• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Talents

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

I knew we would lose as early as champ select with riven bug or not.

Goddamn that front line.

I felt the effects but it wasn't as impactful as I thought it would be. Maybe because I'm not that skilled in her animation cancel and the fact that fighting head to head with a trundle isn't exactly a great idea.

black cleaver essence reaver wtf

zkylon

zkylewd
So I don't see anyone posted this yet but

holy shit we're finally getting replays.

Quick edit:
The Tl;dr bullet points from the article itself

Second edit:

For people at work, it's coming in preseason with the new client beta.
thanks for the writeup

this is pretty crazy, in a years time they've gone from "we're never gonna do it" to "it's already solved!"

i wonder if they did additional hires for this, really impressive

cool

Also Pwyff's thoughts on Dynamic Queue echo mine completely.

Unfortunately perception can become reality if enough people will it to do so, even if it's not true.

Hope both queues can live.
i still don't get why it can't just be one queue like in doto and everyone's happy

solo q players still get to call dyn q boosted animals and dny q players get to keep good q times

also everyone gets to have good q times

i don't think rito has provided good reason why two queues are necessary

aka you fuckers wanted it, you got it, go suck on it
yeah lol

Leezard

i still don't get why it can't just be one queue like in doto and everyone's happy

solo q players still get to call dyn q boosted animals and dny q players get to keep good q times

Now you're never getting to face 3/4/5 player premades in solo queue, which was one of the big arguments against DQ. Shared matchmaking would keep that.

If both queues survive then that's fine, but there's certainly a risk that FQ is getting a low population.

Because the point is people that dislike dynamic Q don't want to play with or against premades. It's not like Dota doesn't make concessions either, you can't queue up as a 4 man group.

drawkcaB

The buff to Nunu's ultimate is disgusting.

Because the point is people that dislike dynamic Q don't want to play with or against premades. It's not like Dota doesn't make concessions either, you can't queue up as a 4 man group.

Rather they'd have just copied this.

Honestly they should've solved it by changing how much MMR you gain/lose when playing with a premade in the game and you're solo queue.

IE If you're solo queue, you'll earn more MMR playing with or against a group of 3+ compared to MMR earned by a group of 3+.Yes, even if that group of 3+ carries you, not every game your'e in will have 3+ people who carry. And even if you lose with a team of 3+ on your side, you lose less MMR because they could be trolling or fucking around.

Since you are not 'stealing' points from other people, it affects just your own standing. And since every game you play won't always have a group of 3+, it'll flatten out over time.

And lastly, if you're in a group of 3+, you earn less/lose more in this scenario.

And through that fix, Rito wouldn't have to separate the queues. Because that's stupid as fuck. Because when they already have to enable autofill during the middle of the day, further dividing the Ranked community isn't going to solve issues of population, which is a real problem.

It's probably just because I'm not used to it yet, but lord above brushlord makes Ivern a monster in teamfights just for his ability to make people untargetable.

Also where the got damn heck are the star guardian skins

zkylon

zkylewd
imo the best scenario is:
- one queue
- separate rankings
- no 4 man premades (i think this is dumb but whatevs, babies)

and honestly i feel pretty bummed that they removed ranked 5s altogether

naming ur team and having team stats and a separate ladder for teams was awesome and now that's just fed into ur regular flex ranking. ranked 5s is the ultimate league of legends, you should be able to make ur team logo and have it appear on your base and maybe have ur own taunt thing like at worlds, etc.

i understand there not being enough of a playerbase but i bet splitting queues doesn't help

Honestly they should've solved it by changing how much MMR you gain/lose when playing with a premade in the game and you're solo queue.

IE If you're solo queue, you'll earn more MMR playing with or against a group of 3+ compared to MMR earned by a group of 3+.Yes, even if that group of 3+ carries you, not every game your'e in will have 3+ people who carry. And even if you lose with a team of 3+ on your side, you lose less MMR because they could be trolling or fucking around.

Since you are not 'stealing' points from other people, it affects just your own standing. And since every game you play won't always have a group of 3+, it'll flatten out over time.

And lastly, if you're in a group of 3+, you earn less/lose more in this scenario.

And through that fix, Rito wouldn't have to separate the queues. Because that's stupid as fuck. Because when they already have to enable autofill during the middle of the day, further dividing the Ranked community isn't going to solve issues of population, which is a real problem.
Lemme preface by saying that besides a couple bad experiences with premades I'm completely indifferent to dynamic Q. But it's not really an MMR issue, Riot fixed matchmaking a long time ago, people don't get matched with premades nearly as much as they think they do, It's the fact that group premades exist in what was supposed to be a solo/duo affair that rubs people the wrong way because what made one succeed in solo Q - and in turn what made it competitive - isn't what makes a group work.

I dunno how I feel about separating the queues now and will likely just kill Dynamic Q anyways but truth be told Riot shouldn't have touched solo ranked in the first place.

drawkcaB

- no 4 man premades (i think this is dumb but whatevs, babies)

It's because the 4-man group requires a solo player and would put undesired pressure on matchmaking.

The priority for matchmaking solos should be with other solos, then with duos, then with 3-mans. 4-man queues absolutely requiring the solo will either A.) fuck over the solo because the priority needs to be changed otherwise 4-man queue times are too long or B.) fuck over the 4-man because the priority for assigning solos to them is at the bottom. There's no good solution, so you cut the Gordian Knot and just not allow the 4-man.

Solos, duos, and 3-mans have way more options between them to create a teams of 5.

zkylon

zkylewd
Lemme preface by saying that besides a couple bad experiences with premades I'm completely indifferent to dynamic Q. But it's not really an MMR issue, Riot fixed matchmaking a long time ago, people don't get matched with premades nearly as much as they think they do, It's the fact that group premades exist in what was supposed to be a solo/duo affair that rubs people the wrong way because what made one succeed in solo Q - and in turn what made it competitive - isn't what makes a group work.

I dunno how I feel about separating the queues now and will likely just kill Dynamic Q anyways but truth be told Riot shouldn't have touched solo ranked in the first place.

idk i think there was a legit reason to change things since i don't think i've ever heard anyone say "solo q feels fun and competitive and rewarding" like ever and it's only when change happened that ppl started talking about amazingly compelling they found old solo q to be

it's valid to say ppl didn't really value what they had before, but i personally think solo q is pretty trash as an environment and is not representative of what great competitive league of legends is

idk i think there was a legit reason to change things since i don't think i've ever heard anyone say "solo q feels fun and competitive and rewarding" like ever and it's only when change happened that ppl started talking about amazingly compelling they found old solo q to be

it's valid to say ppl didn't really value what they had before, but i personally think solo q is pretty trash as an environment and is not representative of what great competitive league of legends is
That's kind of a silly argument, why would solo Q players need to validate playing ranked? We played rank religiously and It's not like we were asked if we wanted dynamic Q, we were presented with a decision. In the same vein, where were all the people that enjoy dynamic Q saying how they wanted it to replace solo Q all these years?

It's fine to not like playing solo but that's the point, the people that played in that Q regularly did like it and Riot had no business touching that. Solo Q is competitive in its own way, getting 4 monkeys to work together is satisfying and was a big part of the experience. Making team ranked the flex queue should have been the first course of action and not a backtrack because now we have people that enjoyed the new queue getting the short end of the stick. It's sad that the game will get worse for a group of players but what can you do, solo Q was there first.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's kind of a silly argument, why would solo Q players need to validate playing ranked? We played rank religiously and It's not like we were asked if we wanted dynamic Q, we were presented with a decision. In the same vein, where were all the people that enjoy dynamic Q saying how they wanted it to replace solo Q all these years?

It's fine to not like playing solo but that's the point, the people that played in that Q regularly did like it and Riot had no business touching that. Solo Q is competitive in its own way, getting 4 monkeys to work together is satisfying and was a big part of the experience. Making team ranked the flex queue should have been the first course of action and not a backtrack.

except everyone always talked about the entire opposite, how solo q was a terrible experience, dealing with strangers sucked, no one took it seriously, etc.

except everyone always talked about the entire opposite, how solo q was a terrible experience, dealing with strangers sucked, no one took it seriously, etc.
People that said that probably didn't actively play ranked - and for good reason, it wasn't meant to be something for everyone. If it were such a terrible experience, people wouldn't play ranked which was far from the truth. Dynamic Q came to get more people into ranked and not because ranked population was low.

I mean, how many times have you read here in this thread over the years how normals are a joke and ranked is the real way to play?

zkylon

zkylewd
People that said that probably didn't actively play ranked - and for good reason, it wasn't meant to be something for everyone. If it were such a terrible experience, people wouldn't play ranked which was far from the truth. Dynamic Q came to get more people into ranked and not because ranked population was low.

I mean, how many times have you read here in this thread over the years how normals are a joke and ranked is the real way to play?
there's other reasons why ppl played ranked regardless of format:
- much better matchmaking than normals
- free skin
- "leveling up" through ranks
- normals draft q times are terrible
- some albeit primitive stat tracking
- league is an awesome game and ranked is the most competitive mode

these things are still there in dynamic q, i'm glad they tried to improve it cos old ranked was trash (remember how you had to spent like most of champ select trying to get people not to troll you out of your role?). people loved elo instead of ranking tiers, etc.

idk, i feel ppl have a bad case of rosed tinted glass for this shit, no one has ever said a good thing about ranked in my like almost 5 years of playing this game

Leezard

I think new champ select was great, and DQ + new champ select was a net positive compared to old ranked. Current diamond ranks are solo/duo queue + new champ select and that's even better, even if I didn't have huge issues with 3/4/5 mans the one time I did face a 5 man and get lane swapped really sucked.

Next season for diamond+ is probably gonna be just like it is right now but with slightly worse queue times since some people play FQ for 3/4/5 player premades. For me the current system works great, and next season isn't particularly different.

New champ select/role selection is still among the best changes in recent times. Role selection in the old queue system sucked. Especially when you get the crappy premade bots who try to force themselves to get bot lane and proceed to feed.

I just realized all the free skins I've been missing out on since I haven't been able to play... ;___________;

You can, you just won't get adc + support roles guaranteed, which is fine. adcs will have to be able to play another role as well.

Ahh, okay, so then the dream is slightly dead.

All my sister wants to do is support me as an ADC in Ranked. Lol

Quonny

No one wants to support. If an adc can guarantee their role because they queue up with someone who is playing a role no one wants to play, so be it.

Leezard

I just realized all the free skins I've been missing out on since I haven't been able to play... ;___________;

Ahh, okay, so then the dream is slightly dead.

All my sister wants to do is support me as an ADC in Ranked. Lol

You can still 3-player premade in Flex Queue to guarantee bot lane, just like you can do in dynamic queue right now. Only solo/duo queue will be free from that.

Ocara

Daisy is surprisingly tanky

Yeah it was just a practice game, but I built some AP on Ivern and Daisy was able to tank dragon easily spamming shield on her and using bushes to get bonus damage on drag. She walked away with barely any damage taken, and she seems to get the passive tibbers regen when out of combat so she can stay alive for a bit if you roam with her.

Might not work in practice without building a ton of AP, since she apparently gets bonus stats with AP which might have made it seem better than it was. Still, possibly some potential there for low-man early dragons or something.

Side note, its not a practical build but I went basically full AP on him and it was kinda fun. His ratios seem pretty high and that shield can do a lot of damage (as well as soak up a ton of damage.) Ryali's also procs on each auto with your bush passive on, giving you a free ashe passive as long as you pop a bush to stand in/around.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think new champ select was great, and DQ + new champ select was a net positive compared to old ranked. Current diamond ranks are solo/duo queue + new champ select and that's even better, even if I didn't have huge issues with 3/4/5 mans the one time I did face a 5 man and get lane swapped really sucked.

Next season for diamond+ is probably gonna be just like it is right now but with slightly worse queue times since some people play FQ for 3/4/5 player premades. For me the current system works great, and next season isn't particularly different.

New champ select/role selection is still among the best changes in recent times. Role selection in the old queue system sucked. Especially when you get the crappy premade bots who try to force themselves to get bot lane and proceed to feed.
i wish pwyff was a bit more clear what this "perception issue" specifically refers to, if premades or if the value of ur rank cos i don't think premades are a real issue and i think ranked was really bad before dynamic q while i like it a lot now, so this is generally not super great for me at least

i wish pwyff was a bit more clear what this "perception issue" specifically refers to, if premades or if the value of ur rank cos i don't think premades are a real issue and i think ranked was really bad before dynamic q while i like it a lot now, so this is generally not super great for me at least
The perception issue is basically "ranked is less competitive because someone that couldn't get to a certain rank before dynamic Q now can with the help of friends"

Edit - also as Breezy pointed out the whole "premades ruining my games" thing.

You saw it zky

Confirmation bias

It happened here too. "Wow DynQ sucks I hate going up against these premades. Wow DynQ sucks I hate getting these shitty premades on my team."

That's literally it. That's all the perception there is and was.

zkylon

zkylewd
The perception issue is basically "ranked is less competitive because someone that couldn't get to a certain rank before dynamic Q now can with the help of friends"

Edit - also as Breezy pointed out the whole "premades ruining my games" thing.
but wouldn't that get 100% fixed with separate rankings but same queues?

that way i can be a boosted animal which is 100% the purpose of separate rankings (don't take me for a fool telling me "dynamic queue is a different experience") but i don't have bad queue times

You saw it zky

Confirmation bias

It happened here too. "Wow DynQ sucks I hate going up against these premades. Wow DynQ sucks I hate getting these shitty premades on my team."

That's literally it. That's all the perception there is and was.

i think rito shouldn't make decisions based on that kind of people then

i doubt they do, it's a mix of a ton of different things, i just wish they were better at communicating shit

and like if solo q ppl get what they want, then let me choose what i want, let me have actual cool ranked 5s with team names

But they said ranked 5s is coming back 24/7 with the flex queue? And if solo players don't queue for it then it'll go back to being a full team only queie

Top Bottom