a tank.
"Pick Shen"
"I don't own Shen"
"WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU OWN SHEN!"
"Herp Derp Derp"

2nd PS: It sucks because I've played 7 ranked games and had to pick last on my team 6 out of the 7 times. :lol

3rd PS: The quality of player seems to be remarkably lower than normal games. I'm seeing zero wards, shitty turret diving, no jungles, no rare spawn control, no last hitting, and stupid fuck after stupid fuck.

Even if the 2 tanks you own were banned, there should always be free tank champs available for you to pick, and seeing as tanks generally have pretty simple item builds i.e just buy loads of armour and mr, I don't see why any experienced players shouldn't be able to just play a Cho'gath or a Singed for one game. This is why I wish there was an option to always be the last pick in ranked since i'd always use it, i don't really have a main champ that i have to play, i'm much happier playing a wide variety of champs because i get bored playing the same one over & over.

Also, if you've only played 7 ranked games i'm guessing you're gonna be pretty low elo atm, whereas you might have a really good rating in normal so you'd be playing with much better players in normal.

FlightofHeaven said:
Play normal? People are pretty chill on normal.

Does Tiamat stack? I'm starting to think it doesn't.

If the item description says UNIQUE Passive, then it doesn't stack, non-unique passives stack.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
sohois said:
Even if the 2 tanks you own were banned, there should always be free tank champs available for you to pick, and seeing as tanks generally have pretty simple item builds i.e just buy loads of armour and mr, I don't see why any experienced players shouldn't be able to just play a Cho'gath or a Singed for one game. This is why I wish there was an option to always be the last pick in ranked since i'd always use it, i don't really have a main champ that i have to play, i'm much happier playing a wide variety of champs because i get bored playing the same one over & over.
Blitz was banned also and the other team got Sion(Or Mundo, which ever one was free). The closest tank left was Morgana. :lol For some reason the leader expected me to have Shen. When I mentioned you banned the two I own already. It was getting yelled at for not having Shen drove me insane.

I'll be completely fair too. The second I get yelled at for picking a tank, even before I pick. Solely because I'm last to pick and everyone else got to pick who they want to play. My desire to play one hits zero and that intuition about how the game is going be disastrous either way flares up in my mind.

sohois said:
If the item description says UNIQUE Passive, then it doesn't stack, non-unique passives stack.

I am aware, but Tiamat does not have a UNIQUE Passive. However, when I checked the AoE damage, it was still around 35% of what it was supposed to be (85/240) when it was supposed to be 65% (170/240).

I checked by looking at damage done to minions.

I mean, if it doesn't stack, well... great! I just free'd up another slot! I just loved stacking splash, or thinking I'd stacked splash... Tiamat was just a great all-around item for Tristana.

" mean, if it doesn't stack, well... great! I just free'd up another slot! I just loved stacking splash, or thinking I'd stacked splash... Tiamat was just a great all-around item for Tristana."

Please don't get Tiamat on Tristana.

Teknopathetic said:
" mean, if it doesn't stack, well... great! I just free'd up another slot! I just loved stacking splash, or thinking I'd stacked splash... Tiamat was just a great all-around item for Tristana."

Please don't get Tiamat on Tristana.

It's been working on me so far. It gives her early game regen, which she needs, and damage, which she needs. The passive syncs nicely with her Explosive Shot, and helps me farm a lot faster. It also helps deter tower diving, since it removes their minion cover/decoys. The damage it gives is decent, too.

I don't see why not. I usually get Tiamat, Berserker Boots, Starks Fervor, Frozen Mallet, and Infinity Edge.

I used to get a second Tiamat for even faster clearing and hilarious teamfights, but since it doesn't stack...

I am open to suggestions. I'm very new to this game compared to all of you, with 500+ games won and the like.

Edit: And I did look up guides, to boot, but I've been adjusting it as I play.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
lolurgot3.jpg

Okay, I think I'mma take a break from Urgot. Umm, anyone have any hero ideas?

I was stuck in "elo hell" (unranked 1000ish?, I only play solo ranked) for months and just finally worked my way up to the early 1400's recently by sticking with either Singed or jungle Udyr, instead of playing more risky/dps/squishie champs. The funny or sad thing is that the communication, or total lack thereof, flexibility (ppl that can/want to only play 1 or 2 champs) individual skill & teamplay isn't that far off from when I was in elo hell.

BTW something I noticed over the last weeks; nearly every Eve that I see dominates the game and makes jungling near impossible. Yes, even when ppl buy wards/oracle. I haven't seen her pwn this hard before. She seems like the number 1 pubstomper atm.

Diglet

Neo Member
I finally hit level 30 and decided to try out ranked. I have been doing very well except for when I get last pick. Im 4-2 (3-0 with zil, and 0-2 with tanks) The first game i played, we had no jungler and not tank and i was last pick. The leader banned my two tanks, shen and amu and i had to play the free sion. I went like 2-5-4 or something with a teemo that would go invisi in bushes and leech exp. The rest of my games have been pretty enjoyable though :)

Edit: just played another ranked game as zil. we owned. 4-0 as zil :)

Diglet said:
I finally hit level 30 and decided to try out ranked. I have been doing very well except for when I get last pick. Im 4-2 (3-0 with zil, and 0-2 with tanks) The first game i played, we had no jungler and not tank and i was last pick. The leader banned my two tanks, shen and amu and i had to play the free sion. I went like 2-5-4 or something with a teemo that would go invisi in bushes and leech exp. The rest of my games have been pretty enjoyable though :)

Edit: just played another ranked game as zil. we owned. 4-0 as zil :)

I quite like sion as a tank, just load up on crit gear. I usually go avarice to either zeal or emblem of valour, then the tiamat and boots, then the infinity edge. If you farm enough with engrage up your health can skyrocket.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Herbspicesoy said:
I was stuck in "elo hell" (unranked 1000ish?, I only play solo ranked) for months and just finally worked my way up to the early 1400's recently by sticking with either Singed or jungle Udyr, instead of playing more risky/dps/squishie champs. The funny or sad thing is that the communication, or total lack thereof, flexibility (ppl that can/want to only play 1 or 2 champs) individual skill & teamplay isn't that far off from when I was in elo hell.

BTW something I noticed over the last weeks; nearly every Eve that I see dominates the game and makes jungling near impossible. Yes, even when ppl buy wards/oracle. I haven't seen her pwn this hard before. She seems like the number 1 pubstomper atm.
Eve and Twitch both have always been that. They punish noobs with shitty for map awareness or people who can not adjust their strategies. You know what is a free kill? That idiotic WW or Udyr who has to start with Blue Golem. Better yet is when their skills are smite and flash, had one steal 3 dragons from the other team in a game. :lol

I just had an incredibly epic game.

At one point we were down something like 2-14, and the score ended up being 49-63, their favor.

We won, with two people bitching the entire time.

I'm adjusting my Tristana build, which now looks like this:

Tiamat
Berserker Boots
Phage + Zeal + Sheen -> Trinity Force
Zeal + Crit Cloak + 15% AS Sword -> Phantom Dancer
Sheen -> Lich Bane
Giant's Belt -> Frozen Mallet

Is it the best build? No. I get Mallet for health and the hahaha factor, but up to that point this has worked really, really well. Tiamat was godlike when they flooded our base with minions at one point, clearing out waves of them along with explosive shot. The game took 70 minutes, it was bananas.

If it had gone on long enough, I would have sold Tiamat for Infinity Edge.

I got such a rush playing this game. I'm afraid I'm seriously getting some sort of high when I play, it's really intense. My heart was pounding as we fought to turn the tide to our favor.

I also experimented with a new build for Shen. In order:

Force of Nature
25% Magic Resistance boots
Thorn Mail
Guardian Angel
Sunfire Cloak
Randuin's Shield

I eschewed getting warmog, and it worked great. I got early regen and excellent durability, along with a decent movespeed.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
dionysus said:

I've been lucky I guess

but yeah I've had people on occasion insult my map awareness for not ulting them out of something stupid.

I've been trying to get in this mindset of just saving my energy for taunts and letting carries get kills in team fights

but instincts just scream at you to toss a q in there and take that shit :lol

sohois

FlightOfHeaven said:
I just had an incredibly epic game.

At one point we were down something like 2-14, and the score ended up being 49-63, their favor.

We won, with two people bitching the entire time.

I'm adjusting my Tristana build, which now looks like this:

Tiamat
Berserker Boots
Phage + Zeal + Sheen -> Trinity Force
Zeal + Crit Cloak + 15% AS Sword -> Phantom Dancer
Sheen -> Lich Bane
Giant's Belt -> Frozen Mallet

Is it the best build? No. I get Mallet for health and the hahaha factor, but up to that point this has worked really, really well. Tiamat was godlike when they flooded our base with minions at one point, clearing out waves of them along with explosive shot. The game took 70 minutes, it was bananas.

If it had gone on long enough, I would have sold Tiamat for Infinity Edge.

I dont play Trist so i can only offer a few general tips but here goes:

-First of all, stop buying Berzerker Greaves, its not a very good item, buy merc treads instead (ninja tabi is okay if the other team is dps heavy. Think of it this way, there is a whole page of items dedicated to attack speed and pretty much zero items for CC reduction or dodge.
In addition, specifically for Trist, i'd say you only need to buy one attack speed for her, like Phanton Dancer or Starks Fervor. With her Q, one of those items & masteries/runes, you're going to be pretty damn close to the 2.5 cap anyway, and any additional attack speed is going to be wasted on her. Personally i wouldn't bother with any aspd, id just rely on her Q and go pure damage.

- Secondly, i don't think Trinity Force & Lich Bane's passive stack; you should only get one or the other, probably Trinity Force, though i wouldn't recommend Sheen on Tristana anyway since she's unlikely to be activating enough abilites for it to be effective.

- Thirdly as has been mentioned, you really don't need Tiamat on Tristana. Tristana already has a good aoe farm ability, one of the best in the game and thus has absolutely no need for additional farming power save in a few rare situations. For similar money you could buy items like B.F. Sword, Last Whisper, Guinsoo's Rageblade or Manamune all of which would give you significantly higher potential damage. The health and mana regen are pointless on Trist - she has no need to spam abilities & is difficult to harass.

Steaks

Zerker Greaves are fine, but you need to actually be A) Good and not get hit by a large amount of CC (rocking Cleanse, means you can generally run with Greaves on Trist) and B) Know when Greaves aren't a good call.

If you are bad at the game, just always buy Merc Treads until you can look at a team and go "man, Greaves wouldn't be a bad idea here".

Thanks for the tips, fellas.

I'm still learning the game, and I'm not very good thus far but I'm not afraid to experiment, even if it is a bit ridiculous.

I dunno about swapping out Greaves (although I will consider it) but I know I'm not using Lich Bane or Frozen Mallet in the long run. Dropping Starks was surprisingly effective, though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
FlightOfHeaven said:
That's because Q could take Singed and go 30/0/20.
Singed is probably one of the best heroes in the game(Currently). Very tank, quick, and like anumu has that auto AE which eats people slowly.

Best thing about him(Again similar to other characters like Mundo or Olaf), they can break through the tank lane and chase the squishy dps who can't really lock him down or kill him fast enough.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FlightOfHeaven said:
That's because Q could take Singed and go 30/0/20.

LOL Shouldn't be to hard he's stupidly strong when used right. None of the heroes are bad for the most part besides maybe saroka :lol It really depends on the team formations too, the main reason I get those scrores with urgot is cause of blitz and rammus the synergy of the three is pretty damn good. Just toss in two more extra dps or what ever and we normally face roll teams, Unless there is an olaf.... I swear olaf = counter urgot :lol

But I mean look at Eve for example everyone said she's always sucked, yet they didn't even really change her at all yet now she is "annoying, semi-broken, banned in ranked" Never listen to the masses til you experience stuff yourself, do homework on stuff and so on. Remember the groups most vocal are not always the ones that are correct. *This goes both ways I may argue shit all the time doesn't mean I'm going to be right in the end.*

and I kinda wish people would stop overplaying how good I am at stuff, I'm average at best :lol

Edit: Decided to try out Trundle today, pretty damn fun champion :lol

trundlelol.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
dionysus said:
But how do you go 30-4 without winning the game first? Were you just toying with the other team?

They respawn fast? the game was over in 40 min, lots of team fights but I normally only kill 1 or 2 of them and the rest get away cause well... didn't say the two extra dps were good :lol

I had a game where an opposing Twisted Fate went 33/18/21. We won, 49 - 63 their favor.

He'd constantly catch our Gangplank alone, or would instant focus me (Tristana) in team fights. The rest of the team would manage to push back and deny the rest of their team kills. Towards the latter half of the game we'd walk away from team fights with 2 dead and they'd have 2 or three dead. The rest of our team would then quickly focus a tower.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
dionysus said:
But how do you go 30-4 without winning the game first? Were you just toying with the other team?
Easy, once the game gets pass a certain amount of time. One team loss means you loss. After about 30 minutes, backdooring becomes a massive potential cause to defend. Characters like Udyr in that game can do it exceptionally well. Or the exact opposite. Games were one person carries the team, means once he out of the picture. It's easy to face roll the rest. It's a crutch.

52club

shintoki said:
Easy, once the game gets pass a certain amount of time. One team loss means you loss. After about 30 minutes, backdooring becomes a massive potential cause to defend. Characters like Udyr in that game can do it exceptionally well. Or the exact opposite. Games were one person carries the team, means once he out of the picture. It's easy to face roll the rest. It's a crutch.

Very good point, just like in sports if you don't get your teamates involved early they might not be there late in the game. It is interesting how the same principals that apply to sports start applying to competitive gaming. I know I've noticed the only thing more annoying that someone who doesn't know how to take a loss is someone who doesn't know how to win while displaying good sportsmanship and practicing good strategy even if the win looks like it is in hand.

I've been getting better with Tristana, earning myself some positive kill/death ratios recently.

And then a Tristana with an AP build comes along and wreaks my shit. wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom