• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I haven't caught up with Monogatari in a long time

plus Saitama is a bro and the derp face was too funny

at least u didnt use the leblanc one

7b213f1d00388d616ec5d6f8b277c0da.png

Hope they dont change vel and malz too much :(

both vel and malz need a lot of work, malz specially

jerd

After seeing illaoi a few times she seems pretty bad. She's gonna be really hard to balance I think. Her ratios are already really high but raw damage output just isn't enough for her to get by imo. Maybe with the perfect comp she could do pretty good

Her visuals are great though

at least u didnt use the leblanc one

both vel and malz need a lot of work, malz specially
Vel is one of the most balanced champs they have released. Nothing too overpowered or underpowered about him.
imo, malz only problem is QSS more than anything. Riot buffing it didnt help any. His ult stunning him isnt too much of a problem in a 1v1 situation. In teamfights you get picks or pick when to ult at the right time.
Mobility creep screws them both.

Overwolf?
some program that basically gives lol instant replays. Right after making a play or if he dies. He can instantly replay it back and explain what he was thinking, his mistakes, etc.

zkylon

zkylewd
Malz is one of the most unfun person to lane against once he gets 6. Atleast fizz you can kinda of counter play.
he's always annoying, foreverpusher champions like malzahar that have uninteractive laning are never fun to play

fizz is another kind of annoying i guess

LOLgaf is getting lewd.

ikr u guys are freaks

Vel is one of the most balanced champs they have released.
imo, malz only problem is QSS.
velkoz has kind of the problem of being just another mage with wonky skillshots. i like playing him, but he doesn't feel truly unique like someone like orianna or leblanc or anivia does

malz is absolute garbage and should be started from scratch

garath

Vel is one of the most balanced champs they have released.
imo, malz only problem is QSS.

some program that basically gives lol instant replays. Right after making a play or if he dies. He can instantly replay it back and explain what he was thinking, his mistakes, etc.

Ahh nice. I don't get to watch him very much anymore with the new job. Must have just gotten it though.

If I see a Vel'Koz support there's like a 90% chance I'm gonna troll.

Don't understand what you sayin.
You think sup koz sux so you trolling with the vel with another troll pick
You think sup koz is good so you trolling since you figure ur bot lane already lost(due to going against sup vel).

Ahh nice. I don't get to watch him very much anymore with the new job. Must have just gotten it though.

yea I think so, I just tuned in today and his chat was flooded with "what replay software is that!!!"

zkylon

zkylewd
Vel has some of the smoothest skillshot animations and feels unique to me.
but he really isn't. what's unique about velkoz? disregarding strength (since velkoz is pretty op) what does he excel at that other champions don't? like compare him to xerath or ziggs and all three of them do similar style of poke, and compared to lux they both do similar combo oneshotting.

that all those champiosn are so similar is a problem, but at least champions like ziggs or lux have their own subniches as in lux has a lot of utility and burst but lower consistent dmg, while ziggs has a shit ton of waveclear and stall potential.

velkoz doesn't have any of that, he has average poke, average waveclear, average aoe, average single target burst, if his numbers weren't so crazy he'd be trash tier because nothing about him is special, really

thing about velkoz is that his tuning is really awkward cos it's compensaating that you'll miss 75% of his skillshots or something. like his ult deals like 900 base dmg not counting his passive or something insane like that?

and yeah his animations are really satisfying, specially his auto and w being castable while moving and the sfx on his spells are great, but his kit is just kind of rough

Uhm, no. He is pretty decent tbh.
define decent

if decent is op but allowed to be op because no one plays him then sure

if decent is good champion design then no he's one of the worst

Richard Lewis assaulted a dota2 player backstage at dream hack. This is why dota2 sucks
this is what getting banned from reddit does to you

oh wait he was an asshole before too

but he really isn't. what's unique about velkoz? disregarding strength (since velkoz is pretty op) what does he excel at that other champions don't? like compare him to xerath or ziggs and all three of them do similar style of poke, and compared to lux they both do similar combo oneshotting.

that all those champiosn are so similar is a problem, but at least champions like ziggs or lux have their own subniches as in lux has a lot of utility and burst but lower consistent dmg, while ziggs has a shit ton of waveclear and stall potential.

velkoz doesn't have any of that, he has average poke, average waveclear, average aoe, average single target burst, if his numbers weren't so crazy he'd be trash tier because nothing about him is special, really

thing about velkoz is that his tuning is really awkward cos it's compensaating that you'll miss 75% of his skillshots or something. like his ult deals like 900 base dmg not counting his passive or something insane like that?

and yeah his animations are really satisfying, specially his auto and w being castable while moving and the sfx on his spells are great, but his kit is just kind of rough
Yeah velkoz is a weird champ he doesn't have any real defining things except his ult and his how his skill shots work. Past that he doesn't have anything that great.
define decent

Yeah malz is in a very weird spot he has so my wave clear and pushing power. Then with a point and clear suppression where you can almost always 100 to 0 your lanning with one damage item. It is hard to counter play that.

Nekofrog

Banned
his damage is good in mid game

his pick potential is great early game cause people are stupid

but who wants to root himself for a channel late game, nobody. it's fine to do it early.

Passive is special and makes his kit unique. The q mindgames. Waveclear is on par or better than most mages. 2 ws clear the whole wave with a little bit of ap. You can say Vel is a jack of all trades I guess, if you must name which one he is. Why must he excel at one thing? Has utility/damage/waveclear and plays well with most teamcomps. Without any numbers, just looking at the kit, the passive alone makes him unique to play with just as lux or ziggs. Especially Ziggs, he is basically q spam/farm lane. Anivia can be described as "waveclear stall potential" just like ziggs.

define decent

He is a decently designed champ. Immobile 1v1 mage. Decent teamfight. His ult can also screw him if he doesnt time it right. Can melt tanks if the fight doesnt get too mobile.

the problem with malz is that hes late game while everything good is early game

^^ This. he is far from trash tier. You(zkylon) said he was trash tier then in your next post call him op.

but who wants to root himself for a channel late game, nobody. it's fine to do it early.

Gets even worse when they get QSS.

zkylon

zkylewd
everything is a problem about malz

he's a terrible champion lol

Yeah velkoz is a weird champ he doesn't have any real defining things except his ult and his how his skill shots work. Past that he doesn't have anything that great.
plus his ult is nothing amazing either. like in which comp is his ult #1? is it pick or poke or wombo?

he's just weird

Yeah malz is in a very weird spot he has so my wave clear and pushing power. Then with a point and clear suppression where you can almost always 100 to 0 your lanning with one damage item. It is hard to counter play that.
it's also very much not fun to just farm under turret and get poked out because of a semi random thing that has an invisible range that deals like a third of ur life without him even being there

like, he's not hard to play against, he's just annoying

Passive is special and makes his kit unique.
except neither malzahar or his opponents meangfully interact with the thing

The q mindgames.
he has a skillshot, that's not mindgames

Waveclear is on par or better than most mages. 2 ws clear the whole wave with a little bit of ap.
without him even being there. that's terrible design and it's the same problem heimer and morg have. pressing a button and auto push is not good

You can say Vel is a jack of all trades I guess, if you must name which one he is. Why must he excel at one thing? Has utility/damage/waveclear and plays well with most teamcomps.
exceling at something is important because it makes champions stand out from each other. they have strengths and weaknesses and that makes them unique and good in some situations and bad in others.

being decent at everything is problematic and really difficult to balance (hence velkoz crazy numbers)

Without any numbers, just looking at the kit, the passive alone makes him unique to play with just as lux or ziggs. Especially Ziggs, he is basically q spam/farm lane. Anivia can be described as "waveclear stall potential" just like ziggs.
there's other stuff for instance zigg's zone control versus anivia's incredible scaling and consistent dmg/cc, but yeah, there's a lot of overlap in mages. anivia does have a lot of unique stuff with how all her spells work. ziggs also has some pretty unique spells. xerath on the other hand has his ult and then boring spell after boring spell

but sure there are other champions that have the same problem, doesn't mean velkoz doesn't have it

He is a decently designed champ. Immobile 1v1 mage. Decent teamfight. His ult can also screw him if he doesnt time it right. Can melt tanks if the fight doesnt get too mobile.
yea ok then ur opinion is wrong, sorry

champions that don't interact in lane are not well designed and so much about him is dumb. he's a damage over time, barely interactive champion with a ton of point and click damage, crazy waveclear from really early on and barely any interesting or fun spells to play against.

^^ This. he is far from trash tier. You(zkylon) said he was trash tier then in your next post call him op.
he's trash design and he's a trash champion. he's really op in solo q tho

Gets even worse when they get QSS.
yet another issue with the champion design when he can be countered so heavily by a single item

also supression is dumb in league cos it cant be cleansed or mikael'd

champions like malzahar have their kits really warped because of these rules

plus his ult is nothing amazing either. like in which comp is his ult #1? is it pick or poke or wombo?

It's all 3.
You can use it for escaping enemies with low hp.
It has a decent enuff range where you can get very far from the fight and still use it.
Compliments your combo nicely. with one full rotation you can get around 3 stacks of your passive off.

like, he's not hard to play against, he's just annoying
I can agree with you on that.

zkylon

zkylewd
a champion needs an identity to be balanced around

look at azir, that kit is awesome but his identity was really poorly set in that he was like a pokey engager pusher defender kiter peeler monster that did everything and still kinda does, only now his numbers have been hit a lot

not the same case as velkoz but velkoz also needs something to be his thing so he can be the very best at that and he can be tuned around it

he doesn't have his thing like lux (utility sniper assassin) or syndra (bulliest of lane bullies) or leblanc (teh jukes) or anivia (teamfight zone control) or cassiopeia (machinegun ap adc)

i predict the mage reworks will be a lot about this identity thing

I can agree with you on that.
Yeah the thing is you don't really want champs like that. Champs like malz and yorick aren't fun, when you lane against them it is basically just time to play super safe and not do that much. You could try to snowball other lanes but then you might lose your tower early.

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel like velkoz's knowledge through destruction lore thing kind of sets him up to have some sort of buff acquired on kills

like similar to cassi, he gets something every x cs and champions count as 10 cs or whatever

Kenai

Thia this this.

His ult is incredibly stupid OP right up until QSS/Crucible/teamfighting cc/peel comes into play and then it's borderline worthless.That type of ult is simply poor design and could stand to get a revamp.

Oh and Velkoz niche is poking/turreting. Everything he does is poke, from multiple angles and ranges even, and with his passive dmg his poke is designed to always equal dmg if he consistently lands said poke.

He's never been a super high priority pick because that lack of mobility in his kit came at about the time mobility creep was a thing, and other mages can poke pretty good too (and have better peel or cc or whatever). No escapes means he's begging to get ganked too.

i feel like velkoz's knowledge through destruction lore thing kind of sets him up to have some sort of buff acquired on kills

like similar to cassi, he gets something every x cs and champions count as 10 cs or whatever

Before it came about I thought a passive similar to the Mastery that increases dmg for each unique champion kill would have made sense. It'd have to be implemented different obv but that was my musing. Probably not going to be a thing now of course.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thia this this.

His ult is incredibly stupid OP right up until QSS/Crucible/teamfighting cc/peel comes into play and then it's borderline worthless.That type of ult is simply poor design and could stand to get a revamp.
mikaels doesnt cleanse suppress doe

Oh and Velkoz niche is poking/turreting. Everything he does is poke, from multiple angles and ranges even, and with his passive dmg his poke is designed to always equal dmg if he consistently lands said poke.
but he can 100-0 u if he lands his e tho unlike xerath/ziggs who are more poke oriented

he's just weird

He's never been a super high priority pick because that lack of mobility in his kit came at about the time mobility creep was a thing, and other mages can poke pretty good too (and have better peel or cc or whatever). No escapes means he's begging to get ganked too.
he just doesn't do anything special compared to anyone else

lulu and ori have better utility, azir is better poke, viktor is better aoe, etc.

Before it came about I thought a passive similar to the Mastery that increases dmg for each unique champion kill would have made sense. It'd have to be implemented different obv but that was my musing. Probably not going to be a thing now of course.
i dunno, i don't think it's a bad direction for him, although that niche is already occupied by other champions like kindred and cassi

I'm sorry giant death laser isn't interesting to you!?
It's a cool idea but it suffers from old Bullet Time syndrome, the theme/visuals and the damage don't really add up, you have this cool "I AM DEATH" looking spell that doesn't kill everything on sight.

IMO Velkoz would fare better without that boring passive and adding back damage to the rest of his kit so he can actually scale properly. Not every mage need to have combos to function.

Trending Reddit thread has it that TSM accidentally leaked the signing of Yellowstar by offering his shirt for sale on their website (since taken down, but screenshotted). Fnatic have dropped the price of Yellowstar's t-shirt to the same as Reignover's and Huni's. Looks like this might be happening.

If it is, Regi has decided to use some of TSM's warchest to assemble the "best of the west" bot lane. I'm not the biggest fan of Svenskeren, but I'm bullish on Hauntzer and if any roster has the raw laning power to work with Svenskeren's aggression and mechanical ability it'd be this one. And Regi would've pulled off arguably the two biggest LoL roster moves in non-China history within weeks of each other.

Trending Reddit thread has it that TSM accidentally leaked the signing of Yellowstar by offering his shirt for sale on their website (since taken down, but screenshotted). Fnatic have dropped the price of Yellowstar's t-shirt to the same as Reignover's and Huni's. Looks like this might be happening.

If it is, Regi has decided to use some of TSM's warchest to assemble the "best of the west" bot lane. I'm not the biggest fan of Svenskeren, but I'm bullish on Hauntzer and if any roster has the raw laning power to work with Svenskeren's aggression and mechanical ability it'd be this one. And Regi would've pulled off arguably the two biggest LoL roster moves in non-China history within weeks of each other.
Mommy make the off season stop

@Zy the comments about the q mindgames, waveclear and the whole first part of the post was about Velkoz and what makes him unique to play. You misunderstood and thought I was talking about malz waveclear/q. I wasnt. You questioned what made him unique, I think I gave good answers.

Ok, we can agree to disagree on Malz. What makes ur opinion fact but mine wrong?

but he can 100-0 u if he lands his e tho unlike xerath/ziggs who are more poke oriented

he's just weird

lulu and ori have better utility, azir is better poke, viktor is better aoe, etc.

His identity is getting his procs, a bit of utility and dealing with tanks a little bit better than other mages due to the true damage. Viktor having better aoe is debatable.

The only interesting part of Velkoz's kit is the Q. Everything else is so underwhelming on top of his scaling being weird as fuck.

His scaling is weird due to his passive being true damage. Which is why pen is more important/valuable on him than other mages.

It's a cool idea but it suffers from old Bullet Time syndrome, the theme/visuals and the damage don't really add up, you have this cool "I AM DEATH" looking spell that doesn't kill everything on sight.

IMO Velkoz would fare better without that boring passive and adding back damage to the rest of his kit so he can actually scale properly. Not every mage need to have combos to function.
If you land everything, it does kill everything in sight. Yes it may look weak if your trying to 100-0 someone using just your ult, which isnt the purpose. The passive is what makes his playstyle so unique.

kenbo

This is ridiculous

Wtf TSM. Destroying 3 different teams just to ultimately field a decent one because let's face it there's going to be a clash of personalities and shitty work ethic since NA have shown time and time again that they don't take anything seriously, especially not backbone infrastructure. Why would locodoco be a coach for so long otherwise. Any other competent scene would've exposed his average theory crafting and average morale control

Yeah I'm salty

Oh and rip eu and rip KR and China was already dead so I guess season 6 is na's year

Worst preseason ever

23qwerty

This is ridiculous

Wtf TSM. Destroying 3 different teams just to ultimately field a decent one because let's face it there's going to be a clash of personalities and shitty work ethic since NA have shown time and time again that they don't take anything seriously, especially not backbone infrastructure. Why would locodoco be a coach for so long otherwise. Any other competent scene would've exposed his average theory crafting and average morale control

Yeah I'm salty

Oh and rip eu and rip KR and China was already dead so I guess season 6 is na's year

Worst preseason ever
I love when this thread gets salty as fuck

If you land everything, it does kill everything in sight. Yes it may look weak if your trying to 100-0 someone using just your ult, which isnt the purpose. The passive is what makes his playstyle so unique.
That's my point though, that's boring as fuck. His ult should be this big moment of AoE damage, not just one part of his awkward not-sure-if-close-or-long-range combo.

There's nothing unique about a passive that gives you more damage if you land your abilities. Compare it to Brand that gets different effects depending on how you string his stuff, if you completely remove Velkoz's passive nothing about his gameplan would change, it's just bonus damage for doing what you're already supposed to be doing which is hitting spells nonstop.

Kenai

mikaels doesnt cleanse suppress doe

Woops, I was thinking of cleanse not crucible.

he's just weird

Yup, his poke is good enough to actually burst down a squishy with. There's a ton of overlap but Ziggs is more AoE focused and Xerath is more turret focused. Both have better CC than him and are more relevant at longer range, but can't do that true dmg from poke combos or poke from weird angles like he can.

I'm not saying there's very many situations where this actually matters tho, don't get me wrong. While more differentiated than pre-update ADCs were, there's still a lot of overlap they could work on.

His main relevance is that passive dmg, can't think of many true dmg mages like him (are there any others?)

He could definitely use something that feels more unique outside of a passive considering his niche is a more generalized mage niche though.

Malzahar
Null Zone (W) damage lowered to 4/4.5/5/5.5/6% of max health per second from 4/5/6/7/8%
I dunno what's the point of nerfing that instead of space aids but ok
[New] Assassin
Strings added for a new mastery but it hasn't been added to the tree yet.
EFFECT: "Deal 1.5% increased damage when no allied champions are nearby"
That sounds scary for solo lanes
"Homestart - This unit has greatly increased Movement Speed. Teleporting removes this speed."
Get fucked, Hecarim

Leezard

I dunno what's the point of nerfing that instead of space aids but ok

That sounds scary for solo lanes

Get fucked, Hecarim

Maybe it will be picked together with this.
[New] Murderous Intent
Strings added for a new mastery but it hasn't been added to the tree yet.
EFFECT: "Deal 5% increased damage to champions until you gain a kill or assist"

Sounds scary for snowballing champs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom